PDA

View Full Version : Mega Q*bert (full game)

Jaklub
06-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Almost 6 years ago I made a prototype of a Mega Drive version of Q*bert, but dropped it due to problems with the code structure. I decided to rewrite the game from scratch this year and now it's done.

Mega Q*bert is a new game for Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis. Featured are 2 different game modes. Mega mode contains 80 levels to beat, often filled with new irregular blocks that make things harder and more complex enemies, while Arcade mode is a recreation of original arcade game (based on the NES iteration, to be more exact). Both modes offer simultaneous cooperative gameplay.

Although I lack the equipment to test the game on the real console, it has been reported that aside from minor visual noise in select instances the game runs correctly on actual hardware and the gameplay itself is completely clean.

Download:
1.2 (https://mega.nz/#!kUp0lbgA!cVFG3V9CbfBVST_Rce2ARVvb-sk3at3Bs3Z2JDMC_Ek)
1.2 (PAL-friendly) (https://mega.nz/#!pEZEjYZb!11LDKQ3YYcwx4RCRHhxHUuVuhrZFXmLYWtEGsC-CdS4)

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68gWUd0VvPg

Report any bugs you may find, I'll try to fix them. Thanks for reading.

ComradeOj
06-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Nice job!

I really like the backgrounds, and the game has feels really polished and complete. Too bad I suck at Q*bert!

Pyron
06-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Thank you for share this, i really enjoy your job, very well done with nice presentation!

SEGA.GENESIS1989
06-08-2016, 11:57 PM
This is fantastic news! Q*bert was one of my favourite games to play on the Atari 2600! You did a great job with the visuals and presentation! Best of all, I can set up the control scheme for the D-Pad! Thanks for porting the game to the SEGA Genesis Jaklub! :D

Prince Talmit
06-09-2016, 12:30 AM
This is quite a surprise! Thank you very much for your work here. I'm a big Q*Bert fan. Unfortunately I don't have an SD or flash cart.. so this might have to wait until someone does a cart for this...
Come to think of it, I wonder if you could work with Serega to get this fully produced and earn some money form it.

Bloodreign
06-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Sweet, a new version of Q*bert to play. Never was really good at this game, but I still liked playing it in the arcade, on NES, or the GBC version (which I own for this and NES).

Jaklub
06-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting. Quick update (1.1) uploaded, includes an important bugfix, a couple of level design tweaks and some additional alterations for PAL version. If any important bugs are found in this one, I'll try to fix them ASAP.

This is quite a surprise! Thank you very much for your work here. I'm a big Q*Bert fan. Unfortunately I don't have an SD or flash cart.. so this might have to wait until someone does a cart for this...
Come to think of it, I wonder if you could work with Serega to get this fully produced and earn some money form it.
Right now the game is stuck with original Q*bert characters and I haven't yet decided if I will eventually do any changes to that. I don't want to earn money from it in it's current form.

dr apocalipsis
06-11-2016, 09:57 PM
Game looks and feels awesome. Like a professional release, pretty well finished and rounded.

If you are going to keep doing versions, one with bigger sprites, more like early megadrive games, would be sweet.

nemesis enforcer
06-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Awesome, if you ever decide on making a physical release, I'm buying. :D

cabear
06-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Great job, it feels like a release title!

i completely suck at Qbert, but it's cool to have such a fine port.

Helder
06-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Awesome Job! it looks bad ass. I can Help you if you want to sell them in cart form someday.

chilled
06-12-2016, 08:07 PM
+1 also here. The only criticism I can think of is why, just why, someone who spends hours or months of homebrew console development doesn´t even own a spare one (with an everdrive at least), hehe.
thanks!

Mekanaizer
06-12-2016, 10:51 PM
chilled, The EverDrive isn't the best test platform to test homebrew. It works 99% with 1% been a very big thing if you are to test a commercial project.
This for the current EverDrive because the old ones are not good at all to test homebrew projects. Maybe he wants the best hardware to test his stuff and not a EverDrive.

Jaklub
06-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Thanks for posting.

If you are going to keep doing versions, one with bigger sprites, more like early megadrive games, would be sweet.
Right now I'm not planning to make any updates beyond bugfixes, but this isn't certain and might change in future. I don't have any specific plans right now.

+1 also here. The only criticism I can think of is why, just why, someone who spends hours or months of homebrew console development doesn´t even own a spare one (with an everdrive at least), hehe.
thanks!
I just haven't purchased a flashcart; not very experienced with buying things internationally.

cleeg
06-15-2016, 06:02 AM
I have never ever played this game, I'm looking forward to trying this out! Also, I like how the control type can be changed; I really wish someone would alter the control scheme for Snake, Rattle And Roll in this fashion, I find it unplayable on the MD as it is now.

theelf
07-22-2016, 05:53 PM
WOW Jaklub, thanks a lot, this is one of my favorite games

Im totally surprise about the quality, every detail is perfectly made, i can see a lot of love in the game and code

Incredible work, thanks

Barone
07-24-2016, 09:36 PM
I just wanted to reinforce what others already said: fantastic work here, feels like an official commercial release, very polished.
Thank you so much for your efforts and for sharing it with the community. The Mega Drive library lacks games like this, so it's a huge addition IMO.

Just played it on real hardware for about 2 hours, no bugs found.

Jaklub
08-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks for replying. I'm glad to hear there are no issues with the game running on actual hardware.

Scorpion Illuminati
08-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Game works fine on my end, you can see what development hardware I'm using on my project's website.

Signed,

Scorpion Illuminati

IrishNinja
08-11-2016, 06:24 AM
can't wait to give this a go, looks fantastic - thanks OP!

Jaklub
12-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Version 1.2 is up. Most important changes are a bunch of fixes related to reported noise issues (should be fine during the gameplay on real machines now) and increased difficulty of Arcade mode (was too easy to play infinitely even with the second loop).

1.2:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42115509/megaqbert/Mega%20Qbert.bin
1.2 PAL:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42115509/megaqbert/Mega%20Qbert%20PAL.bin

bagmahnutz
12-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Incredible! This looks really professional, I love it!

smokemonster
12-31-2016, 04:23 PM
This is a real feat of skilled coding. Congrats on making a new game that looks and sounds better than a good chunk of official releases.

foxnoodles
04-16-2017, 09:30 AM
is it me or the download link is dead? can anyone re-upload the 1.2 version? thanks

Jaklub
04-16-2017, 08:10 PM
OP updated with new links. Thanks for replying.

foxnoodles
04-16-2017, 08:16 PM
^Thanks mate

patmanqc
02-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Excellent work thumbs up

Metal64
08-28-2020, 12:59 AM
pretty cool