PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Shinobi Soundtracks - NTSC vs PAL

NeoZeedeater
03-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Sonic CD's regional soundtrack variation still gets talked about but Shinobi Legions/Shinobi X's not so much.

Which do you prefer?

Shin Shinobi Den and Shinobi Legions (NTSC regions)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM61SnQMU4vyOEAieLvl5d1FYLjTmUMUG

Shinobi X (PAL regions)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUDqa6qgNinzba2puthPNWk0-NV7ayKjl

I love both soundtracks but overall I give the edge to the PAL version despite having experienced the NTSC one many years earlier. I still prefer stage 7-1 harbour music in Legions, though.

OmegaMax
03-11-2018, 01:51 PM
NTSC for me,I like the PAL soundtrack also though.

moon
03-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Wasn't even aware that the NTSC versions had a different soundtrack :o

Kind of sounds like the NTSC version is YMF292 based ( while the PAL version uses Redbook Audio )? Can anyone confirm?

Wesker
03-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Wasn't even aware that the NTSC versions had a different soundtrack :o

Kind of sounds like the NTSC version is YMF292 based ( while the PAL version uses Redbook Audio )? Can anyone confirm?

No, both of them are YMF292 based, except for the title screen and credit music tracks which are the only ones to rely on Redbook audio. But this happens in all versions, no matter the soundtrack differences.

And I think the European soundtrack is way superior and closer to the series trademark music than the original soundtrack which seems clearly sentai style inspired.

moon
03-11-2018, 03:54 PM
No, both of them are YMF292 based, except for the title screen and credit music tracks which are the only ones to rely on Redbook audio.

Alright, that makes the PAL version even more impressive ( imo ) :)

Wesker
03-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Alright, that makes the PAL version even more impressive ( imo ) :)

If you think that was impressive, take at look at both the memory constraints and tight schedule he had to deal with.

G: What was the first game that you composed on the Saturn?
R: Shinobi X on the Saturn. What happened was that they had done the Japanese version and the producer in Sega Europe said that he didn't like the music and he wanted to change it. So he played it for me and said 'Can you redo the music for this?', the only difficult thing was it was all done on the sound chip instead of CD. And I only had 2 weeks to do the whole game that consisted of about 20 tunes. I only had about 200K of memory to play with as well.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140702161039/http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/news-archive/Gaming%20Age%20Specials%20--%20Interview%20with%20Richard%20Jacques.htm

Barone
03-12-2018, 12:03 AM
No, both of them are YMF292 based, except for the title screen and credit music tracks which are the only ones to rely on Redbook audio. But this happens in all versions, no matter the soundtrack differences.

And I think the European soundtrack is way superior and closer to the series trademark music than the original soundtrack which seems clearly sentai style inspired.
This.
The European version has far better instrumentation. The original version has several mediocre tracks IMO.

Also, god damn the shitty digitized graphics. Could have been much better with proper pixel art.

OmegaMax
03-12-2018, 01:10 AM
This.

Also,the shitty digitized graphics. Could have been much better with proper pixel art.

Completely agree,shame that wasn't to be.

Team Andromeda
03-12-2018, 03:55 AM
I liked the Japanse version, simply becasue it was the 1st version I played and got used to the music. Lovely game badly letdown with crap graphics and not the best sound. Yuzo should have done the music and it should have been a showcase for Saturn 2D.

Leynos
03-12-2018, 04:04 AM
PAL hands down. The other sounds anemic.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
03-12-2018, 06:07 PM
I really like Shinobi X. It's not up there with Revenge or Shinobi III on the Mega Drive of course (or even close) but it's a solid game in it's own right and boasts a great soundtrack. As a Saturn title it could have been a lot better of course, but it could also have been a helluva lot worse!

Team Andromeda
03-13-2018, 04:47 AM
I really like Shinobi X. It's not up there with Revenge or Shinobi III on the Mega Drive of course (or even close) but it's a solid game in it's own right and boasts a great soundtrack. As a Saturn title it could have been a lot better of course, but it could also have been a helluva lot worse!

Well said, its nowhere near as bad as some love to make out. The game plays nice, but it letdown with rubbish gfx and not the best soundtrack. The early Beta version of the game also looked way better than the final build

EyeDeeNo76
03-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Should I vote NTSC because it's what I have?

Legions is a top favorite Saturn game for me for the gameplay. The live action videos in between stages are amusing too.

cabear
03-30-2018, 06:01 PM
i really like shinobi x, both soundtracks sound fine to me. i just wish it didn't have that darn mine cart level.

sjorspion
04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
PAL for me, but that the first version I played. So when I played the NTSC version it felled strange. Both soundtracks have there gems.

EmperorIng
04-25-2018, 01:24 AM
Control-wise, Shin Shinobi Den is about as good as the series got - pogo-jumping notwithstanding. Lots of cool moves. But hey, off topic! Shinobi-X's soundtrack by Richard Jacques easily takes the cake for me. While there are one or two tracks I really like in Shin, the OST on the whole is lacking and forgettable.

Lion
04-25-2018, 02:49 AM
If you think that was impressive, take at look at both the memory constraints and tight schedule he had to deal with.

G: What was the first game that you composed on the Saturn?
R: Shinobi X on the Saturn. What happened was that they had done the Japanese version and the producer in Sega Europe said that he didn't like the music and he wanted to change it. So he played it for me and said 'Can you redo the music for this?', the only difficult thing was it was all done on the sound chip instead of CD. And I only had 2 weeks to do the whole game that consisted of about 20 tunes. I only had about 200K of memory to play with as well.

That's extremely impressive. He did an amazing job, it's definitely one of the best YMF292 soundtracks I've heard.