PDA

View Full Version : Which Street Fighter?

Genesis Knight
08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Championship Edition or Super?

Melf
08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
I prefer CE. I'm still wondering where the extra 8 megs went in Super SF.

Drixxel
08-29-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm still wondering where the extra 8 megs went in Super SF.

Dee Jay's extreme personality had to fit somewhere.

Special Championship Edition is my pick of the two. It's Street Fighter II in its prime.

j_factor
08-30-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm still wondering where the extra 8 megs went in Super SF.

MAX OUT!

I'm going to cast the lone vote for Super. I prefer its moveslist, and I really like Cammy and T.Hawk.

danielscheil
08-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Chung Li is more sexy in super :-) and there is Cammy
but sce is the original arcade game... the intro is great.
i like both of them

Fang
08-30-2005, 06:41 AM
I think I prefer super because more characters to pick from but still both are great.

Vicman
08-30-2005, 07:11 AM
The original cast hands down. For me it's CE.

crazyjoedavola
08-30-2005, 07:45 AM
I'd have to agree with Vicman. CE is my favorite of the two.

16bitter
08-30-2005, 08:45 PM
I like both. I was really into Super during its run, whereas many dropped it purely for MKII and/or because they were so pissed over the speed decrease.

As for SF in its prime? I don't think the series ever tanked (well, maybe SFA3 could fit here), and the SFIII releases remain the pinnacle of one on one fighting.

As far as Gen, I've been playing more SCE lately, but I used to play more Super.

StRiDA CoL
08-31-2005, 01:50 PM
if the SF game has Gulie, Ryu, Ken, Sagat, i dont care

Vorty
08-31-2005, 08:07 PM
I think CE rocks the house. Super SF2 is pretty good but it doesn't have the same feel.

Genesis Knight
08-31-2005, 08:55 PM
How do you guys think Samurai Showdown compares to the Genny SF games?

j_factor
08-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Samurai Shodown for arcade/neo geo definitely holds up, but the Genny port wasn't that great.

Fang
09-01-2005, 07:01 AM
The Samurai Showdown port was ok but I think the ports of SF are just better in quality. I liked the snes version of it better since it has Earthqueake.

Platonism
11-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Super's the best in my mind. Updated moves for the 12 basic fighters; the 4 new challengers are a little disappointing, but they do add something to the whole.

I would've loved a Super Turbo port back in 1995... but it might not have worked too well on the Genesis.

Mel
11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
I vote CE, but I wasn't really impressed SF again until earlier this year when I discovered Alpha 2 on the Saturn. It wow'd me. heh.

daminmancejin2
11-19-2005, 05:52 PM
super street fighter is the best!

Sasquatch
12-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Super

Mendicant
12-19-2005, 03:42 AM
Special Champion Edition. Mainly because of the ability to turn off special moves in the Vs. mode. That and the scrolling clouds/moon in Ryu's level. :D Granted, being an SFII nut, I own one too many versions of the same games, but still, between SCE & Super on the Genesis, I go with SCE.

One more thing... Shortly after the SNES SFII came out, there were rumors of Champion Edition for the Genesis. (Turbo wasn't out back then.) Gamefan, I think, features some screen shots of SFII CE. Two things immidiately stuck out in those screen shots. (Especially compared to the SNES port.) The noticably lower resolution; and the position of the timer & health bar in the black-letter-box-strip.

Can anyone confirm whether it was a beta version that eventually became SCE, or if Gamefan used screen shots from a different port of SFII CE.

Thanks.

Melf
12-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Dude, welcome back! I was wondering where you'd gotten off to. :)

Mr Smith
08-17-2006, 05:44 AM
For me CE had better sounds and voices, however, Super was more responsive and added some nice little extra moves. Granted the new characters were tosh and, when it was released, it was not worth paying £60 for the upgrades, but now that that's no longer an issue Super is easily a cut above CE.

108 Stars
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Championship Edition or Super?

Was the Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition ever released? I thought although the 16-MBit CE was finished it was never released because Sega demanded a "better" version than SF 2 Turbo on SNES.
Or do you mean the Special Champion Edition?

I like the SCE better. I donīt care about the new characters in Super, and the graphics have worsened imho. The colours of the stages have been changed to the worse, just look at Blankaīs stage!
I still wonder why Capcom didnīt have a skilled sound programmer, both games voice samples sound like on the Commodore 64...

Ash
08-18-2006, 01:28 PM
I've had both SCE and Super for a few years now.... never played either one of them yet.

Mr Smith
08-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I've had both SCE and Super for a few years now.... never played either one of them yet.

:o You bring shame on us all! Go play them now and then post which one's best :)

16bitter
08-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I still wonder why Capcom didnīt have a skilled sound programmer, both games voice samples sound like on the Commodore 64...

Capcom fighters and Sega machines clashed more than once on sound. For all their superiority in the animation department over the PS, Saturn games like SFA, X-Men, Nightwarriors, so forth, sound less than stellar.

Thank God for the ram cart. It's too bad MSH doesn't take full advantage of the upgrade -- with 90% of the animation included it runs like shit and the one player mode has zero worth no matter the difficulty setting.

16bitter
08-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Special Champion Edition. Mainly because of the ability to turn off special moves in the Vs. mode. That and the scrolling clouds/moon in Ryu's level. :D

Sorry to burst your bubble, sir, but the moon/clouds DO NOT scroll in SCE! AN unforgivable omission.

