PDA

View Full Version : Burning Rangers Music Files

cleeg
03-29-2018, 10:49 PM
I'm looking to buy this title, but the PAL version is crazy price so I'm looking to pick up the Japanese title. Often, in these circumstances, I make 'mix and match' disc image (mods, this may be dodgy ground, please shut this down if it is) using music tracks from my bought disc added to the data track from the EU or US version of the game.

Now, I'm interested to know if this game has Redbook audio for music tracks, and if the in game voice direction feature is also Redbook so I could make an English version of this game?

If not I might end up forking out....

ComradeOj
03-29-2018, 11:13 PM
I opened up my American ISO of burning rangers. There was a folder called "extra" and another in that called "wav". It has a bunch voice clips in it in wav format.

You could maybe replace these files and re-burn the image. This might not work though, as image editing/burning software might not preserve all of the data in a way that the saturn expects to see it. I tried this with a SEGA CD game once, and the software didn't preserve the code needed to boot the game and basically just burned all the files in a generic image.

zyrobs
03-29-2018, 11:42 PM
The game uses ADX for audio, I think.

Team Andromeda
03-31-2018, 05:38 AM
The game uses ADX for audio, I think.

Yes it does, but if you get the Japanse version of the game, you get the soundtrack as well

Baloo
03-31-2018, 08:52 AM
Is the Japanese music different from the US music aside from the vocal themes?

TrekkiesUnite118
03-31-2018, 11:37 AM
The game uses ADX encoding. There's plenty of tools out there for extracting and decoding that, just look for them. I used to use those kind of tools all the time to swap in music files for Phantasy Star Universe on the PC which also used ADX encoding.

cleeg
03-31-2018, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all your helpful responses, I think I'll likely get the Japanese version and tinker if I get the time.

Do I have it right that there are no Redbook tracks for in game music, but there is a bin image encapsulating the game data and then a folder of voice sample WAV files heard in game, with another set of ADX files used for music?

Also, the WAV files are the voice clips that direct your character in game (I understand that there is like, a radio feature or similar with a helper giving you directions)? If so, it's these I'd like to swap out with English equivalents.

Team Andromeda
04-01-2018, 03:57 AM
Is the Japanese music different from the US music aside from the vocal themes?

No, and the same singer does both the Japanese and Western vocals kind of like Road Adv on the Mega CD. Must say ADX was such a great tool, that sadly came just a little too late in the Saturn life.

Team Andromeda
04-01-2018, 03:59 AM
The game uses ADX encoding. There's plenty of tools out there for extracting and decoding that, just look for them.

Yeah and you can also do it for non ADX games using the soundchip, I know my mate ripped Panzer Dragoon Zwei sound files to playback on his PC.