PDA

View Full Version : Miniplanets

Sik
11-13-2016, 04:09 AM
If you downloaded it before January 26th and are planning to make cartridges out of the ROM make sure to download the newest binary (at least REV02), it fixes an important bug on real hardware.

---

Get it here now:
https://sik.itch.io/miniplanets

Full playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY_qK3vMtEJ9NaJ_a_X0Ml_RSQV7bgF3m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsaZIojn5rQ&list=PLY_qK3vMtEJ9NaJ_a_X0Ml_RSQV7bgF3m&index=1

Deprecating the old thread since it's not a demo anymore (and that download link was dead anyway)

dr apocalipsis
11-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Fantastic job.

All this game needs now is a cover art.
(And OpaOpa hack).

highlandcattle
11-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Nice! No physical release?

Winterwolfen
11-13-2016, 10:10 AM
yeah, go to piko, maybe he can help you with it. I would love to have a CIB copy

Mad Moham
11-13-2016, 04:24 PM
I enjoyed playing through this, cool game. I'm not sure why this thread isn't getting a bit more action but I hope there's plenty of people that pay you for the download.

Helder
11-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Definitely a cool game and I donated for the download because these things take time and people don't always get the recognition they deserve for the time they invest in making these games.

Sik
11-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Whoops just noticed all passwords were offset by 1 >.>; Uploaded REV01

Stef
11-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Well done Sik :) Very polished game as usual. I love the minor but smooth zoom at completion screen :)

OverDrone
11-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Looks so cool.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-14-2016, 08:20 AM
In my opinion, Sik is one of the unsung heroes of our community. He has now released 2 games for free and left it up to the end user to donate towards his efforts! If you downloaded the game and have the means, please consider donating some money to sik who always delivers a superior, polished product each and every time.

I consider this an early Christmas present and have donated some money to him for developing this very fun and unique title!

Well done young Javier Degirolmo! :D

Genesis Knight
11-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Bravo! The most refreshingly original homebrew game for G/MD to date.

Sik
11-14-2016, 05:45 PM
I'll see when I can release the source code (alongside the proper license), trying to clean up some stuff. Already uploaded last night one of the new tools I used (https://github.com/sikthehedgehog/mdtools/tree/master/mml2esf) (also in case somebody here is interested on composing using MML). Not gonna make cartridges because honestly that's a horrible mess, I'll let other people take it up to themselves if they want.

Hey stupid question: does anybody know what are the dimensions for a manual? Would be nice to make a PDF for one.

xelement5x
11-14-2016, 05:59 PM
I'll see when I can release the source code (alongside the proper license), trying to clean up some stuff. Already uploaded last night one of the new tools I used (https://github.com/sikthehedgehog/mdtools/tree/master/mml2esf) (also in case somebody here is interested on composing using MML). Not gonna make cartridges because honestly that's a horrible mess, I'll let other people take it up to themselves if they want.

Hey stupid question: does anybody know what are the dimensions for a manual? Would be nice to make a PDF for one.

I just measured the manual in Shining in the Darkness and it looks like each page is 166mm tall, with each page being about 95mm wide. If you're going to make something printable I can imagine you might want an extra mm or so on each page though to account for the spine/staple part of the manual.

Gogogadget
11-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Remindes a little of Kula World with the camera system.. I love Kula World.

Will check out.

goldenband
11-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Bought this the other day and played through it today. Fun game with a nice concept and nifty level design! It's a bit too short for a standalone cart release IMHO, but would be fantastic to have as part of a multigame anthology cart.

Flygon
11-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Not gonna make cartridges because honestly that's a horrible mess, I'll let other people take it up to themselves if they want.
Why not officially licence it out, rather than having it be a hodgepodge of 'repros'?

They manufacture for you, you just sit back and relax.

bgvanbur
11-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Couldn't give you rep but wanted to say this is an awesome game! Perhaps a demo/attract mode would add even more polish.

