PDA

View Full Version : When did Game Gear get TMSS?

Salduchi
07-20-2017, 12:26 AM
I want to get a NIB game gear but I would like to get one without TMSS. Around what time frame did Game Gear get TMSS?

sull56ivan2010
07-20-2017, 02:35 AM
I'd assume around 1993. But I don't think it has the issue of playing Japanese and European games like the Genesis did. I have Pengo which works on my Game Gear despite not coming out in the US.

Salduchi
07-20-2017, 09:59 AM
I have the chance to buy a new one from 1992 that came with Sonic 1. It's new so I can't have the seller test it for me.

Guntz
07-20-2017, 10:33 AM
There's a jumper on the mainboard in later Game Gears to turn off TMSS.

xelement5x
07-20-2017, 01:59 PM
I never even realized it was a thing until now. I'm guessing those with the flat bezels are the ones with no TMSS since that's what the one in my launch pack box looks like and it appears not to have it.

ndiddy
07-20-2017, 08:46 PM
Since you'll be opening up the Game Gear anyway to replace the caps, it doesn't really matter if you have TMSS or not. If you do, you can disable it by bridging J1 on the PCB.

Guntz
07-20-2017, 11:02 PM
I never even realized it was a thing until now. I'm guessing those with the flat bezels are the ones with no TMSS since that's what the one in my launch pack box looks like and it appears not to have it.

At first I thought the flat bezels were new reproductions and that every original Game Gear had a bubbled bezel. I don't think I can get used to those flat bezels being official at one point.

xelement5x
07-21-2017, 12:17 PM
You know it's weird because it's not really that noticeable until it's in your hands and you look at it, and then you REALLY notice it if you've held a number of other game gears. I had heard about them myself but it wasn't until I pulled out an original from the box for recapping recently that I realized the difference.

lumclaw
07-21-2017, 10:42 PM
I'd assume around 1993. But I don't think it has the issue of playing Japanese and European games like the Genesis did. I have Pengo which works on my Game Gear despite not coming out in the US.

Lockout was possible, but seems not intentionally used.
Pop Breaker needs a Japanese system to recognize the start button. Except the game released before the US launch.

Some PAL Master System games have issues. Game Gear uses 60hz mode.