But it's still better than Turbo on SNES, where there is no moon at all!

NAE1000
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
so many, so incredibly wrong!

whatever your 'gaming alleigance' if you want 16 bit street fighter it's turbo on the SNES or nothing.

i still happily play turbo as it's still one of the tightest-fastest and enjoyable games of the last 20 years!

the megadrive simply can't pull it off- i've had super for a while-and with some speed it would almost be playable. i got a copy of CE in the post this very day and am tempted to throw it out!! crap sprites, crap backgrounds, choppy animation, and piss poor music and sound cripple this game- add all of that to fact that when you put the speed up-the game just slows down anyway!

what a huge pile of steaming donky shite!

i understand people wanting to keep it sega-but the megadrive just can't cope with a game like SF2. shame the 32X bit the bullet so soon-it probably would have done well with a SF game.

so again-you want streetfighter- get a cheap SNES with a couple of pads and a copy of turbo.
enter Down, R, Up, L, Y, B on the title screen for ten star speed and play a game that works!

Zebbe
08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah right. I've tried bought versions, and the SNES version is slower when both have ten stars. Graphics and sound are pretty much the same. I like the Mega Drive 6 button pad better than the SNES pad btw, so I prefer the Mega Drive version.

16-bit
08-22-2006, 01:20 PM
I'll just say Super Street Fighter 2, because I don't have the other ones.

108 Stars
08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
so many, so incredibly wrong!

whatever your 'gaming alleigance' if you want 16 bit street fighter it's turbo on the SNES or nothing.

i still happily play turbo as it's still one of the tightest-fastest and enjoyable games of the last 20 years!

the megadrive simply can't pull it off- i've had super for a while-and with some speed it would almost be playable. i got a copy of CE in the post this very day and am tempted to throw it out!! crap sprites, crap backgrounds, choppy animation, and piss poor music and sound cripple this game- add all of that to fact that when you put the speed up-the game just slows down anyway!

what a huge pile of steaming donky shite!

i understand people wanting to keep it sega-but the megadrive just can't cope with a game like SF2. shame the 32X bit the bullet so soon-it probably would have done well with a SF game.

so again-you want streetfighter- get a cheap SNES with a couple of pads and a copy of turbo.
enter Down, R, Up, L, Y, B on the title screen for ten star speed and play a game that works!

Heathen!!!:hand:

Street Fighter 2 Turbo is definately inferior to SCE!
Sprites and animation are as good as in Turbo, the backrounds may not be as colourfull, but therefore they have some additional details.
The sound is better on SNES, granted, but the music on SCE is in no way bad.
I find it amazing that your copy of the game gets slower the more stars you activate. Must be a very Special Champion Edition you have there.
As if the Genesis would ever lose in the ways of speed to a SNES with itīs old NES CPU.:rofl:
Not quite sure, but I cannot recall that there were as many features in Turbo...
was there a team battle? Or the possibility to activate / deactivate special moves?
The arcade intro?:shame:
SCE has Turbo in it, and it plays as smooth as a SF-game can be. In years of playing I have not encountered a single slowdown.
I would suggest that what youīve played is probably the Master System-version.

Joe Redifer
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Finally, the definitive opinion (which is, of course, fact):

Special Champion Edition, while having a name that reminds me of retarded kids competing against each other (they're all winners), is the better of the two. The sound and voices are better in Special Champion Edition as well, though that doesn't mean the game sounds as good as, say, Burnout Revenge on the Xbox played in Dolby Digital 5.1 with a custom soundtrack of Wangan Midnight 2 by Yuzo Koshiro, but it is still better than how Super sounds. For Super they fired the guy who did the original voices and hired a new pansie-tastic individual who has barely reached puberty. His voice seems like 9 octaves higher than the dude from the original. And that means Guile sounds about as non-threatening as a kitten as well. His "Sonic Boom!" sounds more like a tepid, effeminate suggestion than anything else. Then it is further wrecked by the Genesis' crippled PSG sound chip which I assume is running the voices in this game because it sure doesn't sound like PCM! And the tunes are less wrecked in Special Champion Edition as well.

But they both pretty much play the same. The new characters in Super aren't too great besides Cammy.

Mr Smith
08-23-2006, 05:54 AM
To say the new characters "aren't too great" is a massive understatement. The characters are awful - especially T.Hawk who is impossible to play as yet when the CPU plays as him he is very tricky to beat.

NAE1000
08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Heathen!!!:hand:

Street Fighter 2 Turbo is definately inferior to SCE!
Sprites and animation are as good as in Turbo, the backrounds may not be as colourfull, but therefore they have some additional details.
The sound is better on SNES, granted, but the music on SCE is in no way bad.
I find it amazing that your copy of the game gets slower the more stars you activate. Must be a very Special Champion Edition you have there.
As if the Genesis would ever lose in the ways of speed to a SNES with itīs old NES CPU.:rofl:
Not quite sure, but I cannot recall that there were as many features in Turbo...
was there a team battle? Or the possibility to activate / deactivate special moves?
The arcade intro?:shame:
SCE has Turbo in it, and it plays as smooth as a SF-game can be. In years of playing I have not encountered a single slowdown.
I would suggest that what youīve played is probably the Master System-version.