Sik
11-17-2016, 03:12 AM
Uploaded the soundtrack in OGG format (・・ ) I would do VGM too but honestly I'm horrendous, I'll let somebody else do that (or if some day I'm somehow not lazy, figure out how to make VGMs straight from the source data)

cleeg
11-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Yet to try on hardware, but I have had a prelim playthrough on emulation and really like it. Controls very nicely and is good fun.

Sik
11-18-2016, 10:26 AM
I just released the source code:
https://github.com/sikthehedgehog/miniplanets

bgvanbur
11-18-2016, 11:17 AM
I really like how easy the stage code is to follow. Wonder if anyone will make some new levels?

Jeckidy
11-19-2016, 12:08 AM
It's brilliant, almost like a 16-bit Mario Galaxy. Well done!!

bertodecosta
11-22-2016, 05:03 AM
This game is lovely.
Also Qisha is cute, as cute as Stephany.
Thanks Sik. :love:

bgvanbur
11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Last night the stage 2-* music was stuck in my head, very catchy :)

sjorspion
11-26-2016, 10:15 AM
OMG very Nice! Love to buy a CIB from you! :D

Sik
11-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Reminder that I'm not gonna make cartridges on my own =P

I need to finish that manual, I need to get done with the cover >_> (though I may add a few pages since it's a bit on the too thin side, it doesn't even have an index)

Bones Justice
11-27-2016, 12:55 AM
Reminder that I'm not gonna make cartridges on my own =P

How do I play it then?

Mad Moham
11-27-2016, 06:33 AM
How do I play it then?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but the game runs fine for me with Kega Fusion. Have you tried it with your choice of emulator?

Bones Justice
11-27-2016, 08:44 AM
I don't have an emulator. I play Sega games on my Genesis or Nomad.

Sik
11-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Flashcart then. Or request a repro.

But seriously people underestimate just how hard it can be a release the game on cartridge. First of all there's tax hell, you can't just "license it out" when publishers demand exclusivity (and some are just interested on buying your copyright) and don't like ROMs being out in the open, then there's manufacturing expenses and distribution logistics (remember people nearly always complain about cartridges arriving weeks if not months late), not to mention eBay resellers trying to hoard as many cartridges as they can (sometimes with really shady tactics).

So huh yeah. I have better things to do than to deal with that shit. We need a "repro as a service" business for homebrew to solve the whole issue for once :P

Bones Justice
11-27-2016, 09:41 AM
But seriously people underestimate just how hard it can be a release the game on cartridge.:P

Oh, I don't underestimate it. I didn't estimate it at all since I have no idea how to do any of that stuff. I was just looking for solutions. So flashcart is like Everdrive, right? I suppose I should get one of those. But how do I get it to the Everdrive then? Or am I even asking the right questions?

cleeg
11-27-2016, 10:27 AM
You can use a Retrode (MD cart slot on a USB wire basically) to dump the ROM off a cart to PC, and from there to the SD card which goes into your flashcart.

Bones Justice
11-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Is there any way without a PC? I just have my mobile. I have to go to the library just to print stuff out. :p

Sik
11-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Yeah Everdrive and Mega Everdrive count (and they take SD cards), there are other flashcarts too. Up to you =P

Is there any way without a PC? I just have my mobile.
Download the ROM file from the itch.io page and save it in the SD card? Or is it one of those phones without a SD card slot?

The Retrode thing is for dumping cartridge games... this is the opposite situation XD

I have to go to the library just to print stuff out. :p
Even nowadays having a printer is rare for people with computers =P (wish I had one...)

Flygon
11-27-2016, 09:52 PM
We need a "repro as a service" business for homebrew to solve the whole issue for once :P

Here here.

All the tools required already exist, even if I don't exactly like krikzz stuff using 3.3v components (which creates it's own layer of hell).

