PDA

View Full Version : Rarest Game Gear games?

Jeckidy
02-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Besides Mega Man (US) and Panzer Dragoon Mini (JP), what are some of the rarest Game Gear games on the system? I know there aren't a lot, considering how cheap most of the library is, but I'd like to know which are fetching the highest prices.

Tower of Power
02-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Besides Mega Man (US) and Panzer Dragoon Mini (JP), what are some of the rarest Game Gear games on the system? I know there aren't a lot, considering how cheap most of the library is, but I'd like to know which are fetching the highest prices.

To be rare, it has to be cooked to about 120F in the center. But be careful, at 115F or less it's considered blue (or just plain raw), while 126F is medium rare.

Black_Tiger
02-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Rarity and high prices are two separate things.

Jeckidy
02-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Well give me a rundown of both.

stika
02-01-2016, 04:39 PM
AFAIK the Aleste GG series are expensive and hard to find. Especially the euro version of Power Strike 2 (Aleste GG 2 in Japan)

Chimaera
02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
To be rare, it has to be cooked to about 120F in the center. But be careful, at 115F or less it's considered blue (or just plain raw), while 126F is medium rare.

xelement5x
02-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Supposedly finding a complete/boxed copy of the US version True Lies is exceedingly difficult.

But, like Black Tiger said: Rarity and high prices are two separate things.

GelmiR
02-02-2016, 03:59 AM
I've been lucky getting a complete PAL copy of Super Return of the Jedi years ago. Mostly nice to look at though, as it's not a very entertaining game. Even though slave Leia is playable in a level or two.

Melf
02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
I've seen complete copies of True Lies go for as little as $23 and has high as $180. I don't think people on eBay know what the hell GG games are worth, lol.

BubsyFan1
02-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Mortal Kombat 3 was a Europe only release and fetches a decent amount in North America.

Gogogadget
02-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Is Legend of Illusion uncommon? It was released in like 1995.

Jeckidy
02-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I have Legend of Illusion and got it for like 7-8 dollars loose in good shape with a plastic snap-case. Definitely not rare. I would assume The Lost World: Jurassic Park to be rare since it came out towards the end of the console's life but I haven't checked on that yet.

zetastrike
02-03-2016, 09:10 PM
GG stuff is all over the map, it doesn't make much sense. I see a ton of stuff for less than $10, but some games like Bubble Bobble and Fatal Fury (some real life examples I've seen) tend to go for more for whatever reason. It's not like they're way better/rarer games than what's available for cheaper.

Is Sonic Blast pricey? I've never seen it for sale.

Gogogadget
02-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Is Sonic Blast pricey? I've never seen it for sale.

I just found a copy for £60 on Ebay, the game itself isn't even worth £6.

vintagegamecrazy
04-20-2016, 02:19 AM
Many of the Codemasters releases are quite rare though not terribly valuable. Pete Sampras Tennis is probably the rarest of their games but CJ Elephant Fugitive is also no slouch for rarity.

Tanooki
04-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Probably weird (or not) being a starting post, but what about Arena Mazes of Death? I don't see that pop up much, doesn't get expensive alone, not sure about complete or new, but it is a later release in the US and a solid game too. The nice thing I've noticed is that GG like the Nintendo handhelds being that they are handhelds get little respect from the resellers who frenzy stuff (like NES, SNES, TG16, Sega CD, Saturn) to turn around and go max profit on it and do the one upping each other game to keep it rolling upwards. On the whole I find that GG, Genesis, GB any most games can be picked up in that $3-30 window with a fair deal in the low to middle end ($20 and under) level as a cartridge on its own. It makes for a solid fun time of trying to hunt down fun stuff and experimenting as it won't cost a black market kidney sale to get a few items. All the garbage drove me back to Sega at the top of November last year, and 2 weeks ago I found a blue game gear locally and I've been picking up games local and online at a steady pace despite a limited budget.

The thing is cash is one thing, rarity is another in an honest market. In a hype market cash and faux rarity go hand in hand when you see a Super Mario World cart printed and given away in the millions for like $20+ or a million seller like TMNT4 peaking at like $70. You don't see that crap on the Game Gear at all, just actual rares costing money and even then they have to be rare and desirable (Mega Man for example.)

