PDA

View Full Version : Defenders of Oasis !!

RPGbandit
02-09-2015, 01:41 PM
I have incredibly fond and nostalgic memories of this game. I first played it in the 7th grade , I fell in love with it, I burned through many AA batteries since i did not have a charger.

Eventually is was too expensive to keep playing i returned both GG and game to their respective owners.

Are there any other RpGs for the system????

Kamahl
02-09-2015, 03:11 PM
You mean Defenders of Oasis :p. Yes there are others but most stayed in Japan I think. If you like Strategy RPGs the Shining Forces and Royal Stone are excelent. There's also a Lunar game I haven't played and at least 1 more RPG. Then there are Sylvan Tale and Tails Adventures which are also very good.

RPGbandit
02-09-2015, 03:25 PM
oops yup, defenders.

Sylvan tale is more action adventure. the shining force games i enjoy on the sega cd . I am only interested in English versions. i will check out tails adventures

Kamahl
02-09-2015, 03:31 PM
tails adventures
It's also action adventure, but I like it a lot. One of the best GG games.

JumpingRyle
02-09-2015, 05:04 PM
There's also Phantasy Star Gaiden, which has been fan translated. But I'm not sure it's any good... Don't confuse it with Phantasy Star Adventure, which is the text adventure PS game for the GG.

tryphon
02-09-2015, 05:17 PM
PS Gaiden is pretty poor (original PS is so much better).

I've heard good things from Golden Axe Warrior.

RPGbandit
02-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Golden Axe Warrior is good is PS Gaiden a traditional RPG? Gaiden means Side Story is it a completely new story?

tryphon
02-09-2015, 06:48 PM
It doesn't take place in Algol and there's no Dark Force (hence the gaiden), but you can meet Alisa (though she's older than in the 1st episode, has purple hair, and has nothing to do outside of Algol, but the game states she's the same person, and there are dialogs in Phantasy Star Generations 2 that seems to be related with PS Gaiden).

It's a traditional RPG.

RPGbandit
02-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Merican release? -either way I'm on board and I want it

Raistlin
02-10-2015, 02:21 PM
I've heard good things from Golden Axe Warrior.

Sorry there is no such game for Game Gear. Maybe you confused it with Ax Battler or you mean the Master System?

Daria
02-10-2015, 03:43 PM
GameGear RPGs
English releases: Defenders of Oasis (RPG), Crystal Warriors (SRPG), Shining Force Sword of Haiya (SRPG), Ax Battler (hybrid - think Zelda 2), Dragon Crystal (Rogue-Like), Wonder Boy - Dragon's Trap (ARPG)
Fan Translated: Head Buster (SRPG), Magic School Lunar (RPG), Madou Monogatari (Puyo Pop Dungeon Crawler), Phantasy Star Gaiden (RPG), Royal Stone (SRPG sequal to Crystal Warriors), SD Gundam: Winner's History (SRPG), Shining Force: Final Conflict (SRPG), Sylvan Tale (Action RPG)

Personally I grew up with Defenders of Oasis and loved it. That and Shining Force are really the best of the US library, and Shining Force was better remade on the Sega CD. I always wanted Crystal Warriors, but it's not as great as 10 year old me had imagined. There's some good stuff on the translated front, Royal Stone and Final Conflict are excellent. I've been playing Lunar lately, it's weird at first but seems to be an excellent title as well. You start off on an abandoned island with very little instruction on where to go: and there's a ton of buildings to explore with nothing in them. Once you get past the awkward and boring introduction phase the story picks up and things get silly/fun.

RPGbandit
02-10-2015, 08:39 PM
wow , very informative post. I always thought that GG was a barren wasteland for all things role playing except for Oasis , I wanna play PSgaiden first though. Im a sucker for little known traditional rpgs

Daria
02-11-2015, 02:19 AM
It's also action adventure, but I like it a lot. One of the best GG games.

So I looked into Tail's Adventure, and it looks amazing. Sort of a Metroid/Vania type game. Not much of an RPG though. But still a cool platformer I'd wish I'd had as a kid (instead of Chakan or Dracula at least. Eeech.

SegaSonic91
04-18-2015, 09:47 AM
I always wished there were GG->MCD games rather than just SFCD. So many awesome RPGs on the GG!!! SEGA made so many great RPGs on the 'Gear and all but ignored the MD/MCD (even the "MEGA Roleplay Project" did not produce enough!) and even the Saturn. I REALLY wish that Sylvain Tale, Defenders of Oasis, Ariel and a few others had been on CD. I ESPECIALLY wish that Phantasy Star Gaiden and Tail's Adventure had been remade on the MCD or Saturn. I will never forgive SEGA for no new Phantasy Star on the Saturn!

