PDA

View Full Version : How rare is the link cable?

Guntz
08-29-2015, 04:43 PM
It seems like whenever I'm looking around for Game Gear stuff, the link cable is the one accessory that is never available. Did it sell really badly or something?

toto99303
09-02-2015, 06:25 AM
How about this one for 8 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GG-J-League-GG-Pro-Striker-94-w-Cable-Link-Game-Gear-JP-Jap-Japan-21494-/151689493461?hash=item235165fbd5

:)

Iron Lizard
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Game Gear was always a distinct second. Very few kids used the free link cable that came with the Gameboy much less the one you had to buy with the Game Gear.

zetastrike
09-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Game Gear was always a distinct second. Very few kids used the free link cable that came with the Gameboy much the one you had to buy with the Game Gear.

Was linking up portables not common even bitd? I can't imagine you and your friend both having to buy the same game and tether your Gameboys together. I've never seen it done in person.

Guntz
09-02-2015, 05:49 PM
I didn't realize there were bundled link cable games in Japan. Kinda tempting to buy that one for the cable. Only problem is I'd have to find link cable games and someone to play with (and another Game Gear). :P

I wouldn't call the Game Gear a "distinct second" placer in the 90s portable war. Sure, it died out sooner than Game Boy, but it sold very respectably and had a really great library. It wouldn't be until the PSP that a non-Nintendo portable would not be a complete failure.

Raijin Z
09-11-2015, 01:00 AM
I've only ever seen one link cable in my life, and it was WEIRD how I got it. I was driving around town, and I had a strong compulsion to stop at a local thrift store. I entered the building, and was compelled to walk to the back, where the electronics and furniture were, then to go to the third box under the table that held monitors and small TVs, and reach into the bottom. I pulled out the Game Gear link cable. That was the most complex sequence of DO RANDOM THING I've ever felt the compulsion to do, with the most obscure kind of payoff.

Segaedge
09-11-2015, 02:14 AM
I have one boxed somewhere. I've only linked it once between two GG World Series Baseball games to test it out. Surprisingly, it works rather well.
This one:
http://segaretro.org/images/b/b7/GearToGearCable_US_Box3.jpg

Apparently there is another variation:

http://segaretro.org/images/6/62/GearToGearCable_US_Box2.jpg

Guntz
09-11-2015, 02:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if boxed link cables are among the rarest of Game Gear items.

English Invader
09-11-2015, 11:02 AM
When I was a kid, I had a friend who had a link cable and we both had a copy of Super Monaco GP. I bought a link cable a few years back but I haven't had much occasion to use it. I don't think it's rare, just not particularly sought after.

BladeJunker
09-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Well rare enough I never see it outside of retail retro stores, probably best to try swap meets outside of ebay.

I like that link cables exist for Game Gear and other systems but it's true I never knew anyone who used them much. People had LAN parties where I live on PCs before high speed but it was rare for similar gathering on consoles.

Games where you needed only one cartridge seemed to help increase link cable use as getting together people with the same game titles proved harder than knowing someone with a link cable who had the same system you had.

Still worth seeking out all link cables if you can find them as retro collecting usually affords at least a couple consoles per platform. Personally I'm trying to get a Zero Tolerance 2 player match setup even though I'm not sure who'll play it with me when I do. :lol:

Jeckidy
09-12-2015, 09:07 PM
I have one like this that let's you use a Genesis controller on your GG. Who would want to do that?! Such a total PoS!

Damon Plus
09-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Never thought they would be rare. I have one boxed with that gray grid of early european GG package.

Segadream
09-28-2015, 01:02 AM
About as rare as you'd ever find someone else with a game gear to connect to with.
It's so useless however I never ONCE thought about it until now.
Speaking of now nearly useless sega cords,
I did manage to hold onto the original sega CD stereo line out/in jack cord.
How I kept it over the other 2 I have is a miracle in itself as I never counted among the "game cords".
I did most likely have this link and never realized it's function and it got thrown out by mom.
It seems there is always a woman in your life who takes your toys and does away with random strayers from the lot.
But I know for SURE who was involved in the loss of my CASTLE GRAYSKULL (watched her take it to the street one morning) and I still up until today, just realized where that weapon rack I did keep was from.
Women.......:daze:

Segaedge
09-29-2015, 09:31 AM
But I know for SURE who was involved in the loss of my CASTLE GRAYSKULL (watched her take it to the street one morning) and I still up until today, just realized where that weapon rack I did keep was from.
Women.......:daze:
Anything but the Castle Grayskull :shame: .. I feel for ya