PDA

View Full Version : The House of the Dead appreciation thread

Moirai
07-05-2018, 01:36 AM
The Saturn version of the game is criticized for having poor quality textures and many missing objects and animations but personally I absolutely it. On some level I love it for its badness, in the same way that I laugh at a really bad b-movie. Maybe not worth spending several hundred dollars on unless you’re a die hard fan, but it works perfectly with a pseudosaturn.

I actually modded my Stunner with one of those arcade quality switches just to play this game. And maybe some death crimson.

Leynos
07-05-2018, 01:53 AM
I honestly never played the Saturn version. Just the arcade version but I loved it and 2 but never really played the series after that. Not played 3 or Overkill. The horrendous voice acting is part of the charm as it fits better with the B movie premis. I don't remember which game changed the blood to green. It is kinda strange how much of a downgrade it is on Saturn.

Moirai
07-05-2018, 02:12 AM
I honestly never played the Saturn version. Just the arcade version but I loved it and 2 but never really played the series after that. Not played 3 or Overkill. The horrendous voice acting is part of the charm as it fits better with the B movie premis. I don't remember which game changed the blood to green. It is kinda strange how much of a downgrade it is on Saturn.

The US version has a setting for red blood.

Japanese is stuck with green

bultje112
07-05-2018, 04:53 AM
I own the pal version but I can't stand how butchered it looks. I always play the second game on the dreamcast and virtua cop 2 on the saturn. that last one really shows what the saturn can do.

if you love how cheesy it is then be sure to also get zombie revenge on the dreamcast, which plays in the same universe. really great game.

Team Andromeda
07-05-2018, 05:07 AM
Saturn version is ace, even if looks rough.... Its play great and features everything from the Arcade game and plays and feels like the Arcade game. It also makes some of the best use of the Saturn sound hardware , with amazing chip music and sound effects

Sik
07-05-2018, 10:21 AM
I can't say much since I only played the PC version (with a couple of audio tracks bitrotten, argh - disc came like that >:​/).

Does the Saturn version also pull off the bullshit where your score gets reset to 0 if you get hit even once? (not on continuing, just a miss)

Moirai
07-05-2018, 10:48 AM
I can't say much since I only played the PC version (with a couple of audio tracks bitrotten, argh - disc came like that >:​/).

Does the Saturn version also pull off the bullshit where your score gets reset to 0 if you get hit even once? (not on continuing, just a miss)

I no longer buy vintage disc based games. Archival grade CDRs only.

Taiyo Yuden/JVC

Moirai
07-05-2018, 10:49 AM

What? No not at all...

Silanda
07-05-2018, 02:17 PM
I no longer buy vintage disc based games. Archival grade CDRs only.

Taiyo Yuden/JVC

Some discs are just defective since manufacture. My PC versions of Sonic 3D and Ray Storm both have popping in the audio tracks, and my copies of House of the Dead and Sonic R have no CD audio at all. What do they all have in common? Same publisher.

As for the Saturn version of HotD - an ugly looking port that I wouldn't spend too much money on personally, although it plays okay.

Moirai
07-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Some discs are just defective since manufacture. My PC versions of Sonic 3D and Ray Storm both have popping in the audio tracks, and my copies of House of the Dead and Sonic R have no CD audio at all. What do they all have in common? Same publisher.

As for the Saturn version of HotD - an ugly looking port that I wouldn't spend too much money on personally, although it plays okay.

I had a copy of Sonic Heroes for GameCube that was unbeatable due to a defect... mint disc.. one switch wouldn’t open a door you were required to go through...

Sik
07-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Yeah I get the impression my disc was already defective from the get-go (which is probably why it was cheap). Note that I don't mean the tracks skip or anything, they outright play noise (in a small portion in track 10, nearly all of it for track 12 - EDIT: wait just checked track 11 and yeah that one is nearly entirely noise @_@). The rest of the disc is fine, and seems to have remained in the same state in over a decade (as I was copying over the files some months ago just fine - was thinking on ripping the data track and putting it together with downloaded versions of the audio tracks).

Also I can't even tell what version I have... disc claims to be Japanese, but game is in English and the box cover doesn't match any of the PC ones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Dead_(video_game)) (but it's in English and even mentioned Voodoo support). And it does look like it's too high quality for a random bootleg (as I said, it was defective so that may be the reason why it was circulating around cheap). Not sure if I still have the cover around, but I have the disc, I may take a pic of it later.

