PDA

View Full Version : ComradeOj's 2015 Halloween demo

ComradeOj
10-31-2015, 06:55 AM
Happy Halloween!
(I know it's only 4AM, but I want to post this before my power goes out again!)

I decided that I wanted to make a little something for Halloween this year. I wanted to do something kind of creepy, but everything I could think of involved Halloween cliches like ghosts or black cats or jack o' lanterns. I think what I ended up with is a bit to colorful to be creepy. It's strange enough though.

First off, here is the video:
The official title of the demo is "Robot Dreams and Synth Screams"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJq6cCy7pIM
Second thing: Here is the ROM download + source code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uZnRwZEI1YR0g1ejZna1ByYk0/view?usp=sharing

It's not very long, and not the most impressive demo. But, I think it's kind of cool!

The music was done as a challenge. I wanted to make a song using only instruments that I could synthesize myself. Nothing ripped from a game or from a manual. The song itself was inspired by dark studio from the batman and robin game, and it shows a bit more than I had hoped. I think it sounds original enough though.

Speaking of music, it sounds all sorts of screwed up in the Gens emulator. It sounds okay in fusion, and Regen is just a bit off. I would use fusion if you want to emulate it. In the youtube video, the video portion is coming from fusion, but the audio was recorded from a YM2612 with an unfiltered mega amp.

Each robot has a different "voice" and uses a dedicated YM2612 channel, as does that thunk sound. The green robot uses channel 2, the red one uses channel 3, and the blue one uses channel 4, and the thunk sound effect uses channel 5. When one of these channels gets a "key on" signal, the co-responding robot's eye turns red. When it gets a "key off", it turns black. This makes the eye lights perfectly sync up with the music. The electricity effect changes color when the thunk instrument plays.

The electrical arc effect is a straight line that is animated using raster effects and a triangle wave. The arc gets faster after the first half or so of the song.
The demo is kind of small, 9.6kb (9667 bytes to be exact.). Almost everything that could be compressed got compressed.

Not much else to say but I hope you enjoyed this, and happy Halloween!

Scorpion Illuminati
10-31-2015, 07:53 PM
The spooky music in sync with the robots flashing eyes reminded me of killer robots from space. I ran the demo on my Mega EverDrive and it worked flawlessly with a single hitch or hiccup. Was wondering if i could "hire" you to do a sample song for my game once i get to that point ;)

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

ComradeOj
10-31-2015, 08:15 PM
The spooky music in sync with the robots flashing eyes reminded me of killer robots from space. I ran the demo on my Mega EverDrive and it worked flawlessly with a single hitch or hiccup. Was wondering if i could "hire" you to do a sample song for my game once i get to that point ;)

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

Glad you liked it!

I'm not a musician by any means, but I could give it a shot. Click the bottom-most link in my signature, and look at the music section. Maybe there is something that you like on that list. I also have some other music not on that list yet.
Each song is bundled with a player ready to run on an emulator or flash cart.

All of my music is in .VGM format, so your game will either have to have a VGM player, or you'll have to convert it somehow.

Scorpion Illuminati
10-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Glad you liked it!

I'm not a musician by any means, but I could give it a shot. Click the bottom-most link in my signature, and look at the music section. Maybe there is something that you like on that list. I also have some other music not on that list yet.
Each song is bundled with a player ready to run on an emulator or flash cart.

All of my music is in .VGM format, so your game will either have to have a VGM player, or you'll have to convert it somehow.
Liquid Space Dodger is pretty close to what i was thinking of for a sample song, slow and simple. What is the .vgm format and is there code somewhere that i can take a look at for adding .vgm music support? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

ComradeOj
10-31-2015, 09:14 PM
Liquid Space Dodger is pretty close to what i was thinking of for a sample song, slow and simple. What is the .vgm format and is there code somewhere that i can take a look at for adding .vgm music support? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

the VGM format is basically a log of all the data that gets written to the sound chips.
It's not a great format to use in games, to be honest. I just use it because it's easy to create and implement.

The download for liquid space dodger and this demo both include the source if you want to see how it works.

I put some stuff in a .zip file for you. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uZnRwZEI1YVTJVbFM5Z24yOGs/view?usp=sharing). It includes the VGM player that I wrote and use. It's not so much a driver, but a "dumb" player.

You'll find a program with the music driver and a VGM file ready to go. You can compile it by double click "make.bat".
There is also a standalone version of the driver in the "standalone player" folder. You can add it to your game to play VGM files that are stuff exported from Shiru's VGM music maker.

The driver should be called on the Vblank using "bsr music_driver or jsr music_driver". Before playback, the music should be loaded into address register zero + 40 using "lea (music)+40,a0" you can can play it by calling the driver once per vblank. I usually copy the music starting location into memory so that I can just load it back into the address register when looping. The examples I sent you won't do that though.

The driver I sent use uses the A0 and D0 registers, but you can change it if you need. You can also use it in your own games if you want to.

I also have an older version of the player that can play VGMs from shiru's VGM maker or music ripped from games. It's very susceptible to tempo issues, so that's why I re-wrote it to work timed on interrupts, even it it won't play rips correctly. "ASCII WAR" uses this version of the player.

It's not a great system for playing music, but it's the best thing I could come up with.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my player doesn't support any PCM samples. You'll have to use synth drums. I'm working on one that does support PCM though.

Scorpion Illuminati
11-01-2015, 01:40 AM
So you wouldn't recommend it for a music centric game I take it? How difficult would it be to make a basic music driver would you say?

