PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Saturn 'Best Games' Thread

Blades
02-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Taking the cue from the other thread, this thread now exists.

If money was no object, what are the absolute best games for the Saturn? Not 'good for the Saturn but actually terrible overall because the Saturn sucks' (Tomb Raider) or 'huge potential' (Sonic Jam's 2 meters of 3D world). Real. Fun. Original games.

I recently tried Burning Rangers and was very underwhelmed, so I'm curious too.

At a minimum, post a screenshot and a short description of why the game's great.

I guess I'll start the list with Nights into Dreams.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s451/apples555/81048_12Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-12-Nights-Into-Dreams...-with-3D-Control-Pad-USA_zpshofn17c3.jpg

Excellent, original, and imaginative game. Kind of short, but a fun foray into the dreams of its creators. Great music too.

gamevet
02-03-2017, 12:39 AM
I don't know why he's playing the Japanese version, but I've mentioned this title in the other thread. GunGriffon is a sleeper hit for the Sega Saturn.
fShcoRwesZU

EmperorIng
02-03-2017, 01:09 AM
I've owned and played a lot of Saturn games, and I'd like to first-hand count out most of the arcade ports that don't *really* make the system worthwhile, especially with the existence of MAME in the state that it is in these days. I mean, Darius Gaiden is a nice port, but there is little that makes it stand out from booting the ROM in MAME. I mean, there are the honorable mentions of the VING Taito ports (Elevator Action 2, Bubble Symphony, Metal Black) for being obsessively arcade-perfect (at a time when even seemingly 1:1 ports have minor differences).

Nonetheless, when I look at the exclusives I've played, I'd consider Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Bulk Slash to be the best games I have played on the system. Hon. mention to GunGriffon, which would be there if I didn't think the later missions get a little bit too hard for their own good. Bulk Slash is just one of the most enjoyable action games I have played from the 32-bit era: its mixture of arena/free-roam levels and huge boss keeps things fun, if a little easy. Zwei is about as good as a rail shooter can get: branching paths, developed scoring system, and an atmosphere and mood that sets itself above so many of its peers (and its predecessor) by being somber and down-beat. The final boss is one of the best final bosses in gaming if only for how the music and scenery contribute to the exultation in taking it down.

Thief
02-03-2017, 01:12 AM
I've owned and played a lot of Saturn games, and I'd like to first-hand count out most of the arcade ports that don't *really* make the system worthwhile, especially with the existence of MAME in the state that it is in these days. I mean, Darius Gaiden is a nice port, but there is little that makes it stand out from booting the ROM in MAME. I mean, there are the honorable mentions of the VING Taito ports (Elevator Action 2, Bubble Symphony, Metal Black) for being obsessively arcade-perfect (at a time when even seemingly 1:1 ports have minor differences).

Nonetheless, when I look at the exclusives I've played, I'd consider Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Bulk Slash to be the best games I have played on the system. Hon. mention to GunGriffon, which would be there if I didn't think the later missions get a little bit too hard for their own good.

Tera Driver is better on Saturn then the STV. At least the Saturn re-release version.

EmperorIng
02-03-2017, 01:16 AM
It's why I said "most," because you have that, games like Radiant Silvergun with a fleshed-out console mode (which honestly is not as good as the vanilla arcade mode), or interesting diversions like Jaleco's Game Tengoku having an exclusive console mode that has like, one new stage and two new bosses.

Though Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver is far from being Raizing's best game. I like it though. If Kingdom Grandprix had a decent Yoko mode, I might prefer that over it for Raizing shooting on the Saturn. That's why there's MAME: to save me from lackluster ports AND the hassle of flipping my TV on its side.

gamevet
02-03-2017, 01:25 AM
Nonetheless, when I look at the exclusives I've played, I'd consider Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Bulk Slash to be the best games I have played on the system. Hon. mention to GunGriffon, which would be there if I didn't think the later missions get a little bit too hard for their own good. Bulk Slash is just one of the most enjoyable action games I have played from the 32-bit era: its mixture of arena/free-roam levels and huge boss keeps things fun, if a little easy. Zwei is about as good as a rail shooter can get: branching paths, developed scoring system, and an atmosphere and mood that sets itself above so many of its peers (and its predecessor) by being somber and down-beat. The final boss is one of the best final bosses in gaming if only for how the music and scenery contribute to the exultation in taking it down.

In all fairness, yes GunGriffon's final stages are incredibly difficult, but when compared to the other consoles offerings in the genre, the game stands as a much better product.

bultje112
02-03-2017, 05:17 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/Torico_European_Cover.jpeg

V3fCwibFd4k

intro of the video. please check the video out it gives you an idea of the terrific atmosphere of the game and amazing soundtrack

I wrote a short review about it some 8 years ago: http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/197806-lunacy-sat/reviews/136504

Imo the best fmv game you can get and how fmv games should've been. an obscure title that has an amazing storyline, incredible atmosphere and has aged very well. worth checking out

Thief
02-03-2017, 11:25 AM
It's why I said "most," because you have that, games like Radiant Silvergun with a fleshed-out console mode (which honestly is not as good as the vanilla arcade mode), or interesting diversions like Jaleco's Game Tengoku having an exclusive console mode that has like, one new stage and two new bosses.

Though Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver is far from being Raizing's best game. I like it though. If Kingdom Grandprix had a decent Yoko mode, I might prefer that over it for Raizing shooting on the Saturn. That's why there's MAME: to save me from lackluster ports AND the hassle of flipping my TV on its side.

I gave Tera Driver a quite a few good goes once, and I really liked the total package of that game (kick butt sci-fi atmosphere, music, gameplay). This discussion here is making me think of slapping the inferior PS1 version on my cracked PSP for a few more goes at it. I also need to start playing it right (controlling it's rank), as I always been playing it by maxing out rank. Knew it's wrong, but I was stubborn and having too much fun getting my butt kicked. But all in good practice, still. I recall the asteroid music theme being one of my fave.

Kamahl
02-03-2017, 01:24 PM
http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/54386-Radiant_Silvergun_J-14.jpg

One of the top 10 shooters ever made.

