PDA

View Full Version : Armed/Aftermath (unreleased game) prototype for the Sega Saturn released

Wesker
10-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Armed, also known as Aftermath, is a 2D sidescroller action game developed by Point of View which was intended to be published by Interplay by both the Sega Saturn and PlayStation. A prototype for the Sega Saturn version has been discovered and released, and it's claimed that the game is essentially complete. The same person/group also has some other Sega Saturn prototypes including unreleased games (but released for other platforms) like Bedlam (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP-39qW5pqk) and Heart of Darkness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQgvj_AugM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-iMand2hkw

More details and links regarding the release here:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/armed-aftermath-for-the-sega-saturn.67009/

cleeg
10-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Can't rep you but nice share there.

gamevet
10-09-2017, 03:00 PM
It would have been nice if the guy zooomed his camera in on the screen.

Wesker
10-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Can't rep you but nice share there.

You're welcome.

It would have been nice if the guy zooomed his camera in on the screen.

Yeah, and do a horizontal recording instead of vertical. I miss that especially with the other two prototype recordings which I hope will end up released eventually.

DSwizzy145
10-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm curious about the Heart of Darkness's "Extended Memory required" i wonder what does that exactly mean?

gamevet
10-09-2017, 08:09 PM
RAM cart?

Wesker
10-09-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm curious about the Heart of Darkness's "Extended Memory required" i wonder what does that exactly mean?

RAM cart?

That's probably been tried already to no avail. The prototype owner says he has been trying to make it work for two years now and it's just recently when he figured out to pass the "Extended Memory required" screen in Yabause, only to find the game crashes after the intro.

I'm betting some dev hardware is required to make it work properly.

Team Andromeda
10-10-2017, 04:15 AM
I so wish someone would get the Waterworld Saturn beta. Remember an interview with one of the developers and he said it was one of the best looking 32 bit games ever made. Making full use of the VDP II and running at 60 fps. Also at one point Heart of Darkness was going to be a SEGA Europe Saturn timed exclusive for 6 months before it was in development hell

Wesker
10-10-2017, 08:55 AM
I so wish someone would get the Waterworld Saturn beta. Remember an interview with one of the developers and he said it was one of the best looking 32 bit games ever made. Making full use of the VDP II and running at 60 fps.

The main programmer, Steve Woita, mentioned he still keeps a build of the full finished game but isn't willing to release it unless he gets a guarantee that Universal Studios won't do anything to it.

Team Andromeda
10-10-2017, 12:28 PM
The main programmer, Steve Woita, mentioned he still keeps a build of the full finished game but isn't willing to release it unless he gets a guarantee that Universal Studios won't do anything to it.

Thanks for the info, so wish he would release it. Its meant to be a looker and really use the VDP II's

Wesker
10-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info, so wish he would release it. Its meant to be a looker and really use the VDP II's

My guess is that something similar to what's being attempted with Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures for the Mega Drive would be needed for Steve Woita to release the game. That is talking with Universal Studios to attempt a legal release and in hopes they wouldn't be as strict as Disney seems to be with the Factor 5 game.

The problem is, you can't do a Sega Saturn retail release as easy as you can do with any cartridge based console, any unprotected CD-ROM based console or exceptions in which a breach of security was discovered like the Dreamcast through the mil-CD support. The Sega Saturn CD-ROM drive has copy protection and unless you use a Sega Saturn KD02 boot disc (obviously the ones which were printed in protected discs, it's no use to do copies of those), have a modchipped console or use the Pseudo Saturn Kai cartridge, you wouldn't be able to access this sort of release, limiting the target of an already limited Sega Saturn audience.

So, the way I see it, the only options to have the Sega Saturn version of Waterworld relase are either Steve Woita eventually changing his mind or another prototype (which may be or may not be as complete as the one by Steve Woita) surfacing and being leaked by another party.