PDA

View Full Version : Tänzer by mix256 (Mega Drive ninja action platformer) is on Kickstarter

BigEvilCorporation
05-27-2018, 04:26 PM
The "unnamed ninja game (http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2851)" over at spritesmind now has a name, and a Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/835242565/tanzer-a-new-sega-mega-drive-genesis-exclusive-gam).

The asking price is ridiculously small, hope they know what they're doing...

Crowdfunding these things is understandably a hot topic at the moment, for better or worse, but DAMN just listen to that soundtrack!

LinkueiBR
05-27-2018, 04:38 PM
Awyea this project looks amazing!
Shadow of the Beast meets Strider.

EPSYLON EAGLE
05-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Why this thread it's open in Blast Processing section, Genesis Do is the proper section for this, because i assume that most accesses are concentrated there, and more people watching the game, more easier reach the goal.

Sik
05-27-2018, 07:48 PM
Because this is the supposedly designated section for homebrew (and there had been cases where some threads got moved away from Genesis Does to Blast Processing with that reasoning).

But yeah, the forum isn't particularly consistent about that.

EPSYLON EAGLE
05-27-2018, 08:14 PM
IMO, from the moment that the kickstart begin, the homebrew game change your status to "let's try to make a commercial game", and i would put Xenocrisis, Paprium and Tanglewood in the same package.

The best for this promising project thread is to be moved to the Genesis Do section.

BigEvilCorporation
05-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Why this thread it's open in Blast Processing section, Genesis Do is the proper section for this, because i assume that most accesses are concentrated there, and more people watching the game, more easier reach the goal.

I did give it some thought, but the subtitle under this forum says 'homebrew' so I thought it best here. In hindsight, all the other Kickstarter threads are over at Genesis Does!

EPSYLON EAGLE
05-27-2018, 10:52 PM
Yeah it is your discretion to ask the administrators to move the thread there, it's just a suggestion, if you do not want i will respect :)

mix256
05-29-2018, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the post BigEvilCorporation!

It's going way over my expectations this. Happy puppy.

http://mix256.com/megadrive/ks/mainimage_600x338.png

Rockadoodle
05-29-2018, 06:24 AM
I've just backed this beauty. Love the gameplay and the music. Looking forward to the demo!!!

Pyron
05-29-2018, 10:48 AM
Shadow of the Beast meets Strider.

I have the same sensation.. beast 3 with strider/hagane
gameplay looks very cool

foxnoodles
05-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Very cool, gonna pledge for sure. Love the atmosphere and moodiness

mix256
05-30-2018, 01:27 PM
You're too kind all! The amount if energy this gives to the project is just indescribable. :)

cleeg
05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
This reminds me of Red Steel somehow. And the TV show Brave Starr. I think I'll back this...

foxnoodles
05-30-2018, 03:27 PM
This reminds me of Red Steel somehow. And the TV show Brave Starr. I think I'll back this...

Aww Brave Starr! Man I love that show (and the animated movie too)

mix256

Quick question, what's planned playtime for this game 2-3 hours? Maybe less? How many levels are planned?

mix256
05-30-2018, 03:36 PM
The Red Steel art looks awesome. Reminds me of chakan. :)
It's going to be 8 different levels with about 5 stages each with at least one branch.

foxnoodles
05-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Oh sounds awesome! Keep it up!

ironnick23
05-30-2018, 08:32 PM
This looks fun! A bit of a Ranger X feel.

mix256
06-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Was torn between doing a ranger-x type and a strider-type, actually. Strider won, even though that's not the main inspiration. :)

Bottino
06-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Love the name: TÄNZER; It has a good, imposing ring to it. Something important for an action side-scoller :)

Was torn between doing a ranger-x type and a strider-type, actually. Strider won, even though that's not the main inspiration. :)

Ninja Gaiden ? The character running animation and the fast pacing of the game reminds me of it.

mix256
06-05-2018, 05:52 AM
Love the name: TÄNZER; It has a good, imposing ring to it. Something important for an action side-scoller :)

Ninja Gaiden ? The character running animation and the fast pacing of the game reminds me of it.