Prince Talmit
05-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Arena is a really cool game. Would loved to have it on Master System.
It is certainly an uncommon game in complete good condition, not one you see often.
A recent interview posted on this site offered a few interesting comments from the developer about Arena Maze of Death.

sin2beta
06-24-2016, 08:43 PM
While they are not expensive, I have had a hard time finding Urban Strike and Kawasaki Superbikes in the wild. Urban Strike is tough on eBay at times too.

GiliusSegahead
07-26-2016, 11:10 AM
So what's the deal with Mortal Kombat 3? Why so pricey?

eheheh
09-06-2016, 06:24 PM
is popeye a rare game??

only releasead in japan?

sull56ivan2010
09-07-2016, 03:16 PM

European release only if I remember correctly.

I have a game called Pengo. Did that ever come out in America for the Game Gear?

MathUser
09-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I've been lucky getting a complete PAL copy of Super Return of the Jedi years ago. Mostly nice to look at though, as it's not a very entertaining game. Even though slave Leia is playable in a level or two.

Does Slave Leia choke everything out? That's the only weapon she had in the movie. Perhaps she uses the chain as a whip ala Simon Belmont.

eheheh
07-16-2017, 01:51 PM
hi guys

is ristar pal a rare game?

in ebay.com you can´t find one with box

only cartridge for about 30 euros

with box this is a good price? or it worths more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263091409782

Gogogadget
07-16-2017, 07:55 PM

European only release (Master System version was only released in Brazil), and it was 1995 so it was released in super low quantities.

It also sucks several barrels of shit.

For anyone thinking of buying GG games in Europe for their value, don't waste your time. I can't even flog a single Game Gear game most of the time for 99p. They are worthless.

j_factor
07-19-2017, 12:30 PM
I have a game called Pengo. Did that ever come out in America for the Game Gear?

I've seen some question of that but apparently, there was no US version, no.

Same thing with MK3, some people used to insist it was released here. It's questioned because people in the US say they remember seeing it, but it's just because it wasn't totally uncommon for European GG games to end up on this side of the pond. I have a complete EU copy of Halley Wars, even though there was a US version, and I didn't even realize it until later. I didn't get it new in the 90s, but I did buy it in this country, over 10 years ago, with no indication that it was an import copy. I guess I had thought that maybe some games were released in both Europe and North America with the same multi-lingual packaging, but afaik now, that never officially happened. No US releases had the gray grid pattern on the box, but I'd seen that type of packaging around enough that it didn't look foreign. *shrug*

Black_Tiger
07-19-2017, 02:57 PM
I remember walking into a drug store, which didn't sell games, between 1996 - 1998... and finding a large bin full of PAL Mega Drive Space Harrier II.

xelement5x
07-20-2017, 01:58 PM
I remember walking into a drug store, which didn't sell games, between 1996 - 1998... and finding a large bin full of PAL Mega Drive Space Harrier II.

I've found places selling really old games in the oddest places as well. I was in Moab on vacation buying some stuff a couple years ago at like another mom-and-pop store and they had a copy of Gunstar Super Heroes new and sealed for like $5 and I was like, well why not?

Baloo
08-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Sonic Drift 2 and Tempo Jr are both tougher to find and fetch a decent amount.

sin2beta
08-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Game Gear does seem all over. I've collected close to 150 games, periodically going for a full set. I had the hardest time with Urban Strike. But some of the ones other people mention I see all the time (Sonic Drift 2).

Another game I had difficulty finding was Kawasaki Super Bike. But then, for some reason, I started finding it pretty regularly.

BubsyFan1
08-29-2017, 05:05 PM
I've found places selling really old games in the oddest places as well. I was in Moab on vacation buying some stuff a couple years ago at like another mom-and-pop store and they had a copy of Gunstar Super Heroes new and sealed for like $5 and I was like, well why not?

Did you eat the Fruit Roll-Up?

Sonic Drift 2 and Tempo Jr. are two games I haven't found yet. I have only found one copy each of Urban Strike and Lost World.

roadkill
08-30-2017, 07:42 AM
I've heard that there's a Panzer Dragoon game for Game Gear, only released in Japan, and that it's one of the rarest Game Gear games. I have no source for this, I just heard it from a friend who's a big Panzer Dragoon/Saturn/Game Gear fan.

