PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man

KnightWarrior
02-04-2015, 09:30 PM
It could've been better ..US Gold did a good job on it

evilevoix
02-04-2015, 10:19 PM
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-177531-58734/Ralph.jpg

KnightWarrior
02-04-2015, 11:33 PM
For the Game Gear, They did a good job...I still love the NES MM Games

Obviously
02-05-2015, 01:20 AM
It's... well... it's not great.

Unlike the redesigned levels for the Game Boy games they just re-used the NES levels wholesale. Those levels are not small screen friendly meaning there are lots and lots of blind jumps and hidden instant deaths. It's playable, but it helps if you know the NES games like the back of your hand already or you're willing to endure loads of cheap deaths.

I really wouldn't recommend it personally. It's just a worse version of the NES games it takes its levels directly from. It's interesting as an oddity though and isn't completely terrible if you must have a Mega Man game on the Game Gear.

The music was also totally murdered in the transition.

A Black Falcon
02-08-2015, 03:48 AM
The two GB/C and GBC Mega Man Xtreme games show how to port a Mega Man game to that resolution (remember, despite the different screen shapes, the GB, GBC, and GG all use the same resolution) -- you resize everything and redesign the game so that it all fits. US Gold's problem is that they didn't do any of that, they just ported the NES game levels straight over into a lower resolution where it doesn't work at all, and they did a shoddy job of it too, as you might expect from US Gold. It's too bad Capcom didn't make a GG Mega Man game itself, it could have been great. The GG Mega Man game isn't the worst -- NES MM4 and 5 are great games -- but it's quite disappointing and flawed, unfortunately.

KnightWarrior
02-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I even played it again on the Game Gear

Now I played it, They should of Ported the Game Boy version and Colored it up & the SE doesn't sound to good

vintagegamecrazy
02-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Overvalued and lousy game if you ask me.

zetastrike
02-15-2015, 06:28 PM
Mega Man fans are nuts if they pay more than $5 for this. The low resolution, jump-scrolling, only two shots onscreen, poor music, and no unique content make this a curiosity at best. US Gold strikes again.

Psychic World is a pretty nice alternative if you want a Mega Man-esque experience on the GG.

vintagegamecrazy
02-15-2015, 09:10 PM
I'll vouch for Psychic World, nice but difficult game. I think I paid about $20 for Mega Man back in the day, I'm happy I have it in my collection but don't play it often and it's one of the few classic Mega Man games that I've never completed. This game is just too frustrating and tedious and difficult because of the zoomed in screen and that is coming from someone who's completed Mega Man and Bass before.

Obviously
02-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Mega Man fans are nuts if they pay more than $5 for this. The low resolution, jump-scrolling, only two shots onscreen, poor music, and no unique content make this a curiosity at best. US Gold strikes again.

Psychic World is a pretty nice alternative if you want a Mega Man-esque experience on the GG.

Yeah. I'm a fanatic for this series and I own every cartridge-based Mega Man game... except this one. It's just a quick and dirty cash grab.

I still need to play Psychic World.

KnightWarrior
02-16-2015, 04:24 PM
How much does a loose copy of Mega Man go for?

I got mine like 4 years ago for $8

vintagegamecrazy
02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
It goes for about $50-60 now loose.

WarmSignal
02-20-2015, 03:58 AM
The zoomed in resolution does make for some cheap deaths. Aside from that, I enjoy the fluidity, the graphics, the music, and yeah I think it's a pretty good handheld Mega Man. For my money, it beats the pants off of anything on the Game Boy, just because I really can't stand to even play a GB.

vintagegamecrazy
02-20-2015, 04:54 AM
No it really doesn't beat the pants of any Game Boy Mega Man; not by a mile!

WarmSignal
02-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Any Mega Man with color and lighting is the better one, for my money.

Obviously
02-20-2015, 02:48 PM
I prefer competent design. GG Mega Man LOOKS nice, but it's a mess.

There are so many better ways to play Game Boy games than on a Game Boy these days, anyway.

No it really doesn't beat the pants of any Game Boy Mega Man; not by a mile!

Game Boy Mega Man 2 is fairly awful. I'd probably take GG Mega Man over that one.

Segaedge
02-21-2015, 03:00 AM
Have you guys played Mega Man PC-DOS?

Thunderblaze16
02-21-2015, 03:47 AM
It's a terrible Mega Man game, but I still play it.

As for Mega Man on DOS, no way in hell.

maxi
02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
I would have a hard time to choose between MM2 for Game Boy, R&F for Wonder Swam and this one which game is the less mediocre.
I wonder if someone port this to the Master System if would be possible to solve at least some of the screen size related problems.

