PDA

View Full Version : Code Eliminator for the Sega Genesis (WIP)

slobu
06-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Still very early in the process. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ3s0jSH7UU

ComradeOj
06-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Looks cool! Although, I'll admit I don't totally understand the gameplay. I like the how the word "CODE" is written on the title screen. I think it looks really cool with the flickery text effects.

A few questions:

What program are you using to make the graphics? I use ImaGenesis, but it's pretty limited.
What language are you programming it in?
What program are you using to make the music, and what kind of sound driver?

slobu
06-23-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm keeping details of my source and tools mostly under wraps until I can present it nicely like Sebastian Mihal does http://sebastianmihai.com/ccd/

I set aside one of my palettes to be the first 16 colors in MSPAINT. I then just have blank .BMP templates I work with in MSPAINT for 8x8 24x24 and 32x32 sprites.

Stefs XGM driver is a godsend for music and effects. I've been using SFXR for samples and haven't decided on any one MIDI program for music yet.
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28935-New-XGM-driver-for-Sega-Megadrive-!

So far the game has you moving up and down shooting at bits of code in the middle of the screen. You must destroy a quota of code blocks, monsters and bonus items to reach the next level. As you play a bonus meter ticks down. If you reach the quota before the bonus runs out the bonus is added directly to your score. If the bonus runs out an indestructible blue fish head starts shooting from the sides. You may warp to the other side of the screen. While warping the player is invincible.

zyrobs
06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
It looks like a NES game.

slobu
06-23-2015, 05:26 PM
It looks like a NES game.

Pretty much. This is my first Sega Genesis game. All game design, code, art and sound are by me. I don't expect single screen shooter/puzzle games to be everyone's cup of tea.

chilled
06-24-2015, 07:46 AM
All BasiEgaXorz games look also like (sometimes even sub-par) 8-bit games so what? It's not like we are paying 10-20 people working in development companies here...

slobu
06-24-2015, 09:42 AM
I get that it looks 8-bit and NES style. That's not entirely unintentional.

Chilled has a great point. As I said, this is my first sega genesis game and I'm doing everything myself. I expect constructive criticism because of it.

chilled
06-24-2015, 10:06 AM
I didn't mean THIS game uses BasiEgaXorz, I meant there's a certain aesthetic to many homebrew games and in the case of those using this compiler, I guess it is the result of the limitation of the tool itself and/or the fact there's not a whole crew of people being weekly paid to code it.
Nes style is nice anyway

slobu
06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
I didn't mean THIS game uses BasiEgaXorz, I meant there's a certain aesthetic to many homebrew games and in the case of those using this compiler, I guess it is the result of the limitation of the tool itself and/or the fact there's not a whole crew of people being weekly paid to code it.
Nes style is nice anyway

Yeah, sorry about that. Took it the wrong way initially. I get it now :)

sega16
06-25-2015, 12:55 AM
Did anyone else come here expecting a kind of automatic dead code elimination tool? Regardless this looks like a good game.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
06-26-2015, 02:49 AM
I get that it looks 8-bit and NES style. That's not entirely unintentional.

Chilled has a great point. As I said, this is my first sega genesis game and I'm doing everything myself. I expect constructive criticism because of it.

It's good to hear that you are willing to listen to constructive criticism. The concept is pretty interesting. The sprite work and animation however needs a bit more work. At a minimum, I would add some color to the sprite to make the game look alot more appealing. Personally, I would consider redesigning him entirely.

In my humble option, the animation in which the character is firing projectiles should be redesigned. To make things interesting, I would have the character fire a Hadoken type projectile similar to what we see Ken or Ryu do in Street Fighter II.

With respect to the teleporting, the sound of buzzing is a bit off-putting. That is something that I would encourage you to change. The sound is not very audibly appealing.

The background music is decent to good. Overall, I find it quite pleasing. It fits quite well for the intro but I would suggest adding another track for the actual gameplay.

After watching the video, I found the background sounds (i.e. the projectiles destroying blocks of code) is a bit too loud. They seem to compete with the actual music of the game. If possible, I would make the sounds a bit softer.

In closing, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to provide a sprite sheet for all the characters? I would like to examine it. Cheers!

slobu
06-26-2015, 06:04 PM
The original idea was to have an ASCII based shooter on the genesis. That got toned down into a single screen shooter with different objects and code blocks to destroy. The bonus code blocks have yet to be implemented. The greyscale character is a tangent off of the publishers idea to make an LCD game. I figure two player mode could have a slightly blue tinged player and a red tinged player.

I re-worked the warping left/right sound as that was annoying to more than one person. Definitely more subtle now.

The projectiles are pretty much, er, what they are. Not the best implementation ever. Probably one of the worst ways possible. I'm literally using the video RAM as a collision map. This is horrible because of the hoops and hurdles you have to go through to gain access to it. From a higher level perspective it makes a screen full of bullets easy to deal with for collisions. However, this didn't turn out to be a bullet hell game. With my limited skills I'd have to basically re-work the entire engine to get something more decent.