HAHAHAHA! oh really. please play these games side by side- i have. and no, no team battle in turbo-but no slow down either. mD pad isn't built for a game like street fighter-it's far too loose. it does the job yes-but when there's a better alternative, why not take it.

music-no way bad? again side by side comparrison

smooth?? yeah, y'know-i think someone must have swapped the internals of my MD for a master system-and the MD i owned before that, and the one before that- and my friends MDs, i think about six of them..........

have you actually played turbo?

108 Stars
08-23-2006, 06:07 PM
HAHAHAHA! oh really. please play these games side by side- i have. and no, no team battle in turbo-but no slow down either. mD pad isn't built for a game like street fighter-it's far too loose. it does the job yes-but when there's a better alternative, why not take it.

music-no way bad? again side by side comparrison

smooth?? yeah, y'know-i think someone must have swapped the internals of my MD for a master system-and the MD i owned before that, and the one before that- and my friends MDs, i think about six of them..........

have you actually played turbo?

I said the SNES sound was better, but still the MD sound is not bad beside the voice samples.
I actually have played Turbo, donīt worry, everybody here knows that I donīt just protect the MD for fanboyish reasons, so if I make a statement, I make it for a reason.
I still find it funny that you experienced slow-downs in SCE...It was my "main game" for over a year, and there has never been a single slowdown.
As for the controllers, canīt say how well the Sega 6-button really does because I sticked with third parties. But the SNES L and R triggers are definately bad, they get pretty loose after a while, so I cannot believe that the MD pads do an even worse job with SF 2.:lol:

Mr Smith
08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
The SNES controllers are brightly coloured and had far too many buttons! True Street Fighter mastery comes with a 3-button Mega Drive controller as there's no pause button and you have to switch rapidly between punches and kicks.

Raijin Z
08-23-2006, 07:46 PM
The SNES controllers are brightly coloured and had far too many buttons! True Street Fighter mastery comes with a 3-button Mega Drive controller as there's no pause button and you have to switch rapidly between punches and kicks.
You don't play a 6 button game with a 3 button controller.

ary incorparated
08-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Probably he does i did also,then youre be4comign the ultimate master in how far there actualy skill in street fighetr insted of simple moves and trikes,i know that you only have some block characters and some grab characters,i played the game last on my bros 360 and didnt love it any,more like i used to,the skill was simple the moves where limited you only had one grab/counter alike move spin kick,Shouriuken or something and weak punch hard punch hard kick weak kick,and a haduken with ken thats about it al the moves countable on one or perhaps two hands,how would that actually work for a skillful fighting game at all.3rd strike remains the most skilfull one.Nowdays i dont love the game anymore and about championship edition its indeed obviously weaker then its snes counter part/first lesser colors second same animations,3rd crappy sound(decent sound)/a year later released for md,it has many weakneses also does SSf,lack of color on genesis 40MB for nothing,animations not impressive,Graphics lacking many colors compared to snes/3do version,sound very thin guitar use isnt bad but they didnt put effort in that either,aggain snes street fighter is better,i would say this is more a snes game then a megadrive one i probably bet that many people dont even knwo a genesis game of street fighter(the kindo casual gamer then.).

NAE1000
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
I still find it funny that you experienced slow-downs in SCE...It was my "main game" for over a year, and there has never been a single slowdown.
As for the controllers, canīt say how well the Sega 6-button really does because I sticked with third parties. But the SNES L and R triggers are definately bad, they get pretty loose after a while, so I cannot believe that the MD pads do an even worse job with SF 2.:lol:

honestly??

i get slowdown when special moves are pulled, with two fireballs on screen at once, with execution of heavy contact moves. the whole timing of the game is off-there's no constant speed.

SNES pads rule for SF2! as with most gamepads, they're fairly easy to put right and tighten up should the need arise-but as with everything-treat it well and you wont have to.

as for the three button 'mastry' argument- well- i suppose the six button controllers were a bit of luxury at the time and you maybe couldn't afford one? :p
but really...... six button game-six button pad, that's how it works.

108 Stars
08-24-2006, 11:43 AM
honestly??

i get slowdown when special moves are pulled, with two fireballs on screen at once, with execution of heavy contact moves. the whole timing of the game is off-there's no constant speed.

Honestly. Not a single slowdown.
Iīm not sure if maybe the Japanese or US-versions have any slowdowns, but the PAL-version is absolutely smooth....

denveraic
08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
To me its gotta be super street fighter. Sure the sound wasnt quite as good i agree. But i just feel the game was more polished and had better graphics and all in all was just down right better than champion. Both are so great tho.

NAE1000
08-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Honestly. Not a single slowdown.
Iīm not sure if maybe the Japanese or US-versions have any slowdowns, but the PAL-version is absolutely smooth....

i'm a brit through n through- All PAL!

108 Stars
08-27-2006, 07:12 AM
i'm a brit through n through- All PAL!

In that case, Iīm absolutely clueless.
Maybe you have got the Very Special Champion Edition with slowdowns as a special feature!:idea:

B - Mark
08-27-2006, 11:22 AM
My favorite Street Fighter II for Genesis / Mega Drive is Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition.

This is a good game.

SF II Special Champion Edition had a graphics more similar than Arcade version.

Super Street Fighter II is a good game for the system, but the Champion Edition is better for me.