Obviously
02-22-2015, 12:01 AM
It would work better on the Master System, certainly. It still wouldn't be a great port, but at least you'd be able to see what you were doing.

jerry coeurl
08-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Save your money and grab Mega Man V (GB) on your 3DS virtual console instead! Now that's a good portable Mega Man game.

Wesker
08-21-2015, 07:40 PM
In case you may be interested, there's a homebrew version of Mega Man II currently in development for the Master System.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt0tfKx60UA

jerry coeurl
08-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Now that's a game I would love to see on the SMS!

evilevoix
08-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Hopefully FM Synth on mega man!

zetastrike
08-23-2015, 05:49 PM
In case you may be interested, there's a homebrew version of Mega Man II currently in development for the Master System.

Why is it always bloody MM2? I get that it was a lot of peoples' first one, but all the games that came after it improved upon it. That and it's also really unbalanced to the point where I always turn it off when I get to the fortress. The first eight stages are a cakewalk, but the fortress is so annoying and frustrating it ruins the game.

Wesker
08-23-2015, 06:16 PM
If you ask me, he should have started with the first one and then go up from there, but I suppose that Mega Man II is his favourite installment in the series and I believe the game code is pretty well documented too.

Jeckidy
02-09-2016, 04:32 AM
I owned MM for Game Gear and resold it for a decent profit. I don't remember it much except that it was very tacky and frustrating. Then again, I owned Mega Man 2 on GB and although I completed that one, it left absolutely no impression on me that I almost forgot that I once owned it. The hand-held Mega Man games were shit on most systems, IMHO. This one just fetches a high price because of the franchise and that it was a novelty. Even Rockman Mega World/Wily Wars was slow and clunky. Boss battles were slow and dreadful to boot, with even Cutman taking forever to die. Mega Man hasn't had a lot of success with SEGA consoles, but the ones on Saturn were respectable, at least.

And I second Psychic World on GG and SMS as a competent alternative to this turd.

Tanooki
04-26-2016, 02:35 PM
I recently got a GG back in my possession and the more I read about this game as I'm not the Mega Man fan I once was in the 20th century I can say I find it hard to see where the appeal is. Given that in under a year since someone in this thread last quoted a going rate it's now up to $100 for a loose game which seems from comments to be 10-20x over valued. Collectard mentality I guess of those who need them all, or need them all when it comes to Mega Man which is a shame.

vintagegamecrazy
04-26-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm a collectard of sorts but not one who'll pay very much for games. I have literally bought three games from Ebay in about five to six years and they were ones that only pop up on Ebay once or twice every few years and I almost kicked myself for even buying those. I will wait until I get good deals locally or not buy even though I collect to have complete sets for each system. That being said I just don't get the I don't care how much I spend mentality. Mega Man isn't even close to the rarest GG game and still it's the most valuable US cart. It's as if all of these collectards consider it a bigger trophy the more they pay for it. It's almost as if it's an achievement to see how much they can possibly spend on one single game.

Popful
04-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Why is it always bloody MM2? I get that it was a lot of peoples' first one, but all the games that came after it improved upon it. That and it's also really unbalanced to the point where I always turn it off when I get to the fortress. The first eight stages are a cakewalk, but the fortress is so annoying and frustrating it ruins the game.

Hear hear! As much as I like that game, the fortress always bugged me with that one part where, if you run out of a certain item, the stage becomes unwinnable. Also, having the ENTIRE SCREEN flash while bosses take damage during the endgame is no fun for my easily-strained eyes.

Tanooki
04-26-2016, 11:25 PM
That last bit you said, that's the problem right there. Same with those howler monkey kids crying over the release of those new old stock crated NES games. The more crap is worth the better, it's a trophy, if more stuff comes out that dilutes it, or the values swing down it's time to get pissed, cry for blood, and pull out all stops.

Aurora
09-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Would playing this via an emulator in "FullSMS" mode fix some of the problems with the playing field being too small?

tomaitheous
10-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Why is it always bloody MM2? I get that it was a lot of peoples' first one, but all the games that came after it improved upon it.

Did they, though? I think that's subjective. I feel the aesthetics of MM2 (music, graphics, design, etc) out classes the NES MM games that came after it. It's pretty much why I didn't bring the rest over to the PCE for nes2pce projects.

segarule
10-21-2016, 05:51 PM
If you ask me, he should have started with the first one and then go up from there, but I suppose that Mega Man II is his favourite installment in the series and I believe the game code is pretty well documented too.

Me too. I wonder why not MM1. Well, i talked with him and he, in truth, said that he is more fan of MegamanX than MM series. So he can have did a choice based in what he like.