PDA

View Full Version : GameGear Exclusive Games & MasterSystem differences

tbp
01-30-2015, 03:34 PM
What are the games that only exist on GameGear ?
What are the GameGear games which are different from Master System version ones ?

KnightWarrior
02-04-2015, 02:10 AM
Sonic 2 Master System has different Boss Music then the Game Gear one

cleeg
02-04-2015, 02:32 AM
G-LOC is different on both systems. I always likedcthe GG version, though I have only seen the MS version on YouTube so couldn't compare. Sonic 1 has some differences too like graphic colours and the sprite being different.

KnightWarrior
02-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Can people stop saying Sonic 1

Streets of Rage is another one, Stage 2 is different..I have to play it again, I have both the GG/SMS version of the Game

j_factor
02-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Alien Syndrome. They're both ports of the same arcade game, but the Game Gear version was ported from scratch and not based on the existing SMS version. Although the lower resolution is a bit of a drawback, the GG version was done much better, and in fact is the only somewhat decent port of the game.

Sonic 2 has several small differences, most notably the boss of Underground Zone is relatively easy on the Master System, while being notoriously difficult in the Game Gear version.

GG exclusives should be a separate thread, there's plenty of them. Also I'm not sure if you mean just not on SMS, or exclusive overall.

cleeg
02-04-2015, 03:33 AM
Can people stop saying Sonic 1

Sonic 1 Sonic 1 Sonic 1! Couldn't help myself!

Also, I like how the OP has a little yellow sign in it, one of the differences on Sonic 1, as the GG has them and the MS hasn't. Okay, I'm done with Sonic 1.

Gogogadget
02-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Pretty sure Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 both have the warning signs to tell you theres a hazard coming.

zetastrike
02-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Batman Returns:

1) Snow effects in stage one in the GG version
2) Weapons work differently. In the SMS game, you power up your batarang to fly farther and faster, in the GG game, you can select from three power/range levels right off the bat.
3) SMS version has one hit death, GG has life bar.
4) Some boss battles in the SMS take place on a completely black screen, in the GG there is at least a floor.

KnightWarrior
02-05-2015, 03:09 PM
I played though Stage 3 on SoR on the Master System

Different Stages between the SMS & GG version after Stage 1

vintagegamecrazy
02-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Psychic World is a completely different game with different stage layouts and much more between the two versions.

Raistlin
02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Nice thread. I did not know the differences between both SoR games. I am excited to see further differences.

Jeckidy
03-16-2015, 05:26 AM
Is Castle of Illusion on Game Gear basically the SMS ROM stuck on a GG cartridge? The one I have looks like something you'd play using the SMS-to-GG adapter. Kind of a shame. Good thing Legend of Illusion is tailored for the screen.

tbp
09-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Is Wolfchild exactly the same on Master System or not ?

BrianC
10-15-2015, 04:10 AM
SoR has more than stage differences, SMS version is much closer to the Genesis version since it has all three characters (no Adam on GG) and all moves intact (some hold moves are missing on GG). Graphics are also more detailed on SMS than GG.

Aside from the different Sonic sprite, Sonic 1 some other differenes from the GG version. Bonus stages are different, bosses have differences due to the different resolution of the GG and SMS and how the Sonic sprite was made smaller, but everything else stayed the same size (first boss can be hit while at the top of the screen on GG, but not SMS for example). Stage layout is mostly the same, but one of the Sky Base areas is different and some things have been moved around.

GG Castle of Illusion is very similar to the SMS version (GG version is running in SMS mode), but has a different sprite for the treasure chest.

Outrun GG is a different port from the SMS.

Games completely different between GG/SMS:
Aerial Assault
G-Loc
GP Rider
Power Strike II
Shinobi (US box says Shinobi, title screen and JP box says GG Shinobi)

needler420
10-19-2015, 03:17 AM
This entire thread just talks about differences between games that were multiplatform but never mentions one game that is actually exclusive to game gear.

Black_Tiger
10-19-2015, 10:46 AM
This entire thread just talks about differences between games that were multiplatform but never mentions one game that is actually exclusive to game gear.

Same or similar name, but completely different games, are exclusive and different games.

Some more are Panzer Dragoon Mini, Shining Force Gaiden III, Phantasy Star Gaiden, Phantasy Star Adventure, Royal Stone, Eternal Legend, Sylvan Tale...

needler420
10-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Same or similar name, but completely different games, are exclusive and different games.

Some more are Panzer Dragoon Mini, Shining Force Gaiden III, Phantasy Star Gaiden, Phantasy Star Adventure, Royal Stone, Eternal Legend, Sylvan Tale...

But they aren't different games. If the same game has a bonus level or feature for one platform but not the other just means there is a inferior version. It's still the same dam game.

Jeckidy
02-03-2016, 11:44 PM
From what I know, most GG games are ports of Master System games, and often times, the Master System versions were better. The only advantage to having the GG version is usually that it may be cheaper and/or more common than its SMS counterpart. Yes, some were actually entirely different rather than ports. Psychic World was a good example that was already cited, and one that I always recall to mind when asked this question. It's obvious why GG Shinobi focuses on melee attacks rather than shurikens because the resolution is too damn small to effectively aim and watch for flying projectiles. That's why they made an entirely new Shinobi for GG. Every now and then, when the two are similar, the GG version is better, but 99% of the time, that's not the case.