Since this video I've swapped out the in game track and plan on creating more. The title screen and game over screens still have a classical, toned down style.

This is the last month I have for development so I'm scrambling a bit to get the core gameplay done. I'm used to extremely low res sprites and simple animation from my previous work on Atari 2600 games. The sprites will improve but not by much. Not much flight time with Genesis spiriting yet.

The ASCII bitmaps are from a PC BIOs and are believed to be public domain. The character font, numerals and some symbols are from the Oryx tileset which I have licensed.

I'm totally for constructive feedback! I'm most likely going to make some people feel I haven't heard them. In reality I keep everything in mind and try to utilize advice I cannot use now in future games.

ComradeOj
06-26-2015, 06:46 PM
The original idea was to have an ASCII based shooter on the genesis. That got toned down into a single screen shooter with different objects and code blocks to destroy. The bonus code blocks have yet to be implemented. The greyscale character is a tangent off of the publishers idea to make an LCD game. I figure two player mode could have a slightly blue tinged player and a red tinged player.

I re-worked the warping left/right sound as that was annoying to more than one person. Definitely more subtle now.

The projectiles are pretty much, er, what they are. Not the best implementation ever. Probably one of the worst ways possible. I'm literally using the video RAM as a collision map. This is horrible because of the hoops and hurdles you have to go through to gain access to it.

I might be able to help you with that.

I'm working on a game right now, and I'm re-using the background map as a collision map.

Here's how it works:

The graphical map data is loaded into VRAM like normal, but is also loaded into a location in memory I'm calling "Level_Buffer".
I can then use the X and Y position of the character sprite to figure out what graphic block is directly left or right of the character.

Here is the code:

move.l #$00000000,d0
move.l #$00000000,d1

lea (sprite_buffer),a5
move.w (a5),d1 ;Character Y pos is now in d1
lea (sprite_buffer+6),a5
move.w (a5),d0 ;Character X pos is now in d0
move.w scroll_amount,d7 ;Compensate for level scroll
eor.w #$ffff,d7
add.w d7,d0

andi.w #$0ff8,d1 ;Only numbers divisible by 8
andi.w #$0ff8,d0
sub.w #$0060,d0 ;compensate for player size
sub.w #$0078,d1 ;same thing
lsl.w #$03,d1 ;locate tile
lsr.w #$03,d0
add.w d0,d1

lea (level_buffer),a5
add.l d1,a5 ;add offset
move.b (a5),d5
rts

When you call the subroutine, it will take the X and Y position of the character sprite, and figure out what the tile is directly to the right of it, and store it in register D5.
For example, if the ASCII character "3" is touching the right side of the target sprite (in my chase the player character), the program will put "33" in register D5.

This code was designed with a 32 wide 16 tall sprite in mind, so you'll have to tweak it for your needs. You'll also probably want to cut out the move.w scroll_amount,d7 and eor.w #$ffff,d7 instructions, since your game doesn't scroll.

You also need to alter the sub.w #$0060,d0 and sub.w #$0078,d1 depending of what direction you want to work with.

For left, I have:
sub.w #$0078,d0
sub.w #$0078,d1

For right, I have:
sub.w #$0060,d0
sub.w #$0078,d1

For up, I have:
sub.w #$0070,d0
sub.w #$0080,d1

For down, I have
sub.w #$0070,d0
sub.w #$0070,d1

Again, this was meant for 32x16 sprites, so you'll need to do some tweaking.
This is probably not the best method of collision detection. I'm still just learning. I hope I was at least able to help.

slobu
08-31-2015, 04:42 PM
After some feedback on the NES style graphics I decided to switch it up to a simple shmup with larger sprites and some parallax scrolling. Kept the hand drawn feel and ASCII look. The game over screen doesn't actually glitch.. it's just how the recording turned out. ugh. Oh, and I'm playing both 1 and 2 players in this recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRyU72TZ6A

Guntz
08-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Code eliminator? I thought this was some sort of Action Replay/Game Genie device.

LinkueiBR
08-31-2015, 09:24 PM
2 deep 4 me
:rofl:

slobu
09-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah. I'll pick a less confusing name next time.

swlovinist
09-01-2015, 12:25 PM
There are not alot of physical released Sega Genesis homebrew games. I will be producing the game. It has been a great pleasure to work with slobu. This simple shooter game(a cross between 2600 jawbreaker and Zombie Nation) will debut at this years Portland Retrogaming Expo this year. For one or two players, The game has a unique two player co op option in which players share a life bar. Fun for short bursts and high score runs. Also, there will be a Sega CD version offered at a reduced price at the show(game will be identical minus subtle title screen changes). These will be numbered and limited edition show exclusive. Game will not be sold early. Genesis cart version will come cased with manual and "space bug" toy for $40.00. A nearly identical Sega CD version will come with blue DVD case and manual will be offered for a reasonable $25.00. Each version will be limited to 40 numbered copies. One special version will be the PRGE auction as well. This is a kid friendly game and can be enjoyed by the whole family!

