PDA

View Full Version : Fan Translations: Emulation & Hardware

Melf
08-07-2007, 12:06 AM
We've been giving a lot of attention to the recent fan translations that have been appearing on the Genesis. From the wonderful Beggar Prince to the recent MIJET translations of two of the Phantasy Star II text adventures, it looks like the movement is finally gaining some steam. Site contributor Zebbe takes a deeper look into what's been done so far and what's still pending in his new article Fan Translations: Emulation & Hardware. It's a great chance to catch up on which Mega Drive games you can now play in English, so read our full article (http://www.sega-16.com/2007/08/fan-translations-emulation-hardware/) and get to playing!

Joe Redifer
08-07-2007, 01:57 AM
The sound effects and percussion in Phantasy Star 2 is the same in the US version as the Japanese version with the exception of volume. The Japanese version has drums and sounds that are slightly louder. They rebalanced it for the US release, apparently. I'm glad they did, because drums that are too loud sound bad to me. As a result I think the US version sounds smoother.

108 Stars
08-07-2007, 06:14 AM
I´m glad some people are doing ROM-hacking.
I´ve tried it myself, and it´s a damn boring and annoying work.

Genesis Knight
08-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Good rundown; I'm glad to finally see a translation of DBZ, even if it's incomplete. Now someone needs to write an article on homebrews. Maybe even interview some of the programmers.

megabomberman
08-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Welldone Zebbe, I always look forward to reading your stuff and this was no different, perhaps I should go out and get a sega cd and the mega cart eventually it sounds totally worth it after you've opened up the possibilities it has even further with that article, Keep em coming.....

RedComet
08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Is the MD Pro review not available yet? Other than that, nice article, Zebbe. :)

Zebbe
08-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Joe Redifer: Higher volume IS superior when it comes to Mega Drive drums.

Genesis Knight: I've thought about interviewing MIJET, who I had some contact to.

megabomberman: Thanks. Yeah, go get a Mega CD and a Mega Cart. The Mega CD is highly underrated by the masses. There are a lot of great exclusive games for it.

RedComet: No, things got a little messed up. I first wrote and sent in the MD-Pro review, but it never reached Melf like this article did. Now he has it and it will hopefully be up on Friday. Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to your Bare Knuckle III patch ;).

RedComet
08-09-2007, 12:11 AM
RedComet: No, things got a little messed up. I first wrote and sent in the MD-Pro review, but it never reached Melf like this article did. Now he has it and it will hopefully be up on Friday. Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to your Bare Knuckle III patch ;).

True story. Your article has actually motivated me to get back to work on BK3. :cool:

Joe Redifer
08-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Joe Redifer: Higher volume IS superior when it comes to Mega Drive drums.
That's just stupid.

Mr Smith
08-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Advanced Daisenryaku has always interested me. Only the Japanese would invent a game where you can play as the second worst dictator of the 20th Century.

In saying that somebody should make a Sim-Hitler game: you could chose what the tyrant had on his toast in the morning, which countries to invade, which minority group to oppress, whether to buy a new lamp for the Berghof and when to make sweet, sweet love to Eva Braun. God that would be awesome.

GeckoYamori
08-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced Daisenryaku cracked me up. I thought it would be another generic game based on some obscure anime or something, and the first thing I'm greeted with is "DAS DEUTSCHE REICH! SIEG HEIL! SIEG HEIL!"

Genesis Knight
08-09-2007, 08:41 AM
A MIJET interview would be neat.

108 Stars
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Daisenryaku has always interested me. Only the Japanese would invent a game where you can play as the second worst dictator of the 20th Century.

In saying that somebody should make a Sim-Hitler game: you could chose what the tyrant had on his toast in the morning, which countries to invade, which minority group to oppress, whether to buy a new lamp for the Berghof and when to make sweet, sweet love to Eva Braun. God that would be awesome.

Such a game actually exists, probably illegaly programmed by the Nazi scene here...
itīs for C64 and called simply "Adolf".
Basically itīs a text-based economy-sim. You have to pay the army, the SS, invade countries to get money, you have to start a progrom every now and then, be judge on court (mostly in cases of Germans against a Jew).
But at the same time you have to keep your wife entertained (with cash) and you canīt let the concentration camps down too much, or the Jews will start a rebellion.
Usually it ends with your wife or somebody backstabbing you.
Unfortunately, no sex-options are available.

