PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast games: Rarest and most common

Jeckidy
01-03-2017, 05:28 AM
What's the consensus on this? Can anyone give me a top 10 for rarest and another for most common? I know Sonic Adventure and NFL 2K1 were some of the system's top sellers, but what else? I know Bangai-O and Skies of Arcadia are among the rarer ones. I'm looking mostly for US rarities and commons first and then EU and JP ones second. I already know the import shmups are very desired.

bagmahnutz
01-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Skies of Arcadia and the Shenmue games are not rare at all.
They're sold for those outrageous prices simply because people are willing to pay for the games cult status.
Their physical numbers are nowhere near the definition of rare.

BubsyFan1
01-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Sonic Adventure and Shenmue had limited edition releases if you want to count those. Kao the Kangaroo might be among the rarer ones. I don't think I've explored Dreamcast games enough to put any kinds of lists together.

xelement5x
01-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition is probably the rarest US release. For Japan I would guess it is maybe the Under Defeat Limited Edition?

It's hard to quantify rare versus pricey with some stuff, like Giga Wing 2 is pricy and rare. But something like Skies of Arcadia had a ton of copies made but is still in the $50-$60 range too. The regular US release of Bangai-O is relatively common, but there is a very rare version that was release in Japan as the prize to a drawing or something I think. That one is crazy expensive.

WarmSignal
01-03-2017, 07:56 PM
I know several of the shumps are, and several of the Capcom fighters are among the rarest I think. I'd say the most common games on the system are like Rippin Riders, Soul Caliber, Blue Stinger, Hydro Thunder, Trick Style, and House of The Dead 2.

bagmahnutz
01-03-2017, 08:34 PM
I'd say the most common gamesAnd Shenmue, that game is one of the most common dreamcast games (except for the demo disc that came with the console).

Guntz
01-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Any game with a Sega All-Stars budget re-release is very common, except the All-Star versions themselves, ironically enough.

Lan Di
01-03-2017, 09:23 PM
My opinion of rare Dreamcast games (north american) in no particular order.

1. Gigawing 1&2
2. Illbleed
3. Cannon Spike
4. Mars Matrix
5. Death Crimson OX

gamevet
01-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Tech Romancer

I once owned Cannon Spike, until it was stolen. :(

Jeckidy
01-03-2017, 11:04 PM
I've owned both Sonic Adventure LE and Illbleed in the past. Illbleed wasn't nearly as valuable at the time I sold it as it was now.

WarmSignal
01-04-2017, 01:38 AM
And Shenmue, that game is one of the most common dreamcast games (except for the demo disc that came with the console).

Well it's not as if I see Shenmue in every odd stack of Dreamcast games, but it's not uncommon at all.

GriskaGyoran
01-04-2017, 08:03 AM
So glad I bought that copy of Illbleed back in 2006 before it became this sort of Dreamcast "everyone must own" game. Bad news is mine is missing the manual.

Jeckidy
01-04-2017, 08:48 AM
I loved Illbleed because of its ludicrous concept and dark humor. I played it through three times straight in the dark in my room, for all the endings. Very memorable experience, but like Maniac Mansion, it's definitely one of those games you put away after seeing all the endings and possible scenarios.

bultje112
01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Well it's not as if I see Shenmue in every odd stack of Dreamcast games, but it's not uncommon at all.

shenmue is the 2nd best selling game of all time on dreamcast, so yeah very common

gamevet
01-04-2017, 11:42 AM
No. NFL2K1 is the second best selling D.C. Game.

profholt82
01-04-2017, 11:57 AM
According to this Microsoft press release from 2001, Shenmue on the DC sold 1.2 million worldwide. I think that would certainly put it comfortably in the top 5 biggest sellers for the console.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090319161134/http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/oct01/10-11segatopgamespr.mspx

bagmahnutz
01-04-2017, 01:36 PM
According to this Microsoft press release from 2001, Shenmue on the DC sold 1.2 million worldwide. I think that would certainly put it comfortably in the top 5 biggest sellers for the console.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090319161134/http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/oct01/10-11segatopgamespr.mspxCool, thanks for the link!

The reason you don't see it is because it still sells and it sells for a good dollar too. Not because there aren't that many physical copies.

Raja
01-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Tech Romancer
Cannon Spike
Spawn in the Demons Hand
Project Justice
Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves
Mars Matrix
Samba De Amigo v2
JoJos Bizzare Adventure
Street Fighter 3rd Strike (idk if its that rare but I had a hard time acquiring it)
Illbleed
MK Gold

All good games actually though Spawn is a little... idk... meh

Common are Shenmue, Sports games, Blue Stinger, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic games, Resident Evil Code Veronica and 2 and 3, etc - stuff you'd expect to be common

Lots of good middle of the road games that are kind of sorta rare too like Gauntlet Legends, Typing of the Dead, and D2 and that kind of stuff....

xelement5x
01-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Since you can see the general trend forming, I'll also note that a lot of the Capcom games that were put out tend to be keeping higher prices.

Capcom supported the system a lot when it came to releases, but I feel like they were definitely hedging their bets with the number of actual discs produced per game. Later titles like Giga Wing 2 probably had much smaller runs than earlier titles they put out.

I will also mention, ECW Anarchy Rulz is a kind of hard one to locate for a good price, I feel like there were probably not a lot made there either.

Leynos
03-02-2018, 02:09 AM
Shenmue was dirt cheap as was Shenmue II on Xbox until Shenmue III was announced. In 2014 you could get a CIB copy of Shenmue on DC for $10 shipped. Shenmue II for a high price of....$2. Sure it sometimes sold for 10 bucks or so but it wasn't that uncommon to see it for less than 5 bucks CIB. Also necro bump..sorry.

bultje112
03-03-2018, 03:36 AM

https://web.archive.org/web/20090319161134/http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/oct01/10-11segatopgamespr.mspx

Those figures are based on npd charts whick back then weren't complete. Certain large chains like EB weren't covered so you can adf some to those sales. The problem was though that shenmue wasn't a system seller.