Alianger
02-03-2017, 04:43 PM
1995:
Sega Rally Championship (ARC/SAT, 1995)
Darius Gaiden (ARC, 1994/SAT, 1995/PS1, 1996)
RayForce/Galactic Attack/Layer Section (ARC, 1994/SAT, 1995)
Magic Knight Rayearth (SAT, 1995/1998 US)
Virtua Fighter 2 (ARC, 1994/SAT, 1995)
Rayman (PS1/SAT, 1995)
Detana!! Twinbee (ARC, 1991/SAT, 1995)
Panzer Dragoon (SAT, 1995/PC, )
Puyo Puyo Tsuu (ARC/MD/SNES etc., 1994/SAT, 1995)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire (SAT, 1995)

1996:
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (SAT, 1996)
Saturn Bomberman (SAT, 1996)
Batsugun (ARC, 1993/SAT, 1996)
Nights into Dreams... (SAT, 1996/PS2 Remake, ) & Christmas Nights (SAT, 1996)
PowerSlave/Exhumed (SAT, 1996)
Dragon Force (SAT, 1996)
Street Fighter Alpha 2/Zero 2 (ARC/SAT, 1996)
Hyper Duel (ARC, 1993/SAT, 1996)
Shining the Holy Ark (SAT, 1996)
Purikura Daisakusen (SAT, 1996)

1997:
Shining Force III (SAT, 1997)
Elevator Action Returns (ARC/SAT, 1994/1997)
Bulk Slash (SAT, 1997)
Soukyugurentai (ARC, 1996/SAT, 1997/PS1, 2003)
Mega Man 8: Anniversary Collector's Edition (SAT, 1997)
Metal Slug (ARC/NG, 1996/SAT, 1997)
Mega Man X4 (PS1/SAT/PC, 1997)
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (SAT, 1997)
Bubble Symphony (ARC/SAT, 1994/1997) -
Assault Suit Leynos 2 (SAT, 1997)

1998:
Battle Garegga (ARC, 1996/SAT, 1998)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (SAT, 1998)
Shining Force III Scenarios 2 & 3 (SAT, 1998)
Cotton Boomerang (SAT, 1998)
Dragon Force II (SAT, 1998)
Radiant Silvergun (SAT, 1998)
Langrisser II/Langrisser Tribute (MD, 1994/SNES, 1995/SAT, 1998)
Ghouls 'n Ghosts & Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Capcom generations 2) (SNES, 1991/SAT/PS1, 1998)
Burning Rangers (SAT, 1998)
GunGriffon II (SAT, 1998)

1999:
Street Fighter Alpha 3/Zero 3 (ARC/DC, 1998/SAT/PS1, 1999)
Dungeons & Dragons Collection (SAT, 1999)

There's a lot that I haven't yet played though.

Blades
02-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Guys, while I appreciate that there's a lot of good games, a list isn't interesting at all, there are plenty of those online. I want to hear what you all think about these games. One game per post. STRICTLY ENFORCED, by no one.

Speaking of awesome games...

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s451/apples555/BurningRangers-WP3-lg_zpseh8y9hjv.jpg

I just finished Burning Rangers. I know I said this game sucked. It made a COMPLETE 180. It did suck until the last level (which was only the fourth one). The ending is super awesome (space colony...daughter of scientist with incurable disease...Burning Rangers is Shadow the Hedgehog prequel??!). The last level, boss, and music is awesome. It's like Sonic Team flunked all the exams during the semester, then aced the final.

Really, it must be experienced to appreciate it.

Unfortunately, they still got a C in the class.

Nonetheless, Burning Rangers is now on my awesome Saturn games list.

Next, I want to try out GunGriffon but I don't really love games without stories.

I also wanted to try Iron Storm, a WWII simulator, but it seems pretty dry.

gamevet
02-03-2017, 06:46 PM
I thought about bringing up Iron Storm. It's probably one of the the best military strategy video games ever made. It's way better than the disappointing Xbox sequel, and Panzer General as well. Just make sure you turn off the weather, because it will make the game incredibly difficult.

zetastrike
02-03-2017, 08:31 PM
One Saturn exclusive I like that rarely comes up is Steep Slope Sliders. This was also a ST-V Titan arcade game. I'm a big fan of Snowboarding games, particularly the Cool Boarders series on the PSX, and this game is quite an answer to those. I think it really outdoes them in control. Using the triggers to spin and the face buttons to pull off tricks feels much more natural than what Cool Boarders did. The course designs are nice and varied, with plenty of trees to weave around, ramps to launch off of, rails to grind, and tunnels to go through. There are unlock-able courses and characters. This is one I would pick up if you're a fan of winter sports and/or racing games.

H-fPphtmYEM

Baloo
02-03-2017, 09:08 PM
I played the absolute hell out of NiGHTS into Dreams. Mastered most of the levels to get A-rankings in that regard, but Good luck trying to get 2.0 on the bosses! Some of them are super difficult. Trying to paraloop the dragon's tail in the first level is so difficult. I had so much fun with NiGHTS though, what I really like about Sonic Team's games from that era was that they were short but had a lot of replay value. The music also made the game A+, loved the soundtrack.

Going into Burning Rangers it was the same way. Loved the unique gameplay of firefighters in space. Replayable levels with multiple pathways, different people to rescue which opened up different letters of the story and more level codes and even more characters to play as. There was a lot to explore in the game. The main weak point was the in-game music, which paled compared to NiGHTS despite being the same composers. They nailed the vocal themes, but the rest was completely forgettable. How about saving Yuji Naka and the like in the game? Reading the letters from the Scientist about the flower was a lot of fun too. That and Panzer Dragoon Saga are two of the few games that I wish were more easily emulatable as I regret not having a Saturn or copies any longer to play them.

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon Saga, that is a game and a half. There are few RPGs I really like, but PDS is absolutely gripping in its atmosphere, gameplay, and style. You'll get hooked all the way up to the "Holy cow!" ending and get lost in the mythos of the game in the meantime. There's a lot of FMV and the game, despite being on four discs, is fairly short, I remember it being about 15 hours long, which was a nice length for me. It remains one of my favorite games, and I think that it should be lauded a bit more when it comes to amazing games in general, considering so many other RPGs are slogfests and get old quick. Panzer Dragoon Saga keeps you on your toes. Positively creepy, lonely atmosphere, gripping story, and fascinating world and characters.

The original port of Daytona USA gets maligned for its draw distances and pop-up, but when it comes to actual gameplay, it's the best thing next to the actual arcade game. Subsequent ports and games just don't stand up to the original Daytona greatness. Spent a lot of time mastering Daytona, and again while many would consider it shallow by today's standards, it's quite the solid racing game.

Sonic R is another solid game. Best known for its catchy cheesy euro-house soundtrack with vocals from TJ Davis, there's a decent game lying underneath if you're willing to take a little time to master the controls. The PC port is much better graphically, as the Saturn game got a little too ambitious for its own good and in a lot of the game on the Saturn hardware it feels like you're running through a fog. This is not the case when it comes to the PC port. I still had a good bit of fun exploring the detailed levels and running around racing. It's not a system-seller, but it's fun in its own right. Perhaps that's just the nostalgia in me talking, as I've listened to the soundtrack on loop for what feels like years now. It never seems to be far away from my headphones.

In terms of Japanese games for the Saturn, a hidden gem is Sega ST-V All-Japan Pro Wrestling feat. Virtua. A great wrestling game with a few Virtua Fighter characters thrown in amongst Japanese wrestling stars. There's not much of a language barrier, and the controls and gameplay are spot-on. Definitely worth a look for any Saturn fan.

When it comes to other great Japanese Saturn games, the port of Street Fighter Zero 3 remains one of the best games for the system. New characters, arcade-perfect graphics, and controls that were just fantastic. They didn't cut any corners here with the inclusion of the 4MB RAM cart. I regret selling my copy years ago for a 3rd of the price it goes for now.