Black_Tiger
02-04-2016, 12:12 AM
I don't think that most Game Gear games are ports of SMS games. SMS-to-GG ports usually don't bother upgrading the color much and GG-to-SMS ports don't usually have much effort put into balancing the color for the SMS palette. So it's usually obvious which one was the target platform, but I don't have time to compare hundreds of games. Thr number of GG exclusives alone should be a strong enough sign that most games are not SMS ports.

Tanooki
04-26-2016, 01:40 PM
I forget, maybe someone can remind me as it has been a couple years since I last had it -- Ninja Gaiden on SMS vs the GG? I have the GG one now, solid game, brutal restarts if you die though. I don't believe it's the same game other than in name.

GelmiR
04-29-2016, 05:13 AM
I think the Game Gear version of Star Wars is the only one that has an extra level? The game starts on the Corellian corvette with Leia as playable character.
Edit: Forgot... Luke's landspeeder is also replaced with side-scrolling levels.

Don't know about many exclusive games, these are the ones I have:
- Itchy & Scratchy
- Sonic Triple Trouble
- Tails Adventure
- Super Star Wars Return Of The Jedi
- Ax Battler

Black_Tiger
04-29-2016, 07:53 AM
I forget, maybe someone can remind me as it has been a couple years since I last had it -- Ninja Gaiden on SMS vs the GG? I have the GG one now, solid game, brutal restarts if you die though. I don't believe it's the same game other than in name.

The SMS Ninja Gaiden game is much more like the NES games.

Melf
05-02-2016, 03:38 PM
The Game Gear has a bunch of exclusive RPGs, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find just how strong it is in the genre. This is just a partial list:

- Ax Battler
- Crystal Warriors
- Defenders of Oasis
- Eternal Legend
- Head Buster (has English patch)
- Lunar: Samposuru Gakuen (rereleased on the Saturn as "Magic School Lunar!")
- Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Magic Knight Rayearth 2
- Phantasy Star Gaiden (has English patch)
- Royal Stone (has English patch)
- Shining Force Gaiden
- Shining Force: Sword of Hajya
- Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict

There are also lots of other great exclusives. Again, here are just a few:

- Arena: Maze of Death
- Game Gear Shinobi
- Shinobi: Silent Fury
- Tails' Adventure
- Tails' Skypatrol
- Tempo Jr.
- X-Men
- X-Men: Gamemaster's Legacy
- X-Men: Mojo's World

Tanooki
05-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't Dragon Crystal work that list too? It's a rogue style RPG overhead turn based title.

I'm not usually a fan of the style as I never can figure out the single minded coder logic in the genre, but I have a copy of that Shining Force Sword of Hajya coming my way this weekend or early next week and I'm curious about it (along with JP the Lost World and Prince of Persia too.)

BrianC
05-03-2016, 11:41 PM
Wouldn't Dragon Crystal work that list too? It's a rogue style RPG overhead turn based title.

Dragon Crystal has a SMS version.

Popful
05-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Pretty sure Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 both have the warning signs to tell you theres a hazard coming.

Nope, only Sonic 1 had that, to my memory.

Gogogadget
05-04-2016, 04:41 PM
I played Sonic 1 GG recently and you're right, it has no hazard signs.

Sonic 2 does though, and pretty much requires them since it's a poor port.

Popful
05-04-2016, 04:58 PM
I played Sonic 1 GG recently and you're right, it has no hazard signs.

Sonic 2 does though, and pretty much requires them since it's a poor port.

I think you're confused, I said Sonic 1 GG did have warning signs (though they're only in GHZ). 11366

Sonic 2 GG definitely is a terribly optimized port, though. Sonic 2 8-bit was horribly cheap to begin with, and the GG's smaller screen just makes it worse.

Tanooki
05-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Ahh damn that's right. I've had the SMS twice in its history, that game I think I had it one of those times. Oddly I was introduced to it through emulation devices mostly, the latest being that SMS/GG emulator handheld atgames made that unlike their Genesis one they made actually does not suck yet it's a shame it has no SD card slot.

I think I read about a SMS device for the GG before fairly recently but it appeared to be there were 2 revisions of it, guess that second one worked out a few kinks. Not quite sure it would be worth the effort personally as a good many of the SMS games I liked anyway were GG ports as it was.

Gogogadget
05-04-2016, 06:27 PM
The reduced screen size is 100% of the problem, you'll forever run into things and die because you just can't see enough.

Sonic Advance it isnt

saturndual32
09-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Do any games released on both systems run better on the Game Gear?. I ask this because since its runs at a lower resolution and thus is displaying less stuff on screen, maybe there is a performance boost. Like in maybe less flickering, slowdown or a better frame rate. I dont know how the hardware works, so it may be a dumb question.

An example would be Monster World 2 running at 30 fps on SMS, is it the same on GG?. Also Donald Duck Deep Duck Trouble (gorgeous game), is kinda slow on SMS and can get choppy in parts, is the GG version the same?. I dont have access to a GG to compare myself, and youtube has mostly emulator captures, so...

Flygon
09-12-2016, 11:14 PM
The Game Gear just scales down the game for the GG screen. It's still running at the full SMS resolution, internally.

saturndual32
09-12-2016, 11:19 PM
The Game Gear just scales down the game for the GG screen. It's still running at the full SMS resolution, internally.

Oh, so no extra resources by displaying at a lower resolution. Thanks Flygon.

OmegaMax
09-17-2016, 03:14 PM
GG has a much larger color palette