PDA

View Full Version : Tanglewood Tech Demo 0.0.11

Barone
08-24-2016, 03:31 AM
Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce the very first tech demo release!

The demo represents the first milestone in Tanglwood's development. It is a proof of the engine, editor, toolchain and content pipeline, the basic mechanics of the game, controls and platforming behaviour, the art and animation styles, and some early puzzles.

These two levels have been a sandbox for mechanics and puzzle testing since development of the game began, and with a little work they've been turned into functional showcases for Tanglewood's early progress.

Disclaimer

This is a prototype of a game in its very early stages of development. Some assets are placeholder, and all tech is a work in progress. The look, feel, quality and feature set may not be representative of the final product.

Features

The tech demo contains tests of the following features:

- Nymn: basic movement and platforming, sleep/wake up behaviour, running, walking, jumping, pushing (animation missing), rolling, gliding, death
- Fuzzls: all alert states, physics, and rolling behaviour
- Djakk monsters: initial encounter logic, A.I. behaviour tree, tracking, attacking, search patterns
- Colour abilities: yellow (glide) and green (time slow/cloak)
- Flues: varying output velocities and hold durations, multiple occupants, linked flues
- Boulders: physics, rolling behaviour, cracking and respawning
- Director Cam cutscenes
- Time of day system
- Static blockades

Known issues

It's an early tech demo/prototype, so expect to see these problems and more:

- Missing fall animation
- Missing push animation
- Framerate drop during Djakk monster encounter in Level 1
- It's possible to get Fuzzls stuck against walls if they're rolling fast enough to jump over flues
- It's possible to get the Fuzzls in Level 2 stuck by rolling them back to the flue at the start
- The Djakk in Level 2 can reach the flue on the right-hand side if left alone in search state for a long time
- It's possible to get Nymn to sleep in mid-air by jumping at the end of a level
- It's possible to push the boulder in Level 2 whilst using time-slow ability (boulder won't animate)
- Footstep sound effects take priority over others, which may result in some SFX cutting out whilst running (ambience, Fuzzl SFX)
- Many known sprite/background draw priority glitches, and tile flipping errors
- Dead Djakks use the older placeholder palette (yellow feet/teeth)
- Occasionally the wrong instruments are chosen for an SFX (emulator only)
- Double-tapping C with the cloak ability will choose the wrong palette

How to Play

For the very best experience we recommend playing on genuine SEGA Mega Drive / Genesis hardware, using a flash cart (Everdrive, Krikzz). The ROM is multi-region, and has been tested with European (PAL) and Japanese (NTSC-J) consoles.

For emulator users, the ROM is compatible with most major releases. For Windows users we recommend Regen (http://segaretro.org/Regen) and a compatible gamepad.

Download ROM

Tanglewood Tech Demo 0.0.11: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ssirrd735adaj3x/TANGLEWD.BIN

Please tell us your thoughts!

We'd love to know about your experience, and we're all ears for constructive feedback!

Thank you for playing,
Matt
Original thread: http://www.tanglewoodgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11

Tanglewood at Gamescom 2016 (pictures by retrospiel (https://www.facebook.com/retrospiel/)):

http://i.imgur.com/KAVmPx2.jpg

http://www.tanglewoodgame.com/forum/download/file.php?id=52

bgvanbur
08-24-2016, 05:08 PM
The other day I was checking out one of his articles on the PSG and saw the banner for Tanglewood, Absolutely awesome demo :)

That PSG article by the way:
https://bigevilcorporation.co.uk/2012/09/03/sega-megadrive-10-sound-part-i-the-psg-chip/

BigEvilCorporation
08-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much for posting this :)

OmegaMax
09-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Were no males interested in playing this?not a good sign.

Flygon
09-15-2016, 12:30 AM
I'm an interested male!

retrospiel
09-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Were no males interested in playing this?not a good sign.

I'd say we had a ratio of 60:40 for our booth on average. On some days that ratio was even higher. So there were indeed more females playing than males. That did not apply just to Tanglewood alone but the entirety of our booth. I do not quite understand why this would be a bad sign?

bagmahnutz
09-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I do not quite understand why this would be a bad sign?Because it's an obvious lie. There were no females there. That's just bad photoshop. You're trying to sell us your bad game using women. Because you know most people on here are men. And you also happen to know that most men like women. Ergo = aliens.