When it comes to Japanese games you'll really probably never get your hands on, Super Tempo comes to mind. If you were a fan of the 32x and Game Gear games, this is more of the same with even more colorful graphics.

If you enjoy 3D Fighters, you can't overlook Fighters Megamix, which included characters from all of SEGA's mildly-popular 3D fighting games from the time, including VF2, Fighting Vipers, and Sonic the Fighters. The graphics are not as good as say, VF2, but I found the gameplay to be the best and most diverse, as the number of characters made the game a little bit more interesting to explore, even if you did feel like you were still on the moon when it came to in-game physics.

When it comes to sports games on the Saturn, my pick goes with World Series Baseball '98. The first two World Series Baseball games were good fare in the vein of Sports Talk Baseball and Tommy Lasorda on Genesis, with 2D sprites and a batting system that was pretty lax, as there wasn't the kind of depth that you could really get on a 2D plane. But 98 really amped up the game, with a strike zone that was far more detailed, gameplay that allowed for real curveballs, spitballs, and everything else you could throw at the opponent, or try to hit. A really great baseball game that got overlooked at the time, and it has the MLB license to boot. I'd say one of the best baseball games of the era.

And for a lesser-known pick, I'm going to go with Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend. Gameplay-wise it's a solid, unremarkable pool simulator, but comes with some of the most entertaining FMV of the mid-90s.

Sv7qRKH-OMg

gamevet
02-03-2017, 09:30 PM
They're no Mystery Science Theater.

sidewinderl
02-03-2017, 11:10 PM
My pet Saturn game is Solar Eclipse (aka Titan Wars). Solid game, looks great, fairly legit FMV, dirt cheap, and never gets talked about despite beating the piss outta Star Fox (but I guess every Sega fan knows how that goes). I'd own a Saturn for that game alone, but maybe that's because I'm such a massive Babylon 5 fan, and Claudia is my 90's waifu (well, one of them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mU10RM1uOQ

Bones Justice
02-05-2017, 04:18 AM
Guys, while I appreciate that there's a lot of good games, a list isn't interesting at all, there are plenty of those online. I want to hear what you all think about these games. One game per post. STRICTLY ENFORCED, by no one.

So do these games have to be Saturn exclusives or just any great ones?

My pick is Virtual On Netlink Edition. The regular Virtual On is great but the Netlink version is AWESOME. The gameplay is spot-on even over the modem. You also get full-screen play with full arenas (some of them are cut-down a bit in split-screen play). The CPU is a good opponent but there is nothing like how devious a human opponent can be. Virtual On brings out all the great versus play of the best fighting games yet is unique in it's style of play. And you can even play this over the phone! This game gets my highest recommendation! :ok: :ok: :ok:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_small/1/16238/519392-virtualon_saturn1.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BnqMPHW_E_U/hqdefault.jpg

Team Andromeda
02-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Some of mine

Soukyugurentai

Simply put the best shooter ever made by the masters that were RAIZING. Game looks amazing, stages are the perfect length and the music score is out of this world and fits whats happing on screen perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2o9-kIEB0g&t=432s

Decathlete

The best track and field game with Model 2 like visuals and all at 702X480 at 60 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3JwQdwzJ8&t=358s

Exhumed/Powerslave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it4RhAF7PCc&t=122s

The best FPS that combines adventure, platforming and shooting all in one fab package . Stunning gfx brilliant sound and music and the most perfect level design (and puzzels) this side of Mario IV.

Die Hard Arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHw-KK1Y3IY&t=26s

A overlooked and underrated gem . It lookings stunning with its semi high res visuals and fab texture mapping (which even the Namco Soul Edge prasied) plays fab and is a top laugh in 2 player mode .

gamevet
02-05-2017, 01:36 PM
You guys are not attaching your videos right. All I'm seeing is a black box.

This is how you do it. If they want to see it on full-screen, they can click on the Youtube button in the video.
vHw-KK1Y3IY

Edit*

* Your videos do show up on my phone. Hmmm.....

Jeckidy
02-06-2017, 03:48 PM
NiGHTs into Dreams is still my favorite and the reason I got a Saturn to begin with. However, I got the remastered version on PSN and no longer have a Saturn, though sometimes I miss that thing. I also loved the Clockwork Knight games, which get unfairly panned.

Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers I only ever got to play in Japanese, but they seemed cool. Never finished them, though.

Team Andromeda
02-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Also like to add

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Almost the perfect 3D shooter with stunning visuals, ace chip generated music and lovely art design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5TpkvTsEQY&t=758s

Duke Nukem 3D

After Exhumed this is my fav FPS such imaginative level and boss design, full of great little touches and the Saturn version was the best home port at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEACyGMGPQ&t=682s

RSG

No other shooter looks like it , sounds like it or plays like it . The best showcase game for any system ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_JiuEM-CmQ&t=27s

Astal

Overlooked and underrated platform game that still looks and sounds gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBCB7ViGtng&t=1122s

IrishNinja
02-08-2017, 06:24 PM
really wish Elevator Action Returns was cheaper, it's one of the all-time greats for me. at least Taito Legends 2 is still accessible!

oh yeah, i'm halfway through scenario 2 of Shining Force III and that series just never dipped in quality, it's just so great

http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/54386-Radiant_Silvergun_J-14.jpg

speaking of expensive games! this one's great too

cleeg
02-09-2017, 03:06 AM
That pool game vid was hilarious! Funny guys on it too.

Bottino
02-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Within the much hyped and overrated realm of JRPGs, Azel is probably the king of it's generation; maybe Grandia is up there too.

Having said that, I'll land a one-two hit combo for the sake of this thread.

One:
Battle Garegga (Raizing, 1998)
http://i.imgur.com/br9VACL.jpg

An excellent japanese exclusive port of the legendary STG created by Raizing that packs an amazing arranged soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smTvY-5A-7U&list=PLAC0111093401FF8C&index=2) ( which comes as no surprise since the original, by Manabu Namiki, is incredible ), no slowdown and a score attack mode.
Honestly, there's not much that needs to be said about this game. It's BATTLE GAREGGA goddammit.

Two:
Street Fighter Zero (Alpha) 2 (Capcom, 1996)
http://i.imgur.com/VmnuPSV.jpg

It's 2D vs. fighting at it's best. A pretty much perfect port of the arcade original, that requires no expansion carts and can be played perfectly with the Saturn excellent stock controller. IMO Zero 2 is a much better, tightly focused game than Zero 3.

Gentlegamer
02-13-2017, 05:05 PM

I can't find this game, is it Jp? What's the kanji for One of the top 10 shooters ever made.

TmEE
02-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Exhumed !

QuickSciFi
02-13-2017, 08:11 PM
^Is that PowerSlave? I haven't played much of it yet since I purchased it, but what little I managed to try out was impressive. A proper 32 bit FPS.

I'd like to comment on Baloo's mention of Minnesota Fats' Pool Legends. It is one of those few games I have played over and over with my brother on the Genesis. It is likely the most fun I've ever had with a Pool game in couch multiplayer.