Backstory: John and Jason are in crunch mode to release a new homebrew game. Help them deliver the goods by flying through the virtual code world and squashing bugs! Watch out for the infamous show stopper “Space Pickle” at the end of each wave. How far can you go?

BladeJunker
09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
I do like giant floating heads, need more games with those. :) Congratulations on actually making a game and producing copies as I know that isn't easy or cheap to do. I've heard about the Portland Retrogaming Expo, looks like a great time. :D

Don't take this the wrong way but I offer my pixeling skills to you for any future projects, been looking to try making content for others for training purposes. Feel like there's too much distance between the pixel art community and homebrewers, like islands. Offered graphics help to Khan Games once on his LSL port but he never got back to me, guess he liked the double wide pixel AGI look. :lol:

slobu
09-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I do like giant floating heads, need more games with those. :) Congratulations on actually making a game and producing copies as I know that isn't easy or cheap to do. I've heard about the Portland Retrogaming Expo, looks like a great time. :D

Don't take this the wrong way but I offer my pixeling skills to you for any future projects, been looking to try making content for others for training purposes. Feel like there's too much distance between the pixel art community and homebrewers, like islands. Offered graphics help to Khan Games once on his LSL port but he never got back to me, guess he liked the double wide pixel AGI look. :lol:

I'll definitely keep you in mind. Thanks, man! My art style is not going to please everyone. Hand drawn + ASCII is not something seen in genesis games. What this project DID teach me is that doing everything including spriting is a huge chore. It's definitely better to partner with someone :)

SEGA.GENESIS1989
09-02-2015, 11:41 PM
slobu, if I may kindly offer some feedback. I actually preferred the original sprite design of the character. Sure it had a tubby look in terms of form but it fit will with the style of gameplay. Since you've changed the game to play more like a shooter, one thing you may still want to consider is to allow the screen to occasionally toggle diagonally (refer to Wings of Wor) in order to add more variety. You could also include physical barriers to add some challenge to the game. Even though you are releasing the game locally, I would strongly encourage you to improve the game thereafter. Anyways nice effort thus far.

slobu
09-03-2015, 09:32 AM
slobu, if I may kindly offer some feedback. I actually preferred the original sprite design of the character. Sure it had a tubby look in terms of form but it fit will with the style of gameplay. Since you've changed the game to play more like a shooter, one thing you may still want to consider is to allow the screen to occasionally toggle diagonally (refer to Wings of Wor) in order to add more variety. You could also include physical barriers to add some challenge to the game. Even though you are releasing the game locally, I would strongly encourage you to improve the game thereafter. Anyways nice effort thus far.

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I did like the space man sprite. Since some of the feedback indicated I should use larger sprites I tried to scale him up. Unfortunately I could never get the 32x32 pixel version looking good. After several iterations I decided to go with a more Zombie Nation look with floating heads.

I'd LOVE to switch up scrolling styles. Diagonals should be no problem. AS it is I barely got in the parallax scrolling. The planes also have horizontal parallax that moves tracking both players position. I do have a scrolling engine that could allow Gaiares like levels if tweaked a bit. Most of my development time was learning how to program for the Genesis and use the tools. That's a b ig reason my first game is simple. Also, I prefer Atari style games.

Physical barriers would also be a nice feature. That sounds like something needed in the future. All good suggestions!

SEGA.GENESIS1989
09-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I did like the space man sprite. Since some of the feedback indicated I should use larger sprites I tried to scale him up. Unfortunately I could never get the 32x32 pixel version looking good. After several iterations I decided to go with a more Zombie Nation look with floating heads.

I'd LOVE to switch up scrolling styles. Diagonals should be no problem. AS it is I barely got in the parallax scrolling. The planes also have horizontal parallax that moves tracking both players position. I do have a scrolling engine that could allow Gaiares like levels if tweaked a bit. Most of my development time was learning how to program for the Genesis and use the tools. That's a b ig reason my first game is simple. Also, I prefer Atari style games.

Physical barriers would also be a nice feature. That sounds like something needed in the future. All good suggestions!

I`m glad to hear that you have the technical background to implement some of the suggestions. Would it be possible for you to upload a few stills of the game`s sprite(s) here on the forum. I would like to examine them.

slobu
09-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I used the first palette for the player sprites. Each of the three on-screen enemies has their own palette. I made one color the master color so each enemy could be displayed largely in its own color. The boss is actually 3 32x32 sprites tied together. Boss animation consists of moving the various sprites around instead of frames of animation. Same deal with the smaller enemies.
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/slobu/Game%20Assests/Code%20Eliminator/spritesheet.jpg

swlovinist
10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
This is John Hancock. I produced the physical copy of this game and worked side by side with the programmer. I still have over a dozen of the Sega CD copies available as well as a couple of the Sega Genesis Carts. I will post in the marketplace.