I'm quite please with the name as well. Just need to make the main char dance to live up to its name. :)
Hagane was the main inspiration, but I'm working on having a ninja gaiden intro, though.

Chev Chelios
06-05-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm quite please with the name as well. Just need to make the main char dance to live up to its name. :)
Hagane was the main inspiration, but I'm working on having a ninja gaiden intro, though.

An epic introduction like Ninja Gaiden would be fantastic, I would give that suggestion.

mix256
06-13-2018, 04:15 AM
Really want to get a 1943-like cut scene in there, as well. Will try to squeeze the resources to get something like that in.

Also, we have a new enemy in the first level, what's more western than a bison? :)

http://mix256.com/megadrive/bison.png

Chev Chelios
06-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Really want to get a 1943-like cut scene in there, as well. Will try to squeeze the resources to get something like that in.

Also, we have a new enemy in the first level, what's more western than a bison? :)

http://mix256.com/megadrive/bison.png

I'm following the project in every step.
I'm very happy with the progress.
Bisons are really cool, I liked their edition, I could suggest a different color to it, maybe a dark body symbiote style of the spider man.

mix256
06-19-2018, 09:24 AM
I'm following the project in every step.
I'm very happy with the progress.
Bisons are really cool, I liked their edition, I could suggest a different color to it, maybe a dark body symbiote style of the spider man.

Thanks!
I have 4 colors left on the enemy palette here, so I will be shifting colors of some of the enemies, this one might be included in that shift. :)

In other news, a huge bug fix was made to the game this weekend. So relieved. And I might be expanding the number of demo-carts of the KS from 20 to 50. The work load for me to actually do the carts themselves has been drastically reduced. :)

Chev Chelios
06-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks!
I have 4 colors left on the enemy palette here, so I will be shifting colors of some of the enemies, this one might be included in that shift. :)

In other news, a huge bug fix was made to the game this weekend. So relieved. And I might be expanding the number of demo-carts of the KS from 20 to 50. The work load for me to actually do the carts themselves has been drastically reduced. :)

Thanks for feedback my friend.

It took me a while, but as planned, I made my contribution, it's going to be a great game.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Hi folks,
I just received an email with respect to a reward survey concerning this Kickstarter. In the survey, it gives us a choice between a North American version, an European version and a Japanese version. Has anyone seen the mockshots for these? I always worked on the assumption that the coverart would be the following with the art prominently featured from corner to corner:
https://i1.wp.com/thatretrovideogamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/tanzer-box.png?resize=680%2C423&ssl=1

I know some people care about old school North American gridlines/red candy cane strip or European blue streak. But personally favour the cover featuring the full art. I hate when the art is cut off. Has anyone seen each version of the cover art or know which version will feature the full art? Thanks in advance.

mix256
08-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Hi folks,
I just received an email with respect to a reward survey concerning this Kickstarter. In the survey, it gives us a choice between a North American version, an European version and a Japanese version. Has anyone seen the mockshots for these? I always worked on the assumption that the coverart would be the following with the art prominently featured from corner to corner

First, thanks for the support!
The other box layouts don't even exist as mockups yet (the one shown in your post is the EU one). Since you can only send out the survey once per reward-group at Kickstarter, and we needed the addresses for the ones getting a demo-cart, we had to send this question out as well.
Just take the one you think will best suit you. And when I show the layouts for the other ones and then if you change your mind, just send a Kickstarter-message and I'll note it down. Ok?

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-16-2018, 10:50 PM
First, thanks for the support!
The other box layouts don't even exist as mockups yet (the one shown in your post is the EU one). Since you can only send out the survey once per reward-group at Kickstarter, and we needed the addresses for the ones getting a demo-cart, we had to send this question out as well.
Just take the one you think will best suit you. And when I show the layouts for the other ones and then if you change your mind, just send a Kickstarter-message and I'll note it down. Ok?

Hi Mikael,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

My hope is that the NTSC version will resemble the cover art in the photograph above since the art is displayed from corner to corner. I know that there are a few people that want the grid lines and red barber-like stripes but the art is often times covered. In any case I will complete the survey by this weekend. When the layouts are finally released, I'll remember to send you an email if I decide to change the version of the game.