From the ones I've actually beaten, I'd like to vouch for:

Clockwork Knight (1): An amazing platformer. If you're a hardcore Genesis gamer, think Toy Story meets Dynamite Headdy.
Dark Legend: A very worthy addition to the 2D fighting game genre. And it's from Data East. 'Plays wonderfully.
Virtua Fighter Remix: Solid title. The arcade experience at home indeed.
Virtua Fighter Kids: Too adorable to miss
Virtua Fighter 2: Also very clean and amazing.
Last Bronx: Not exactly a cheap man's Virtua Fighter; but it follows the formula well-enough to stand on its own.
Street Fighter Alpha 2: It has aged wonderfully. Plays excellently

I have way more games in my Saturn backlog than I have beaten or thoroughly-played, but I'd love to one day go through these with more focus:

Astal
Bust-A-Move (2 or 3) in couch multiplayer.
Clockwork Knight 2 (Don't yet own this one. Definitely at the top of my want list)
Enemy Zero: I'd love to finally get into 32 bit horror games. I'd like this one to be my first venue.
Earthworm Jim 2: The music in this game is just fantastic.
The Lost World (Jurassic Park): I just love the feel of this game.
Independence Day: Same feelings as with The Lost World. There's just something entrancing about these 90s franchises on a 32 bit system.
Nights Into Dreams: No need to explain this one.
Daytona USA: I've played much of it already. I just want to play some more :)
Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 and Saga: For obvious reasons.
Quake: This one, I'd like to play just to see what the rage was all about. Especially b4 I play Arena on the DC
Rayman: Truly outstanding-looking. Gotta give this one my best effort.
Road Rash: Love the series. I'd like to play more of this as I have the ones on the Genny as well as 3 on the PC.
Scud: The Disposable Assassin: I really do want to give this one an honest playthrough; complete with lightgun peripheral.
All the Shining games
Shinobi Legions: Gotta really try this one out
Three Dirty Dwarves: What a gorgeous looking game. And so niche, too. A hidden gem, if there was one.
Sonic 3D Blast: This one was my first venue into the Sega Saturn. It was the first game I ever demoed back in the day at a BlockBuster Video store. The thing is, it got quickly overwhelmed by the N64 stand next to it carrying Super Mario 64. So it didn't hold as much interest for me as I would've wanted (also, the fact that the system came with a revealed "useless" cartridge slot that would not even try to play my Genesis library :().
Tomb Raider: I just really want to one day take some time to give this one an honest go. It was, after all, the first entry in the series (as in, the Sega Saturn version). I played so much of it on my PC bitd.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a ton more I'd like to play...

...Albert Odyssey, for one... and the list goes on... :)

Blades
02-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Quake

Exhumed !

Duke Nukem 3D

This is a good example of what I was trying to avoid with this thread. This thread is about the best original games exclusive to Saturn.

There is no reason to play Quake on a Saturn in 2017. Quake was intended as a way to let poor Saturn owners get in on the Quake fun. The Saturn couldn't even handle the Quake engine, so Lobotomy simply shoehorned Quake-like maps into an old semi-3D engine. Collision detection is off and the framerate nosedives whenever anything happens. You can even land on top of enemies who will then kill you instantly.

Neither is there reason to play Virtua Fighter or Daytona USA on the Saturn. All of these are ports of games that have been ported to newer systems with more faithfulness to their respective originals. Sonic R was ported to the PC and is unquestionably the superior version. The key here is original content.

It's like picking the best photocopy of a Rembrandt. I'll take the original, thank you.

Ok, the Saturn is more of a Jackson Pollock, but the point stands...

Nights is great. Yes, it was ported to PS3/X360 but it was designed for Saturn and even had a special controller designed just for the game. The ports don't and can't improve on it. So is Panzer Dragoon.

This sort of thing happens a lot with Saturn threads. It seems like the system just doesn't have a lot of good games, so people always bring up well the Saturn is trying really hard to run Daytona USA/Quake/it's the best it can do, so I guess it's ok.

Not anymore!

QuickSciFi
02-13-2017, 10:35 PM
This is a good example of what I was trying to avoid with this thread. This thread is about the best original games exclusive to Saturn.

There is no reason to play Quake on a Saturn in 2017. Quake was intended as a way to let poor Saturn owners get in on the Quake fun. The Saturn couldn't even handle the Quake engine, so Lobotomy simply shoehorned Quake-like maps into an old semi-3D engine. Collision detection is off and the framerate nosedives whenever anything happens. You can even land on top of enemies who will then kill you instantly.

Neither is there reason to play Virtua Fighter or Daytona USA on the Saturn. All of these are ports of games that have been ported to newer systems with more faithfulness to their respective originals. Sonic R was ported to the PC and is unquestionably the superior version. The key here is original content.

It's like picking the best photocopy of a Rembrandt. I'll take the original, thank you.

Ok, the Saturn is more of a Jackson Pollock, but the point stands...

Nights is great. Yes, it was ported to PS3/X360 but it was designed for Saturn and even had a special controller designed just for the game. The ports don't and can't improve on it. So is Panzer Dragoon.

This sort of thing happens a lot with Saturn threads. It seems like the system just doesn't have a lot of good games, so people always bring up well the Saturn is trying really hard to run Daytona USA/Quake/it's the best it can do, so I guess it's ok.

Not anymore!

Lol. I like your post. Great points. I see what you're trying to say here. But, to be fair, you should've been a lot more specific. A simple title: "Best Saturn Exclusives" would've probably fared better by your standards. Also, it's important to differentiate exclusivity, for that matter. There are so many definitions of the term; which has become excessively diluted with the years (what with all the re-releases, remasters and re-boots). But, even then, taking all the great exclusives out will still leave so many amazing multiplats (i.e.- Earthworm Jim 2, Rayman, etc..) that are still great to play on the Saturn (and some folks see them as more collectible as well, for obvious reasons). Then you'd have to differentiate exclusivity within a single company, a single system or even between companies. It's probably easier to denote "definitive" status for a game like, say, Sonic 3D Blast (which by my own definitions I consider to be on the Saturn). But by some others' definition, the PC version was better. A game like Space Harrier, for instance, may be seen in some circles as the definitive version for home consoles; still a great game, but not an exclusive. And if one were to delve deeper, then it would always boil down to the arcade version as the ultimate definitive edition... The list goes on and on ;)

...At the end of the day, every mainstream system will have multiple amazing titles (whether they're exclusive in some format or not).

