PDA

View Full Version : My Game Gear boxing project

WarmSignal
06-21-2017, 08:52 PM
So I thought I'd post this up here, and I'll update periodically as I continue boxing up my games. This is what I've been working on lately - Game Gear box replicas. This is just my Sonic games, but I plan to do all of my games soon.

Pics -13269 132681326713270

As I'm sure you all know, Game Gear boxes are impossible to find and there's no good way to display your collection. So I've taken it upon myself to spend hours painstakingly going over these things in Photoshop to make them just right. They are made to the exact size of originals and I make them with real cardboard material like old school boxes were made from. Since the original inserts were plastic trays, I decided to design something new to hold the cartridges. They will hold both a loose cart and the plastic clamshell if you have it.

In case you didn't know, I actually co-own a website called BoxMyGames where we make replica boxes for a variety of different consoles. Of course, we always either remove or brand the UPC so as to not confuse collectors or enable scamming. All of this Game Gear stuff is available over there if anyone is interested in some like these. I'll be adding as many titles to the Game Gear section as I can possibly stand to create. Ideally, all of them at some point. I'd say it's time that GG gets the recognition it deserves in folks game rooms.

Melf
06-22-2017, 10:03 PM
Those are really nice! I've been looking for a Ninja Gaiden box for the longest time. Any chance of that one being in the works?

Raijin Z
06-23-2017, 12:03 AM
Very impressive. The ability to print onto paperboard has typically been the greatest hurdle for the classic game fan looking to pretty up the collection. It's a shame that there's no small clamshell case like the Nintendo DS game case, that can be used for GG carts. Game Boy and GBA carts can be inserted into audiocassette cases, with one of the spindles removed, and there's a buttload of remade inserts for this style of case. Also too bad that no one sells the inserts for jewel cases that HuCards used.

WarmSignal
06-23-2017, 03:54 AM
Those are really nice! I've been looking for a Ninja Gaiden box for the longest time. Any chance of that one being in the works?

I can add it to my to-do list.

Sik
06-23-2017, 08:40 AM
I can't be the only one who was expecting a box game, right?

Raijin Z
06-23-2017, 09:07 AM
I was expecting an actual boxing game, as in the sweet science, fisticuffs.

Gill35
06-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Wow! Those look fantastic! I wasn't aware that anyone was offering this kind of product for the Game Gear, very interested now. Excellent work including the hang tags as well.

It's a shame that there's no small clamshell case like the Nintendo DS game case, that can be used for GG carts.

Well, they may not be as compact as the DS cases, but Custom Game Cases is developing a clamshell case for Game Gear games. They will be very similar in dimension to the original GG cardboard boxes. I'm very excited about that propect. Here's a thread with some development info http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=22412.0

xelement5x
06-23-2017, 04:44 PM
I think I saw the MegaMan one you guys had for sale on ebay previously? If that was you guys it look REALLY good, and was a bit tempted myself to grab it.

WarmSignal
06-24-2017, 12:01 AM
I think I saw the MegaMan one you guys had for sale on ebay previously? If that was you guys it look REALLY good, and was a bit tempted myself to grab it.

Yeah, I think we've sold a few of those.

Gryson
06-24-2017, 04:13 PM
These look fantastic! I'm impressed.