PDA

View Full Version : WHERE do you use Game Gear or other protable?

Ecco
09-16-2015, 01:53 AM
I have mainly only played Game Gear in bed. Darkness is best to see its screen.

I've always been curious where people actually play GG and other portables. The whole concept of a portable is kind of strange to me, because most places I'd rather be involved with that PLACE, not playing video games. For example, while traveling I think I'd rather watch from the window than play a portable.

Anyway, where do you get down with Game Gear?:cool:

Benjamin
09-16-2015, 02:27 AM
I selected the bed option since it's the only home selection which doesn't involve poop. I don't think I ever brought my Game Gear outside. The Game Gear in particular is such a battery hog that I'm going to be tethered to the nearest outlet anyway. :p

I really don't care for portable game systems since if I'm out, I'm going to be out doing stuff which would prevent me from playing in the first place (working, driving, etc.). Especially with the Game Gear, since it has no "resume play" feature. I know that was not even on the radar back in its day, but being able to stop and resume on the fly is a big part of why I love the DS and so glad that became a thing.

English Invader
09-17-2015, 01:38 AM
There is a big difference between how I used my Game Gear as a kid and how I use it as an adult. When I was a kid, I had the battery pack and took it out with me whenever I went out in the car with my parents. I never took it on school trips or anything like that for fear of it getting damaged.

These days, I only use the Game Gear on my sofa with a mains adaptor (same deal with the Lynx). If I wanted to take a handheld out with me, it would probably be my GB Boy Colour (Chinese hardware clone of the Gameboy Color with DS quality backlight) but like Ecco I'd rather enjoy the surroundings while I'm out instead of burying myself in a device (I don't even have a mobile phone).

ComradeOj
09-17-2015, 01:55 AM
I just play it in bed too. It's much easier to see the screen at night, and I can also plug it in so I don't have to worry about keeping my AA batteries charged.

As a kid I had a game gear, which I couldn't play in the car or outside because of the bright sunlight. I also had a gameboy pocket, which I couldn't use in the dark because of the lack of screen lighting. Basically, game gear was for playing in the dark and gameboy was for playing in the light. LCD screens have thankfully gotten so much better over the years. The GBA SP with the frontlit LCD was a godsend because I could turn on the light for the dark, and the reflective backing of the screen let me use it in the sunlight.

Metallica Man X
09-17-2015, 04:40 AM
I play at work...nothing like the looks I get from all the young bucks wondering what I'm doing lol

Ecco
09-17-2015, 05:51 PM
I play at work...nothing like the looks I get from all the young bucks wondering what I'm doing lol

Do you mean you play GG during break, or that you play during work??

cabear
12-10-2015, 10:51 PM
i used to use mine in bed and on road trips. i wish i had better games at the time because the ones i had, while cool, just left me kind of lacking after awhile.

IrishNinja
12-11-2015, 06:27 PM
sometimes i go to strip clubs and if the girls are boring i just start playing some shinobi GG

joke's on me cause my screen's shit though

copper20
12-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Mostly in interiors, since unlike the Game Boy the Game Gear screen is garbage.

QuickSciFi
12-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Inside a cave, next to my pet bat.

Seriously. Where is the "on the couch, plugged to a wall" option? Most people would play it that way after the first 6 batteries run out.

Black_Tiger
12-16-2015, 02:54 PM
I played thousands of hours on my Nomad during the 7 years I took transit every day. Now I only have time for portables while on vacation.

Daria
12-20-2015, 12:16 PM
In bed, but traveling is a close second.

cleeg
12-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Nomad at work on nights is the way to go for me. On my break of course!

datbuta
02-08-2016, 01:40 AM
i literally just purchased a game gear with new capacitators yesterday... looks good... but i bought gp rider and dark crystal and damn... they are fun!! I've been playing at home... not sure if im ready to bring it out in public yet... I use to do that with my 3ds xl... but i did feel like i was being watched and judged lol... im guessing its because I look past the age of 16 and to be walking around with a portable gaming system..

But I'm thoroughly enjoying playing this system... had to recharge me batteries already!!