But, the reason I like your post and it made me "lol" is that I've seen and lived that "conflict" of which you're referring to my entire gaming life. Even now, as I peruse the interwebs for lists of "best" or "exclusives" in modern consoles such as the PS4, Xbox One, OG Xbox, PS Vita, etc., I still get bombarded with semantics left and right. It's so hard to get even one individual to understand what exactly it is you're asking for. For instance, I've been trying my darnest as of late to make a list of Xbox 360 physical exclusives; and I keep encountering bickering arguments on the very definition of exclusivity. Then, instead of listing a whole bunch of games that one could define as "exclusive" by some standard or another, the lists become smaller and smaller as folks start saying things like "oh, but it came out on PC", or "wait, that one was an arcade game at first", or "get with the program, exclusivity is not just specific to physical media", and so on. After spending so much time browsing such lists myself, I've found it best to just sit back after I ask my question and get what best I can out of each response. ;)

Prince Talmit
02-14-2017, 12:22 AM
This thread is about the best original games exclusive to Saturn.

Well then! Daytona USA Circuit Edition
As with NiGHTS, no other rendition of the game provides the control which the game was designed to utilize. The first home racing game (iirc) with analog braking and acceleration, as well as dual monitor 2-player, and exclusive tracks, exclusive BGM options, and exclusive weather. A fantastic port and still as fun as ever. The struggles the Saturn endured to display the game as you speed through the courses is all part of the charm.
(youtube)are there no good videos of this game? LukeMorse link cable vid, a bunch of Three Seven Speedway vids, and lots of comparison vids, but no videos of advanced CE gameplay(/youtube)

VATLVA is the raddest 6-player arena-car-battle-party-game. Complex combinations of offensive or defensive weapons which require utilization of every button on the pad. Fast frenetic action. Bizarre and fun characters. 90's chunky sprite scaling, support forthe MPEG card, and Yuzo Koshiro music and production to round things out. Why is this game not talked about more?!
nz-XTb6PhpY

My favorite lesser-known Saturn exclusive is Hansha de Spark!. But I think people just don't like this game, so I'm not going to bother describing it again.
DAGNCsppbIA

And then there are the numerous other top-tier exclusive shoot-em-ups which haven't been mentioned yet Cotton Boomerang, Hyper Duel, and Blast Wind, among others.
GynLyX4yytU

Also, Saturn Bomberman Fight! is another worthwhile exclusive, but takes a backseat to regular old Saturn Bomberman.
nVlYtRSZcIs

Bones Justice
02-14-2017, 08:35 PM
One of the Saturn's strengths was it's exclusive arcade ports, though. Also, it had the superior version of many of Capcom's popular arcade ports. You can discredit that twenty years later if you want but it was a real selling point then. Plus, they added stuff to the home versions like modem play for Virtual On or hyper-mode for Fighting Vipers. And did I mention that you can choose custom colors for Virtual On:Netlink Edition? :mrgreen:

But okay, you are making the rules in this thread. I could list a bunch of exclusive titles for Saturn but you also said one game per post. So I'll start alphabetically with AMOK. This is a great mech shooter with lots of action, great graphics, and a weird world to explore.

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/games/Amok/box-Amok-us1-224x320.jpg

goldenband
02-14-2017, 08:54 PM
I put a lot of time into Ghen War recently and was enjoying it, but I eventually got fed up with & stymied by the game's autosaving/permadeath bullshit. I know there's a workaround if you save and quit after each level and back the save up to a cart but, eh.

cabear
02-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Ugh you all done made me fire up the cd burner and drag out the saturn.... Too many games to pass up.

Alianger
02-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Guys.

http://minirevver.weebly.com/sega-saturn.html

Team Andromeda
02-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Neither is there reason to play Virtua Fighter or Daytona USA on the Saturn. All of these are ports of games that have been ported to newer systems with more faithfulness to their respective originals. Sonic R was ported to the PC and is unquestionably the superior version.

I'm sorry I just don't agree . To me the Saturn version of VF is the best there is, its plays and moves as good and it's got a far better soundtrack and the best sound effects in the entire VF series . Also I see so many here go on about the Mega Drive or Dreamcast when almost all the good games have been ported to other systems either standalone titles or it retro collections.

To me VF never sounded any better than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2ReWkVpxU&t=11s

But if we want to talk Saturn only games I also quite like these games

Digital Pinball: Necronomicon

Kick ass music 704x480 super High Res visuals and a great pinball game in its own right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Tq9CJk50A&t=312s

Guardian Force

Lovely little shooter sadly overlooked by so many .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDT4DOYWOkg&t=85s

Savaki

Nice fighter that plays and controls so smooth , ace visuals too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F02qbn3Zm4Q&t=51s

Blades
02-15-2017, 05:52 PM
To me VF never sounded any better than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2ReWkVpxU&t=11s

Whoa whoa, that's VF Remix, a Saturn exclusive. Fair game.

Cool games.

Essential Games

Nights into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Sega Rally, Shining Force III, Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighters Megamix, Galactic Attack (Layer Section)/Cotton Boomerang/Batsugun/Radiant Silvergun/Battle Garegga/Darius Gaiden/Soukyugurentai, Dragon Force or Dragon Force II, Guardian Heroes/Dungeons and Dragons Collection, Street Fighter Alpha 2 or 3/Marvel Vs Street Fighter/Samurai Shodown III or IV/Vampire Savior, PowerSlave (Exhumed, PS1?), Saturn Bomberman, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo/Baku Baku Animal/Puyo Puyo Sun, Metal Slug/Elevator Action Returns/Mega Man 8 or MMX4, Shining the Holy Ark
Maybe: Bulk Slash, Virtua Cop 1 or 2, Gungriffon 1 or 2, Magic Knight Rayearth, Burning Rangers, Silhouette Mirage/Assault Suits Leynos 2/Psychic Killer Taromaru, Keio Flying Squadron 2/Rayman (PS1/JAG)/Bubble Symphony/Liquid Kids, Purikura Daisakusen, Hyper Duel/Strikers 1945 II/Thunder Force V/Sexy Parodius/DoDonPachi/Twinkle Star Sprites/Gradius and Twinbee Deluxe Packs, Pu Li Ru La/Princess Crown/Die Hard Arcade (Dynamite Deka), Virtual On, Death Tank Zwei, Dead or Alive, Real Bout Special/X-Men vs. Street Fighter/Kings of Fighters '97/Astra Superstars, Decathlete/Sega Worldwide Soccer '98, Daytona CE (JP), Lunacy

You know, the real problem with this thread is we can't go into any depth. We're limited by post length here. Not like this list, which has absolutely no information about anything.

I guess I'll just quote myself again.

Guys, while I appreciate that there's a lot of good games, a list isn't interesting at all, there are plenty of those online. I want to hear what you all think about these games.

Alianger
02-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Really?

Ok. Scroll down and click on the links to read the reviews.

Bottino
02-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Honestly, what Blades is asking for is perfectly reasonable. This is, after all, a forum about games and discussing about them we should.

Dropping a paragraph or two about your impressions regarding a game should be something natural for anyone that actually enjoy games. There's a lot of good games that came to my attention - here on in other sites - by reading peoples honest opinions about them, not the pseudo intellectual, arrogant bullshit in the vein of "I'm an expert, X game is shit, Y game is the best game ever".

I think that this helps everyone understand games on a more deeper level - not sure that's the best term for it, but whatever - beyond the pretty graphics or assine discussions about polygon counts, resolution and the likes.

