PDA

View Full Version : The Lost World: Jurassic Park looks seriously amazing

stika
03-16-2016, 09:38 PM
j-w7Br4A2_M

The graphics, sound and gameplay look amazing for an 8-bit handheld. I wonder this game isn't talked about more often? It looks like a hidden gem if I ever saw one.

retrospiel
03-17-2016, 11:44 AM
That is a hidden gem indeed! Nice find! :)

Arkanoid
03-21-2016, 03:15 PM
I picked this game up recently, it's actually pretty rare and expensive (from a loose US game gear game perspective). I don't see any on ebay atm. It looks great and it's fun to play. It's a bit short as you can see from the longplay video but they still mix it up a bit with a level where you play as a dinosaur and a driving level at the end. This was the last game gear game made and the only one made in 1997. Aside from having the best graphics on the system you can also tell how modern it is by the lack of a HUD, your health is determined by the color of your jacket. I still kind of prefer the original Jurassic Park on GG which is one of my favorite games on the system, but Lost World is definitely worth picking up if you can find it.

Thierry Henry
03-21-2016, 04:24 PM
I picked this game up recently, it's actually pretty rare and expensive (from a loose US game gear game perspective). I don't see any on ebay atm.

I remember it being hard to find, but not very expensive when I did find one. Admittedly, that was a good few years ago.

I prefer it over the other GG Jurassic Park game. Both fun games.

http://i.imgur.com/COMtrIt.jpg

cleeg
03-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Nice find, that's very impressive indeed for such a limited system. Some samples that rival MegaDrive quality there too.

Tanooki
04-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Wow I don't usually go through longer clips like that especially for movie license games but that looks surprisingly good and fun. I got the original one in a lot a couple weeks ago and I can't get into it, just really rough and kind of cheap but that is the total obvious like someone despite being stuck with a license cared to make something fun of it.

DragonFire
04-25-2016, 03:52 PM
The controls in the velociraptor area take some getting used to but otherwise it's a pretty great (and great-looking) game. I think I slightly prefer the original Jurassic Park since you have more weapons and larger stages. Both are pretty great games though. I've also read that The Lost World is the very last game released by Sega for the Game Gear. Majesco released Super Battletank a few years later but Sega themselves didn't publish any more games after The Lost World.

Tanooki
04-26-2016, 02:28 PM
I think I remember that being the case too, and a fast peek at sega retro if they're right is correct. Lost World was out in Aug 97 and before that back in Nov 96 was Sonic Blast before that. The only other really good notables before it that year were Bust a Move, VF Animation fighter and Baku Baku Animal in 96 as well. At least even if it was a bit of a trickle the GG went out with solid releases by Sega at least. Can't say so much for Super Battletank, kind of an acquired taste on any system which popped up in 2001. I wonder how the deal, organization, creation and publishing on that one since Sega had no hand in any of it.

Tanooki
05-11-2016, 10:23 AM
I got a hold of this game along with prince of persia and shining force (along with link to the past snes port to gba )in a straight trade for 3 game music cds in the mail yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

A Black Falcon
05-12-2016, 08:14 PM
This is a bad, bad game, one last way-too-short-and-easy bad Game Gear game to toss on the pile. Here's what I wrote about the game on another forum after buying and beating the game back in 2011 (I finished it almost immediately, of course, there is no challenge here):

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - This licensed platformer from Sega was the last game Sega released for the GG, and is its only 1997 release. It's got the name of the movie, but like the Genesis game has nothing to do with it in terms of story; you're just some nameless hunter at Site B.

Unfortunately, it's short (seven not very long levels) and not particularly difficult, most of the time. This game doesn't take long to finish. The graphics are okay, but not amazing. It looks just good enough to do without trying to really look the best. There's only one weapon, which has infinite ammo. The only pickups are health powerups that look like vests. Walk around, avoid or shoot the dinosaurs, and get through the short levels. Generic stuff, but it's executed okay, what little there is. I like the levels that are here, there just needed to be more of them, and the game needed more exciting things like other weapons, other pickups, and more. The game just doesn't have enough to it.

One of the six platform levels is a little bit of a change of pace, as you control a small dinosaur (ally of your nameless hunter character) instead of the guy. This guy dies in one hit, with no powerups available, so this level is by far the hardest level in the game, and does get a little frustrating, though not too bad. I wish there was at least one more dinosaur level, why go to all that trouble for just the one stage?

Oh, there's a boss at the end of each level. All six bossfights are well done, and are highlights of the game. They were fun, interesting (or as interesting as this game gets, anyway), and varied, though some were easier than others. You have only one life per continue, but do have infinite continues, so you can keep trying. You start a level over if you die, unless you were at the boss, in which case you start from the boss. Not exactly trying to make it too hard here, or trying very hard with this design...

Overall, that really is the game. I mean, almost no pickups, few, short levels, only scattered enemies a lot of the time... this game just feels lazy and incomplete. It's not a bad start at a game, if it were at least twice as long I'd think much more positively of it, but there's not enough there.