NAE1000
08-28-2006, 10:42 AM
In that case, Iīm absolutely clueless.
Maybe you have got the Very Special Champion Edition with slowdowns as a special feature!:idea:

possibly :p

are you using a MD1 or MD2?

perhaps there is some advantage to the MD2 hardware- anyone feel free tp chip in here.........

j_factor
08-28-2006, 02:29 PM
The SNES pad fucking sucks for Street Fighter. I don't get how anyone can use a controller with 4 face buttons for a 6 button fighter. I find the use of L and R as additional punches and kicks to be completely ridiculous, and wholly inferior to having six face buttons in two rows of three.

Zebbe
08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
And the D-pad is worse too! It has only 4 directions, instead of 8 which is necessary if you want to do the special powers flawlessly.

108 Stars
08-28-2006, 03:00 PM
possibly

are you using a MD1 or MD2?

perhaps there is some advantage to the MD2 hardware- anyone feel free tp chip in here.........

Iīm using a Mega Drive 1 Iīve bought in 1991.:confused:
Itīs really funny, cause I should have noticed the slowdowns if they appear so often and thereīs no constant speed, but it works just fine for me.
And I do have a SNES too. I played Turbo often with my friends who did not have a Mega Drive in the weekends, and from Monday to friday I trained with my SCE.
So I know both versions pretty well, but I never had any problems with the Mega Drive version.
Have you played Super Street Fighter 2 on Mega Drive too? Are there the same problems?

Mr Smith
08-28-2006, 07:47 PM
The SNES pad fucking sucks for Street Fighter. I don't get how anyone can use a controller with 4 face buttons for a 6 button fighter. I find the use of L and R as additional punches and kicks to be completely ridiculous, and wholly inferior to having six face buttons in two rows of three.

As I have stated before I hate the SNES controllers, however, this reminded me of how back the Dreamcast controllers were for Street Fighter Alpha 3!! :fit:

16bitter
08-29-2006, 06:15 AM
And the D-pad is worse too! It has only 4 directions, instead of 8 which is necessary if you want to do the special powers flawlessly.

Um, no. The D-pad is as multi-directional as that of the Genesis. I'd guess that you must not have played many Nintendo games to make such a supposition to begin with.

The only problem with the defacto SNES setup for SF comes in the form of trying to pull off a fierce dragon punch or hadoken consistently.

That being said, the Genesis 6-button is obviously the best there's ever been for Capcom fighters. The SNES controller is much better than some other stock controllers for this type of game though.

You want awful play control in SF? Try using a stock DC or XB pad. It's hilarious it's so bad. Timing and execution are nonexistent.

NAE1000
08-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Iīm using a Mega Drive 1 Iīve bought in 1991.:confused:
Itīs really funny, cause I should have noticed the slowdowns if they appear so often and thereīs no constant speed, but it works just fine for me.
And I do have a SNES too. I played Turbo often with my friends who did not have a Mega Drive in the weekends, and from Monday to friday I trained with my SCE.
So I know both versions pretty well, but I never had any problems with the Mega Drive version.
Have you played Super Street Fighter 2 on Mega Drive too? Are there the same problems?

i bought super before SCE, and it's just plain slow-no slow down's (but then i played for all of three minutes) just really-really-really slow-that's why i bought SCE cuz it was meant to be great-in comp' with super on the megadrive-i suppose it is. just not with turbo.....

as for the pads debate-SNES pads rule for SF, the whole idea of not having six face buttons is great-then they aren't all in the way and you have much more freedom to move on the pad. besides, it must have been a good set up-how many developers produced pads with shoulder buttons/triggers for later consoles?? oh yeah-all of them!

the D-pad on the SNES pad is great too. it is 8 way, but the contacts are designed well enough not to have to hammer the D button into corners, so they aren't there. it's a much tighter-higher quality than the sega pads ever were.

the megdrive controllers (3 & 6 button) do a great job- but nintendo made better ones.

ary incorparated
08-29-2006, 03:18 PM
yes snes controlles are really tight almost to tight,BTW if you didnt know they break easier then genesis controllers cause of the many buttons,Megadrive 6 button is great,Now i know why a made converted his saturn controller to dreamcast,to be Street figfhter 3rd strike master and he is,he parrys almost every attack and does kiler combos with jurgen or something the almost naked dude in street fighter.

Genesisdoes
08-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I actually prefer Street Fighter 2 Turbo or for arcade the Hyperfighting edition, the others are much too slow after playing turbo.

j_factor
08-30-2006, 12:09 AM
as for the pads debate-SNES pads rule for SF, the whole idea of not having six face buttons is great-then they aren't all in the way and you have much more freedom to move on the pad.

I don't get what this means. How are the buttons "in the way"? What "freedom" is provided by such a restriction?

When you played Street Fighter in an arcade, were you yearning for more freedom?

besides, it must have been a good set up-how many developers produced pads with shoulder buttons/triggers for later consoles?? oh yeah-all of them!

And how many of them were designed specifically with Street Fighter in mind? Since Capcom didn't make a console, I'm going to assume it's zero.
(The Street Fighter Anniversary pads may have shoulder buttons, but that's just to maintain compatibility)

I certainly never saw any CPS3 setups with shoulder button controllers.

the D-pad on the SNES pad is great too. it is 8 way, but the contacts are designed well enough not to have to hammer the D button into corners, so they aren't there. it's a much tighter-higher quality than the sega pads ever were.

I disagree. I think the SNES d-pads were too flat, and using one feels almost as stiff as typing on a membrane keyboard. I much preferred the raised, concave nature of the Sega d-pads, which felt much better suited for both semi-circle movements and quick directional changes. It's not just in fighters -- I have an easier time manouvering Pac-Man on Genesis, for example.