Flashable Cartridges (https://krikzz.com/store/home/39-flashkit-cart-md.html)
Cartridge Flashers (https://krikzz.com/store/home/38-flashkit-programmer-md.html)
Mega Drive/Genesis Cartridge Shell (http://db-electronics.ca/product/genesis-megadrive-cartridge-shell/) (Clone of North American SEGA Cartridge - Comes with Gamebit screws)
Mega Drive/Genesis Clamshell Cases (https://www.pikointeractive.com/store.html#!/Sega-Genesis-Game-Case-Black-Case-of-10/p/45670335/category=9430348)

About the only thing the service actually needs to do themselves, are to print out the manuals, cover sleeves, and cartridge stickers. I'm sure your local print shop can cut you up a good deal.

Someone do this! I mean, fuck, I'd do this myself, if I wasn't so Australian. We need to start with a North American or European distributor, god dammit.

bagmahnutz
11-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Sweet, I love this game! Thank a lot Sik. Really good job!

We need a "repro as a service" business for homebrew to solve the whole issue for once :PRepros of any rom you want are available at aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-16-32-Bit-Game-Card-Custom-Game-Cartridge-For-Game-Player/32289459475.html) for 6usd including cart sticker and free shipping. It does say $100 but that is just to scare away annoying noobs from ordering. Because it used to say $1 and you had to order "6 pieces" (ie make an order for $6) to get a repro. And dumbasses kept making $1 orders then opening disputes :D So now they give you an instant discount instead. The order itself is done via pm on the site, that's where you tell them what rom and what sticker art you want. For 15usd they will include a proper box and manual.
I've ordered over 10 repros from that link, 6usd each time. The only problem is that they don't support battery save. So your repros won't have the ability to save game progress. Unless they managed to get that going, haven't been in contact with them for about a year.

bagmahnutz
11-28-2016, 10:07 AM
.................................................. ........

dra600n
11-30-2016, 07:56 PM
I spoke with Sik through PM, and he showed me that his license said that anyone can make physical copies, so I'm going to make some copies (and of course send money in Sik's direction). Cart only and CIB options will be available. Does anyone prefer cardboard or plastic, or have both options be available for the CIB?

Flygon
11-30-2016, 09:03 PM
I'd go with plastic, myself, for simplicity sake.

dra600n
12-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I can do either with the same ease and cost, so it doesn't make all that much difference to me, but I think most people would rather have plastic.

bagmahnutz
12-02-2016, 10:06 AM
That's incredible. I guess some peoole just like overpaying? I mean that's it, right?

Gogogadget
12-02-2016, 10:16 AM
That's incredible. I guess some peoole just like overpaying? I mean that's it, right?

Or actually trying to support a forum member and compensate him for his work, which he was generous enough to actually give us for free.

Sik
12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
I think he was talking about the cartridges. But hey, let's just have choices, each to their own.

And I'd go with plastic too (especially if it's the same cost), I mean that lasts longer right?

bagmahnutz
12-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Or actually trying to support a forum member and compensate him for his work, which he was generous enough to actually give us for free.You know what, I missed the part about "send money in Sik's direction". I was like, this guy wants to make, what, like 20 bucks (plus costs) on a a free rom, wtf is wrong with him. Too quick too judge, totally my bad. Sorry. Should've finnished reading the actual post first :p

Gogogadget
12-02-2016, 05:54 PM
You know what, I missed the part about "send money in Sik's direction". I was like, this guy wants to make, what, like 20 bucks (plus costs) on a a free rom, wtf is wrong with him. Too quick too judge, totally my bad. Sorry. Should've finnished reading the actual post first :p

Haha we've all done it before, don't worry.

Of course, nobody could stop anyone having a cart made from said site since technically it's a free game but it's nice to know Sik can get a return on what must of been a ton of man hours.

bagmahnutz
12-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Haha we've all done it before, don't worry.

Of course, nobody could stop anyone having a cart made from said site since technically it's a free game but it's nice to know Sik can get a return on what must of been a ton of man hours.I agree completely. I thought dra600n was openly talking about charging for carts and pocketing the money for himself. As opposed to me, who was sharing useful info for free. And ended up raging pointlessly. :D

dra600n
12-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Oh you peoples :P

I wouldn't do that to Sik :)

Raistlin
12-05-2016, 03:36 AM
I spoke with Sik through PM, and he showed me that his license said that anyone can make physical copies, so I'm going to make some copies (and of course send money in Sik's direction). Cart only and CIB options will be available. Does anyone prefer cardboard or plastic, or have both options be available for the CIB?

