PDA

View Full Version : Streets of Rage 4 cancelled Dreamcast concept art makes its way online

fruitsofherwomb
08-11-2015, 04:45 PM
More information here:
http://segabits.com/blog/2015/08/11/streets-of-rage-4-cancelled-dreamcast-concept-art-makes-its-way-online/

Concept art:
http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/StreetsofRage4concept2.png
http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/StreetsofRage4concept1.png

Lan Di
08-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Excellent find!

Yuzo Koshiro should start a Kickstarter and make arrangements for the rights for a part 4 with Sega like Yu Suzuki did with Shenmue 3. You never know, it could happen. Perhaps if people made enough noise about it Koshiro just might take action.

Benjamin
08-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Except he's just the musician. It'd be like petitioning John Williams to make a new Star Wars. I do think Ancient's Thor gives him a decent shot at making it happen, but that's the wrong tree.

Besides, Sega had Grin working on a Streets of Rage as recent as 2009, so the company isn't likely to part with a license it must see potential in.

Guntz
08-11-2015, 05:50 PM
We already got SOR4 and 5 way back when, they're called Die Hard Arcade and Dynamite Cop (aka Dynamite Deka 1 and 2).

Okay so they may not have the SOR cast, but they are basically SOR 3D and just as awesome.

Benjamin
08-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Those late Sega beat-em ups -- the Dynamite Deka games and Zombie Revenge -- are great, but they are in no way a substitute for Bare Knuckle. Apart from being a beat-em up, they really don't play the same. As much as I enjoy them for what they are, I'd be disappointed if Sega pawned those off as a 4th Streets of Rage.

xelement5x
08-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Neat docs, thanks for sharing them!

Guntz
08-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Those late Sega beat-em ups -- the Dynamite Deka games and Zombie Revenge -- are great, but they are in no way a substitute for Bare Knuckle. Apart from being a beat-em up, they really don't play the same. As much as I enjoy them for what they are, I'd be disappointed if Sega pawned those off as a 4th Streets of Rage.

You're right, they don't play the same...

They're better. ;)

retrospiel
08-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Except he's just the musician.

No, Ancient actually made SOR2. Team Shinobi did SOR1 and BK3.

Benjamin
08-11-2015, 09:06 PM
No, Ancient actually made SOR2. Team Shinobi did SOR1 and BK3.

Is that correct? I see the attribution on-line, but Ancient's name and logo appear nowhere in the game.

Lan Di
08-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Except he's just the musician. It'd be like petitioning John Williams to make a new Star Wars. I do think Ancient's Thor gives him a decent shot at making it happen, but that's the wrong tree.

Besides, Sega had Grin working on a Streets of Rage as recent as 2009, so the company isn't likely to part with a license it must see potential in.

I absolutely understand that Koshiro is a musician. You are stating the absolute obvious. The difference is that Williams is an accomplished musician and as far as Hollywood and Star Wars fans are concerned, his talents end there. The difference with Koshiro is that he is highly respected by the classic gaming community as a musician and a game developer manager/owner.

1. Ancient has a respectable resume of titles. Beyond Oasis/Thor is better than a multitude of lackluster RPG games in the 16 bit era. Don't forget about Sonic for the SMS.
2. Koshiro knows the industry and the fans. Music and programming. A connection exists that he understands.
3. Koshiro has the intellectual and talented resources to assist him with a kickstarter.

The Sega/Sammy circus monkeys still have no clue about how to run a game company. The recent alleged coming to understand the fans farce is futile IMO. You think they even care about SOR? Total War... yes. Milking old roms and making them 3D, yes. Pimping Sonic like a stinky street walker.....yes. A brand new SOR game...NO. They are too damn stupid to even care.

Benjamin
08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Yes, Sega to some extent cares about Streets of Rage. We see here that it tried to get a game going for Dreamcast, and I noted that Sega made another attempt with the 360/PS3 via Grin. The franchise may not be a priority for the company for whatever reason, but it's clear that it hasn't fallen off the map. If Grin hadn't went out of business (we can't fault Sega for that), we just may have got our new Streets of Rage game last generation.

j_factor
08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Did they ever go into detail about the first-person aspect? I had always assumed it was the main gameplay and it would have played like Breakdown. But the leaked concept footage doesn't support that.

retrospiel
08-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Shenmue most likely is the reason we didn't get a Streets of Rage 4 on Dreamcast.

Lan Di
08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Yes, Sega to some extent cares about Streets of Rage .

Saying that, isn't that impling that Sega is to some degree considering a SOR revival of some sort besides re-issues of roms and making them in 3D? Really? I seriously doubt that.

I think Sega is more in the mindset of "the fans think SOR is a great IP, what do we do next?"..

Like I said, clueless circus monkeys.

Benjamin
08-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Saying that, isn't that impling that Sega is to some degree considering a SOR revival of some sort besides re-issues of roms and making them in 3D? Really? I seriously doubt that.

We know that Sega has invested some amount of money in prototyping three attempts (forgot about Ruffian's prototype) at a follow-up. I don't know how you could possibly dispute that. Sega's certainly not throwing money at developers to make it happen just for kicks nor is just looking to do a simple ROM collection... even if the SVC release is all we've received following the previous efforts.

Lan Di
08-12-2015, 11:49 PM
We know that Sega has invested some amount of money in prototyping three attempts (forgot about Ruffian's prototype) at a follow-up. I don't know how you could possibly dispute that. Sega's certainly not throwing money at developers to make it happen just for kicks nor is just looking to do a simple ROM collection... even if the SVC release is all we've received following the previous efforts.

I hope you're right. Only time will tell and we old guys aren't getting any younger.

Pixelepsy
08-13-2015, 07:14 PM
I'd love it if they finally made a new one, it being my favorite beat-em-up series period, but I just don't know if that will happen. Despite their effort into developing previously mentioned versions I'm not sure if they'll ever actually follow through or do so well. Sega is just too unpredictable now, especially in terms of quality, to even begin to foresee it.

DJGameFreakTheIguana
08-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Not to fond of the way Max looks in the picture if that's suppose to be him. Aside from that, I would've loves to see this happen. On the subject of late Sega beat'em ups, I see no one mentioned Spikeout, and Spikeout: Battle Street. I order Battle Street over Amazon last year, pretty good game but I've never been able to beat the final level.

fruitsofherwomb
08-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Hey, the guy that looks like Axel is actually labeled as 'Axel Jr' in-game name 'Burn', he is suppose to be Axel's son.

The reason this game was cancelled was because Dynamite Cop and Zombie Revenge weren't doing so hot. Spikeout: Battle Street is what lead SEGA to make Yakuza series, cuz one of the main complaints was how much of a relic the game was. The story was pretty much non-existent or important and there wasn't much to do outside of fighting.

DJGameFreakTheIguana
08-14-2015, 05:47 PM
That's funny to hear, cause I actually find that game to be more appealing for it's urban style and sound track, then again, Yakuza isn't bad either. I can see why that complaint was made though, we were getting at that point where people wanted games to be longer. It's funny though, adding a hub world is probably all it would've taken for Spikeout to look good, like what Final Fighter Streetwise and Beatdown did.

Epyx
02-28-2018, 06:03 AM
Stuff like this makes me cry, although Blaze looks like a little kid there, which is not so cool.

I would sell a kidney for a new SoR game.

IrishNinja
02-28-2018, 09:38 PM
missed this thread last time around - damn. bums me out we didn't see more SOR, but if the stories i'd heard of Fighting Force at one point possibly being 4, i think we're better off - at least the series died with more dignity than Final Fight.

that said, i agree that Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Cop are great but unrelated beat-em-ups.