At least they did something different for the final stage, it's a driving level with the T-Rex chasing you, and you're looking backwards, driving towards the screen, trying to avoid its constant attacks. Kind of fun really, it'd have been good as a level in the middle of the game or something like The Lion King's stampede level. But in this case, you finish it and that's it, you win. What, did you expect a climactic boss fight? There sort of was one at the end of level 6, where you have to run away from the T-Rex, shooting it while the giant thing chases you, and that was kind of cool, and the car chase after that was fun too, but... then that's it, you win? Bah, poor design. I'm not surprised though, this game obviously wasn't exactly an A-class effort. It's another very short Game Gear game. Ah well, at least what little there is to the game is tolerably fun. Still, it's too short, lacking, and simplistic to be anything better than a C or D grade game, I think.

Tanooki
05-14-2016, 07:26 PM
It may be a short game but it really isn't a bad one. Mind you I'd probably feel like I got screwed had I paid $30 back in the day on it because of that, but it plays nice, looks and sounds really well too. It's just like how FPS games have gone over the years, long to short, and this is a short game. It's not a C, but I'd give you a B/B- on it as it's no A game.

A Black Falcon
05-15-2016, 12:31 AM
It may be a short game but it really isn't a bad one. Mind you I'd probably feel like I got screwed had I paid $30 back in the day on it because of that, but it plays nice, looks and sounds really well too. It's just like how FPS games have gone over the years, long to short, and this is a short game. It's not a C, but I'd give you a B/B- on it as it's no A game.

Seriously? A B? You'd give an incredibly short and easy game you'll probably beat the first hour you own it, which has only one weapon (with infinite ammo) and no items to collect in the game other than often-unnecessary health, no real final boss, and very basic gameplay a B? A B is for good games. This is not a good game, not even close. Sure, the GG has a lot of not-good games, but even so you can do much better than this. This game isn't the worst game I have for the GG, but it's below average for sure, and really is bad overall. (In addition to The Lost World, other Game Gear sidescrollers published by Sega that I consider below average to poor include X-Men, Tom & Jerry: The Movie, Ninja Gaiden, Sonic 2, Taz-Mania, Desert Speedtrap, Surf Ninjas, and The Little Mermaid. I could make good cases for all of those games getting failing grades. I'm sure they all have fans here, but I'm not one. There are good Game Gear games, but there are also too many bad ones...)

Black_Tiger
05-15-2016, 01:01 AM
Seriously? A B? You'd give an incredibly short and easy game you'll probably beat the first hour you own it, which has only one weapon (with infinite ammo) and no items to collect in the game other than often-unnecessary health, no real final boss, and very basic gameplay a B? A B is for good games. This is not a good game, not even close. Sure, the GG has a lot of not-good games, but even so you can do much better than this. This game isn't the worst game I have for the GG, but it's below average for sure, and really is bad overall. (In addition to The Lost World, other Game Gear sidescrollers published by Sega that I consider below average to poor include X-Men, Tom & Jerry: The Movie, Ninja Gaiden, Sonic 2, Taz-Mania, Desert Speedtrap, Surf Ninjas, and The Little Mermaid. I could make good cases for all of those games getting failing grades. I'm sure they all have fans here, but I'm not one. There are good Game Gear games, but there are also too many bad ones...)

Your comments about this game also describe Super Mario RPG. Do you think that it's also a bad game?

A Black Falcon
05-15-2016, 01:20 AM
Your comments about this game also describe Super Mario RPG. Do you think that it's also a bad game?

I haven't played Mario RPG, but I somehow doubt that it's so easy you finish it the first hour you play it... and it has other things that can draw people in like story, etc.

Tanooki
05-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Well I can't give your opinion much value when you also basically call Ninja Gaiden and Sonic 2 crap too. While not much of a Sonic fan I like that one, but I really do enjoy Ninja Gaiden. As far as the Lost World goes, I have both JP games and while I think LW is like a B- level title, I'd put the prequel as the notably worse title as it's just annoying. I don't knock games for being short. Maybe had I paid retail for it in the 90s I'd be pissed, but I got it in a trade probably valued around $5 or so for the cart along with Prince of Persia and Shining Force so I don't have the investment into it. Maybe if I put up $30 for it I'd be pissed at it for being short, but for what it is I like it, it plays fine, looks and sounds nice too. It's not a masterpiece, but it's not a turd. Same can be said with Ninja Gaiden which I've got $10 into and maybe less amused if I had $30 in it as well.

The sad? reality of it is I just take the games for what they are and within their time period. Second to that but just nearly as important is the price. The less it costs me the less I'm going to be offended by something for being short. $5 or $50 if a game has broken control, bugs, crash bugs/progression stoppers, questionably crappy design flaws then I'll rip on it all the same. When those games came out for this system in that time period for what the system was known at the time of being capable of doing they're good enough as they're not badly flawed, just short.

Alianger
06-12-2016, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't call it bad for the GG but I agree with most of Black Falcon's criticism. Didn't seem like that much effort went into it besides with the graphics which use the GG palette pretty well, and I definitely prefer the first game. I can see how the first one would be annoying if you don't like Castlevania-style action games, but it's still more varied and creative than this one.

Ninja Gaiden was also really short and pretty easy on GG, a lot worse than the SMS game in most ways to me.
Sonic 2 is just really cheap in some ways, but once you memorize the levels it's pretty good overall. Still I would rank it below Triple Trouble and the first one, maybe even Chaos.

SuicidalSalmon
06-22-2016, 03:14 PM
I must be really off base, I loved the first Jurassic Park game as well as Tom and Jerry: The Movie, Surf Ninjas, and Ninja Gaiden. Sonic 2's hang gliding sections still give me heartburn. I put those on par with the battle toads car segments.