J/k nice game, keep it up! :p

Barone
09-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Because it's an obvious lie. There were no females there. That's just bad photoshop. You're trying to sell us your bad game using women.
Damn, I thought no one had seen him giving me the money under the table to pay for this thread... :(

foxnoodles
09-15-2016, 03:22 PM
retrospiel
Do you have the cover art ready? :yum:

retrospiel
09-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Just to clarify: I merely presented the game to the public. It's not set in stone as to who will publish/distribute it. I certainly would love to help but it is up to Matt. That said, we did talk about it... :)

foxnoodles
09-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Just to clarify: I merely presented the game to the public. It's not set in stone as to who will publish/distribute it. I certainly would love to help but it is up to Matt. That said, we did talk about it... :)

https://www.behance.net/enginair this I why I asked. Lemme know if u need any help with your project. I love to do the packaging design for MD/GEN games. I can't reach Mat

BigEvilCorporation
09-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Update: Here's a playthrough video of a newer build (Tech Demo 0.0.13):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAo0sBFFHXg

Changes since 0.0.11:

- New tree branch tileset, with glowing green moss to help visibility at night
- Improved background colour palette (less contrast with foreground)
- New raised platforms with cliff edges (replaces blocking poles)
- New layout of intro scene
- New firefly pickup sprites
- Hidden firefly areas (most require glide ability)
- WIP Nymn fall animation
- Increased player acceleration and top velocity
- Increased player run anim speed
- Covered flues with solid terrain (to avoid Djakk monsters falling down them), and introduced concept of terrain "holes" (to let Fuzzls fall through, and player through only when jumping down)
- Removed signposts from Gamescom demo (tile count too high, will reimplement)
- Fixed screen faders, increased fade speed of ident logos/disclaimers
- Big performance pass (no more slowdown around many fireflies on real hardware)

WRT publishing: I haven't settled on anything final yet. I'm trying to secure funding to finish development professionally first - it'll be a complete feature length game with many different settings, a whole array of different enemies, boss fights, a custom written soundtrack, and more. Once it's nearing completion I'll be putting some serious research into publishing. I would like the finished product to be as close to an original Genesis game as possible, everything from the development hardware and processes to the cart, box and manual.

https://www.behance.net/enginair this I why I asked. Lemme know if u need any help with your project. I love to do the packaging design for MD/GEN games. I can't reach Mat

Hey there! Your artwork looks amazing. Feel free to drop me an email: matt [at] tanglewoodgame [dot] com

Barone
09-22-2016, 03:41 AM
It's looking more and more beautiful. There's something very elusive about the art of this game; I can't point exactly what it is but it looks great.

I've moved to a new place and I couldn't test it on real hardware yet, sorry.

BigEvilCorporation
09-22-2016, 04:54 AM
I've moved to a new place and I couldn't test it on real hardware yet, sorry.

Probably best holding off until I've released this newer build anyway :)

cleeg
09-22-2016, 06:29 PM
This looks beautiful, I'd love to play a finished game. I'm not sure why, but it reminds me of Ecco. I hope you get it finished. Very nice indeed.

Zebbe
09-23-2016, 08:05 AM
This looks so promising! It reminds me of Ecco (and Kolibri) as well, being an animal in a beautiful environment. Good luck with the development!

Hik
09-23-2016, 08:13 PM
I've been following your progress for a while. I really like how you detail it step by step on your blog.
Assembly takes a bit to get into ,so it really helps to have what you've posted.

About the game itself;
Tanglewood reminds me of the first Mega Drive game I got - the Lion King. I can tell from the demo
that this game has a lot of potential. I liked the rolling boulders and the changing color of the scenery
and the character. The falling leaves are also a nice touch. It would be nice to see some waterfalls and
bodies of water on which the Fuzzls things could float ,along with a swimming or diving transformation.

BigEvilCorporation
09-24-2016, 01:47 PM
I've been following your progress for a while. I really like how you detail it step by step on your blog.
Assembly takes a bit to get into ,so it really helps to have what you've posted.

