PDA

View Full Version : Super Buggy Champ - Upcoming Genesis Racer - OFFICIAL DEV DIARY!

POLYGAMe
02-11-2016, 04:21 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I've been making games since 2009 but recently decided to make the jump to Genesis/Mega Drive development as... well it's more fulfilling than iOS and Android games.

Super Buggy Champ is an upcoming racer inspired by Out Run and Buggy Boy. I hope to update you on the build process in this very thread.

The game will get a physical release but I'm uncertain of exact details yet as it's early days.

Anyway, here are a few shots of progress so far. The last is a mockup using actual assets as I haven't put sprites in the engine yet.

First I managed garbled gfx:

Next I tried to make a corner:

Next I 'sort of' succeeded:

Then I smoothed it out after a lot of head scratching:

I then got the road scrolling smoothly (can't show in a pic) and this shot shows pretty much where I am now (minus the car):

Next job is to scroll the road adjusting to speed and add in the car sprite.

Thanks for looking :D

Flygon
02-11-2016, 05:42 AM
Ooh, I'm loving those background graphics! And the car too. Who drew them?

POLYGAMe
02-11-2016, 05:58 AM
An artist I hired named Maciej. He's brilliant :) This game is going to cost me a heap so I hope I can sell a few carts. Haha.

That reminds me... I was thinking I might release the rom free and just charge for boxed carts. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision but I figure true Sega collectors will want the physical copy and anyone else would just pirate it anyway. Getting a bit ahead of myself as it's still early days but what do you guys think?

EPSYLON EAGLE
02-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Videos please!

Barone
02-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Some questions if you allow me:
- Which language and SDK are you using?
- Your tracks are going to have elevation changes?
- Split-screen mode?

Awesome looking project. I love racing games.

EyeDeeNo76
02-11-2016, 11:40 AM
I like the look of the buggy. Kind of reminds Road Riot 4WD I used to play in the arcade and than the not so good port on the Super NES.

POLYGAMe
02-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Videos please!

Will upload videos of road movement soon. There are a couple of small bugs but hope to fix on the weekend :)

Some questions if you allow me:
- Which language and SDK are you using?
- Your tracks are going to have elevation changes?
- Split-screen mode

Awesome looking project. I love racing games.

I'm using Stef's SGDK and all code is in C.

Not sure on hills. Road is textured so will depend on how it looks. Also it will be more like Buggy Boy than Out Run. Buggy Boy had no hills, was more about avoiding obstacles.

I'd like to have 2P split screen, yes. Will see how I go. Game is being designed as single player but if I can make it work it will be an option :)

I like the look of the buggy. Kind of reminds Road Riot 4WD I used to play in the arcade and than the not so good port on the Super NES.

I never knew Road Riot was a coin op game!

EyeDeeNo76
02-11-2016, 02:31 PM
I never knew Road Riot was a coin op game!
Indeed it was. I had the pleasure of playing on a deluxe side by side sit down model at one my local arcades back in the day.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/atari/11015602.jpg

EyeDeeNo76
02-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Road is textured so will depend on how it looks. Also it will be more like Buggy Boy than Out Run. Buggy Boy had no hills, was more about avoiding obstacles. I'd like to have 2P split screen, yes. Will see how I go. Game is being designed as single player but if I can make it work it will be an option :)
Buggy Boy does look like fun and different from anything I seen to play on the Mega-nesis. To bad I don't have one of them flash cartridges to download it to play on my Genesis when you get done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9DtUlwfaM

NeoVamp
02-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Anyway, here are a few shots of progress so far.

Looks awesome! I read a page about how they did these racing games and it was super interesting.
I hope you come up with a great game man, Can't wait to see the end result.

Buggy Boy does look like fun and different from anything I seen to play on the Mega-nesis.

I spend hours playing it on our Atari ST back in the day, great game.

EXKOANmxH14

POLYGAMe
02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Buggy Boy does look like fun and different from anything I seen to play on the Mega-nesis. To bad I don't have one of them flash cartridges to download it to play on my Genesis

There's always emulation or the physical game release :D

Looks awesome! I read a page about how they did these racing games and it was super interesting.
I hope you come up with a great game man, Can't wait to see the end result.

I spend hours playing it on our Atari ST back in the day, great game.

I played the hell out of Buggy Boy on C64. For some reason it never got a console release. The arcade version was pretty cool but the C64 version is still my fave, surprisingly it's much smoother than the 16 bit versions!

