PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast ControlView

Barone
01-24-2015, 08:55 AM
IzXQthsErzM

Thierry Henry
01-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Awesome stuff!

Reminds me a little of what you get with the Wii U and it's gamepad.

zetastrike
01-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Really cool. I wonder how he actually made the controller. Would he have used a 3D printer? It looks too wide to have been made from a regular DC pad.

EclecticGroove
01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Really cool. I wonder how he actually made the controller. Would he have used a 3D printer? It looks too wide to have been made from a regular DC pad.

I'd assume it was 3d printed as well. Looks a little too smooth to have been hacked together unless he took a LOT of time.

But I don't see the point really. I mean it's just an a/v splitter sending one set out output a custom controller. It doesn't do anything else other than that.

But seeing that controller made me wish he was able to make a DC portable in that form factor. Now THAT would have been really amazing.

*edit*
That isn't to say this isn't well done, as it is. And he obviously put a lot of work into getting that controller to look good.

The Jackal
01-24-2015, 01:58 PM
That poor Dreamcast; I hate when seeing people stop the disc spinning like that, esp when it's on a 15 year old machine.

xelement5x
01-26-2015, 04:13 PM
This link gives a bit more info on how/what was done:
http://hackaday.com/2015/01/20/a-sega-dreamcast-controller-with-a-built-in-screen/

Plus more links to the actual build I think.

cleeg
01-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Funnily enough I came across this mod today myself, it's a really nice job. I'll bet one could make a handheld about this size with a GDEmu (I want one really badly too), battery life might be a killer though?

I just bought a Dreamcast today with cables and controller for 23 from my local market's 'Retro Cove' stall. It's of course quite yellow, so I'm going to get a tub of oxy action tomorrow and have a go with that (I read that it works without the hydrogen peroxide, so thought it'd be worth a go in the first instance). After this I'd like to give it a high gloss finish (a la Wii). I imagine I could just spray it with clear lacquer, or would I still need to sand it / prime it first?

I want it to look vanilla in terms of original white colour, but shiny!

xelement5x
01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Funnily enough I came across this mod today myself, it's a really nice job. I'll bet one could make a handheld about this size with a GDEmu (I want one really badly too), battery life might be a killer though?

I just bought a Dreamcast today with cables and controller for 23 from my local market's 'Retro Cove' stall. It's of course quite yellow, so I'm going to get a tub of oxy action tomorrow and have a go with that (I read that it works without the hydrogen peroxide, so thought it'd be worth a go in the first instance). After this I'd like to give it a high gloss finish (a la Wii). I imagine I could just spray it with clear lacquer, or would I still need to sand it / prime it first?

I want it to look vanilla in terms of original white colour, but shiny!

If it's pretty yellow I would just use the peroxide man, you can get jugs pretty cheap and use other non-ferrous stuff to displaced the amounts so it doesn't require a lot.