About the game itself;
Tanglewood reminds me of the first Mega Drive game I got - the Lion King. I can tell from the demo
that this game has a lot of potential. I liked the rolling boulders and the changing color of the scenery
and the character. The falling leaves are also a nice touch. It would be nice to see some waterfalls and
bodies of water on which the Fuzzls things could float ,along with a swimming or diving transformation.

Cheers! I've heard the Lion King comparison a few times, which is excellent!

I need to free up some VRAM to fit in water animation, it gets referred to as quick sand at the moment. Having the Fuzzls float is a nice idea! Waterfalls with streams to send them down would make for some great puzzle elements. I guess Sonic's Labyrinth Zone would be a good point of reference, lots of sliding down water streams.

chessage
09-26-2016, 02:59 AM
dWFYZSn3BRk

BigEvilCorporation
09-26-2016, 12:54 PM

That's a VERY pretty looking game! I'll definitely add that to my research list. I hope it's not rare.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
09-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Nah! It`s not rare! If you`re patient, you should be able to get it for a decent price.

Your game shares alot of similarities to Pocahontas! Movement in both games seems quite organic. I particularly like the way that you have animated the fuzzls ... projecting a soft floaty movement as the Nymn rolls it across the ground and tree limbs. The leaves, boulders, and fireflies are but another example of this.

If there is one suggestion I could offer, it would be to apply this organic movement to the Djakk. At the moment, I find his animation a little stiff. The speed in which he moves does not match the speed one would expect a animals body to move. Specifically, the Djakk continues to trodd along although he is gaining speed. I would expect him to gallop like a horse instead.

Having said that, the little touches you have made to game are a welcome addition. The moss adds a bit of much needed visual eye candy to the barren wasteland. Keep up the good work!

BigEvilCorporation
09-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Nah! It`s not rare! If you`re patient, you should be able to get it for a decent price.

Your game shares alot of similarities to Pocahontas! Movement in both games seems quite organic. I particularly like the way that you have animated the fuzzls ... projecting a soft floaty movement as the Nymn rolls it across the ground and tree limbs. The leaves, boulders, and fireflies are but another example of this.

If there is one suggestion I could offer, it would be to apply this organic movement to the Djakk. At the moment, I find his animation a little stiff. The speed in which he moves does not match the speed one would expect a animals body to move. Specifically, the Djakk continues to trodd along although he is gaining speed. I would expect him to gallop like a horse instead.

Having said that, the little touches you have made to game are a welcome addition. The moss adds a bit of much needed visual eye candy to the barren wasteland. Keep up the good work!

The light and floaty feel of the Fuzzls is because they put up no resistance to uphill slopes (or gain speed for downhill ones, for that matter), for better or worse. Most of the physics is super cheap - FindFloor/FindWall routines, acceleration, velocity, restitution, in-air and on-ground drag. There's no angle info in the collision data for slopes yet. When I extend the physics capabilities I'll keep this in mind, maybe the Fuzzl behaviour should remain as it is.

The Djakk is pretty big, which makes him difficult to animate, I just need the right artist to tackle some new animations (currently without an artist until I can find funding). I'd like him to run a bit like the monster in Another World, right at the start - so yeah, a gallop style. I also want him to jump over large gaps for chase scenes, and maybe some sniffing around on the floor to track the player. He's not the only enemy I have planned, need to manage the workload.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
09-29-2016, 02:38 PM
The light and floaty feel of the Fuzzls is because they put up no resistance to uphill slopes (or gain speed for downhill ones, for that matter), for better or worse. Most of the physics is super cheap - FindFloor/FindWall routines, acceleration, velocity, restitution, in-air and on-ground drag. There's no angle info in the collision data for slopes yet. When I extend the physics capabilities I'll keep this in mind, maybe the Fuzzl behaviour should remain as it is.

The Djakk is pretty big, which makes him difficult to animate, I just need the right artist to tackle some new animations (currently without an artist until I can find funding). I'd like him to run a bit like the monster in Another World, right at the start - so yeah, a gallop style. I also want him to jump over large gaps for chase scenes, and maybe some sniffing around on the floor to track the player. He's not the only enemy I have planned, need to manage the workload.