Bones Justice
02-08-2016, 12:38 PM
In my old job (life), I had a lot of standby time. We could do anything we wanted during standby, as long as we were up-to-date on all training, crime bulletins, etc. Guys would watch television or play cards, mostly. Then I started bring in my Nomad and an extra controller. Everybody wanted a turn and soon we were even having impromptu tournaments. Fighting games and sports games and racing games were the most popular; that's the kind of games I like most and usually carried. Nobody could even touch me at games like Herzog Zwei or Star Control even if they had the patience to learn how to play. :fail: So yeah, I guess you could call it during "break time", though sometimes it was like all day. :mrgreen:

I miss those days a lot. Hard to get anyone interested in classic games now. Everybody I know is either not interested in gaming or only interested in playing the new, online stuff. :yuck:

By the way, I have never owned a Game Gear or Gameboy, just Nomad and Lynx. I do have a PSOne with the LCD screen which was also a popular machine on my old job. I also used to bring my N64 sometimes since carts are fairly rugged, never wanted to damage my Saturn or Dreamcast by carrying them on my Harley.

POLYGAMe
02-11-2016, 01:05 AM
I use my Lynx in bed but the creepy thing has been turning itself on at night. I swear, if my girlfriend's head starts spinning....

Jeckidy
02-22-2016, 01:39 PM
In bed, using the AC adapter plugged into the outlet behind the bed itself. I don't know anyone who uses batteries for that sucker in this day and age.

datbuta
02-22-2016, 01:54 PM
In bed, using the AC adapter plugged into the outlet behind the bed itself. I don't know anyone who uses batteries for that sucker in this day and age.

One right here. I only have batteries at the moment... but rechargeable batteries is a good option... for those who wan't that heavy feel in your hand from a handheld console!... at home lol

GriskaGyoran
02-23-2016, 10:38 AM
I would use it as a portable TV to this day but unfortunately TV went from analogue to bullshit.

Thierry Henry
02-26-2016, 02:07 PM
In bed, using the AC adapter plugged into the outlet behind the bed itself.

This.

Would most definitely prefer playing it this way though,

http://i64.tinypic.com/2nu6akn.jpg

Jeckidy
02-26-2016, 02:26 PM
This.

Would most definitely prefer playing it this way though,

http://i64.tinypic.com/2nu6akn.jpg

Is that real? As in, is there an actual mod to support GG on SMS?

Thierry Henry
02-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Is that real? As in, is there an actual mod to support GG on SMS?

Here's a vid of it,

8SOp6YD4Isg

bertodecosta
12-01-2016, 06:47 AM
I've always been curious where people actually play GG and other portables. The whole concept of a portable is kind of strange to me, because most places I'd rather be involved with that PLACE, not playing video games. For example, while traveling I think I'd rather watch from the window than play a portable.

Sometimes when traveling at night on the dark places, there's nothing to watch from the window. So playing a portable could be an option (other than sleeping).

Gogogadget
12-01-2016, 07:49 AM
On my PC, via RetroArch mainly... despite actually owning a Game Gear.

I used to travel with my PSP but now I just read books, i'm old.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
12-05-2016, 08:26 AM
On my PC, via RetroArch mainly... despite actually owning a Game Gear.

I used to travel with my PSP but now I just read books, i'm old.

Being old is a state of mind. Don't surrender to father time or he will take advantage of it and send you to your grave sooner rather than later.

Gogogadget
12-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Pft he already tried once, that didn't work out so great.

Now I just need to take a nap after walking up stairs.

Popful
12-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Regarding the Game Gear specifically, I usually just lie by the nearest outlet in my room and play it there. As much as I love the thing, there's no way in hell it'd be practical as an actual portable. I remember having a particular hallway I'd play the thing in as a kid, and I still associate Sonic Chaos with that hallway.

Inside a cave, next to my pet bat.

Seriously. Where is the "on the couch, plugged to a wall" option? Most people would play it that way after the first 6 batteries run out.

Pretty much.

Mostly in interiors, since unlike the Game Boy the Game Gear screen is garbage.

Same, nearly every GG I've owned has had the screen die sooner or later. The one that does work needs to be held at a certain angle to be visible.

I do have a New 3DS which I DO take everywhere, but I often use it as an MP3 Player, since the one time I bought an actual dedicated MP3 Player (Sandisk, if you're wondering), it got lost and I never found it (those things are so tiny!).

bigladiesman
02-27-2017, 04:22 PM
I never use batteries with my GG, so I always play it at home.

9V power, biatsch!!!