EDIT: scratches aside (disc has seen some abuse :​v), I don't think those gaps in the tracks are normal... (and yes, they're under the scratches, the tracks themselves seem to have come out like that) So I guess that yes, probably a defective disc.

https://i.imgur.com/j3hkLrT.jpg

Moirai
07-06-2018, 02:33 AM
Yeah I get the impression my disc was already defective from the get-go (which is probably why it was cheap). Note that I don't mean the tracks skip or anything, they outright play noise (in a small portion in track 10, nearly all of it for track 12 - EDIT: wait just checked track 11 and yeah that one is nearly entirely noise @_@). The rest of the disc is fine, and seems to have remained in the same state in over a decade (as I was copying over the files some months ago just fine - was thinking on ripping the data track and putting it together with downloaded versions of the audio tracks).

Also I can't even tell what version I have... disc claims to be Japanese, but game is in English and the box cover doesn't match any of the PC ones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Dead_(video_game)) (but it's in English and even mentioned Voodoo support). And it does look like it's too high quality for a random bootleg (as I said, it was defective so that may be the reason why it was circulating around cheap). Not sure if I still have the cover around, but I have the disc, I may take a pic of it later.

EDIT: scratches aside (disc has seen some abuse :​v), I don't think those gaps in the tracks are normal... (and yes, they're under the scratches, the tracks themselves seem to have come out like that) So I guess that yes, probably a defective disc.

Sounds like you need to download an ISO brah.. darkwater rips FTW

cabear
09-06-2018, 10:18 PM
i have the saturn version and 2 light guns yet i cant seem to find them! It's pissing me off pretty hardcore. I loved the house of the dead, the later ones got lame but 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

typing of the dead is pretty cool too and a legit way to get a girl who may not like games to give it a try. pretty fun time!

zyrobs
09-07-2018, 01:07 AM

It depends on how the disc is mastered, but having visible gaps between the audio tracks is perfectly normal. I remember looking at how pretty they were back in 1991 on the first CDs I got. They reminded me of the gaps on vinyls.

bultje112
09-08-2018, 08:01 AM
i have the saturn version and 2 light guns yet i cant seem to find them! It's pissing me off pretty hardcore. I loved the house of the dead, the later ones got lame but 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

typing of the dead is pretty cool too and a legit way to get a girl who may not like games to give it a try. pretty fun time!

oh man that sucks. this talk makes me want to play some virtua cop 2 right now though. fortunately my lightguns are ready to go. nothing beats dual wielding bad ass mode.

Moirai
09-08-2018, 09:00 PM
oh man that sucks. this talk makes me want to play some virtua cop 2 right now though. fortunately my lightguns are ready to go. nothing beats dual wielding bad ass mode.

Am I weird that I preferred just using one gun? Way easier to aim accurately

In the house of the dead I can get further With one gun and than I can with two

Team Andromeda
09-09-2018, 04:55 AM

Game plays better with one gun, but its more fun with 2 imo. Speaking of HOTD on the Saturn. I have to say its one of the best sounding games on the system and all the music is coming off the soundchip, which a lot of people overlook as it sounds so good

Mega Drive Bowlsey
09-09-2018, 08:25 AM

It feels very cool to play a light gun game holding two guns, but you can't aim for shit and your accuracy suffers massively as a result. Still feels fucking awesome though!

bultje112
09-09-2018, 08:48 AM

no 1 gun is better since you can only focus on one gun anyway. but 2 guns make me feel more bad ass standing in front of the tv.

Moirai
09-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Game plays better with one gun, but its more fun with 2 imo. Speaking of HOTD on the Saturn. I have to say its one of the best sounding games on the system and all the music is coming off the soundchip, which a lot of people overlook as it sounds so good

Finally, someone else who is in the know on this... amazing music.. ive noticed a few glitches with it here and there though, like in the second boss battle

Mega Drive Bowlsey
09-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Just added this game to my collection today. My first impressions are that although this Saturn port of the arcade game took a major hit in the graphics department, it sounds fantastic and the gameplay is spot on. I'm not very good but I'm having fun with it! I like how there are lots of different routes to take through each stage, which enhances the replay value of the game. I'm not a total novice to the HOTD series, I used to play HOTD 2 all the time on my Dreamcast back in the day.

Team Andromeda
09-12-2018, 03:43 AM
Finally, someone else who is in the know on this... amazing music.. ive noticed a few glitches with it here and there though, like in the second boss battle

The Music is amazing and so many think the music is coming off the CD and is CD-DA, but its all coming off the chip and it's totally brilliant. The game might look a little rough, but it plays great and plays just like the Arcade and its totally brilliant and fun to play.