BTW: Who is the worst dictator in the 20th century? I thought it was Hitler, but I may be a bit biased...my next-best bets would be Mao Zedong and Stalin.

Zebbe
08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
True story. Your article has actually motivated me to get back to work on BK3. :cool:

Sweeeet :).

Joe Redifer: No. I think the drums are too low in many Mega Drive games.

108 Stars: Stalin ofcourse. He is responsible for the most deaths, and that is usually what counts when it comes to "worst dictator". Now, who is the BEST dictator of the 20th century? That's harder.

Genesis Knight
08-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Stalin killed the most, but Mao was probably the most destructive/oppressive. This is, of course, sort of impossible to quantify.

108 Stars
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Ho, this sounds like a new game that has to be made for MD!

A beat´em up with Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Mao Zedong, Saddam Hussein, Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong-il, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro and Benito Mussolini fighting for the title of the world´s most bad-ass dictator!

http://www.dictatorofthemonth.com/

megabomberman
08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
I can't find any thread to post on!! Every one of them is either on about communism or dictatorships..... Is there something ye guys aren't telling me?

Genesis Knight
08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah. You're next on the shipping list to my gulag.

segagamer
08-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I agree with Joe that the US version of PSII sounds smoother and more natural to the ear than the JP version.

Mr Smith
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Such a game actually exists, probably illegaly programmed by the Nazi scene here...
itīs for C64 and called simply "Adolf".
Basically itīs a text-based economy-sim. You have to pay the army, the SS, invade countries to get money, you have to start a progrom every now and then, be judge on court (mostly in cases of Germans against a Jew).
But at the same time you have to keep your wife entertained (with cash) and you canīt let the concentration camps down too much, or the Jews will start a rebellion.
Usually it ends with your wife or somebody backstabbing you.
Unfortunately, no sex-options are available.

BTW: Who is the worst dictator in the 20th century? I thought it was Hitler, but I may be a bit biased...my next-best bets would be Mao Zedong and Stalin.
That game sounds interesting. All it needed was female nudity (and to be released on a better platform) and it would have been awesome.

By worst dictator I was referring to Stalin. Hitler for all his vices was consistant in his genocide targets and he owned an awesome big dog. Pol Pot was a bit of a tosser as well.

GeckoYamori
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
As for the best dictator, Fidel Castro has been doing a pretty good job on keeping his regime up and running.

Mr Smith
08-09-2007, 02:13 PM
As for the best dictator, Fidel Castro has been doing a pretty good job on keeping his regime up and running.
Mikhail Gorbachev was the best 20th Century dictator. A true legend of a man whose achievements stand out as a beacon for all humanity.

Jules Walter
08-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Nice little article, anything that draws some attention to fan translations, and even better, Sega fan translations, is a good thing in my book. Though you remind me once more of how much I wish some damn body would translate Surging Aura.
Also, the Taiwanese RPG known in the rom world as Conquering The World 3 is awesome. I hope that's what Superfighterteam's been working on.

108 Stars
08-12-2007, 08:33 AM
108 Stars:
CMA Death Adder once told me it would not be Tiger Hunter Hero Novel because it used too many stolen graphics.

Another RPG, Conquering the World III seems to be using character designs of an official Sega game, Sangokushi Retsuden, so this is an unlikely release as well.

CMA Death Adder:
Yeah, the graphics (and some sound elements) would certainly need to be changed, to avoid possible lawsuits. That's a hefty job which isn't cost-effective. It's a shame they decided to "borrow" these elements from other games rather than producing them from scratch on their own.

So, chances are low for that game:(

Zebbe
02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
What good old times reading this thread puts me back into... :P

This article is revised with some new entries and updates, the latest one being the great Barver Battle Saga by Bramsworth of these forums. Enjoy.

retrospiel
02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
The link doesn't work.

Phantar
02-10-2010, 06:53 PM
The link doesn't work.

There You go: http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=172&title=Fan%20Translations:%20Emulation%20and%20Hard ware

Nice seeing a translation for "Barver Battle Saga" finally. I've always wondered what this game was about since I had first come upon a game called "Final Fantasy (ru)". Will definitely check that one out.

retrospiel
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Awesome article! I read it a while ago but it's great to see it updated.