Hi Matt,
Thanks for taking the time to interact with the SEGA-16 community. Overall I think you've done a great job in terms of the animations and overall design. Since following the project from it's inception, it is interesting to see how you are slowly building on what you have created thus far.

With respect to the design of the Djakk, I believe there is still some room for improvement. The Djakk appears to resemble a lizard like creature. With that in mind, I believe that the creature would look alot more finished if the creature possessed a tail. Also, the creature would look alot more menacing if his mouth appeared more fuller. Taking a quick snapshot of the video, I decided to have a bit of fun and redesign the creature (using some very rudimentary tools) to give you a better idea of what I am talking about:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/Djakk_zps2m459awu.jpg

In the above image, I've extended the snout of the animal, added a few more teeth to the upper mouth, and filled out the jawline by creating an outline of the right side of the mouth. The jawline now matches the perceived overall size and power of the creature. I also added a tail that adds to it's immensity. I quickly make the above amendments to simply give you some additional ideas with respect to the overall design of the protagonist.

There is one last thing that I think should be mentioned with respect to the sound effects: When the Nymn drops the boulder onto the Djakk, the player should hear 2 important sound effects: The "thud" of the boulder landing on the creature and the animal making a loud grunt in pain.

BigEvilCorporation
09-30-2016, 09:24 AM

Cheers for the feedback!

I'm hoping to have a variation of Djakks (one per encounter), that design would be great for one of them. One of the encounters is a level-long chase scene, the tail is almost raptor-like which would be interesting. One of the designs is a Djakk with a saddle, and reigns that you can ride (think Elum from Abe's Oddysee) if you have the right colour power to tame it.

For the current demo I couldn't spare the VRAM space to extend the tail, nor the time to make large scale adjustments in the run up to the Kickstarter, but I'll certainly take the suggestions on board for future development. The Djakk is just one of many monsters in Tanglewood, there will be a whole range of threats in the full game.

The SFX are temporary, I'm aware the Djakk needs a death sound. The boulder impact sound is a bit feeble, too. I might add some screen shake to make it obvious that the boulder has hit something off screen.

BigEvilCorporation
10-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Hey there!

I've released Tech Demo 0.0.14: http://www.tanglewoodgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16

Changes since 0.0.12:

- Level 1 Act 3 first draft (Djakk chase)
- Checkpoints!
- New tree branch tileset, with glowing green moss to help visibility at night
- Improved background colour palette (less contrast with foreground)
- New raised platforms with cliff edges (replaces blocking poles)
- New layout of intro scene
- New firefly pickup sprites
- Hidden firefly areas (most require glide ability)
- WIP Nymn fall animation
- Increased player acceleration and top velocity
- Increased player run anim speed
- Covered flues with solid terrain (to avoid Djakk monsters falling down them), and introduced concept of terrain "holes" (to let Fuzzls fall through, and player through only when jumping down)
- Removed some signposts from Gamescom demo (tile count too high, will reimplement)
- Pause screen with firefly count
- Improved Djakk A.I., tweaked player lost time, changes to behaviour tree for L1A3
- Fixed Djakk bite killing player even if escaped
- Fixed Djakk walk speed in search state
- Fixed palette copy error when spamming Time Slow ability
- Fixed Time Slow ability getting stuck on if using a yellow Fuzzl
- Fixed player falling through water in L1A2
- Fixed disappearing green Fuzzl in L1A2
- Fixed screen faders, increased fade speed of ident logos/disclaimers
- Big performance pass (no more slowdown around many fireflies on real hardware)

See the Djakk Chase in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEXtVvwVO-8

Cheers :)

Bramsworth
10-12-2016, 10:57 PM
The game will have music in the future, right? Would really help with atmosphere.

My only other criticism is that there will need to be more graphics to liven up the screen as the game is further developed. It feels a little empty as it is. Although if it's going for the simplistic look then forget what I'm saying.

cleeg
10-13-2016, 12:16 AM
I like how the fox walks slowly on two legs and drops to all fours when running. This looks really good, I really hope you get it finished.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
10-13-2016, 01:53 AM
The game will have music in the future, right? Would really help with atmosphere.