Joe Redifer
08-30-2006, 01:18 AM
When you played Street Fighter in an arcade, were you yearning for more freedom?
I loved Street Fighter 2 in the arcade, but there just wasn't enough freedom! Thankfully when the SNES version came out they supercharged it with extra freedom, thereby enhancing my patriotic gameplay experience. I much prefer the SNES freedom versions over those crappy Sega terrorist editions. Where's my flag? I need to wave it! :)

NAE1000
08-30-2006, 08:24 AM
we're not talking about the arcade-that would be a power stick thing anyway and i don't have one.

the megadrive 6 button pads have the buttons too close together, the SNES pad buttons are nicely spaced out allowing for greater freedom of movement.

the anniversary pads thing, shoulder buttons because it's the best set up. they could have put all the button on the face of the pad if they wanted to.......

Zebbe
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
What do you need extra freedom of movement for? It just takes longer time to switch buttons.

108 Stars
08-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I do like to have four buttons on the front, so I can place my thumb in the middle between them and reach all four buttons in an instant without the chance of pushing the wrong button, what can happen with all 6 buttons on the front.

But nevertheless, the shoulder buttons are not as good to play with. They are okay for secondary actions, like menues or something like that, but not for quick playing. So in Street Fighter 2 I always put the light punch and light kick on the shoulder buttons, since I hardly ever use them.

Another disadvantage of the SNES pad is imho that it is to flat, it does not lie in your hand as good as the MD controllers.

In the end itīs a question of training. I guess SNES-players have a hard time with Sega controllers and MD players have a hard time with SNES pads.
Thereīs only one solution: let us all use the good old Atari 2600 joysticks!:D

NAE1000
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I do like to have four buttons on the front, so I can place my thumb in the middle between them and reach all four buttons in an instant without the chance of pushing the wrong button, what can happen with all 6 buttons on the front.

But nevertheless, the shoulder buttons are not as good to play with. They are okay for secondary actions, like menues or something like that, but not for quick playing. So in Street Fighter 2 I always put the light punch and light kick on the shoulder buttons, since I hardly ever use them.

Another disadvantage of the SNES pad is imho that it is to flat, it does not lie in your hand as good as the MD controllers.

In the end itīs a question of training. I guess SNES-players have a hard time with Sega controllers and MD players have a hard time with SNES pads.

i use the light hits a lot in turbo, they're as good as counters or parrys against some attacks-and i do put them on the shoulders as it just seems-natural..........

i agree with you last comment whole heartedly-i never used my megadrive for street fighter when i was younger so playing it now after so many years of SNES training on turbo throws up so much critisism-the games themselves (SCE/super) and the controllers.
turbo and the alphas(inc 3rd strike & CvsSNK) are what i know and love of street fighter games- i use my SNES for SF and megadrive for all else.................except the super star wars games............

Sod the Atari sticks-Master System Virtua Sticks all the way!! (could ypu imagine?)

Drixxel
08-30-2006, 02:05 PM

*cue deafening roar of joystick clickety-clicking as the world gives it a try*

Man, now that I think of it, I love the noises made by the Atari 2600 joysticks. The next classics collection better include faithful joystick sound support...!!

The Genesis 6-button pad, though.. that beauty is ideal for Street Fightin'. Street Fighter II on SNES marked my entry to console SFII, but even so, after playing SCE on Genesis with a 6-button pad, the difference in control was immediately clear. That being said, the SNES controller is infinitely preferred to a Genesis 3-button pad.

This same controller discussion has popped up before on the boards.. While I feel the Genesis six-button pad is perfectly suited for SFII, it's a molasses-soaked chimp with Mortal Kombat. Shoulder buttons may not be intuitive if attacks are mapped to them, but as blocking buttons, they're perfect. The SNES cross d-pad also makes for easier precise direction taps. So, yeah.. as far as 16 bit is concerned, SFII plays best on Genesis, Mortal Kombat plays best on SNES. Good news for those with dual console citizenship who value playability over brand loyalty!

16bitter
08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Good news for those with dual console citizenship who value playability over brand loyalty!

Wrong crowd.

j_factor
08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Mortal Kombat plays best on SNES.

That is akin to noting that Primal Rage plays best on Saturn.

In other words, it still sucks.

Joe Redifer
08-30-2006, 11:42 PM
True enough! I've never been a Mortal Kombat fan, and I'm not sure how it works with the Genesis 6 button, but I assume both Y and B block? I know the block button was in the middle in the arcade, kind of like an X configuration or something else just as retarded. It really sucks that Mortal Kombat, of all games, was one of the titles to attract so many players to the Genesis because it had the fatalities. Looking at the game made me want to vomit.

Mr Smith
08-31-2006, 05:34 AM
Mortal Kombat is a poor man's version of Street Fighter 2, but name me a fighting game that isn't. I find the six button controller makes high punches much easier and gives a much better access to the fatalities.

Zebbe
08-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Yu Yu Hakusho and Virtua Fighter aren't poor man's versions of Street Fighter 2.

Mr Smith
08-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Virtua Fighter? Really? I always found that game too slow and the moves were too complicated. I'll take your word on Yu Yu Hakusho as I don't own any Japanese games.