In closing thanks for releasing more demo carts during the Kickstarter! As a fan of the console, it is very much appreciated! Cheers!

mix256
09-01-2018, 08:53 AM
Some footage of how it's currently looking, and how it's most likely to look at the release of the demo. Due out soon. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquq98TtKhw

Chev Chelios
09-01-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm really enjoying it, I'm happy to contribute with the project.

strider1911
09-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Gameplay and art looks amazing, but I feel the game may benefit from more detailed animations for the hero character.

mix256
09-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Gameplay and art looks amazing, but I feel the game may benefit from more detailed animations for the hero character.

That has been taken care off. :)
Been contracting someone to make better animations as well as more defined. Won't make it into the demo version though.

EPSYLON EAGLE
09-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Nice SFX effects!

How can you deal with so many simultaneous sprites without flickering?

Pyron
09-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Some footage of how it's currently looking, and how it's most likely to look at the release of the demo. Due out soon. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquq98TtKhw

i lover the music and the game atmosphere..
these backgrounds art style and scrollings effects remind me the good amiga games from psygnosis,
also the art too.. also i agree that a pixel artists will add much more greatness to the project.

The gameplay looks like the strider remake, fast and multi direcional sword action and fun, but when the protagonist jumps rotation in the air (like strider) maybe be cooler hes morphin in something.. like a energy ball or ball of thorn, maybe it can be a upgrade or something. Anyway i will support and buy this game, i loved it.

mix256
09-04-2018, 04:03 AM
Nice SFX effects!

How can you deal with so many simultaneous sprites without flickering?
Thanks!
It ain't that many sprites on a single line, I guess. There are some slow downs here and there, though. Not too worried about that.
I'm using SGDK and C all the way, so I guess blast processing makes the magic happen. :cool:

i lover the music and the game atmosphere..
these backgrounds art style and scrollings effects remind me the good amiga games from psygnosis,
also the art too.. also i agree that a pixel artists will add much more greatness to the project.

The gameplay looks like the strider remake, fast and multi direcional sword action and fun, but when the protagonist jumps rotation in the air (like strider) maybe be cooler hes morphin in something.. like a energy ball or ball of thorn, maybe it can be a upgrade or something. Anyway i will support and buy this game, i loved it.
Thanks! I'm having the main character animations redrawn, giving the artist free rein on what to do so maybe the spinning morphin death will get in. :)

mix256
09-04-2018, 04:25 AM
All my answers to his post needs to be moderator-expected. What's up with that? :)
Trying again, but leaving out the quotes then so this is the short version...

Thanks to you both!
It ain't that many sprites on a single line, I guess. There are some slow downs here and there, though. Not too worried about that.
I'm using SGDK and C all the way, so I guess blast processing makes the magic happen. :cool:
I'm having the main character animations redrawn, giving the artist free rein on what to do so maybe the spinning morphin death will get in. :)

highlandcattle
10-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Yay! Downloadable demo is available for backers!

matteus
10-20-2018, 08:18 AM
https://youtu.be/kew3kSmIgfQ

Alianger
10-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Is the digital copy a rom for emulators or what?

ironnick23
10-23-2018, 10:54 AM
Wow this game is coming along! Color palette is certainly unique and refreshing. +1 to adding detail to the hero animations. Looking forward to it’s release

matteus
10-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Is the digital copy a rom for emulators or what?

It's getting a cart release and ROM release. Those who backed at a certain level got beta release ROMS too :) Such as me!

stika
01-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that this Thursday at 9PM UK time / 4PM EST I'll be interviewing Tänzer's lead developer on a livestream and playing an early demo build of the game.

Be sure to come by and ask all your Tanzer related questions :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYoxeAbX0Y

matteus
01-09-2019, 04:42 AM
Always happy to see this game getting some attention. Mikael's work is a passion project and it shows in Tänzer.

chilled
11-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Hey so is there a demo rom freely available somewhere? Also do people who bought the cart after kickstarter (like me) do have access somehow to the full rom? I'm playing on RH but would like to have the rom for when I'm on the go with my rpi + megapi case + blast16 os (or the Mini when a stable jailbreak is released).
Thanks!