QuickSciFi
02-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Great work, brosef. Keep it up. Count me in for any hard copy support if you're planning to also go that route.

BTW, I'm sure Kiwis won't mind it, but on this side of the pond, the name might not bode well for nitpickers trying to find "bugs" on a game called "Super Buggy Champ". ;)

POLYGAMe
02-12-2016, 12:19 AM
Great work, brosef. Keep it up. Count me in for any hard copy support if you're planning to also go that route.

BTW, I'm sure Kiwis won't mind it, but on this side of the pond, the name might not bode well for nitpickers trying to find "bugs" on a game called "Super Buggy Champ". ;)

Yup, hard copy is the number 1 goal. I intend to get custom carts made etc, kinda like EA and Accolade did. I'm not a fan of repurposed cart shells etc. It'll be pricey for the tooling but hey, there's always Kickstarter once the game rom itself is ready :)

Title is working only. I do like it though because it's kinda lame but cool in a retro way. Haha.

POLYGAMe
02-12-2016, 12:21 AM
Indeed it was. I had the pleasure of playing on a deluxe side by side sit down model at one my local arcades back in the day.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/atari/11015602.jpg

That looks epic! Kinda like Power Drift crossed with Outrunners!

EDIT: Christ I just watched a video of the SNES version. It brought back horrible memories. I bought the game back in the day just because it was a racer and the SNES was new to me. What a shocking game. I didn't touch anything from THQ for years... in fact I'm still apprehensive!!!!

Sik
02-12-2016, 12:48 AM
That reminds me... I was thinking I might release the rom free and just charge for boxed carts. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision but I figure true Sega collectors will want the physical copy and anyone else would just pirate it anyway. Getting a bit ahead of myself as it's still early days but what do you guys think?
That's my mentality too (people are paying for the experience of getting a new game), but some people disagree... I wish some guys would get off their high horses and stop thinking they should approach things as if they were AAA publishers.

POLYGAMe
02-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Yeah I think releasing the rom is a good idea. It also forces me to make the best game I can as people won't buy it if they play the rom and think it's crap! Haha.

QuickSciFi
02-12-2016, 06:23 AM
I don't think you'd be losing a dime in the long if you release the ROM freely. The people that are truly interested in buying a hard copy, myself included, are in it for collectability's sake. Best of luck with the game.

POLYGAMe
02-12-2016, 06:25 AM
I don't think you'd be losing a dime in the long if you release the ROM freely. The people that are truly interested in buying a hard copy, myself included, are in it for collectability's sake. Best of luck with the game.

My thoughts exactly :) And thanks!

EyeDeeNo76
02-12-2016, 09:08 AM
That looks epic! Kinda like Power Drift crossed with Outrunners!
EDIT: Christ I just watched a video of the SNES version. It brought back horrible memories. I bought the game back in the day just because it was a racer and the SNES was new to me. What a shocking game. I didn't touch anything from THQ for years... in fact I'm still apprehensive!!!!
I got my copy way back than too and still have it. I bought it thinking it would be close to the arcade counterpart but they mucked it up by making it split screen I see that was nice for the 2 player but the single player. I am a sucker when it comes to racing games. Versions of the game for the Lynx and Genesis were developed also but never got released. I wish they did, looks better on this Lynx Beta video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ592incMn0

POLYGAMe
02-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Ok, the sky should scroll but when I activate the function it causes a weird issue. Basically this is really short and just shows a corner and road scrolling. There are some colour issues that need to be fixed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWAqPQwzv90&feature=youtu.be

QuickSciFi
02-13-2016, 10:54 PM
I like the colos and the design. Keep up the good work brother. I really like racing games. They were the first genre I've ever played in any platform (mid 80s). As long as you make it easily beatable, I'm OK with it. I've never been able to beat a single Genesis racer. I wouldn't mind yours being my first one ever ;).

EPSYLON EAGLE
02-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Reminds Street Racer.

POLYGAMe
02-13-2016, 11:33 PM
I like the colos and the design. Keep up the good work brother. I really like racing games. They were the first genre I've ever played in any platform (mid 80s). As long as you make it easily beatable, I'm OK with it. I've never been able to beat a single Genesis racer. I wouldn't mind yours being my first one ever ;).