I would love to buy one and prefer a plastic case. :-)

dra600n
12-05-2016, 09:55 AM
I would love to buy one and prefer a plastic case. :-)

You got it :) The cover art is almost finished, and working on the label and manual art next. I'm hoping it won't be longer than a week to get the rest of the stuff done and printed up (I'm getting my own artwork made up in the event others repro it, at least they'll know which copies came from Second Dimension).

Sik
12-13-2016, 03:59 AM
A month already! (・o・) Released a TTF recreation of the game's HUD font to go with it!

You can get it from the same place you can get the game: https://sik.itch.io/miniplanets

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzinLbnXEAAjvGq.jpg

...also because I'm seriously considering opening a bank account just to use the bit of money I got to do laptop repairs, now it's not just the fan but some important keyboard keys are misbehaving (↓ is outright dead, Menu and right Ctrl key were already dead long ago, today S and D keep not working right) and I can't imagine a discrete keyboard being even remotely comfortable when I can't detach the builtin one <_<; (and laptops in Argentina seem to be going for like over 3000 USD because we love to gouge prices, even Alienware ordered from overseas would be cheaper and much more powerful)

(EDIT: yes it's possible I could find a cheaper computer, that's the price we found last time... though there's also the problem that nearly everything you can find locally is horribly underpowered by today's standards)

bagmahnutz
12-13-2016, 05:34 AM
A month already! (・o・) Released a TTF recreation of the game's HUD font to go with it!

You can get it from the same place you can get the game: https://sik.itch.io/miniplanets
...also because I'm seriously considering opening a bank account just to use the bit of money I got to do laptop repairs, now it's not just the fan but some important keyboard keys are misbehaving (↓ is outright dead, Menu and right Ctrl key were already dead long ago, today S and D keep not working right) and I can't imagine a discrete keyboard being even remotely comfortable when I can't detach the builtin one <_<; (and laptops in Argentina seem to be going for like over 3000 USD because we love to gouge prices, even Alienware ordered from overseas would be cheaper and much more powerful)

(EDIT: yes it's possible I could find a cheaper computer, that's the price we found last time... though there's also the problem that nearly everything you can find locally is horribly underpowered by today's standards)
You can buy replacement/spare keyboards for pretty much any model / brand of laptops on ebay and aliexpress for about 15 usd. /Captain Obvious

Sik
12-13-2016, 06:27 AM
+ shipping + import taxes =P (not to mention having a credit card, since that's the only legal way to do on-line payments from Argentina, and I'm far away from meeting the requirements to get one)

I could just open the laptop and give it a try myself but I'd leave that as a last resort since I have to take apart everything and that sounds risky (in the "I can likely break something" sense... though I said the same about desktop towers and eventually go to the point that taking apart everything became routine).

roce
12-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Wire funds to someone you trust, have them buy one locally and ship it to you as a gift?

bagmahnutz
12-13-2016, 11:25 AM
+ shipping + import taxes =P (not to mention having a credit card, since that's the only legal way to do on-line payments from Argentina, and I'm far away from meeting the requirements to get one)

I could just open the laptop and give it a try myself but I'd leave that as a last resort since I have to take apart everything and that sounds risky (in the "I can likely break something" sense... though I said the same about desktop towers and eventually go to the point that taking apart everything became routine).

Shipping is usually free worldwide with these things. I order different kind of spareparts on a regular basis. Don't you have ATM cards in Argentina? Or ar they not allowed for online shopping?

