PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast games with verified surround sound

Yharnamresident
06-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Finally managed to hook up my Dreamcast to my home theatre. So I will be personally verifying which games have surround sound, whether its undocumented or documented(says on game case).

The most common format is Dolby Surround(Pro Logic I), because the Dreamcast was discontinued before Dolby Pro Logic II became popular in 2001/2002.

https://i.imgur.com/sUGzB4gl.jpg

Undocumented:
-Virtua Tennis(lots of centre channel use)
-Sega GT(actually uses rear channels for rival car noises)
-Test Drive Le Mans(surround effects seem to be amped up during replays)
-Metropolis Street Racer(game intro sounds impressive, but the rest of the game has rather scarce surround effect)
-Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2(the music is mixed in surround like Ridge Racer V)
-Ikaruga(the game has constant surround effects, can/should be cited as a Dreamcast game with full surround sound)

Documented:
-NHL 2K
-NHL 2K2

I will be updating this list as I go through more games

Yharnamresident
10-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Added Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

I've come to the conclusion that most games use Dolby Surround encoding, what depends is if they actually do anything impressive with the encoding.

Yharnamresident
10-10-2019, 02:27 PM
I've discovered something substantial that makes me glad I made this thread.

Ikaruga is absolutely loaded to the brim with surround effects. Its a quantum leap over the other games I've tried. Stuff like corridors opening, enemies falling off screen, entering new areas, its very well done. This game must be included in any Dreamcast surround sound lists.

GohanX
10-10-2019, 05:28 PM
How are you verifying that they were actually created with surround encoding? Pro Logic or DTS surround modes in a receiver can apply processing to pretty much any stereo source, doesn't mean the designers were giving the faintest thought to rear channels when they were designing the audio. Try going through time in Sonic CD, it sounds pretty amazing in surround but I can guarantee you Sega did not give the slightest care to surround sound in 1993.

Yharnamresident
10-10-2019, 10:41 PM
How are you verifying that they were actually created with surround encoding? Pro Logic or DTS surround modes in a receiver can apply processing to pretty much any stereo source, doesn't mean the designers were giving the faintest thought to rear channels when they were designing the audio. Try going through time in Sonic CD, it sounds pretty amazing in surround but I can guarantee you Sega did not give the slightest care to surround sound in 1993.

Well it should be pretty obvious that I'm relying upon my personal observations. AKA take it with a bit of salt. I will say that a lot of the things I mention are practically impossible for the receiver to come up with on its own.

Team Andromeda
10-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Try going through time in Sonic CD, it sounds pretty amazing in surround but I can guarantee you Sega did not give the slightest care to surround sound in 1993.

Yeah NiGHTS on the Saturn can give some great surround, while not supporting in it. In 1993 SEGA seemed more focus on Q-Sound I did like how some EA Mega-CD games used Surround sound officially.
FIFA on the Mega CD was quite impressive in sound sound

Yharnamresident
10-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Yeah NiGHTS on the Saturn can give some great surround, while not supporting in it. In 1993 SEGA seemed more focus on Q-Sound I did like how some EA Mega-CD games used Surround sound officially.

Thanks for the idea TA, there also has to be surround sound list threads for the Saturn and Sega CD. I will eventually create them if they aren't already created.

Ecco
10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
How about Ecco on Dreamcast? I bet it's loaded with surround-sound effects...

Ecco
10-11-2019, 08:53 PM

^I never really checked specifically for surround sound effects, but years ago, I remember that FIFA on Sega CD, had really nice sound effects in general. The crowd cheering real audio recordings. I remember the audio was relaxing, and realistic.

Yharnamresident
10-12-2019, 12:22 AM
How about Ecco on Dreamcast? I bet it's loaded with surround-sound effects...Well personally I lack the motivation to check, that game genre just isn't my style. But maybe TA has a Dolby receiver hooked up where he could check.

^I never really checked specifically for surround sound effects, but years ago, I remember that FIFA on Sega CD, had really nice sound effects in general. The crowd cheering real audio recordings. I remember the audio was relaxing, and realistic.The possibility of surround sound on the Sega CD never popped in my head, even though its clearly a good match for it, CD storage space and multiple PCM channels.

Team Andromeda
10-12-2019, 04:31 AM
Well personally I lack the motivation to check, that game genre just isn't my style. But maybe TA has a Dolby receiver hooked up where he could check.

The game doesn't support Dolby in software/hardware. You do get some nice effects mind (but its not coded in) it's just a quirk of using a sound system
There's some nice Q-Sound support in the likes of D2, Pen Pen, Sonic Adv mind . I'm not sure if they were brought over to the USA/Pal versions