My only other criticism is that there will need to be more graphics to liven up the screen as the game is further developed. It feels a little empty as it is. Although if it's going for the simplistic look then forget what I'm saying.

I think he will be adding/improving sound effects, music, graphics and sprites.

I have a question regarding items such as the boulders and Fuzzls.

If the player mistakenly tosses the boulder off a cliff without hitting the Djakk, what are the ramifications for the player? Will the boulder reappear in the initial location so that the player can try again? Or will the stage automatically reset?

What if the player pushes the fuzzl and it falls from tree branch onto the ground? Will there be an area on the ground in which the nymph can roll it into a hole so that it can be shot back into the branch again? Or will the stage simply reset?

BigEvilCorporation
10-13-2016, 06:29 AM

It's mostly a quiet game (think Flashback, Another World, Limbo) but each level will start with a 30 second music cue to set the scene, along with cues when something interesting happens (time of day change, new monster reveal) and high intensity music when monsters are in their chase state. There will be more ambient SFX too, currently there's just one chirp than happens every 20 seconds or so, I need more.

There will be more graphics to fill in the gaps eventually, I need to do some tile count optimisation first though (using all 1200!). I was thinking about having something happening in the background, maybe squirrels climbing trees now and again, or another character being chased by a small silhouetted Djakk (think Abe's Oddysee with the Sligs harassing other Modokuns in the background). Watch this space.

I like how the fox walks slowly on two legs and drops to all fours when running. This looks really good, I really hope you get it finished.

Thank you! That took a while to perfect. It was my first attempt at splitting character state from animation state, there's a lot of code behind something that looks so simple on the outside. I think attention to detail is important with this type of game, though.

I have a question regarding items such as the boulders and Fuzzls.

If the player mistakenly tosses the boulder off a cliff without hitting the Djakk, what are the ramifications for the player? Will the boulder reappear in the initial location so that the player can try again? Or will the stage automatically reset?

What if the player pushes the fuzzl and it falls from tree branch onto the ground? Will there be an area on the ground in which the nymph can roll it into a hole so that it can be shot back into the branch again? Or will the stage simply reset?

The boulders crack if they hit the floor without hitting a monster, then they'll respawn if both the current pos and the spawn pos are off screen. Eventually it'll be woven into the lore with some sort of hole in a tree serving as a boulder delivery mechanism, so it doesn't look cheap.

The Fuzzls are another matter, I need to add some sort of failsafe for them. Currently the flues and nests are placed in such a way that they're "boxed in" to controlled areas. With careful level design they can't leave, but problems do happen (you can get one up to speed by running at it and pounding the C button, and it will fly over a flue and back itself into a corner). I'll think of something.

In the first two acts there are flues for the Fuzzls, they're missing from the third (and I fully expect the Djakk to eat the player if they mess up anyway!).

Barone
10-13-2016, 08:13 AM
I think it would be cool to have some transition frames when it's free falling. And, then, something like The Lion King has, which when you fall from great heights you roll when you hit the floor; something like that, to show the character has felt the impact.

About the tile limit, can't you replace some of those tiles on-the-fly? I mean, if you don't have abrupt changes of tiles sets from one screen to another it should be possible to replace some of them without affecting the games performance.
IDK if you're storing them heavily compressed into the ROM and that could make it more difficult to do what I'm saying. But maybe you could have at least a sub-set of the tiles you intent to use for a whole level uncompressed in the ROM and replace that sub-set (or part of it) in the VRAM when needed.

BigEvilCorporation
10-13-2016, 08:25 AM
I think it would be cool to have some transition frames when it's free falling. And, then, something like The Lion King has, which when you fall from great heights you roll when you hit the floor; something like that, to show the character has felt the impact.

About the tile limit, can't you replace some of those tiles on-the-fly? I mean, if you don't have abrupt changes of tiles sets from one screen to another it should be possible to replace some of them without affecting the games performance.
IDK if you're storing them heavily compressed into the ROM and that could make it more difficult to do what I'm saying. But maybe you could have at least a sub-set of the tiles you intent to use for a whole level uncompressed in the ROM and replace that sub-set (or part of it) in the VRAM when needed.

