PDA

View Full Version : I beat Sonic Spinball

Guntz
09-17-2015, 04:00 PM
I know it's probably not much of a victory, but it's a nice feeling to eventually find a somewhat improved version of Sonic Spinball. I absolutely hate the Genesis version, the physics are always working against you and it ends up being nearly impossible by the end.

ComradeOj
09-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Nice job! Is the GG version really that much better? I've heard before that the Genesis version was the best.
The Genesis version gave me a lot of trouble as a kid, and I never saw past toxic caves. Now-a-days, I can get to the machine, and sometimes to the final stage. I've never beaten it though.

Guntz
09-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Well, having played both versions and only completing one, I'd say the Game Gear version is better. I think the physics engine is a little less unforgiving and the levels are a bit less frustrating. What makes a big difference though is every stage has switches that enable safety nets at the bottom flippers. I don't remember that being in the Genesis version.

The only significant downside is the music. Genesis soundtracks convert very, very poorly to PSG. It's like going from Soundblaster-16 to PC speaker.

IrishNinja
09-17-2015, 06:32 PM
this is literally the first ive heard of someone doing this...so yeah man, props! guess i should give the GG one a go one day, cause man i can't/don't get far in the genesis one.

Bibin
09-17-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm surprised to see such strong opinions against the Genesis one, while hearing at the same time that anybody likes the GG/SMS ones. The latter is to me more or less unplayable.

Assman
09-17-2015, 09:08 PM
The GG version is definitely far easier, but I certainly wouldn't call it better. The physics are practically non-existent; you can just push your way wherever you need to go in mid-air.

Admittedly it's been a couple of decades since I played it last, but it still seems like the worse version in every way. As badly as I sucked at video games back then, this was still a total pushover for me and didn't take too long to get boring.

Still, I always liked it for what it was. The graphics were pretty nice and I even enjoyed the soundtrack. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought most of the music was actually original compositions instead of redone Genesis tracks.

copper20
09-18-2015, 02:26 PM
I only like the toxic pools music from the GG version. Otherwise, it's not worth owning, that and Sonic Labyrinth shouldn't have been made.

In general the Game Gear sonic games just aren't as fun as the ones on the Sega Genesis - Aspect tried, but Sonic Team should've worked on the GG versions, but that's my opinion on this.

Raijin Z
09-18-2015, 03:37 PM
I've only played the Genesis version. Rented it when it had first come out, and dedicated myself to completely beating it. Got all of the chaos emeralds and beat it, and now I have zero desire to ever play it again. Sonic Spinball turns fun into work.