It will be possible to complete but you'll have to work at it. I know what you mean. Never got more than two or three levels into most racers back then! I'll more than likely ask people from these forums to help test too. Good to have fresh eyes on it.

Reminds Street Racer.

That game was my inspiration for the textured road ;)

NeoVamp
02-14-2016, 12:37 AM
Ok, the sky should scroll but when I activate the function it causes a weird issue.
Basically this is really short and just shows a corner and road scrolling. There are some colour issues that need to be fixed too.

Maybe this thread should be moved to Blast Processing, you'd probably get some tips by other fellow coders that way.

Sik
02-14-2016, 04:40 AM
To be fair, a common problem with racing games is the absurdly tight time limit. I should know, playing Outrunners at the highest difficulty but with the time bonus at max :P (ok, the AI not liking the increased traffic may have helped too...)

I think you could avoid most of the problem by just being reasonably forgiving with the time limit (if you have one!).

POLYGAMe
02-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Maybe this thread should be moved to Blast Processing, you'd probably get some tips by other fellow coders that way.

Hehe, I wasn't sure if I'd posted it in the right place TBH.

To be fair, a common problem with racing games is the absurdly tight time limit. I should know, playing Outrunners at the highest difficulty but with the time bonus at max :P (ok, the AI not liking the increased traffic may have helped too...)

I think you could avoid most of the problem by just being reasonably forgiving with the time limit (if you have one!).
There'll be a time limit but it will be fair. I'll get a load of people to test for that reason :)

negative chill
02-14-2016, 01:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWAqPQwzv90&feature=youtu.be
Hope the rest of it looks just as beautiful

LinkueiBR
02-14-2016, 02:35 PM
YES!
I love pseudo 3d Racing games and never seen a homebrew project of this style of game for the Mega Drive/Genesis
Keep it going!

Golpezas
02-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Lou's Pseudo 3d Page http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/

POLYGAMe
02-14-2016, 07:21 PM
YES!
I love pseudo 3d Racing games and never seen a homebrew project of this style of game for the Mega Drive/Genesis
Keep it going!

Thanks! Fixed the bug so more videos coming soon :)

POLYGAMe
02-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Quick update. I'm playing around with assembly language and thinking of swapping the project over from C. Either way, the artist is still working away but as I learn the new language, updates may be a little slower.

Sik
02-18-2016, 06:41 AM
The upside is that raster effects may be easier to pull off (and you need them for hills or even just to animate the road). Remember the hblank interrupt needs to be as fast as possible.

Jeckidy
02-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Do you make the graphics and sound yourself? This racer is not of the normal type. Looks very promising, which is saying something, as I usually ignore racers that aren't Mario Kart or OutRun.

POLYGAMe
02-18-2016, 01:55 PM
The upside is that raster effects may be easier to pull off (and you need them for hills or even just to animate the road). Remember the hblank interrupt needs to be as fast as possible.

The road's actually just traditional animation as it's textured. Just like Street Racer :) As for hills, I'll have a play but the game is more like Buggy Boy than anything else and I think hills could actually be a negative in this case (the aim is really obstacle dodging). I'll definitely test with and without though.

Do you make the graphics and sound yourself? This racer is not of the normal type. Looks very promising, which is saying something, as I usually ignore racers that aren't Mario Kart or OutRun.

I often do my own art. I'm pretty decent at 3D modelling and 'okay' at pixel art but I wanted this game to be better than okay, so I hired an artist. As for music, I'll make some stuff with Deflemask and if I'm not totally happy with my own tunes I'll hire a chip tune artist too. I want this game to be as high quality as possible :)

cleeg
02-18-2016, 02:31 PM
All the best with this, it looks very nice. I wish I was as clever.

POLYGAMe
02-18-2016, 04:51 PM
All the best with this, it looks very nice. I wish I was as clever.

LOL I wish I was clever. As soon as I learn stuff I forget it. Haha.

matteus
02-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Music and graphics are my weak areas! To be above average in all 3 is really lucky :)

xelement5x
02-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Looking very cool indeed!

POLYGAMe
02-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Music and graphics are my weak areas! To be above average in all 3 is really lucky :)

I'd say I'm pretty average at all three. That's why I'm paying an artist and will probably pay a musician. At least the players can't actually see or hear my code. Hahaha.

Looking very cool indeed!
Thanks :D Hopefully get the road system nearly finished this weekend so can upload more tests.