Yes there's plenty of scope for this. All of the animation is uploaded to VRAM on frame changes only, I could certainly figure something out for scenery, too. I've always been fond of Sonic 3's first level, lots of changes as you run through.

Barone
10-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I just saw that you had created this thread: http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2122; which is related to the subject.

I know that Joe & Mac also does that (not as mentally ill as Sonic 3D Blast though) (and it only scrolls forward, you can't backtrack). Samurai Showdown and Final Blow both render their judges with tiles, so they also do that to some extent.

BigEvilCorporation
10-13-2016, 06:26 PM
I've updated the ROM to address sprites disappearing after prolonged play: http://www.tanglewoodgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16&p=23#p23

I wouldn't usually patch a tech demo release but it's quite a big'un.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
10-19-2016, 01:44 AM
It's mostly a quiet game (think Flashback, Another World, Limbo) but each level will start with a 30 second music cue to set the scene, along with cues when something interesting happens (time of day change, new monster reveal) and high intensity music when monsters are in their chase state. There will be more ambient SFX too, currently there's just one chirp than happens every 20 seconds or so, I need more.

There will be more graphics to fill in the gaps eventually, I need to do some tile count optimisation first though (using all 1200!). I was thinking about having something happening in the background, maybe squirrels climbing trees now and again, or another character being chased by a small silhouetted Djakk (think Abe's Oddysee with the Sligs harassing other Modokuns in the background). Watch this space.

Thank you! That took a while to perfect. It was my first attempt at splitting character state from animation state, there's a lot of code behind something that looks so simple on the outside. I think attention to detail is important with this type of game, though.

The boulders crack if they hit the floor without hitting a monster, then they'll respawn if both the current pos and the spawn pos are off screen. Eventually it'll be woven into the lore with some sort of hole in a tree serving as a boulder delivery mechanism, so it doesn't look cheap.

The Fuzzls are another matter, I need to add some sort of failsafe for them. Currently the flues and nests are placed in such a way that they're "boxed in" to controlled areas. With careful level design they can't leave, but problems do happen (you can get one up to speed by running at it and pounding the C button, and it will fly over a flue and back itself into a corner). I'll think of something.

In the first two acts there are flues for the Fuzzls, they're missing from the third (and I fully expect the Djakk to eat the player if they mess up anyway!).

That`s responding to my enquiry. With respect to the bolded text above, I am really glad to hear that you are considering adding more graphics to the stage. I actually kept silent about the matter as this project is a work in progress and everything is being done in stages. With the possibility of added graphics, may we surmise that we may see obstacles placed in and around the stage (i.e. trees, canopy or at ground level)? Doing so would add a new challenge to the player as he or she moves the fuzzl from one area to the other. For example, spikes popping from the ground sporadically. reading your comment with respect to the background, you could have a hidden animal taking a swipe at the protagonist as he or she makes his way across the branch as a concept you may consider implementing.

It`s really nice to see that you are willing to take constructive criticism and feedback. In doing so, I expect that this title will surpass our expectations.

BigEvilCorporation
10-22-2016, 06:58 PM
I certainly need more environmental hazards, they would help puzzle design if anything. The spikes in Limbo work well, but the death is a bit gruesome; not sure how much gore I'll be putting into it yet.

Blockades are a given - there will be twisted vines that the player can't pass unless you match the colour (find Fuzzl of the right colour, change, then the vines will untwist when you get close). There's large bodies of water on the way (player can't swim) which also act as a death hazard to Djakks if you can coax them into it. I've thought about snapping tree branches, too.

dr apocalipsis
10-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Animation is top notch. Better than average game and on par with some of the better ones, congratulations. I also like a lot the atmosphere achieved. Some colors need a rework once the project is more advanced, though. It tends to be a bit harsh currently.

Also, could you make its eyes move down when it is pushing things? It's a bit distracting to see such a lively fox watching to the infinite when pushing an small object.

Rep!

madmax2069
10-24-2016, 07:34 AM
This looks quite amazing