PDA

View Full Version : Doubt about buying a second-hand GG

bigladiesman
01-13-2017, 04:07 PM
OK, so there's no solution to my old 1992 GG: its motherboard is dead, drown in broken condenser fluid.

I considered two offers: one is a GG with "new" condensers for 70 (about 75 $) and another one is one that reportedly still works fine but retains its original condensers for 75 (about 80 $) and comes with six cartridges.

Is it a better idea to buy a cheaper malfunctuoning one (35 $) and take it to a retro gaming repair service?

Or it's better just to wait, save and keep playing on an emulator? I even considered buying that cheap AT Games clone that reportedly works with roms on an SD card, but I'm afraid it's not worth it.

Guntz
01-13-2017, 04:40 PM
What does your old 1992 GG currently do? Even if it turns off by itself, Game Gears can always be brought back to life. After removing all the "condensers" (I assume you mean capacitors), clean up any fluid leakage, add fresh solder and install new capacitors where appropriate.

If you have no soldering skill, try taking your old Game Gear to a repair service first. If that doesn't end up working, get a Game Gear that has new capacitors already installed.

None of clones by AtGames does Game Gear games.

bigladiesman
01-13-2017, 05:42 PM
What does your old 1992 GG currently do? Even if it turns off by itself, Game Gears can always be brought back to life. After removing all the "condensers" (I assume you mean capacitors), clean up any fluid leakage, add fresh solder and install new capacitors where appropriate.

If you have no soldering skill, try taking your old Game Gear to a repair service first. If that doesn't end up working, get a Game Gear that has new capacitors already installed.

None of clones by AtGames does Game Gear games.

Capacitors, sorry. I fell for a false friend.

Well, my console actually does nothing whatsoever. Even when connecting it to DC 9V adapter, it doesn't even light up. I'm sorry to have forgotten to point out something important in the OP: I've actually taken my GG to 2 different repair services, to no avail. They even tried to get the original capacitors out and sent them back to me (I'm keeping them for collecting sake).

So my only option is to buy another one with new capacitors... I'm in no hurry, so I'll make do with emus at the moment. Thanks for the info. It will come in handy while I look for another GG.

Tower of Power
01-13-2017, 09:30 PM
All the Game Gears I've encountered with original caps have eventually had problems, I would not pay $70+ for one with original caps, even if it was working, especially if you're saying you had problems getting your original serviced. Not worth it for the six games, unless there's something really rare in there, Game Gear games are cheap.

Guntz
01-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Well, my console actually does nothing whatsoever. Even when connecting it to DC 9V adapter, it doesn't even light up. I'm sorry to have forgotten to point out something important in the OP: I've actually taken my GG to 2 different repair services, to no avail. They even tried to get the original capacitors out and sent them back to me (I'm keeping them for collecting sake).

Do these two different repair services even know the first step to fixing a game Gear is replacing all the capacitors in it with new ones?

No power could be caused by voltage spike damage, but more likely trace damage from the leaking capacitors. A skilled repair tech would inspect for and repair capacitor corrosion.

bigladiesman
01-13-2017, 09:55 PM
All the Game Gears I've encountered with original caps have eventually had problems, I would not pay $70+ for one with original caps, even if it was working, especially if you're saying you had problems getting your original serviced. Not worth it for the six games, unless there's something really rare in there, Game Gear games are cheap.

OK, so, new capacitors are a MUST: they give the console a much needed longer lifespan.

bigladiesman
01-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Do these two different repair services even know the first step to fixing a game Gear is replacing all the capacitors in it with new ones?

No power could be caused by voltage spike damage, but more likely trace damage from the leaking capacitors. A skilled repair tech would inspect for and repair capacitor corrosion.

Yep, I think I remember the first ones actually finding out about the problem and saying the voltage spike was damaged. The problem here is money: all-in-all maybe a new one would turn to be cheaper. Just for giving out the price, they already charge 10 bucks in case one refuses...

As far as I know, mine needs new capacitors, a voltage spike and a brand new speaker. They wanted to charge me 75 bucks back then... I dunno... I think I'd better keep on looking for a new one... :sweat::sweat::sweat:

vintagegamecrazy
02-16-2017, 12:35 AM
I know this is an old post now but what did you end up doing with this system? I have sold several systems that I've refurbished with new screen covers and all new capacitors for $75 apiece so I don't think you're too bad off especially if you get a system guaranteed to work.

bigladiesman
02-21-2017, 12:46 AM
I know this is an old post now but what did you end up doing with this system? I have sold several systems that I've refurbished with new screen covers and all new capacitors for $75 apiece so I don't think you're too bad off especially if you get a system guaranteed to work.

Ah, about this, thanks for the offer, but last Friday I bought a refurbished GG on eBay for about 60, shipment, two games (the crappy Olympic Gold - but I'm keeping it: being from Barcelona it's a nice memento from our 1992 Olympics - and the decent Columns) and the nowadays utterly useless - but nice to have in a collection - TV tuner included,

vintagegamecrazy
02-23-2017, 01:36 PM
I wasn't trying to offer anything to you, I just wanted to say that a $75 bundle is fair price with games IMO. I'm glad you found one though. You can always sell the old one off for parts and at least make something back to offset your purchase too.

bigladiesman
02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Ah, sorry for the confusion, then. :sorry:

And, yes, I'm thinking about selling my old GG for parts. Cheap, of course XD