Ooops, I forgot about Golden Axe Densetsu!! I wish that had a 16-BIT version, much like Golden Axe Warrior.

tryphon
04-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Why CD ? Isn't MD sufficient to hadle them ?

SegaSonic91
04-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Well yeah, of course the MD was enough, but Christ knows the MCD needed it more! That and they would not have been restricted to 24-MBIT, could have far better music and of course, voices and cinemas.

JumpingRyle
04-18-2015, 11:18 AM
The MCD had a ton of RPGs:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/segacd/the-sega-cd-mega-cd-rpg-library

It's just that very few were localized and most are of questionable quality.

SegaSonic91
04-19-2015, 05:50 AM
I have owned just a bout a full set of JP MCD games since 1996, it's been complete since 2002. I have played them all and most are complete shite. Ironic considering the MCD holds ownership of 2 of my 3 equal favourite No.1 games of all time. That awesome avatar of yours would be my favourite MD game of all time :D

I was mainly referring to SEGA though. 3X3 EYES is one of THE highest quality 16-BIT RPGs SEGA made, I wish so badly that they continued that, but other than Popful Mail, they did not. Even After Armageddon Gaiden is not that great to me. The graphics are nowhere near as nice as say PSIV or Surging Aura which of course used the PSIV engine. The quality of Victor's Daihou Shinden and Compile's Shadowrun graphics are the quality SEGA SHOULD have aimed for on that system. Lodoss tou Senki and Arslan Senki are so poor looking, I do not even want to go there.

I think that one of the problems with the MCD's RPG library is that the majority was made by Wolf Team/RIOT/Telenet. I loved ARCUS I II III (despite not being a fan of 3D dungeon RPGs), Cosmic Fantasy Stories (I was gutted when I got it in 1995 and it would not work with my Datel CD-X :( Had to buy a new CD-X with a newer firmware and it worked!) and Fhey Aeria. RIOT's Mahou Shoujo Silky Lip and A Rank Thunder were pretty awesome too, but I do not class those as RPGs. They are more like Adventure games. The others were pretty low quality, Aisle Lord... UGH! The cover made it look awesome thanks only to the beautiful paintings of my very favourite character designer; Mikimoto Haruhiko. The game inside was crap! I will never, ever understand how the people that made trash like Aisle Lord, Earnest Evans and Devastator (although I DO have a soft spot for the last two and Wolf Team's SEGA games), made EX-RANZA on the MD and Tales of Phantasia on the SFC!!

I do need to go and play Illusion City one day. It was another I got back in 1996, but I never had any clue as to what I was supposed to do. Now that I read Japanese, I STILL had no idea what to do! The graphics were quite poor quality to me and it looked more like a poor SMS game than a MCD game should. I appreciate it a little more these days after seeing the X68000 version it was based on, but unlike the X68000 version, the MCD game has horrible, choppy scrolling and some other problems. I wish Microcabin had made more than one game for the system (like so many others!), they did good work on the PCE. Fray is one I also wish had been on the MCD instead of the 'Gear. I love the PCE game. I may be forgetting some other good RPGs on the system, I hope not. I always wished that those 3D dungeon RPGs had been "normal" RPGs. Much like SEGA's plethora of Strategy RPGs on the Saturn. I am just not a fan of them, other than Shinning Force, Front Mission of Quest's Ogre series.

SEGA's offerings for the MCD were overall, rubbish. It gave us some classics such as Popful Mail, 3X3 EYES, SFCD, FFCD, SWITCH and of course, SONIC CD, but there should have been so, so , soooooo many more on that list. If it was not for Game Arts, Victor, CORE Design and the aforementioned Telenet games, the system would

EDIT: Silly me! How could I forget a "classic" like SEGA's Woodstock: Funky Horror Band! The game that looked like a shitty version of Golden Axe Warrior on the SMS! Way to launch a system you were charging the same price as the NEO-GEO AES, SEGA! I am and will always be bitter for the way the MCD was handled.

crazyteknohed
08-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Hey, I like Lodoss tou Senki! The graphics might be shoddy but the game plays pretty well. The presentation is solid too with cinematics lifted from the OVA and a nice orchestral soundtrack.