Streets of Rage 3 has a lot of totally unnecessary and absolutely pointless changes that led to further changes that were even more unnecessary and pointless. - Like, if they would have kept the character's colors that were established in and which they left untouched in the first two games, they could have kept the part of the intro where Axel punched the screen. Stuff like that.
If the only things they'd have changed were the story and removing Ash, it'd have been totally acceptable. It's the core gameplay that counts. - And that's the worst thing about Streets of Rage 3: they fucked up the game's balance. Where in Bare Knuckle III weapons, items and power ups (your special moves were upgradable) were in perfect balance to the increasing speed, attack power and health of your enemies -as you'd expect from a Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle game-, they turned it into some barely playable mess that seems amateurish, even unfinished! It's so frustrating to keep loosing your special moves all the time, and the enemies are too fast to catch up with, and even the lowest thugs actually do more damage to you than you do to them. It should be a blast to fight your way through all these thugs, yet these changes make it tedious, boring and frustrating beyond belief!

God, I hate that game so much!

A guy called Shion released an enhancement to the old patch by DeJap and Demiforce in May 2008. The update adds previously missing text, corrects spelling and grammar errors and fixes bugs, among other things. I have played through both patches and can without doubt say I enjoyed the game more with the new patch.

Wow! Really!? Are there any specific things you remember that made the new patch better ?

Stalin killed the most

I think those numbers are wildly exagerrated. The internet says 30 million, but I read in some Amnesty International (or was it Red Cross?) publication a few years ago that it was like 3 million people that died in Gulags - and that included captured German WW2 soldiers.

EDIT - Also, even if 30 million would be true, wouldn't Hitler be somewhat responsible for WW2? At least a little bit? And that's like what? 60 million dead? - See, either way, we got the even more insane mass murderer! Hooray!

Zebbe
02-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Awesome article! I read it a while ago but it's great to see it updated.

Thank you :). I hope I can update it quite a few more times, with entries for Rent-A-Hero, Surging Aura, Shadowrun (CD), Puzzle & Action series and more Taiwanese games :).

Streets of Rage 3 has a lot of totally unnecessary and absolutely pointless changes that led to further changes that were even more unnecessary and pointless. - Like, if they would have kept the character's colors that were established in and which they left untouched in the first two games, they could have kept the part of the intro where Axel punched the screen. Stuff like that.
If the only things they'd have changed were the story and removing Ash, it'd have been totally acceptable. It's the core gameplay that counts. - And that's the worst thing about Streets of Rage 3: they fucked up the game's balance. Where in Bare Knuckle III weapons, items and power ups (your special moves were upgradable) were in perfect balance to the increasing speed, attack power and health of your enemies -as you'd expect from a Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle game-, they turned it into some barely playable mess that seems amateurish, even unfinished! It's so frustrating to keep loosing your special moves all the time, and the enemies are too fast to catch up with, and even the lowest thugs actually do more damage to you than you do to them. It should be a blast to fight your way through all these thugs, yet these changes make it tedious, boring and frustrating beyond belief!

God, I hate that game so much!

I didn't know any of this when I rented SoR3 lots of times back in the day, I actually really enjoyed it although it was very hard. When I came back into Mega Drive collecting about seven years later, BKIII was my first Japanese game after I heard all about the changes.

Wow! Really!? Are there any specific things you remember that made the new patch better ?

Nothing specific. It's hard to put a finger on it, it just felt like a more complete experience the second time.

I think those numbers are wildly exagerrated. The internet says 30 million, but I read in some Amnesty International (or was it Red Cross?) publication a few years ago that it was like 3 million people that died in Gulags - and that included captured German WW2 soldiers.

EDIT - Also, even if 30 million would be true, wouldn't Hitler be somewhat responsible for WW2? At least a little bit? And that's like what? 60 million dead? - See, either way, we got the even more insane mass murderer! Hooray!

The numbers don't really matter, Stalin and Hitler were equally terrible humans that are not worthy of our time here at the fine Sega-16 forums.

Zebbe
08-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Revised and updated again. It doesn't quite look like I would want it to, but since Melf seemed to have some troubles with it I'll not bother. Here is some stuff that is missing:

Undeadline http://www.sega-16.com/2007/10/undeadline/
Translation status: Complete
Translator(s): MIJET http://mijet.eludevisibility.org/Undeadline/Undeadline.html
Genre: Shoot-'Em-Up

This is one of the toughest shmups ever. I sacrificed two weeks of intense gaming to see the ending of this game, but it was worth it. Especially since I found the translation patch by MIJET on The Google around the same time I beat it. The story isn't overwhelming, but quite original for a shooter. It is only explained through a rolling screen in the beginning and the end. This game is also available on the X68000 and MSX, but they are quite different from this version. MIJET has translated this and the X68k version. I think the translations are done mainly to give the games the more attention they deserve, rather than letting the western players know what epic story they missed.

