PDA

View Full Version : SMS Everdrive on Game Gear

Guntz
01-12-2017, 08:34 PM
If you have a SMS Everdrive, a Game Gear console and a Master Gear adapter, is it possible to run Game Gear games with this setup? Or do you need a Game Gear Everdrive to play Game Gear games?

IrishNinja
01-12-2017, 08:51 PM
that's a pretty good question actually, i still haven't played that one shining force chapter we never got (think it was fan translated?)

either way shame my GG's screen is damn near dead

joyeux
01-12-2017, 09:57 PM
If you have a SMS Everdrive, a Game Gear console and a Master Gear adapter, is it possible to run Game Gear games with this setup? Or do you need a Game Gear Everdrive to play Game Gear games?

Maxim from SMS Power says:

You would have to modify the Master Gear to allow you to force GG mode. This involves cutting a trace and adding a switch. The GG Everdrive is able to do this in software but the SMS one can't.
Topic: http://www.smspower.org/forums/15673-EverdriveQuestion#88772

Guntz
01-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Sweet, thanks. Now to see if I can find a Master Gear adapter for cheap.

IrishNinja
01-12-2017, 10:40 PM
yeah i had one in the day & it worked great, haven't seen one since but figure they should still be fairly cheap?

Guntz
01-12-2017, 10:47 PM
From a Canadian perspective, it's not easy to get a cheap Master Gear adapter. Anyone here got one for sale?

datbuta
01-16-2017, 09:09 PM
From a Canadian perspective, it's not easy to get a cheap Master Gear adapter. Anyone here got one for sale?

I PM'd you about the master gear converter

joyeux
01-31-2017, 08:16 AM
On the Everdrive regard, I was thinking what is worth it:

1) Buy a SMS Everdrive to use in both SMS and GG (with adapted Master Gear) - which seems to be the easier option

or

2) Buy a GG Everdrive to use in both GG and SMS (with some slot adaptation...) - which seems to be a nicer but complicated or unfeasible option, since these adapters likely don't exist. Have anyone tried this?

GohanX
01-31-2017, 11:53 AM
The GG Everdrive can run SMS roms directly without modification unless you're rocking a Majesco GG. I used to have both the GG and SMS Everdrives and I'd use the same SD card for both.

joyeux
01-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Mine is a Tectoy one, so for SMS games I would be fine going with a GG Everdrive.

What I still don't know is if I could use a GG Everdrive in a SMS using some kind of adapter, or building one.

I just don't want to buy both Everdrives, but I expect to play it in the SMS and in the GG, since I don't like to play SMS games in my Game Gear.

joyeux
02-07-2017, 07:32 AM
According to Esrael Neto (Sega-Brasil). the mod is necessary to boot GG games in SMS Everdrive. He kindly answered my question, which I will roughly translate:

In fact, you will need to make a change to the adapter in order for Game Gear to switch between Master System and Game Gear modes. Pin 42 (Signal !GG) of the Cartridge Slot controls this mode. The adapters by default connect this pin to the VCC. The key in question should cause this pin to be grounded, making the signal low and activating Game Gear mode.

Interestingly you can activate the GG mode for any game of Master System and the game will be interpreted as Game Gear with reduced screen and palette in 4096 colors mode, however as the VDP was initialized in Master System mode the result will be The Game Gear resolution with the wrong palettes

Link: https://www.sega-brasil.com.br/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5327&p=62872#p62867

Team Saber Rider
05-08-2017, 11:40 AM
The GG Everdrive can run SMS roms directly without modification unless you're rocking a Majesco GG. I used to have both the GG and SMS Everdrives and I'd use the same SD card for both.
Whats the difference with a Majesco GG?

Guntz
05-08-2017, 01:53 PM
It's a cost reduced Game Gear, everyone says SMS games don't work with it. The screen is supposedly better, but everything else is worse, such as the speaker and overall build quality.

Team Saber Rider
05-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Ah okay. Is it possible to take out the screen and put it in a normal GG?

Guntz
05-08-2017, 03:10 PM
It's better to re-cap a Majesco GG and take the speaker and buttons out of a parts Sega Game Gear.

vexatious
09-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Game Gear console and a Master Gear adapter, is it possible to run Game Gear games with this setup?
Needs modded Master Gear converter (adapter to play Master System games on Game Gear) or modded cartridge according to this:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/segahacking/gearmasterhack.html

Basically same as doing a region mod, though easier compared to most consoles. Only requires three wires soldered (six solder points), unless you change it to your own method.

Don't recommend drilling or cutting any holes on anything. Try to find a screw that can be left out and replace slide switch from above link with tiny push switch inside the hole. Should work fine with a paperclip afterward, and hardware will still be %100 intact.

Or do you need a Game Gear Everdrive to play Game Gear games?
No shouldn't; not according to above link on this post.

You probably won't care about this but thought it might be useful info:
From what I gathered it costs about $40.00 after shipping for a basic DIY Game Gear 8mbit re-writable flash cart. Still needs assembling universal programmer, and a computer with LPT or USB port. Also, you'd need to assemble a ym2413 FM sound expansion for %100 compatibility, and de-solder ROM from existing Game Gear 8mbit cart. After completing a total %100 usable flash cart, you'd still need a way to implement the "Codemasters" mapper which is only used for unlicensed "Codemasters" game to ensure 100% compatibility with all mappers. Also, adding SRAM and Logic controller to non-sram 8mbit cart might make cart too large; plus you'd still need the FM expansion unit, LPT female dongle and female socket for 8mbit flash ram. So by the time you're done with a complete DIY 100% Game Gear compatibility cart, it'll come to maybe $100.00 and still be too large for factory cart size; plus you'll need a way to adapt Game Gear carts to a Genesis Powerbase Converter to play your Master System games on the Genesis, and double-check SMS mappers are all compatible. Still need to consider cost of proper tools which could be another $40.00. Total cost after tools is probably about $150.00.:daze:

Came up with this info after reading articles and figuring out the best way to have compatibility across all Sega's machines. Mostly interested in portable 32X-CD console but I realized the Game Gear puts a dent in compatibility. Unless a clone 32X-CD is made with missing palette and Z80 clock speed selector for Game Gear compatibility, I guess I'm stuck with two consoles no matter what. Another trick could be a "Gear Base Converter" so Genesis users could have missing Game Gear hardware inside a Genesis size cartridge with link port etc (similar to a Super Gameboy, without redundant hardware though); already possible by installing Game Gear console hardware into genesis cartridge (might need to deform cartridge).