PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Slash

Leynos
02-18-2018, 04:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDoKYgIYsfM

Anyone else a fan of this game? It's easily one of my favorite Saturn games. This might be a very crude comparison but I like to look at it as the SS proto Zone of the Enders. The soundtrack is awesome and has a quality to it that reminds me of Strider 2 on PS1. When people bring up good Saturn games they typically only mention the usual suspects and while nothing wrong with that. I feel this is one of the games that should be brought up. I hate saying this but if this was on PS1 I feel it's possible more would know about it. (I don't mean as PS1 exclusive) Hudson, while I do miss them, did have their hit and misses but it seems they had some real gems few have played (like Lost in Shadow on Wii). This is a game I feel should be in every Saturn owners collection.

unrelated obligatory XCX gif
https://i.imgur.com/1tHMrZI.gif

Kamahl
02-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Bulk Slash is a pretty awesome game, but I can't stand the chick who just WON'T SHUT THE HELL UP! Virtua On and Gungriffon are a lot more my style.
Saturn has a lot of really awesome mech games.

Leynos
04-10-2018, 05:43 PM
I just bought Project Nimbus on PS4 and it really feels like a cross between Bulk Slash and ZOE. Really fun so far.

Lion
04-10-2018, 05:59 PM
I remember watching quicktime videos of this game back in ancient times. It was one of those titles I really wished would've been brought over, but alas, that never happened. Never quite understood why, I thought SOA were desperate for anything 3D, and here was one game that was actually good...

zyrobs
04-10-2018, 06:06 PM
I was never impressed by it. The popup is horrible and ruins the entire immersion, and you can't see where you are going either, everything is a big bunch of emptiness on a mode 7 ground until you run into something. The UI covers up too much of the screen to enjoy the graphics anyway, and there's always that anime voiceover commenting nonstop.

Great texture quality other than that though.

MrMatthews
04-10-2018, 06:23 PM
quicktime videos

*Snicker*

(See also: Netscape & Geocities)

Team Andromeda
04-11-2018, 03:03 AM
Brilliant game, and yet another gem overlooked by SEGA America and Europe.

CrossBow
04-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Bulk Slash is a pretty awesome game, but I can't stand the chick who just WON'T SHUT THE HELL UP!

You mean she is even more annoying that Skylar from Cybermorph on the Jag?

Leynos
04-11-2018, 04:56 PM
You mean she is even more annoying that Skylar from Cybermorph on the Jag?

Nah because at least in Bulk Slash she is a rock chick. Look at that girl headbang to heavy metal!
https://i.imgur.com/0bTcBHF.gif

EmperorIng
04-12-2018, 12:32 AM
While the pre-rendered character sprite is a little goofy and the pop-up, as noted, can be ridiculous (oh there you are, spaceship boss, hiding 10ft in front of me!), Bulk Slash is probably the best action game on the Sega Saturn. Awesome, head-bangin' tunes (including the boss theme, oh yeah!), concise, awesome levels with varied scenarios and objectives, great graphics and aesthetic... About the only thing that brings the game down is that the homing missiles are pretty over-powered and kill things a bit too soon.

Great moment: giant mech boss emerges from the volcano and starts throwing fist-of-the-northstar punches at you. How's THAT for a fight?