PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Model 2 Resets

Blades
12-11-2017, 06:20 AM
I've taken my Saturn to a friend's house a couple of times. While there, it has reset to the main BIOS screen after an in-game loading screen twice. They weren't hard resets, the Saturn just drops back to the main menu with the orbs after a game loads something. The only thing different is I use another set of video and power cables there.

This has never occurred in more than 10 years at my house. I take the Saturn home the same day and it works completely fine at my house.

What causes a Saturn to reset to the orbs screen? This Saturn has a phantom chip.

QuickSciFi
12-11-2017, 09:31 AM
It is scientifically obvious: your friend's house is haunted.

gamevet
12-11-2017, 10:36 AM
A disc read error will bring it back to the media player dashboard.

Thief
12-11-2017, 10:55 AM
I had a friend who's gaming basement was haunted.

GriskaGyoran
12-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Laser is possibly dying. Mine was doing the same thing. Changed out the laser and that fixed it.

BonusKun
12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Sounds like the laser is finally pooping out.

CrossBow
12-11-2017, 02:55 PM
If the laser on his Saturn is finally giving out, then how does that explain it working fine again once he brought it back home? He states the same day he brought it back home and it works normally again?

gamevet
12-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Was he using his discs or yours?

My launch Saturn would not work with certain games, because the laser was failing. It was only occassionally having disc read errors and I'd clean the disc and lens to get it working. A couple of months ago it would take many tries to get a game working and some games just wouldn't work at all.

Blades
12-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Same discs. I would play it for hours at home without issues. Once it gets going at my friend's house, it works fine for hours too.

What might be happening are the ribbon cables between the CD drive and phantom chip aren't making good contact. I reseated them and will see what happens. Maybe moving the Saturn around moves the cables around too.

CrossBow
12-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Also...could power be an issue? I know the Saturn has an internal power supply, but power at his friends house vs his house might play a role in this. I see it all the time with the point of sale stuff I have to service and support each day. The environment can really mess with us. Have a printer on site that stops printing intermittently and the like. Bring it back to the shop and it never misses a beat and works as intended. Take it back on site and it does it again. We eventually find out that the ground on the outlet the printer was plugged into was never properly done...customer got this corrected and their print issues went away.

So.. something is different between his house and his buddies. Just a matter of findout what and trying to replicate the environment as best you can.

zetastrike
12-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Was anyone stomping around at your friend's or doing anything else to cause a vibration? It could be as simple as the disc getting rattled by an outside force.

Eep386
12-11-2017, 08:31 PM
I trust the discs are clean?

And yes, power might be an issue. If my experience with two bad Saturn drives is any indication, power might be of critical importance.

Blades
12-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Also...could power be an issue? I know the Saturn has an internal power supply, but power at his friends house vs his house might play a role in this. I see it all the time with the point of sale stuff I have to service and support each day. The environment can really mess with us. Have a printer on site that stops printing intermittently and the like. Bring it back to the shop and it never misses a beat and works as intended. Take it back on site and it does it again. We eventually find out that the ground on the outlet the printer was plugged into was never properly done...customer got this corrected and their print issues went away.

So.. something is different between his house and his buddies. Just a matter of findout what and trying to replicate the environment as best you can.

Here is exactly what happened at my friend's house: I started the Saturn up with a test game (Daytona). The Saturn drops back to the menu without even loading a race. I'm shocked because I've never seen that before. I start it up again, the Saturn resets even earlier.

I get up, take the power plug out and put it back in, and the Saturn works fine for hours.

Another day, I bring the Saturn again and start it. Once again, within 5 minutes we're dropped back to the menu. I get up and nudge the power cable around, and it works fine for hours again.

Is it possible the power cable is bad? It's not mine.

Was anyone stomping around at your friend's or doing anything else to cause a vibration?

Nope.

I trust the discs are clean?

Yep.

gamevet
12-11-2017, 11:09 PM
That most definitely sounds like bad power. Bring a line conditioner or a small UPS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000510R4/ref=asc_df_B0000510R45298873/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0000510R4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198066815951&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3900515455193363117&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026850&hvtargid=pla-349043968964

Benjamin
12-11-2017, 11:23 PM

Can you measure the power coming out of the socket? If the console runs fine outside of the basement, then the problem not your console. I'd guess you're getting a spike which is resetting your machine.

bultje112
12-12-2017, 04:01 AM
I've taken my Saturn to a friend's house a couple of times. While there, it has reset to the main BIOS screen after an in-game loading screen twice. They weren't hard resets, the Saturn just drops back to the main menu with the orbs after a game loads something. The only thing different is I use another set of video and power cables there.

This has never occurred in more than 10 years at my house. I take the Saturn home the same day and it works completely fine at my house.

What causes a Saturn to reset to the orbs screen? This Saturn has a phantom chip.

so what you basically mean is that the system doesn't reset, it just stops reading the disc. and only at your friends house. very weird.

Thierry Henry
12-12-2017, 04:10 AM
I have a Saturn that is quirky in a different way.

It will only work and read the game disc if you turn the system on with the lid already in the open position. Then after boot up, insert the game and close the lid, and it will play the games 100% no issues.

CrossBow
12-12-2017, 09:13 AM
I get up and nudge the power cable around, and it works fine for hours again.

This is your answer right here...

You stated you nudge the power cable and it works again for a while and that the power cord isn't yours. So I would say the contacts inside the plug are worn and not making very good contact and just the internal vibration of the saturn spinning up a disc could be enough for that power connection to sever for a sec, just enough to reset it.

Use a different power cord...

Blades
12-12-2017, 09:42 AM
This is your answer right here...

You stated you nudge the power cable and it works again for a while and that the power cord isn't yours. So I would say the contacts inside the plug are worn and not making very good contact and just the internal vibration of the saturn spinning up a disc could be enough for that power connection to sever for a sec, just enough to reset it.

Use a different power cord...

But thatís the thing. A bad power connection would cause a reset, not drop me back to the menu which apparently indicates a disc read error.

Blades
12-12-2017, 09:45 AM
I have a Saturn that is quirky in a different way.

It will only work and read the game disc if you turn the system on with the lid already in the open position. Then after boot up, insert the game and close the lid, and it will play the games 100% no issues.

Is it chipped? Many chips disable themselves when started with the lid open.

Thierry Henry
12-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Is it chipped? Many chips disable themselves when started with the lid open.

No chip. I thought at first it might somehow have something to do with perhaps a faulty AR cart. But I removed the cart and the issue persists.
It's more a slight annoyance than anything else.

Blades
12-12-2017, 10:42 AM
No chip. I thought at first it might somehow have something to do with perhaps a faulty AR cart. But I removed the cart and the issue persists.
It's more a slight annoyance than anything else.

You can reseat the CD-ROM cable and see if that changes anything.

Blades
12-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Can you measure the power coming out of the socket? If the console runs fine outside of the basement, then the problem not your console. I'd guess you're getting a spike which is resetting your machine.

Why did you assume a basement lol

Benjamin
12-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Why did you assume a basement lol

Ha. It's because of this:

I had a friend who's gaming basement was haunted.

Guess it just stuck in my head. :p