Sik
12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Only credit cards (there are debit cards that can be used in place of credit cards, but I'm not sure if they work here). In practice anybody who's serious over purchasing on-line just gets an US account with an US address from some friend. It ends up being easier to just dodge the laws altogether, which should tell you how bad it is =/ In any case I think I already have enough to get this laptop repaired anyway, but... meh =P I need to start thinking on other games >_>

On an unrelated topic, the new font should be useful for anybody who wants to make manuals or the like.

bagmahnutz
12-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Only credit cards (there are debit cards that can be used in place of credit cards, but I'm not sure if they work here). In practice anybody who's serious over purchasing on-line just gets an US account with an US address from some friend. It ends up being easier to just dodge the laws altogether, which should tell you how bad it is =/ In any case I think I already have enough to get this laptop repaired anyway, but... meh =P I need to start thinking on other games >_>Huh, I don't have a credit card and always pay with my visa atm/debit card. Good luck fixing your machine, bro. I'd love to keep offtopicking with you more (especially since I started it lol) but there should be some kind of limit :p

xelement5x
12-14-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure how expensive keyboards are there for you but I've got a pile of them here from work. Could probably just ship one off to you if it's that bad.

bagmahnutz
12-15-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure how expensive keyboards are there for you but I've got a pile of them here from work. Could probably just ship one off to you if it's that bad.Oh well, I'll go ot again :D He doesn't have a problem with "keyboards". His laptop's integrated keyboard is broken, he needs to either repair it or get a replacement specific for the laptop model that he has. He doesn't have any problems getting a normal, external, keyboard.

Sik
12-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Yep, that. A normal USB keyboard is cheap and easy to get (and would come with a numpad) and I do still have a spare USB port, the problem is that it's a laptop so it'd be probably cumbersome to use (I already don't have much space on the table and I can't imagine putting the keyboard on top of the laptop is that great of an idea). Though maybe I'm overestimating how awful that'd be ¯\(º_o)/¯

xelement5x
12-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Ahh. I personally can't stand laptop keyboards or trackpads/mouse nubs. At work I use a docking station and at home without a station I've just got a powered USB hub with all my devices connected to that I'll plug into whatever I'm working with.

Sik
01-02-2017, 05:21 PM
OK since CIBophiles seem to have come back in full force I'll just put here again what's the deal with Miniplanets:

I'm not going to make cartridges myself, I don't want to get involved into that mess.
Anybody can make and sell cartridges, no matter the amount. No money is requested.
So far everybody who contacted me with the intention to make cartridges have said they intend to pay me out of principle anyway.

That last point is probably interesting. So far I got nothing yet because it's too soon (none of those cartridges are even out!), but if this works out then maybe this could be a better approach to releasing homebrew without all the ugly trouble that's usually included (legalities and money can magically make people fight, OK?). And it also can kill the scalping business since there'd be no real limit to the supply.

By the way, if anybody wants to make Miniplanets cartridges there's no need to explicitly ask me for permission. That's what the license is for. (https://github.com/sikthehedgehog/miniplanets/blob/master/LICENSE)

Sik
01-26-2017, 01:50 PM
REV02 released, fixes some pretty important bug with real hardware, make sure to download the new ROM, especially if you're planning to make cartridges out of it.

Redownload here: https://sik.itch.io/miniplanets

Also for some weird reason that bug didn't seem to happen on a Mega Everdrive? (and it wasn't an initialization bug, it was something that should have never worked in the first place) It does certainly leave more questions...

EPSYLON EAGLE
01-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks dude!

Sik
02-23-2017, 07:49 PM
I completely forgot that there was a cheat here.

Press ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → in the title screen, you'll go to a secret menu when you start the game. If you hold down A while starting, you're sent to the credits screen instead.

Sik
05-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Somebody here may be interested:

https://twitter.com/PlayOnRetro/status/860742078594244609
https://twitter.com/PlayOnRetro/status/860749386632048640

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_H-_qCXcAAZ4Fx.jpg

roce
05-08-2017, 05:59 AM
The keyfob is a nice touch. Is that a sticker?

Team Saber Rider
05-08-2017, 11:50 AM
I like this game :)

smokemonster
05-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Playonretro doesn't seem to have it in stock yet. Can't wait until it's in!

Sik
05-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Yeah they aren't doing preorders. You'll have to wait for Friday =x

xelement5x
05-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Looks cute! You know what the price is going to be?