QuickSciFi
08-30-2017, 10:02 AM
I love collecting Game Gear games. Going loose with plastic clamshell is the best decision I've made in my collecting years.

j_factor
08-30-2017, 02:43 PM
I've heard that there's a Panzer Dragoon game for Game Gear, only released in Japan, and that it's one of the rarest Game Gear games. I have no source for this, I just heard it from a friend who's a big Panzer Dragoon/Saturn/Game Gear fan.

Panzer Dragoon Mini is indeed pretty rare. It was also one of the last Game Gear releases in Japan.

roadkill
08-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Panzer Dragoon Mini is indeed pretty rare. It was also one of the last Game Gear releases in Japan.

Ah that's right, that was the name he mentioned, "Panzer Dragoon Mini". I never knew it existed until just this week when my friend at work mentioned it to me. I guess they used "Mini" in conjunction with Virtua Fighter Mini that also came out in Japan. Is that also a rare Game Gear game, Virtua Fighter Mini ? I had the US version over 15 years ago, I've never seen it in person again ever since.

lumclaw
09-02-2017, 10:34 PM
Go look for G Sonic complete in box. Too bad you gain nothing with the game itself, it's included in Sonic Blast via region detection.

j_factor
09-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Virtua Fighter Mini isn't common, but I wouldn't really call it rare either. On name alone it sold more than Sonic or Panzer Dragoon in Japan. There was also a special Virtua Fighter edition Game Gear with the game packed in. It didn't sell great, but that's still however many thousands more copies of the game.

Tripredacus
09-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Does Car License count? :D

Gogogadget
09-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Go look for G Sonic complete in box. Too bad you gain nothing with the game itself, it's included in Sonic Blast via region detection.

Also, you get a copy of G Sonic

Which would be a terrible shame because you might accidentally play it

Prince Talmit
09-05-2017, 11:52 PM
I quite enjoy G Sonic / Sonic Blast.
I mainly play it on TV though, through a Japanese plug-n-play system. The native Game Gear screen doesn't do the game any favors.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
02-14-2018, 10:29 AM

I remember walking into a Woolworths (a now defunct chain of shops over here that sold everything under the sun) back in '94/'95 time and seeing that they were selling Altered Beast (brand new) for the Mega Drive for £49.99. I shit you not. Charging £49.99 for what was, at that point, a six year old Mega Drive launch title. No wonder those shops went bust...

monsterG
05-04-2018, 01:59 AM
Griffin is a rare-ish shooter with softcore intermissions akin to Namco Arcade games.

Batter Up and Ottifants are rare-ish.

I agree with the thoughts on Codemasters games in the US being rare.

Getting a value on a game that doesn't turn up on auction sites can be difficult. Some people assume these "little" games can't be worth much and pretty much bin 'em.

Jeckidy
05-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Panzer Dragoon Mini is not worth the price for the game itself, more as just a collectible. It is both one the rarest GG games and one of the worst Panzer Dragoon games. Basically like GG Space Harrier, but I'm sure GG Space Harrier is way more fun than this. Actually, I know it is.

zyrobs
05-06-2018, 02:59 PM
one of the worst Panzer Dragoon games.

Don't you mean: the only bad Panzer Dragoon game?

Assman
05-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Don't you mean: the only bad Panzer Dragoon game?

I was gonna say, what could possibly be worse? Every other game is excellent, unless we're getting into some shitty Tiger handhelds that I don't know about.

Jeckidy
05-07-2018, 03:23 AM
I was gonna say, what could possibly be worse? Every other game is excellent, unless we're getting into some shitty Tiger handhelds that I don't know about.

Sure! :rofl:

BubsyFan1
05-07-2018, 07:37 PM

I'd say the Tiger handheld version is near unplayable. It's hard to tell what is even happening when you're playing it.

Assman
05-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Sure! :rofl:

This is such an expertly crafted, detailed and articulate post that it has forever altered the course my life. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean.

I'll just assume you hate PDS for some reason.

StuOhQ
05-03-2019, 09:31 AM
I've seen complete copies of True Lies go for as little as $23 and has high as $180. I don't think people on eBay know what the hell GG games are worth, lol.

That's honestly a good thing sometimes. Frustrating when you're being asked to shell big bucks for something common, but awesome the other way around.

monsterG
05-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Suoer Golf is rare even as cart-only and worth jack. It was published stateside by Sages Creation - the same company who brought over such meh games as Insector X and Shadow Blasters.