PDA

View Full Version : Game Gear Retron 5 adapter finally revealed

VirtuaRicky
01-06-2017, 12:56 AM
Not much to say on the technical side of things, but I'm reconsidering buying the console again. I wonder if this would work on just a regular Genesis? Either way, GG on TV!

Day Man
01-06-2017, 02:22 AM
Might want to get your game gear games now, this might increase the fan base. It looks like an interesting product, do you know how much its going to retail for?

roadkill
01-06-2017, 03:54 AM
Anything that has to do with the Retron 5 I couldn't care less, no offense. I just despise the console. (1)It stole open source emulators for profit, (2)it's emulation and defeats the purpose of using real cartridges when I can just use free open source emulators on so many other platforms without cartridges, (3) it has bad input lag and lastly (4) it's very unreliable.

The Retro Freak on the other hand I wouldn't mind picking up and trying out, but it's out of my price range.

Guntz
01-06-2017, 12:48 PM
The Retro Freak has already had it's own adapter released for that.

Does it work on a regular Genesis?

The Mark III/My Card Mark III/Sega Card part of the adapter, yes, that does work.
GG functionality though is limited to only being able to view the intro scenes. Colors are all screwy, and pressing the controller buttons has no effect.

Try using that GG adapter on a Genesis Model 1 console, preferably revision VA6 or older.

Melf
01-06-2017, 01:17 PM
If it works on a regular Genesis, I'd buy it to play GG games on my TV.

Guntz
01-06-2017, 01:47 PM
If it works on a regular Genesis, I'd buy it to play GG games on my TV.

It's probably just a pin adapter like every other Master System to Genesis adapter. Although the Model 1 Genesis has some Game Gear support (the controls namely), it's incomplete and the increased color palette and new video mode of the Game Gear is unsupported.

To make a proper Game Gear to Genesis adapter, it'd pretty much have to be a Game Gear in a Genesis cartridge. It would also only work on the Genesis Model 1 (again, controllers).

Thierry Henry
01-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Try using that GG adapter on a Genesis Model 1 console, preferably revision VA6 or older.

The first Genny consoles I tried it with were with my Model 1's. No dice.

I've tried it in a number of ways, including on the CDX, X'Eye, Nomad, via the RetroGEN adapter, and I've even tested it on a Retron 5. :p

Guntz
01-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Do you have any VA2 or VA3 Model 1s?

Thierry Henry
01-06-2017, 02:40 PM
^^
I have a VA3, but not at hand. It's at a friends house. That's about the only one I haven't tested that Retro Freak adapter with.

Azathoth
01-12-2017, 02:19 AM
The Mark III/My Card Mark III/Sega Card part of the adapter, yes, that does work.

Dumb question: I'm assuming that it's just a pin connector that either looks for a Sega Card or a SMS cart to be connected and boots accordingly, and doesn't have the proper hardware setup to support the 3D glasses?

Thierry Henry
01-12-2017, 04:45 AM
Dumb question: I'm assuming that it's just a pin connector that either looks for a Sega Card or a SMS cart to be connected and boots accordingly, and doesn't have the proper hardware setup to support the 3D glasses?

In any case, there'd be no way to connect both the 3D glasses and the Master System cart.