Sik
05-08-2017, 10:22 PM
32.99€ + shipping:
https://twitter.com/PlayOnRetro/status/861245751518744576

~33 EUR = ~36 USD

roce
05-09-2017, 04:37 AM
What's your cut, if you can say publicly?

Sik
05-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Get it before you regret it:
http://playonretro.com/store/es/home/50-miniplanets-manual-espa%C3%B1ol.html (English booklet)
http://playonretro.com/store/es/home/49-miniplanets-manual-espa%C3%B1ol.html (Spanish booklet)

cleeg
05-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Ordered!

Raistlin
05-13-2017, 12:34 PM
The version with the english manual say Manual Espaniol in the title (click the link to see it) too so how do you know that I ordered the english language version?

Sik
05-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Do you mean the URL? If so, ignore that (yeah, PlayOnRetro made a complete mess on that site x_x go complain to them, not me)

http://i.imgur.com/00ft0ud.png http://i.imgur.com/4YRSNuw.png

Raistlin
05-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Hmm somehow the problem isnt there anymore. When I ordered it yesterday there were two versions. One showed a pic with the british flag at the bottom and one with the spanish. Both headlines were Manual Espanol. So I ordered the one which showed the english flag in hope it will turn out clear that I would like to have the english manual but my paypalpayment only says Manual Espanol so I think I wont get the english one as you wont know that I ordered it. Is it understandable? Its quite hard for me to explain as english isnt my mothertongue. If not I may send you pics to help understand what I want to describe here.

Sik
05-13-2017, 06:57 PM
He's still fixing the site as far as I can tell ._. There's an e-mail address there (below the descriptions), feel free to e-mail them there. English should work.

PS: shipping on Monday it seems? (https://twitter.com/PlayOnRetro/status/863388107055525888) so you probably have time.

Raistlin
05-14-2017, 05:00 AM
This is what I mean.
I wrote them and ask them to send me the right one. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Problem's solved. Very kind guys.

bertodecosta
05-15-2017, 03:14 AM
This is what I mean.
I wrote them and ask them to send me the right one. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Problem's solved. Very kind guys.

I ordered English Booklet Version of MiniPlanets with Paypal checkout option.
But every time I clicked, it's always changed into "Manual Español" by itself.
I e-mailed them and got replied fast. Problem's solved too. :)

cleeg
05-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Got my copy this am, very nice packaging and transparent purple cart. I'd love one for my EverDrive. I also got a handwritten postcard thanking me for my business, which was very nice indeed.

Sik
05-19-2017, 06:57 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised at how fast the copies are arriving o_o

EDIT: by the way, the game is sold out, they're getting another batch ready.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
06-06-2017, 11:36 PM
i just wanted to state that I am quite impressed with the overall product: The keychain was a nice touch and what made it better was the price point! Not to expensive and thus making if affordable for the vast majority of SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive enthusiasts around the world. Great job Sik! :ok:

I have to mention that the individual behind PlayOnRetro was very pleasant to deal with. When the product was made available on his web site, I instantly purchase the game but initially encountered an error: I sent a quick message to PlayOnRetro regarding the issue and they resolved the matter within the hour. I have to remember to send him a quick email just to thank him for the excellent customer service! :D

Sik
06-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Found some old Miniplanets artwork
https://twitter.com/Sikthehedgehog/status/873098207076667392

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB3d0WbVYAEe9pM.jpg

bertodecosta
06-14-2017, 01:44 AM
I like the Qisha keychain.
Any chance we will get Stephany keychain some day?

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170614/4pvf9aw8.jpg

CrossBow
07-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Store is now undergoing maint and won't be back online until September. Bummer I was now ready and able to order up a copy of Miniplanets... Maybe when they are back up in September, Abbey des Mortes will be available too?

BigEvilCorporation
07-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Store is now undergoing maint and won't be back online until September. Bummer I was now ready and able to order up a copy of Miniplanets... Maybe when they are back up in September, Abbey des Mortes will be available too?

