PDA

View Full Version : Classic Game Room reviews the Sega SG-1000 MK II

gamevet
03-01-2015, 01:00 PM
UpjPw0lQKSQ

It sort of reminds me of the graphics and sound of the Colecovision.

zetastrike
03-01-2015, 01:44 PM
He doesn't know the difference between the SG-1000 II and the Mk III.....

Somehow I'm not surprised. :bang:

gamevet
03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't expect everyone to know about the Mark II and Mark III. Yeah, MK III is pretty much the Master System

Lan Di
03-01-2015, 03:10 PM
He doesn't know the difference between the SG-1000 II and the Mk III.....

Somehow I'm not surprised. :bang:

I noticed that as well. Hopefully he just used the wrong choice of words.

goldenband
03-01-2015, 05:36 PM
It sort of reminds me of the graphics and sound of the Colecovision.

The architecture is pretty much identical, yeah. Lots of ports between the two have been done, though the CV BIOS and certain SG-1000 timing issues have occasionally gotten in the way (I think a Hang-On II port to CV was shelved for that reason).

BTW the Mark III will have the dark/messed-up color palette, so if he plays SG-1000 games on both the difference should become apparent very quickly. See the bottom of this post (http://www.benryves.com/journal/2865338) for an example.

Zz Badnusty
03-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Jeeze, now we'll have even more people calling the SG-1000 II a "Mark Two" and confused about the fact that the Mark III is an entirely different platform.

Knowing what you're talking about isn't a qualification needed for anointing oneself as a game journalist, no doubt.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Teehee! It happens. Mark is bound to make mistakes. After all, he just recieved both systems in the mail! The nice thing about Youtube is that he can easily rectify the error by correcting his early statement with captions or filming another video. He's done this in the past.

Since we're on th topic of CGR, I would just like to give Bussler some kudos. As of late, he is alot more communicative than he was early on. For example, he recently took the time to participate in a question and answer session via Skype with some of the smaller gaming channels. It was nice of him to do that. As expected, he was the same jovial guy that we see in his videos.

zetastrike
03-01-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't expect everyone to know about the Mark II and Mark III. Yeah, MK III is pretty much the Master System

Because it's not like he could go to wikipedia before hitting the record button.

When your viewers are so up your ass, you don't really have to be good or try anymore.

gamevet
03-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Because it's not like he could go to wikipedia before hitting the record button.

When your viewers are so up your ass, you don't really have to be good or try anymore.

He does not take his reviews seriously. That's part of his shtick. He'll tell you what he likes about a game, or system, and he'll usually have some dry humor thrown in there to shake things up a little.

LordGeo
03-01-2015, 10:50 PM
He does not take his reviews seriously. That's part of his shtick. He'll tell you what he likes about a game, or system, and he'll usually have some dry humor thrown in there to shake things up a little.

Exactly. Plus, when Mark reviews the Mark III he'll likely properly describe it as the Japanese version of the Master System (which it technically is), and likely apologize for the mistake in the SG-1000 II review; he's done stuff like that in other reviews before.

maxi
03-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Are they the same channel with this name which reviews games since early 2000's?
If so, I never liked their reviews, but at least this one is better than their average.

Thierry Henry
03-02-2015, 07:59 AM

And they really are up his ass.
Heaven forbid he gets any criticism. His minions will jump to his defense faster than a scalded haint. (I don't know what a "haint" is, but apparently a scalded one can run really fast!) :lol:

Gogogadget
03-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Who really cares if he knows what a Mark III is though.

I'm sure most people on the internet, especially in this community just look for reasons to get all pissy at stuff, even if a quick google search would of done the trick.

Obviously
03-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Who really cares if he knows what a Mark III is though.

I'm sure most people on the internet, especially in this community just look for reasons to get all pissy at stuff, even if a quick google search would of done the trick.

I think years of fighting a long over console war have left a lot of Sega fans kind of bitter and defensive. I love you guys but seriously, sometimes you go looking for trouble and even tear down your allies for the hell of it.

I agree it's an embarrassing thing for a Sega fan to not know about the Mark III, especially if you're making a show on the Internet.