Zebbe
08-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Virtua Fighter is 3D, slow, tactical and more realistic than Street Fighter 2, which is 2D, fast and less realistic when it comes to moves and overall gameplay. Therefor I wouldn't call Virtua Fighter a poor man's version of Street Fighter 2 - it was very innovative and different from other fighting games when it came in 1993.

ary incorparated
08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
I just bought a pc engine,the portable one with street fighter im pretty much enjoying that one.

ary incorparated
08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
I have Yu Yu hakusho still have to figure out the specials, I still don’t know if their that great?. I’ve played this game a few times and saw a few specials they looked okay but where very short, I don’t know the backgrounds are very empty and don’t have that many colours. I like to see 20 or 30 Hit specials in the game or a little more graphical detail liked the game but now its not that fun anymore street fighter above it

Sega Saturn x
08-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Despite the fact bison is all but impossible in it I'll go with CE over super any day of the week. Mainly because all the new characters from super pretty much just blew. But CE gave you all the awesome bosses, super gave you cammy and TJ pass. Plus the super special didn't really evolve until alpha so I'm stick with CE.

Mr Smith
09-01-2006, 05:22 AM
Virtua Fighter is 3D, slow, tactical and more realistic than Street Fighter 2, which is 2D, fast and less realistic when it comes to moves and overall gameplay. Therefor I wouldn't call Virtua Fighter a poor man's version of Street Fighter 2 - it was very innovative and different from other fighting games when it came in 1993.

Realism doesn't mean a game is good though. For a long while game have been trying to be more real and often at the expense of enjoyable gameplay. Perhaps Virtua Fighter 2 isn't a poor man's version of Street Fighter 2, but it certainly isn't better.

Zebbe
09-01-2006, 06:08 AM
I agree with most of your opinions, but I think Virtua Fighter has realism without losing enjoyable gameplay, although it is not as intense as Street Fighter 2. I like both games.

ary incorparated
09-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Virua fighter hmm i love that game,virtua fighter 2 then,street fighter 2 hasnt got that many moves and somethimes youre stuck in the skill less,i hate the game pretty much on xbox 360 arcade,to say virtua fighter is better yes it has tons of more moves and isnt limited with hardly 10 moves a character.

16bitter
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
MKII is awesome (as long as it's not on a Sega machine...yeesh).

And SFII (III, Alpha) nukes VF.

Can you handle the truth?

Zebbe
09-01-2006, 11:24 AM
There is no truth when it comes to opinions. Just people who think they know better than others, like you 16bitter.

16bitter
09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
In other words, you're one of those people who can't handle the truth.

But it's good to know we're pen pals again.

There is no truth when it comes to opinions. Just people who think they know better than others, like you 16bitter.

And yet you think you know better than me on the issue above, right? As that's the center and whole of your thesis, the answer is inescapably yes.

Which actually does a great job of showing your hypocrisy on the issue of self-righteousness. All in two sentences. Brilliant job of describing yourself without even realizing it.

Just the fact that you thought it important enough to post that little explanation of "the way things are" at all warms my soul. Just. So. Serious. And unwittingly comedic.

I'm laughing. And making me happy is all that matters. So, give yourself a pat.

Zebbe
09-01-2006, 12:16 PM
The reason I said you think you know better than others is that you said your opinion is the truth. Which means you claim other opinions are false, i.e. worse than your opinion. I never claimed I know better than anyone. Because my statement doesn't say the opinion is "the truth".

16bitter
09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
The reason I said you think you know better than others is that you said your opinion is the truth. Which means you claim other opinions are false, i.e. worse than your opinion.

Really!?!?! Well gaaaawwwwwlllleeeeeee, I never did see it like that tell ya pointed it owt ta me.

Here's a little secret: your clueless and remedial response is the punchline to the joke. And you still don't get it.

:rofl:

I never claimed I know better than anyone.

Um, that was your entire point in responding to me -- as in, you knew better than me as to "how OPINION works".

Which was an avowal as to the truth of, therein, how my opinion was connectively "wrong". Leaving you, then, with two sentences that lead to nothing but self-defeat and laughability.

Because my statement doesn't say the opinion is "the truth".

So now you're denying that you were trying to share the "truth" about opinion? Uh, then what was your reply about?

Perhaps it would have been better as a blank -- and it looks as if you agree -- but it's unfortunately a little late for that, whether, like so much in this conversation, you understand the specific whys/wherefores or not.

Zebbe
09-01-2006, 01:24 PM
The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

16bitter
09-01-2006, 01:29 PM
And yet you only came to this conclusion after getting eviscarated in a debate which you saw fit to initiate. How appropriate. And transparent.

Drixxel
09-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Let us all be reminded of why we entered this thread originally:

Street Fighter II is fookin' awesome. Special Champion Edition for great justice..!!

The sound may be scratchy, the colours a bit lifeless, but she plays like a dream.

ary incorparated
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
okay lets get back on the discussion, Every thing that one man says is an opinion, like if 16bitter says street fighter is better,1000000 others can say no. Its not been stated that its better they aren’t even comparing because they both have there own style, Comparing a 2D game to one of the first 3d fighters isn’t fair, i think they both play great and VF doesn’t disappoint me at al, only part 3.Hmm I do like to play street fighter alpha 1 on Saturn it had arranged music or something as i remember Guitar stuff or so that was the difference i first noticed the psx version didn’t have but no big problem. Street fighter 3rd strike above any VF game there lies my truth.

ary incorparated
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
I dont like that youre level is so limited in VF you just have a stage/battle ground and that the only thing of the background that isnt pre rendered and actually makes it bit boring,i like to see more interaction with the background.