Seen the mockup for the book case version they're working on? I am excited.

CrossBow
07-20-2017, 12:43 AM
Seen the mockup for the book case version they're working on? I am excited.

Yes...I have and it looks fantastic!

I did sent them a message asking if it were still possible to order a copy of Miniplanets through their contact form. They emailed me back and stated it was possible and they would email me more information later. So... I guess I can still pick up Miniplanets!

Zebbe
07-21-2017, 09:55 AM
I bought a copy yesterday! Looking forward to play the game. I like the art, it feels a bit inspired by Ristar and Fantasy Zone. But the gameplay is very different and I don't think I've seen anything else doing the same technical things on the console. It's great to have a gem like this on cart, hope the same will happen with Project MD in the future.

CrossBow
08-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I received mine in the mail yesterday! Excellent packaging and very much worth the price paid! I plan to do one of my unscripted game play video review of the game perhaps this weekend when I've had more time and can get past the 3rd set of planets.

Curious how the 3D planet rotation was done? Is that using multiple sprites with priorities on them for the overlapping and then the player object is using the foreground? Eitherway, it is very impressive to see in reality while playing and pretty darn convincing for a 3D effect. Also are there 5 total planet sets? And do you call each set a planet system with the miniplanets contained within, or perhaps they are mini galaxies? I'm trying to find the best way to describe it all terminology wise.

Sik
08-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Curious how the 3D planet rotation was done? Is that using multiple sprites with priorities on them for the overlapping and then the player object is using the foreground?
Pretty much (the planet eats up 80% of the sprite table in fact). Other objects are also sprites on top of the planet, I was kind of surprised that sprite overflow never happens given how many sprites end up on the same line thanks to the planet.

Eitherway, it is very impressive to see in reality while playing and pretty darn convincing for a 3D effect. Also are there 5 total planet sets? And do you call each set a planet system with the miniplanets contained within, or perhaps they are mini galaxies? I'm trying to find the best way to describe it all terminology wise.
Planet = miniplanet
Planet set = planelago
Everything = planelago system

Planelago = planet + archipelago :​P (a planelago is a group of small planets much like how an archipelago is a group of small islands)

CrossBow
08-03-2017, 04:11 PM
[Planelago = planet + archipelago :​P (a planelago is a group of small planets much like how an archipelago is a group of small islands)[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't that be... a Planelago is a group of Miniplanets? LOL just messing with you. Excellent game as the 3.5 hours I put into last night would seem to indicate.

Sik
11-29-2017, 06:20 AM
*leaves this here*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zORvjdiFgM

Also the game is one year old already WTF

cleeg
11-29-2017, 05:24 PM
What's this then?

Sik
06-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Released REV03 since some consoles seem to not like REV02:
https://sik.itch.io/miniplanets (same itch.io link as usual)

I have no idea if it works though (I just changed something that I think is likely the cause, from experience). The problem is that there exist a few bugs that are specific to a few revisions but their exact behavior is not well documented (other than seemingly Sega having met them at some point and warned about them in addenums, but nobody could exactly prove them in homebrew times). Gotta start being more strict about this.

Also something to be said about cartridges. This is one of those bugs that are a lot more prominent if the cartridge is too slow. Not enough discussion about how cartridge response time affects hardware behavior (sadly, Mega Everdrive turned out to be very slow for this particular issue and glitch the fuck out).

CrossBow
06-26-2018, 05:24 PM
What is the main issue or bug that came up? I played quite a bit of it (never quite finished it...) but didn't seem to encounter anything odd. No lock ups or anything like that anyway.

Escape 2042 was a different story. That game gave me some issues, especially when trying to use my SegaCD with it for the background music tracks.

Sik
06-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Most consoles are not affected by it, but a few of them will have the water occasionally flashing red or the like (or in severe cases, glitched graphics overall).

tokay
10-29-2018, 10:25 AM
You can pre-order miniplanets alongside other games here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6sKyy9uvKGAA18yzQCA3rLGcuYFuzhuuWBD29vuKP uUqsZQ/viewform