Maybe though there's something to be said for him not looking up information about something he didn't know about on Wikipedia and giving a true first impression unspoiled by outside information?

zetastrike
03-02-2015, 03:45 PM
I think years of fighting a long over console war have left a lot of Sega fans kind of bitter and defensive. I love you guys but seriously, sometimes you go looking for trouble and even tear down your allies for the hell of it.

I agree it's an embarrassing thing for a Sega fan to not know about the Mark III, especially if you're making a show on the Internet.

Maybe though there's something to be said for him not looking up information about something he didn't know about on Wikipedia and giving a true first impression unspoiled by outside information?

Yeah, but still if you're the head of a prominent internet show, you should try to have an idea of what the things you're making videos about actually are. The information isn't difficult to find. I get the feeling of "Effort? Why do that when I can ramble about robot ninja clone nonsense and 80s movies during a game review?" His fans will eat up whatever he uploads. This happens to every big youtube personality eventually.

Some good things I can say about Mark are that he doesn't associate himself with the YT gaming "good ole boys club", comes across as likable (and not like some stupid nerd), and he doesn't have an axe to grind. But beyond that his videos are empty fluff.

Obviously
03-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I agree his videos are mostly fluff. That's what they've always been. I'm just puzzled that people expect more from him.

zetastrike
03-02-2015, 03:50 PM
I agree his videos are mostly fluff. That's what they've always been. I'm just puzzled that people expect more from him.

There is a place for that. When I do watch his videos, it's mostly late at night, after studying or a night out when I'm too tired to watch something more involved like Game Sack or Generation 16.

His early videos (08-09) were of a better quality than afterword. Back then he mostly dealt with games that he had history with, many from his own collection. He actually had things to say about them. When people starting sending anything and everything to him, that's when the air got let out of it. I can't totally blame him for not having a ton to say about this or that import Saturn game he saw for the first time yesterday, but the production schedule is built around more uploads = more money.

gamevet
03-02-2015, 04:37 PM
The 1st sign that he doesn't take these reviews seriously, is that he has some goofy intro with each video. He even shows his hand trying to insert a Genesis cart into the slot of the SG-1000.

His videos are for entertainment 1st and foremost. If you happen gain an interest in a game or console that he is showing, there are far more serious youtube channels that will provide that information.

FoxHound
03-04-2015, 03:34 PM
The 1st sign that he doesn't take these reviews seriously, is that he has some goofy intro with each video. He even shows his hand trying to insert a Genesis cart into the slot of the SG-1000.

His videos are for entertainment 1st and foremost. If you happen gain an interest in a game or console that he is showing, there are far more serious youtube channels that will provide that information.

agreed, That's how I take all CGR videos as entertainment generally

LordGeo
03-04-2015, 05:29 PM
agreed, That's how I take all CGR videos as entertainment generally

Same with me, though I have bought (& really enjoyed) a game or two based solely off of a CGR review by Mark. He essentially lets the games speak for themselves, while adding in how he feels about the game. His humor simply adds to everything.

IrishNinja
03-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Exactly. Plus, when Mark reviews the Mark III he'll likely properly describe it as the Japanese version of the Master System (which it technically is), and likely apologize for the mistake in the SG-1000 II review; he's done stuff like that in other reviews before.

this - also, just glad to see this thing talked about; i adore CGR but i'd love to see GameSack do an ep on this system.
also, i totally sent in a genesis copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors last year, here's to hoping it gets reviewed soon!

Zz Badnusty
03-04-2015, 06:12 PM
i totally sent in a genesis copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors last year, here's to hoping it gets reviewed soon!
Considering the money this guy must be making off of his videos, why on earth do people send him stuff for free?

Obviously
03-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Considering the money this guy must be making off of his videos, why on earth do people send him stuff for free?

Maybe they want to see a favorite or an obscure game featured, maybe they want to be mentioned on the show, maybe they just like guy? Maybe that's dumb but hey, it's their games to donate.

I think in the early days of the Youtube channel he took games on loan, but that got out of hand when people started sending in mountains of games.