Joe Redifer
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Here again we see 16bitter go on with paragraphs attacking two sentences of someone else's post. Bravo!

16bitter is my Jesus. He knows best, and he knows all (obviously, I mean DUH!). It would be fun to read his responses just as long as they didn't get so long winded. I can't wait to discover the hypocrisy about myself which is revealed in this sentence I am typing now!

Zebbe, how dare you use logic and reason!

Melf
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Zebbe & 16bitter, please. Do I have to lock this thread?

What's so hard about keeping on topic? Opinions are opinions, and it's obvious that you two aren't going to see eye-to-eye.

Please, just agree to disagree and end it already.

Zebbe
09-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Melf: Sorry, it is ended.

Mr Smith
09-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Just out of curiousity what's Street Fighter 3 like? I had a quick look on ebay and couldn't seem to find it. I know it was never released on the Mega Drive I just wondered how it compared to SF2.

NAE1000
09-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Just out of curiousity what's Street Fighter 3 like? I had a quick look on ebay and couldn't seem to find it. I know it was never released on the Mega Drive I just wondered how it compared to SF2.

no, never released on megadrive.

there are two versions as far as i'm aware, SF:Round 3 and SF:Third Strike. both hit arcades but R3 only got a console release on the dreamcast i think-anyone with home versions of third strike are playing it on the xbox anniversary collection.

It's a good game too, Alpha style, Alpha speed (so slower than Turbo but on par with SCE) and easily the most technical SF to date.

there are loads of new fighters, unfortunately omitting some of the previous cast (Zangief, replaced with the meagre Hugo!! Damn them!!)

but yeah......all in all a very enjoyable and deep fighter-with all the counters and parrys etc-more in depth than button combo games like tekken.

j_factor
09-02-2006, 04:01 PM
MKII is awesome (as long as it's not on a Sega machine...yeesh).

I take it you loved the Game Boy port. The monochrome, dot matrix fatalities were amazing. :D

j_factor
09-02-2006, 04:23 PM
no, never released on megadrive.

there are two versions as far as i'm aware, SF:Round 3 and SF:Third Strike. both hit arcades but R3 only got a console release on the dreamcast i think-anyone with home versions of third strike are playing it on the xbox anniversary collection.

There were three versions of SF3. The first was New Generation, released in arcades at the beginning of 1997, and never having a console port of its own. The second was appropriately titled Second Impact, which came out about a year and a half later. The third was Third Strike, which came out in 1999 and was, if I'm not mistaken, the final arcade game to be released on the CPS3 board. Street Fighter 3 made no console appearance until all the way in early 2000, when it finally appeared in the form of Double Impact for Dreamcast, which included both New Generation and Second Impact. A DC port of Third Strike was released approximately 7 months later, in late 2000.

Third Strike was later included in that Anniversary thing for PS2 and Xbox, but I think Double Impact on DC remains the only console existence of New Generation and/or Second Impact.

The DC versions are very well-done, except the DC controller sucks for Street Fighter. Maybe people who were used to SF2 on SNES might disagree with me there, but for normal SF players, the standard DC controller was shit. Fortunately, there are some good control alternatives for DC. The best is probably that thing that lets you use a Saturn controller, but I bought a 6-button DC pad and it works well enough.

To answer the original question, Street Fighter 3 is quite a different beast from its predecessors, and it's pretty damn awesome. There's no air counters anymore, and it adds a new parry system.

Oi_Oi_Spanky
09-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Street Fighter Alpha 2 for me, the most played I go at. Feels sooo fluid putting the combos together. Street Fighter 3 has the same feel so that can't be bad. I put a lot of time into Street Fighter, it's one of those fighting games when your opponent thrashing the pad serves them no good, it's all technique. I mean, you can put an adult on Tekken to practice for a day, introduce a novice 10-year old child & watch that day go out of the window.

Oi_Oi_Spanky
09-02-2006, 06:18 PM
You want awful play control in SF? Try using a stock DC or XB pad. It's hilarious it's so bad. Timing and execution are nonexistent.

Oh so true. This is why I have a Wildkatz DC pad with the six button lay out & one of them Xbox pad convertors that lets you plug a Saturn pad or the PS Namco arcade stick in instead.

Joe Redifer
09-02-2006, 07:15 PM
The DC versions are very well-done, except the DC controller sucks for Street Fighter.
That's why you need the Total Control 3. It plugs into the fancy Dreamcast, and you plug any Saturn controller into it (along with VMU). All 6 buttons are recognized as they should be. Believe it or not, fighting games on the Dreamcast are playable! You just need this setup.

ary incorparated
09-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Man please anniversary collection on Xbox, Xbox sucks more then Dreamcast overall and that’s a fact, Third strike idd rather play it on dreamcast i have no problem with the controller excepts that you’re thumbs get hurt after a while but im playing it with my saturn controller and works godly, I have to say the dreamcast version is the first and best conversion, those others are just to late ports streets fighter games worked on dreamcast i could handle the big controller without wining about thumb pain etc i can handle many controllers without making such a push about it. Back in 2000 there was no ps2 or xbox version so i got used to it and it worked great man Street fighter games on Dreamcast are easily the best/Best looking, Capcom snk that one played a bit stiff but hell i can control it,Capcom snk 2 superior to both xbox and ps2/cube version, Marvel vs capcom 2 Great on dreamcast waste on the others man that game was released in 2004 for the other console while dreamcast already had it in 2001.Who agrees that the dreamcast has the best streetfighter games released on a console

j_factor
09-03-2006, 01:02 AM
That's why you need the Total Control 3. It plugs into the fancy Dreamcast, and you plug any Saturn controller into it (along with VMU). All 6 buttons are recognized as they should be. Believe it or not, fighting games on the Dreamcast are playable! You just need this setup.