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

ComradeOj
11-01-2015, 02:11 AM
So you wouldn't recommend it for a music centric game I take it? How difficult would it be to make a basic music driver would you say?

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati
Making a new driver would probably be difficult. Not only would you need to write the driver, but you would need to write a program that can create and export music in a format usable by your driver.

I had actually put serious thought into using the GEMS driver. GEMS was a commercially used driver in the Genesis days, and it's development software is available online. It might be possible to use the GEMS software kit in a game. I'm not sure how hard it would be though. You might need some sort of special PC->Genesis connection cable and development cart though.

My VGM music player might work in a music game. My player only plays a music track from start to finish. There isn't really any tempo control, or sound effects support. It would take modification to do anything else.

What sort of music game were you thinking about? Some sort of rhythm game? A VGM music file is just a list of the data that gets written to the sounds chip. It might be possible to read ahead and see what sort of key on/offs and pitches are coming up.

Scorpion Illuminati
11-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Making a new driver would probably be difficult. Not only would you need to write the driver, but you would need to write a program that can create and export music in a format usable by your driver.

I had actually put serious thought into using the GEMS driver. GEMS was a commercially used driver in the Genesis days, and it's development software is available online. It might be possible to use the GEMS software kit in a game. I'm not sure how hard it would be though. You might need some sort of special PC->Genesis connection cable and development cart though.

My VGM music player might work in a music game. My player only plays a music track from start to finish. There isn't really any tempo control, or sound effects support. It would take modification to do anything else.

What sort of music game were you thinking about? Some sort of rhythm game? A VGM music file is just a list of the data that gets written to the sounds chip. It might be possible to read ahead and see what sort of key on/offs and pitches are coming up.
A game where you tap the buttons and "strum" to the rhythm of the music. It's open source so using a commercial product might not be viable. I suggested writing my own driver cause people can learn from it, and it would make it easier to sync the music with the on screen notes then using a hackish solution.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

ComradeOj
11-01-2015, 05:34 AM
A game where you tap the buttons and "strum" to the rhythm of the music. It's open source so using a commercial product might not be viable. I suggested writing my own driver cause people can learn from it, and it would make it easier to sync the music with the on screen notes then using a hackish solution.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

Ah, I see. A custom driver would probably be best for the game. You're still welcome to use my VGM player if you can get it working the way you need.

Stef
11-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I wrote a sound driver which can takes VGM format as input while allowing SFX through PCM (WAV format) on 4 channels at same time. Everything handled by the Z80 CPU so definitely made for "in game" condition. Still i don't know how it can suit to a music rhythm game...

Scorpion Illuminati
11-02-2015, 03:11 AM
I wrote a sound driver which can takes VGM format as input while allowing SFX through PCM (WAV format) on 4 channels at same time. Everything handled by the Z80 CPU so definitely made for "in game" condition. Still i don't know how it can suit to a music rhythm game...
The problem is supposedly the .vgm format is just a log of everything that gets written to the sound chips so it may not be the best way to go. How difficult would you say it was for you to write your own custom sound driver?

Sincerely,

Scorpion Illuminati

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-03-2015, 10:48 PM
You should create a music based platformer! I think you have the skillset to get it done! :cool:

LinkueiBR
11-03-2015, 11:59 PM
You should create a music based platformer! I think you have the skillset to get it done! :cool:

This would be awesome!

ComradeOj
11-04-2015, 12:01 AM

Maybe in the future.
My current project is building a level editor around my gravity pig game so that people can make their own stages. Almost everything works, but the SRAM save function is giving me a hard time on my everdrive.
I've wanted to make a music game for a while now, but I'm not sure how I could make a musical platformer. I might figure something out though.

bgvanbur
11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Very cool demo!

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-04-2015, 07:20 PM
This would be awesome!

Hehehe! Concepts are floating in my head right now!

Maybe in the future.
My current project is building a level editor around my gravity pig game so that people can make their own stages. Almost everything works, but the SRAM save function is giving me a hard time on my everdrive.
I've wanted to make a music game for a while now, but I'm not sure how I could make a musical platformer. I might figure something out though.

Well it's good to hear that you are receptive to the idea. Let me ponder on this idea for a while. I'll float a few ideas your way when I've jotted a few concepts down on paper!

=-=-=

With respect to the Gravity Pig level editor, how user friendly is it at the moment?

ComradeOj
11-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Hehehe! Concepts are floating in my head right now!
With respect to the Gravity Pig level editor, how user friendly is it at the moment?

It's not bad. It could probably be better though. Here is a screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/OVQUqCf.png

Your cursor is moved around with the d-pad. You place blocks with A, hold B to move the cursor more quickly, and press C to toggle between different selection menus. (Block, music, level theme.)
You have to press START to toggle between block placement mode and item selection mode. That way, it knows if it should move the cursor right, or select the next item in the menu.

All of placement and selection code is finished. Fun fact: the code to place blocks is just the collision detection code, but with a write instruction instead of a read instruction.

Only two things remain:

Load/Save
This is a big thing that I want to add. This way, you will be able to load previous stages to work on them some more, or load someone else's creation. I got it to work in emulators, but it won't work on my everdrive. I'm not sure why. I tried writing one byte at a time, and one word at a time, but it still garbled up the data on the other end. I'll have to keep experimenting, I guess.

An interface to pick character and crate starting locations.
This should be easy, and I only haven't done it yet because I want saving and loading to work first.