POLYGAMe
02-20-2016, 10:49 PM
I'd hoped to get a bit more done this weekend but I had to do some work and I also had a few beers. Got the sky scrolling, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8T4wi6icK0&feature=youtu.be

QuickSciFi
02-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Love the look of it.

POLYGAMe
02-21-2016, 03:54 AM
Love the look of it.

Cheers :) Artist sure is doing a good job. I'm very happy :)

POLYGAMe
02-22-2016, 04:18 AM
Having issues with turning left - like Zoolander? For some reason my road doesn't like negative integers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAfB155XBIQ&feature=youtu.be

ComradeOj
02-22-2016, 04:24 AM
Having issues with turning left - like Zoolander? For some reason my road doesn't like negative integers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAfB155XBIQ&feature=youtu.be

Are you using signed numbers for the road effect? I remember when I was experimenting with raster effects. I could skew right just fine, but skewing left had a similar effect as your video. It was because I was using MULU (multiply unsigned) instead of MULS (multiply signed). I know you're using C instead of ASM, but maybe you could still check if your using signed or unsigned values.

Here is how it looked after using signed values:
http://gfycat.com/ScentedIncomparableGosling
http://gfycat.com/GoldenFineAustraliankestrel

POLYGAMe
02-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Are you using signed numbers for the road effect? I remember when I was experimenting with raster effects. I could skew right just fine, but skewing left had a similar effect as your video. It was because I was using MULU (multiply unsigned) instead of MULS (multiply signed). I know you're using C instead of ASM, but maybe you could still check if your using signed or unsigned values.

Here is how it looked after using signed values:
http://gfycat.com/ScentedIncomparableGosling
http://gfycat.com/GoldenFineAustraliankestrel

Pretty sure they're all signed but an unsigned int might have snuck it's way in. I need to check...

EDIT: Yup! My offset variable was an unsigned int. DOH!

POLYGAMe
02-24-2016, 06:21 AM
While I was struggling with the road movement the artist cranked out the title screen :D

matteus
02-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Pretty sure they're all signed but an unsigned int might have snuck it's way in. I need to check...

EDIT: Yup! My offset variable was an unsigned int. DOH!

Haha this is the first thing I thought of when I saw your issue unsigned ints! Ironic given the effect you're pulling off is something I wouldn't have a clue how to do!

Gogogadget
02-24-2016, 08:02 AM
An artist I hired named Maciej. He's brilliant :) This game is going to cost me a heap so I hope I can sell a few carts. Haha.

How about setting up a donate function so people without real hardware or flash carts can download the ROM and be nice enough to chuck a few dollars your way?

POLYGAMe
02-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Haha this is the first thing I thought of when I saw your issue unsigned ints! Ironic given the effect you're pulling off is something I wouldn't have a clue how to do!

LOL I had no idea either. A lot of help from Stef at Spritesmind! It's actually not too tough to pull off though. Pretty much a single for loop. Haha.

How about setting up a donate function so people without real hardware or flash carts can download the ROM and be nice enough to chuck a few dollars your way?

Yeah I might do that. I like the idea of releasing the rom into the wild so I know people can play before they buy the physical copy. I figure only hardcore collectors will buy carts anyway. Still a long way from releasing, though!

matteus
02-24-2016, 10:25 AM
LOL I had no idea either. A lot of help from Stef at Spritesmind! It's actually not too tough to pull off though. Pretty much a single for loop. Haha.

And done to great effect! I noticed you're a new zealander! Love Auckland! :) Any chance I can catch you for a catch at some point regarding dev?

EyeDeeNo76
02-24-2016, 10:53 AM
While I was struggling with the road movement the artist cranked out the title screen :D

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11223&stc=1
I can't see this title screen. Anyone else or I'm I the only one? All I see is Attachment 11223 as a link to "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Edit:
I figure only hardcore collectors will buy carts anyway. Still a long way from releasing, though!
I don't consider myself a hardcore collector but I'm still interested in a physical copy of a fun driving title for my Genesis.

Sik
02-24-2016, 12:35 PM
The Project MD thread also has a broken attachment. I guess attachments in general broke?

