PDA

View Full Version : Mini Sonic arcade cabinet

Benjamin
11-14-2017, 10:02 PM
It's just a Raspberry Pi and a laptop screen, but I love how this looks:

https://i.imgur.com/N1EpMzA.jpg

Some video of it below along with some others. Apparently this was Kickstarter campaign. I tried a few searches here to see if this has been posted before and nothing turned up, so...

aE3-5Svc5eU

Would be tempting if he made these to accommodate a small RGB monitor. Could be a neat way to put some of those tiny PVMs no one wants to use.

Blades
11-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Neat!

QuickSciFi
11-17-2017, 02:01 AM
Looks amazing.

But...

Why 3 buttons?

midnightrider
11-18-2017, 10:00 PM
^given that it's using a Raspberry Pi, I'd imagine there's more than just Sonic on it. Though if that is the case, the real question would be "Why they don't all have 8?"(6 potential buttons depending on the game, Start and "Coin"/Select/Mode).

Benjamin
11-18-2017, 10:19 PM
I'd think it's a simple style choice to show off the different layouts available for the kits. Even though six buttons would be preferred for compatibility, the three button configuration is the iconic to the Genesis, and it keeps the panel looking cleaner than some of the others.

QuickSciFi
11-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Got it. It now makes the best sense to have those 3 buttons.

Also, how many Sonic games do you have on it?

Sik
11-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Also even if it's just Sonic: don't forget debug mode (which needs all three buttons) nor quickly revving up spindash (which needs at least two buttons, ideally all three)

Benjamin
11-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Also, how many Sonic games do you have on it?

Oh, this isn't mine. I just thought it looked neat. Even if I could afford it right now, I'd pass since it doesn't do anything special, and I'd rather play on my actual systems with a CRT.

Gryson
11-19-2017, 12:16 PM
I love the design of these, but I can't get over the 16:10 screens he's using. He states in the comments that he uses them instead of 4:3 screens because of cost, but I think that's one thing worth raising the price over.

On the Youtube thumbnail picture, you can see the Midway cab in the bottom right has a 4:3 screen which I think looks awesome, but he said that was just a prototype.

Also, on second thought, I wonder how hard it is to actually play on these since the screens are so close to the buttons and are positioned nearly vertically. I wonder if a more angled screen wouldn't work better, so that you can look down on it. Otherwise, it seems like you'd kind of have to be hunched over or otherwise have your arms really elevated to get a proper viewing angle.

But definitely a cool concept.