For me, the more I can understand about games, the more I can enjoy them and, without discussion, there can be no such thing.

Vludi
02-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Whoa whoa, that's VF Remix, a Saturn exclusive. Fair game.
It's actually a STV port, you can hate on it now :p

Alianger
02-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Honestly, what Blades is asking for is perfectly reasonable.

He complained about the list, which is fair enough. I linked to my reviews of most of the games on it, then he pretended not to see the reviews all over that page and quoted another list right above them for no reason.

Blades
02-15-2017, 07:49 PM
He complained about the list, which is fair enough. I linked to my reviews of most of the games on it, then he pretended not to see the reviews all over that page and quoted another list right above them for no reason.

Lol are you for real?

I don't care what some idiot without grammar abilities puts on his web page.

+ Speeder level (sonic 2 bonus level style), co-op section with AI, rescue boy mission (too bad there arenít more of these), good voice acting overall, fan mail from the people you've rescued, lots of hidden victims (you can replay levels any time), great lighting effects, 2 playable characters (no difference?), jet pack (double jump or boost)

+/- Extremely cheesy story, dialogue and music

That is his review of Burning Rangers.

It's actually a STV port, you can hate on it now :p

An update titled Virtua Fighter Remix by AM1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_AM1) was released for the Saturn in 1995, and ported to the arcade later that same year.

So the arcade version is actually a port of the Saturn version.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, I had the hate engine all spooled up.

EDIT: LOL, I just realized those are your reviews. Sry brah.

Those reviews barely count as text though.

Alianger
02-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Glad you finally found the reviews, even if you needed some extra help to understand to scroll and click links. Many of them are quick drafts in pro/cons format, since the site is mainly for personal reference as explained on the main page.

Vludi
02-15-2017, 08:52 PM
So the arcade version is actually a port of the Saturn version.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, I had the hate engine all spooled up.
That's wrong though lol

Arcade: April 1995
Saturn: JP July 14, 1995 (Remix). NA October 2, 1995 (Remix)

Bones Justice
02-15-2017, 10:48 PM
I put a lot of time into Ghen War recently and was enjoying it, but I eventually got fed up with & stymied by the game's autosaving/permadeath bullshit. I know there's a workaround if you save and quit after each level and back the save up to a cart but, eh.

This looks interesting. You can really destroy parts of the landscape? And 3D enemies, too, cool. I wonder why this game was not more popular. I never heard of a game having that stuff back then.

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/0/3/2/56032_back.jpg

"Evil alien visitors turn out to be a lot less friendly than their first impression."

Well, duh, they are EVIL. :mrgreen:

QuickSciFi
02-15-2017, 11:35 PM
^Lol. Gotta love those back of the box descriptions. Sooo bad, they're good

Maybe there should be a thread about them.

Team Andromeda
02-16-2017, 03:46 AM
That's wrong though lol

Arcade: April 1995
Saturn: JP July 14, 1995 (Remix). NA October 2, 1995 (Remix)

That's wrong ;) . VF Remix came out in May 1995 for the Saturn , but at that stage it was only packed in with the special 1 million Saturns sold promotion in Japan

Team Andromeda
02-16-2017, 03:53 AM
Honestly, what Blades is asking for is perfectly reasonable. This is, after all, a forum about games and discussing about them we should.

That's fine but then he started going on about if a Saturn game is ported to another system then it shouldn't count. Other than D2 and Shenmue almost all of the Dreamcast gems have been ported to other systems, does that mean we should discount the Dreamcast or it's games, looking over that shall we discount the likes of F355, GetBass, Power Stone, Border Down, Ikaruga Ect because they started out in the Arcades 1st ? . The Mega Drive has seen almost all its main gems ported to various systems and featured in classic games collections, does that mean we should discount them, even if they were exclusive to the console back in the day.

bultje112
02-16-2017, 04:17 AM
^Lol. Gotta love those back of the box descriptions. Sooo bad, they're good

Maybe there should be a thread about them.
it's even better in europe when they translate literally from english into another language. in my case dutch, which leads to hilarious choice of words. I often read the back of these old games to friends of mine to have a good laugh

Blades
02-16-2017, 06:30 AM
Glad you finally found the reviews, even if you needed some extra help to understand to scroll and click links. Many of them are quick drafts in pro/cons format, since the site is mainly for personal reference as explained on the main page.

I saw your shitty reviews the first time. There really is no conceivable reason to put those online.

That's fine but then he started going on about if a Saturn game is ported to another system then it shouldn't count.

Do you people even read my posts.

Other than D2 and Shenmue almost all of the Dreamcast gems have been ported to other systems, does that mean we should discount the Dreamcast or it's games, looking over that shall we discount the likes of F355, GetBass, Power Stone, Border Down, Ikaruga Ect because they started out in the Arcades 1st ?

If the PS2 port of 355 is better than the DC, why would I play the DC port?

Repeated for emphasis.

The key here is original content.

The key is games designed for Saturn. I don't care what they get ported to after. The important part is that they weren't ported to the Saturn to begin with and began ground-up on the system.

Team Andromeda
02-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Do you people even read my posts.

If the PS2 port of 355 is better than the DC, why would I play the DC port?

Rep

Yes I do . Looking F355 is an Arcade port and I gather by your rules that it shouldn't be counted , the DC version is better . Exhumed on the Saturn is the best version of the game and so it should count.

The key is games designed for Saturn.

Yes many of the games listed here were, even Exhumed/Powerslave were, it started life out on the Saturn . You have a point about Duke Nukem 3D but the rest of the most people's list fits, even if some of them are ST-V Arcade ports which is Saturn hardware in the Arcades .

bultje112
02-16-2017, 08:17 AM
f355 on dreamcast and ps2 is like night and day. dreamcast version still is one of the best racing games ever made. going to play that again when I have some time.

Black_Tiger
02-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Powerslave started life as Duke 3D engine game for computer and was ported to Saturn long after it was released. I think that the Saturn version is unique enough from other versions to count though.

Team Andromeda
02-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Powerslave started life as Duke 3D engine game for computer and was ported to Saturn long after it was released. I think that the Saturn version is unique enough from other versions to count though.

It started life out using the build engine and if we're going to do down that route then Shenmue isn't a DC exclusive as it started life out on the Saturn, Halo not a XBox exclusive because it started life out as Mac game, Jet set Radio Future not a XBox exclusive because it started life out a Dreamcast game. Give me a break . Exhumed was desgined around the Saturn in the form we got to play it and the Saturn version is the best and that's all that matters

Gentlegamer
02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
I totally understand where Blades is coming from. That is generally where I fall when looking back at older systems; the "exclusive" games that you need that specific platform for.