IrishNinja
03-04-2015, 07:31 PM

had an extra copy & it's one of my favorite games of all time, wanted to see it reviewed - plus he's a good dude that's run an awesome show forever now

SEGA.GENESIS1989
03-04-2015, 07:36 PM

I pondered on this question quite some time ago and the reason I came up with is simple: They are doing it because they are fans of the show. They simply enjoy his content. Mohamed from Qatar, Felicity from Worcestershire, etc. are all fans of the show. Within the gaming community, you rarely see people behaving in an altruistic fashion. Instead most Youtube gaming videos tend to be self-centred, devolving in a "show & tell" sort of atmosphere: "Look at me, look what I have, this game is rare!"

It's nice to see a few people buck the trend of hoarding and instead donate games to someone who they know will enjoy them. After all, they are recieving his content for free and it's a way for them to showing their appreciation for the level of enjoyment his show provides.

zetastrike
03-04-2015, 08:09 PM
I pondered on this question quite some time ago and the reason I came up with is simple: They are doing it because they are fans of the show. They simply enjoy his content. Mohamed from Qatar, Felicity from Worcestershire, etc. are all fans of the show. Within the gaming community, you rarely see people behaving in an altruistic fashion. Instead most Youtube gaming videos tend to be self-centred, devolving in a "show & tell" sort of atmosphere: "Look at me, look what I have, this game is rare!"

It's nice to see a few people buck the trend of hoarding and instead donate games to someone who they know will enjoy them. After all, they are recieving his content for free and it's a way for them to showing their appreciation for the level of enjoyment his show provides.

My thought would be "what if he already has 4 copies of this and I'm giving it away for nothing?"

I figure unless it's something fairly obscure, he probably already has it.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
My thought would be "what if he already has 4 copies of this and I'm giving it away for nothing?"

Don't forget CGR is no longer a one man show. I imagine that he gives extra copies of the game to his staff.

Maybe at some point he may hold a contest for subscribers? If I had a Youtube channel with a large subscriber base, this would be something I would definitely do.

zetastrike
03-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Don't forget CGR is no longer a one man show. I imagine that he gives extra copies of the game to his staff.

Maybe at some point he may hold a contest for subscribers? If I had a Youtube channel with a large subscriber base, this would be something I would definitely do.

Oh Lord the thought of Derek playing/reviewing it would make me rather smash it with a hammer.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
03-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Oh Lord the thought of Derek playing/reviewing it would make me rather smash it with a hammer.

Derek is a pretty good reviewer when he wants to be. He puts alot more effort in his reviews of Nintendo software.

However, when he reviews software on other platforms, it is of the lowest order IMHO.

If he had to put the same level of effort and care in all of his reviews, I would enjoy the CGR Undertow alot more.

Obviously
03-04-2015, 09:28 PM

I wondered how they handled duplicates so I looked into it. Apparently there's an email form for checking if a game is already in their library.

LordGeo
03-04-2015, 09:43 PM

That's more or less why I donated stuff to CGR. I'm a fan of the show, and I knew that the stuff that I donated will have a very good home. In terms of some stuff that I donated that has since been reviewed on the show, there's Frogger & Final Zone on the Genesis, ExciteBots for Wii, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Dreamcast, & the Fairchild Channel F System II; CGRundertow did one or two games, too. In fact, Mark got the Fairchild working better than I ever could, proving that it's better with CGR than it ever was with me (though I couldn't find out how to fix the busted controller, either); just seeing it in every episode that features the giant CRT TV makes me happy, since it's right there alongside the Famicom (I didn't send that, though).

midnightrider
03-05-2015, 03:41 PM
I think years of fighting a long over console war have left a lot of Sega fans kind of bitter and defensive.

A lot? There's ~20-30 of us logged in here at any given time, out of 7,800 total members. 30 is not even 1% of the total. Even if all 7,800 members were logged in all the time, that's still 392,200 away from being 1% of all Genesis owners. If every other side of the internet is nothing but loud minorities, this side's no different.

Obviously
03-05-2015, 07:18 PM
A lot? There's ~20-30 of us logged in here at any given time, out of 7,800 total members. 30 is not even 1% of the total. Even if all 7,800 members were logged in all the time, that's still 392,200 away from being 1% of all Genesis owners. If every other side of the internet is nothing but loud minorities, this side's no different.

Yeah, I know that of course. I was just venting.

I wasn't trying to generalize all Sega fans. It was a criticism mainly leveled at the active community.