POLYGAMe
02-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Strange... trying again:

EDIT: Still doing odd attachment thing so I've posted it online: http://postimg.org/image/ww6xw8w5v/

POLYGAMe
02-24-2016, 01:59 PM
And done to great effect! I noticed you're a new zealander! Love Auckland! :) Any chance I can catch you for a catch at some point regarding dev?
Catch for a catch? I'm not good at sports... :P

EyeDeeNo76
02-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Yeah, vBulletin's up-loader not so good.

http://s13.postimg.org/ljucegnh3/title_fin.png

I suddenly want to go hit the beach.

cleeg
02-24-2016, 03:09 PM
I can just hear Magical Sound Shower somewhere in the distance...

LinkueiBR
02-24-2016, 03:26 PM

Beautiful title screen! Reminded me a bit RC Grand Prix for the SEGA Master System LOL
http://img2.game-oldies.com/sites/default/files/titles/sega-master-system/r.c.grand-prix-usa-europe.png

To post images:
http://s13.postimg.org/ljucegnh3/title_fin.png (remove the space)

Zebbe
02-24-2016, 04:10 PM
The attachment function of the forum is broken. Use [img] tags via a different host (for example Photo Bucket) instead.

POLYGAMe
02-25-2016, 12:57 AM

Beautiful title screen! Reminded me a bit RC Grand Prix for the SEGA Master System LOL
http://img2.game-oldies.com/sites/default/files/titles/sega-master-system/r.c.grand-prix-usa-europe.png

To post images:
http://s13.postimg.org/ljucegnh3/title_fin.png (remove the space)
I did consider animating the front wheels like in RC GP :D

cleeg
02-25-2016, 03:19 AM
The sea would look nice animated with birds flying by? It's really looking nice as is of course.

POLYGAMe
02-25-2016, 03:38 AM
Yeah I'm thinking I'll get the sea 'twinkling'. Just getting the basics done first. Currently the ingame car is still too but will animate for driving/jumping. Long process but I think the hard stuff is done. I have a plan for a very cool effect which I've never seen used in a Mega Drive racing game. Will upload videos if/when I succeed :D

SEGA.GENESIS1989
02-28-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm curious whether you may consider adding weather effects to the game. Rain, sleet, snow ... whoops ... into the ditch I go! :p

Very nice use of color so far! I can't wait to see what the final product will look like!

POLYGAMe
02-28-2016, 12:59 AM
There will be a snow level but I hadn't actually thought of rain and/or snow effects. Not a bad idea :)

SEGA.GENESIS1989
02-28-2016, 01:16 AM
There will be a snow level but I hadn't actually thought of rain and/or snow effects. Not a bad idea :)

Glad to be of service! :D Let me take the time to say thanks for taking the time to create a game for the Mega Drive!

This old guy (that would be me) is very happy! :p

POLYGAMe
02-28-2016, 03:11 AM
Glad to be of service! :D Let me take the time to say thanks for taking the time to create a game for the Mega Drive!

This old guy (that would be me) is very happy! :p

No worries. I'm old now too (just turned 40) so I have nothing better to do. Haha.

POLYGAMe
03-06-2016, 12:49 AM
Not really much progress as I've been doing too much drinking and not enough coding but I expect that to change now that'd I've had my big 4-0. I'll probably drink MORE :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2etCqjkuF8&feature=youtu.be

Got the most basic of corners working left and right. Just need to make everything speed dependant and throw in some sprites. Teaching myself Deflemask too so I can add some music.

OmegaMax
03-06-2016, 01:12 AM
Not really much progress as I've been doing too much drinking and not enough coding but I expect that to change now that'd I've had my big 4-0. I'll probably drink MORE :P

:D cheers

cleeg
03-06-2016, 04:43 AM

Remember, don't drink and MegaDrive.

POLYGAMe
03-06-2016, 05:11 AM
Remember, don't drink and MegaDrive.

But I'm an excellent Mega Driver when I'm drunk!

cleeg
03-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Nice work with the corners too, it seems the drinking does help.

POLYGAMe
04-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Hey guys, sadly I'm finding this project a bit ambitious for my current skill with C and the Genny. I've decided to put it on hold while I work on a simple shooter to get to grips with the hardware. I'll post a thread once I have something solid to show :)

cleeg
04-25-2016, 05:23 AM
Are you sure you're drinking enough? ;)

Have fun with the new project, I for one love shooters and look forward to it.

OmegaMax
04-26-2016, 04:17 PM
I'm not a hug fan of shooters,but there are a few that are fantastic(r-type,blazing lazers)