Sometimes, though, it is cool to go back and play those other games for context/academic reasons, so maybe people can make those as separate recommendations.

gamevet
02-16-2017, 11:55 AM
That's fine but then he started going on about if a Saturn game is ported to another system then it shouldn't count. Other than D2 and Shenmue almost all of the Dreamcast gems have been ported to other systems, does that mean we should discount the Dreamcast or it's games, looking over that shall we discount the likes of F355, GetBass, Power Stone, Border Down, Ikaruga Ect because they started out in the Arcades 1st ? . The Mega Drive has seen almost all its main gems ported to various systems and featured in classic games collections, does that mean we should discount them, even if they were exclusive to the console back in the day.

There a still a lot of great, exclusive Dreamcast games.

Here are a few that come to mind.

Super Magnetic Neo
Sword of Berserk: Guts Rage
Record of Lodoss War
Red Dog
Sturmwind
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Cannon Spike
Armada
The Ring: Terror's Realm
MSR
Plasma Sword

Etc....etc....

Blades
02-16-2017, 12:48 PM
It started life out using the build engine and if we're going to do down that route then Shenmue isn't a DC exclusive as it started life out on the Saturn, Halo not a XBox exclusive because it started life out as Mac game, Jet set Radio Future not a XBox exclusive because it started life out a Dreamcast game. Give me a break . Exhumed was desgined around the Saturn in the form we got to play it and the Saturn version is the best and that's all that matters

Ok, you got me. I was thinking of Hexen, which was a Saturn port from a PC original. While Exhumed was released on PSX and PC, I don't know if the Saturn version is the best or not. If it is the best, that counts.

Lobotomy was a weird studio. Apparently they developed each version in complete isolation.

Yes I do . Looking F355 is an Arcade port and I gather by your rules that it shouldn't be counted , the DC version is better . Exhumed on the Saturn is the best version of the game and so it should count.

No, it should. If the DC version is better, that counts as a DC exclusive because it never got ported better anywhere else and most people don't want a huge arcade cabinet in their house. If the PS2 version is better then the PS2 version is better. If Sega releases a more faithful port tomorrow on PS4 (with all three displays for example...in VR...OMG), the DC just lost the crown.

ST-V ports are also fine, because they are the only home ports AND the ST-V is essentially a Saturn.

Bottom line: if the Saturn port of an arcade game is the closest to the arcade compared to other ports, then that counts.

Daytona USA was a Saturn exclusive in 1995. In 2009, Sega released Daytona USA 100% intact on PS3, and the Saturn lost the crown. The little in-between versions that were essentially remakes count as exclusives for their respective systems (except for CCE, which was also released on PC as Daytona USA Deluxe and is far superior to the Saturn version).

gamevet
02-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Is the Dreamcast version of Daytona, pretty much an exclusive as well?

Thief
02-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Is the Dreamcast version of Daytona, pretty much an exclusive as well?

I say both versions are, since they are quite different from the Arcade in gameplay too.

Blades
02-16-2017, 05:54 PM
According to Daytona USA director Toshihiro Nagoshi, Daytona USA 2001 is not a port but a remake of the original, so it really is a Dreamcast exclusive.

It's also my favorite Daytona.

The music bro the music.

Na7IFG3x-Vk&list=PL-iQqdBXJwGFALG10I09KSoV9nv-ZpdzX

Black_Tiger
02-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Daytona DC is not Daytona 2 or a straight port of the original arcade game. It was disappointing at the time, but anyone who's tried it knows it's unique.

cleeg
02-16-2017, 06:14 PM
I just started playing this again after getting a race wheel, much much better. I still needed to fiddle with the analogue calibration a bit though.

gamevet
02-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Daytona on the DC is a strange beast. I forgot that it has 3 new tracks, with one being a figure 8. There's a love hate amongst gamers about how the cars control in DC Daytona. I think the controls are alright, but they are a bit too sensitive. I had some great times playing this it online.

Team Andromeda
02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
There a still a lot of great, exclusive Dreamcast games.

Here are a few that come to mind.

Super Magnetic Neo
Sword of Berserk: Guts Rage
Record of Lodoss War
Red Dog
Sturmwind
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Cannon Spike
Armada
The Ring: Terror's Realm
MSR
Plasma Sword

Etc....etc....

Nice try , but Plasma Sword is a port of a PS , its also a port of a Arcade game much like Cannon Spike and looking over that.. I'll hardly call the likes of The Ring: Terror's Realm a DC classic

BubsyFan1
02-16-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Seaman is the only Dreamcast game anyone needs to play.

gamevet
02-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Nice try , but Plasma Sword is a port of a PS , its also a port of a Arcade game much like Cannon Spike and looking over that.. I'll hardly call the likes of The Ring: Terror's Realm a DC classic

Replace it with Jet Grind Radio (and no, Jet Set Radio is different) and Illbleed. Cannon Spike was on Naomi hardware, which is pretty much a Dreamast.

bultje112
02-17-2017, 06:21 AM
I really like daytona 2001 on dreamcast. however you absolutely need to play it with a steering wheel. otherwise it is a lot worse even if you put sensitivity all the way to 0.

the game has to have the most friendly anti depressive appeal of any game I've ever played. the music, the colors. it's amazing! was it playable online back in the day? or only ghosts? if so I hope they get it back online again

Replace it with Jet Grind Radio (and no, Jet Set Radio is different) and Illbleed. Cannon Spike was on Naomi hardware, which is pretty much a Dreamast.

you prefer rob zombie over the better more suited songs they put in pal and de la jet set radio?

Team Andromeda
02-17-2017, 07:35 AM
I'm pretty sure Seaman is the only Dreamcast game anyone needs to play.

It also came out on the PS2, so its other DC classic that was ported, Just my point

Team Andromeda
02-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Jet Set Radio is what the game was called for Pal and NTSC-J gamers and the Pal version had all the extra content from the USA version . Looking over that ST-V is pretty much a Saturn and Illbleed isn't a good game lets face it ;)

Blades
02-17-2017, 02:38 PM
It also came out on the PS2, so its other DC classic that was ported, Just my point

TA, what is your point? Initially it was your disagreement about Saturn exclusives, but once I made that clear, I don't see what else you're saying.

Black_Tiger
02-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Jet Set Radio is what the game was called for Pal and NTSC-J gamers and the Pal version had all the extra content from the USA version . Looking over that ST-V is pretty much a Saturn and Illbleed isn't a good game lets face it ;)

I believe that he meant that Jet Set Radio Future is a sequel and not a port.

gamevet
02-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant. They also dummied down the paint tagging with Future.

There's always something else you could put in there (no, that's not what she said), like Maken X. There's a bunch of quirky cool games on the DC.

bultje112
02-17-2017, 04:41 PM
and then there's stuff like samba de amigo, sega marine fishing, lack of love and tokyo highway challenge 2, all of which I have yet to see a being bested (is that a word?)

Team Andromeda
02-17-2017, 05:12 PM

The game started life out on the Dreamcast, before being moved up to XBox production.

Team Andromeda
02-17-2017, 05:12 PM
There's always something else you could put in there (no, that's not what she said), like Maken X. There's a bunch of quirky cool games on the DC.