Upcoming:

Rent A Hero
Translation status: Almost completed
Translator(s): Paul Jensen http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11918.0.html
Genre: RPG/Fighter

Made by the same team behind Sword of Vermilion, including the legendary Yu Suzuki as producer, Rent A Hero offers a different take on the RPG genre. First off, it takes place in modern age Japan and makes tributes to both superhero comics and Sega games. Second, the battle system is in one-on-one fighting style, like Virtua Fighter. It should bring some interest to both people who are skeptical of the typical RPGs and those who enjoy it. An older patch with a translation of the beginning of the game is available for those interested.

Shadowrun (Mega-CD)
Translation status: Unknown
Translator(s): iwakura productions http://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/shadowrun-sega-cd-update-and-history/
Genre: Adventure/Strategy-RPG

This game is completely different from the Genesis and SNES versions of the game. It's an adventure game like Snatcher with battles of strategy-RPG style like Shining Force. It is also the last official Mega-CD release ever. If this patch gets completed, it will be the first Mega-CD fan translation EVER (if you discount the Phantasy Star II text adventure games, which you should do).

Sorcerian www.sega-16.com/2010/01/sorcerian/
Translator(s): Stephen Seehorn
Genre: Action-RPG

There are a couple of patches made for this game already, but neither is complete - only the menues are done. When this patch is complete, everything will be translated. The only question is when it will happen, as it has stood still for quite some time.

Surging Aura http://www.sega-16.com/2011/04/surging-aura/
Translator(s): Twilight Translations
Genre: RPG

This is it, the most wanted fan translation of all Mega Drive games. It has been tried upon before, but all efforts have failed. But - about two years ago, a French translation was completed. So, an English patch should also be possible, right? That's what RedComet of Twilight Translations thought, and started working on one. However, the guy has a private life and is known to let his translation patches to take time. So, don't hold your breath just yet. Please wait and hold your fingers crossed.

Do YOU hack games and need a translator?
Good. Contact me (Zebbe) on the forum and I'll hook you up with my friend, who is studying Japanese. Don't worry, his girlfriend will quality check the translated material.

Barone
08-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Zebbe. For the great article and the reference.
I'll PM you some other suggestions.

Solkia
08-16-2012, 03:17 AM
You know, I've been wondering something. If I connected a cartridge to my computer using a Retrode 2, would I be able to patch the rom on the cart itself?

Phantar
08-16-2012, 03:36 AM
I thought MIJET was done making translation patches? Great to see that isn't the case anymore, he was always one of the most productive translation hackers out there...

N.Saibot
08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
You know, I've been wondering something. If I connected a cartridge to my computer using a Retrode 2, would I be able to patch the rom on the cart itself?

ROM = Read Only Memory. You can't write to the ROM once it's "burned". There are ways to save gamestates on the cart itself, but you still just get a small place only for your saves without the ability of patching the actual game.

You can make a reproduction cart with the patched ROM, or play the patched ROM on some flashcart-device.

Solkia
08-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Darn.

Ok, thanks.

Melf
08-16-2012, 06:36 PM
If it's ok with Zebbe, I could break the article into a part 1 and part 2 and divide this thread into two. That would allow the whole article to go up, and it would keep our article/thread number consistent.

djshok
08-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Zebbe, you should mention that along with the French there is also a Russian translation of Surging Aura. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1686/
We've lost the cold war on this one.

Zebbe
08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
agostinhobaroners: Thank you too :).

Phantar: His last translation is oooold. I'm sure he is working on something, though.

If it's ok with Zebbe, I could break the article into a part 1 and part 2 and divide this thread into two. That would allow the whole article to go up, and it would keep our article/thread number consistent.

By all means, go ahead :). You can also input the note by djshok:

Zebbe, you should mention that along with the French there is also a Russian translation of Surging Aura. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1686/
We've lost the cold war on this one.

:)

goldenband
08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Right now the title says "Fan Translations: Emulation & Hardware I", but I can't find II. Is it up, or has the article not yet been split, or...?

Melf
08-29-2012, 08:12 PM
This is not the most ideal situation, and once I can fix whatever makes the longer articles crash, I'll merge the two parts again. Sorry for the inconvenience Zebbe, but WordPress is a bitch sometimes. :p