Fortunately, there are some good control alternatives for DC. The best is probably that thing that lets you use a Saturn controller

ahem.

Joe Redifer
09-03-2006, 06:49 AM
I actually described it, complete with product name. My post wins.

NAE1000
09-05-2006, 11:32 AM
i'm going to have to eat some humble here-i never knew there were speed options in the megadrive version of SUPER. just tried it out and i'm quite impressed. it does plays well (much closer to the standard of turbo even with a majesco pad!), audio's still shocking-but easily a much smoother game than SCE.

turbo still rules-but for the megadrive it has to be SUPER!!

Zebbe
09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Don't forget that the Mega Drive version has five speeds while the SNES version only has four. And by the way, looking at both processors, shouldn't it be obvious that the Mega Drive version has speeds if the SNES version does?

NAE1000
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Don't forget that the Mega Drive version has five speeds while the SNES version only has four. And by the way, looking at both processors, shouldn't it be obvious that the Mega Drive version has speeds if the SNES version does?

well, no and no.

turbo and super are different versions of the game-SCE has accellerated speed also but runs like a lepper. besides, of all the cross platform offerings from the times-it's fair to say street fighter was the most difficult to achieve. so, obivious? no-not really

also super increases to four stars. turbo with a code entered on the title screen goes up to ten stars. the highest speeds are comparable but turbo's still a little quicker

Zebbe
09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I can only agree to disagree. I see only three stars in the SNES version of SSF2 and ten stars of Turbo is slower than ten stars of SCE.

RedAngel
09-06-2006, 02:46 AM
I prefer Street Fighter II: SCE because of the music with samples, it made the game more like the arcade. I have always thought that both versions were direct port from SNES and not from arcade: low resolution, bad use of colours... It looks like Capcom didnīt work a lot on the Genesis version. Also, with 24 megabits and 40 megabits you should have a decent sound.

Mr Smith
09-06-2006, 06:03 AM
The problem is the Mega Drive will never have the sound capacities the SNES does becuase it has an inferior sound chip. I agree the vocals were worse in Super, however, they compensated with some very smooth and sexy game play. After souly playing Super for a long while going back to CE is like playing wearing boxing gloves.

NAE1000
09-06-2006, 06:34 AM
I can only agree to disagree. I see only three stars in the SNES version of SSF2 and ten stars of Turbo is slower than ten stars of SCE.

i was refering to super on the megadrive :|

turbo is no way slower than SCE-plus it doesn't jar and slowdown like SCE does

RedAngel
09-06-2006, 06:51 AM
SNES used compressed samples that save a lot of memory and keep some quality (but far from CD quality) while in Mega Drive samples were uncompressed and were downsample to save cartridge memory. Still, with some code optimizations here and there, there were enough room to have decent samples. In other areas I prefer the Mega Drive sound chip.

108 Stars
09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
i was refering to super on the megadrive

turbo is no way slower than SCE-plus it doesn't jar and slowdown like SCE does

Your copy of SCE only has slowdowns because itīs so sensitive. It knows you donīt like it!:D

TidalTempest
09-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Super seemed too rushed to me. Extremely dodgy audio, particularly in the speech department. The gameplay is pretty top notch though. Can't say I was a big fan of the new fighters. Mind you I haven't played Super since 1997, so my memory might be a bit dodgy. I'm still trying to hunt down a copy of Super regardless.

SCE seems like a better game to me. Sure the audio is weak, but it's not as bad as Super. The graphics look washed out, but the all important gameplay is there, which is what matters.

ary incorparated
01-01-2007, 08:06 PM
SNES used compressed samples that save a lot of memory and keep some quality (but far from CD quality) while in Mega Drive samples were uncompressed and were downsample to save cartridge memory. Still, with some code optimizations here and there, there were enough room to have decent samples. In other areas I prefer the Mega Drive sound chip.

oohh hell yeah i just played maximum carnage on snes to hear something different then all the symphonic crap it sounded pretty good but it lacked so much speed that it had a gargling kind of guitar sound very ugly, maybe the slowness of snes??.if the samples where a bit more speed up then it could surpass the megadrive its sound in many ways but genesis its sound is ways more natural and you can hear what is going on with no deforming or deep gargling kind of shit the snes has. some snes games sound godly and genesis cant reach that whiles genesis as it pure with no bull or effects to pull of immense stuns that end up sounding crap.

Sega Genesis
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Special Championship Edition is my pick of the two. It's Street Fighter II in its prime.

Lets see...four new characters with endings. Also, the four bossmen only all had one generic ending on CE, in Super they all had unique endings.

I think Guile's sonic boom in CE is to big slow and clunky.

Chun-Li's projectile in CE is too powerful.

The AI seems smater in Super

The characters in CE seem bigger which is good but also harder to control.
I know they are smaller in Super because the Genesis bacically got the SNES
port.