Maxen X is a fab game, but it too was ported to the PS2 ;)

and then there's stuff like samba de amigo, sega marine fishing, lack of love and tokyo highway challenge 2, all of which I have yet to see a being bested

Samba was ported to the Wii, looking over that the game was a port of a Arcade game , muck like Sega Marine fishing which was ported to the PS2 and PC (I think) . So I think its rather silly if we're going to discount Saturn software because it was an Arcade port or ported to another system

Black_Tiger
02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
The game started life out on the Dreamcast, before being moved up to XBox production.

That doesn't make Shenmue a Saturn game.

Vludi
02-17-2017, 07:37 PM
That's wrong ;) . VF Remix came out in May 1995 for the Saturn , but at that stage it was only packed in with the special 1 million Saturns sold promotion in Japan
And that's wrong too :p, pack-in releases were released in June (http://segaretro.org/Sega_Saturn_consoles), either way, after the arcade.

BubsyFan1
02-17-2017, 07:45 PM

Only in Japan.

gamevet
02-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Maxen X is a fab game, but it too was ported to the PS2

Altus considers it a sequel.

Team Andromeda
02-18-2017, 04:10 AM
Altus considers it a sequel.

No its consider a rubbish port with a rubbish 3rd person view :). The DC version is by the best and also an overlooked underated classic

And that's wrong too , pack-in releases were released in June , either way, after the arcade.

Really did mean to say June 1995 as I still have the old Edge Mag where I 1st learned about VR Remix

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2323/32811400992_29ef4599f9_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RZr1od)2017-02-18_08-08-09 (https://flic.kr/p/RZr1od) by Mega Drive (https://www.flickr.com/photos/27368881@N00/), on Flickr

Blades
02-18-2017, 06:48 AM
This thread has failed lmao.

Thief
02-18-2017, 10:15 AM
^ So what's your point.

gamevet
02-18-2017, 11:30 AM
No its consider a rubbish port with a rubbish 3rd person view :). The DC version is by the best and also an overlooked underated classic.

It's probably running at 320 x 240 as well. Oh, the power of the PS2.

Team Andromeda
02-19-2017, 05:04 AM
It's probably running at 320 x 240 as well. Oh, the power of the PS2.

Yep. SONY the king of spins and cons :) . Dreamcast version is ace too

Anyway Deep Fear is for me one of the RE clones and overlooked and underrated classic .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxDRhm0bpQ

MegaDriver
02-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Not wanting to go off-topic but I read somewhere that Exhumed has a bug that makes the sound revert to mono during gameplay. Has anyone actually confirmed this?

Bones Justice
02-22-2017, 12:56 AM
F1 Challenge

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/F1_challenge_gamebox.jpg

This is a great F1 arcade game. It has a great sense of speed and handling. Even though the races are short because it's an arcade racer, you still get the strategy of car setup and pitstops. You can "feel" the effects of weight from fuel, wing settings, and grip of tyres as they wear out. You can plan your pit strategy for single or multiple stops.

cabear
02-25-2017, 02:24 AM
just played through sengoku blade, damn fine romp !

profholt82
02-25-2017, 10:51 AM
F1 Challenge

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/F1_challenge_gamebox.jpg

This is a great F1 arcade game. It has a great sense of speed and handling. Even though the races are short because it's an arcade racer, you still get the strategy of car setup and pitstops. You can "feel" the effects of weight from fuel, wing settings, and grip of tyres as they wear out. You can plan your pit strategy for single or multiple stops.
I agree that it is a fun game. I find the racing to be similar in feel to Daytona USA. But also like Daytona, it is such a bare bones game with few tracks and little to do. Purely an arcade racer with no depth whatsoever. I find this same phenomenon in most of the funner racers on the Saturn and it's disappointing. To think that Super Monaco GP, a very early racing title on the Genesis (1990 I believe), had so many more tracks, modes and depth to the point that it is practically 10x the game as these Saturn racers has always been baffling to me.

Sik
02-25-2017, 05:47 PM
One big problem is that a lot of the good games got stuck in Japan...

(skip to 2:28 if you don't want the opening FMV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfp2QxWde6A

GriskaGyoran
02-26-2017, 01:12 AM
There are obscure games that are surprisingly good. Like Skeleton Warriors, which is a game better than the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFNb92wMxw

Team Andromeda
03-01-2017, 03:39 PM

That game was awesome , with fab graphics and amazing sound effects . I also love this game Astra Superstars the Saturn, its features some of the best 2D graphics even seen and plays great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyHS_sZ2Iuo&lc=z12htxwqpliexd1gu04cel0ootmfwt4iul40k

profholt82
03-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Is there a good racing game on the Saturn that has more depth than F1, Daytona or Sega Rally? I love the arcade racing in those, but I'd like to play for the console that is more along the lines of Super Monaco GP as far as having a season mode, pit stops, more than just a handful of tracks, et cetera.

gamevet
03-02-2017, 01:17 PM
There's NASCAR 98, but the better version is on the PlayStation.

Team Andromeda
03-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Is there a good racing game on the Saturn that has more depth than F1, Daytona or Sega Rally? I love the arcade racing in those, but I'd like to play for the console that is more along the lines of Super Monaco GP as far as having a season mode, pit stops, more than just a handful of tracks, et cetera.

Andretti Racing is for you then , get over the Gfx and its a really deep game. Also Need for Speed, Shutokou Battle '97, Touge King the Spirits 2 are really good and VR Racing isn't that bad either

Bones Justice
03-03-2017, 02:50 AM
Andretti Racing is for you then , get over the Gfx and its a really deep game. Also Need for Speed, Shutokou Battle '97, Touge King the Spirits 2 are really good and VR Racing isn't that bad either

Andretti for Saturn has a cheat menu that lets you play longer races up to 99 laps. I don't think the Playstation version has that option. If you want realism, set the laps higher to test your endurance.

I also really like King the Spirits 2. Great graphics and excellent two player mode. Nissan GTR is also fun though I prefer the USA version of the game.

For a different twist on racing, try Tactics Formula:

https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/7/9/6/308796_front.jpg

This is like a computer version of the old Avalon Hill boardgame, Le Mans. Besides computer opponents and car setups, it adds the fourth dimension (time) to the gameplay. If you like boardgames then it's worth a look. When I was a kid, we visited a distant aunt that did not have a television. She did have a closet of old games from the 60's and Le Mans was one of them. I had never played a boardgame that didn't rely on dice to determine how far you moved before. In fact, I had never played any boardgames that I really enjoyed before this one. We were playing Le Mans with six players which is easy when there are a bunch of kids. Much harder to do as an adult but with Tactics Formula, you get computer opponents. You can play up to four human players, if you got 'em. :mrgreen:

zetastrike
03-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Wipeout and Wipeout XL would fit that description. The original is actually superior (I think) to the PS1 version because you don't lose all your speed if you touch a wall. Both games run at 20 fps on the Saturn vs 30 on the PS1 though if that's a dealbreaker. I've been playing the original on the Saturn for years and still have barely scratched the surface.