Team Andromeda
09-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Just added this game to my collection today. My first impressions are that although this Saturn port of the arcade game took a major hit in the graphics department, it sounds fantastic and the gameplay is spot on. I'm not very good but I'm having fun with it! I like how there are lots of different routes to take through each stage, which enhances the replay value of the game. I'm not a total novice to the HOTD series, I used to play HOTD 2 all the time on my Dreamcast back in the day.

Well done, the game is fab and it does sound amazing

Moirai
09-12-2018, 11:47 AM
https://i.imgur.com/XMI4kWg.jpg

The next level

TrekkiesUnite118
09-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Honestly the talk of Disc Rot is a bit silly. While it can and does happen, it's a very specific issue that's due to a defect in mastering. If you get a disc that doesn't show any signs of disc rot and you take good care of it, odds are it's not going to start showing any signs of disc rot.

Team Andromeda
09-14-2018, 05:27 AM
https://i.imgur.com/XMI4kWg.jpg

The next level

Quite, the Stunner is the best lightgun going. I just wished more games made use of it. SEGA really should have brought the likes of Line of Fire and Aliens the Gun game to the Saturn.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
09-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Quite, the Stunner is the best lightgun going. I just wished more games made use of it. SEGA really should have brought the likes of Line of Fire and Aliens the Gun game to the Saturn.

Do you mean Alien 3:The Gun? That was an awesome arcade game by Sega, and would have been a real treat on the Saturn! Same goes for Sega's excellent Jurassic Park arcade games. They would have been perfect for a Saturn port.

Superrayman3
09-14-2018, 12:51 PM
I can't say much since I only played the PC version (with a couple of audio tracks bitrotten, argh - disc came like that >:​/).Was your PC copy the one published by Xplosiv because I had the Xpolsiv release and experienced the exact same kind of bitrotten issues with the audio on my copy and if your copy is from the same publisher it might be a printing defect and not an isolated incident.

Team Andromeda
09-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Do you mean Alien 3:The Gun? That was an awesome arcade game by Sega, and would have been a real treat on the Saturn! Same goes for Sega's excellent Jurassic Park arcade games. They would have been perfect for a Saturn port.

Yeah Aliens3 the gun game. Was really hoping for a Saturn port. Its a shame the planned Gun Blade NY Saturn port was cancelled . That would have been another great game for the Stunner

Moirai
09-14-2018, 01:05 PM
I doubt Jurassic Park the lost world (1997) wouldve worked very well on Saturn, it was a model 3 game with very complex character models and animations etc... more likely a dreamcast port wouldve been made.

bultje112
09-14-2018, 06:51 PM
some decisions of sega were just baffling though. like why the fuck was there no daytona usa 2 port on the dreamcast?

Team Andromeda
09-15-2018, 01:24 AM
some decisions of sega were just baffling though. like why the fuck was there no daytona usa 2 port on the dreamcast?

Some of them were. But I gather the main reason for no Daytona USA 2 on the Saturn was the game didn't sell that great in the Arcades.

Team Andromeda
09-15-2018, 01:28 AM
I doubt Jurassic Park the lost world (1997) wouldve worked very well on Saturn, it was a model 3 game with very complex character models and animations etc... more likely a dreamcast port wouldve been made.

That was so silly by SEGA. Jurassic Park, the Lost World is the best light gun game ever made and should have been ported to the Dreamcast, along with Ocean Hunter. I can only thing that the console/home rights of both Aliens and Jurassic Park were the main issues; with Acclaim holding the rights to Alien 3 and Dreamworks The Lost World.
Still doesn't explain the lack of Ocean Hunter, Gun Blade NY on the DC or the likes of No Golden Axe III, Super Hang-on, Line of Fire, Arabian Fight on the Saturn though...

Moirai
09-20-2018, 07:30 PM
Ive heard certain people say Saturn house of the dead has “bad” gun response or “wonky calibration”... i read this on SS UK forum... what?!? I always thought it felt fine, no different than any other light gun game on saturn..

EmperorIng
09-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Bump. I am trying to get into this game more with a new Stunner (my previous stunner is having problems and I don't know how to open it up/try and fix it). I managed that set that has the stunner plus the two Virtua Cops.

I think the only thing House of the Dead is missing is weapons beyond your base gun. It kind of makes things feel a little drier without the possibility of a zany weapon to mow down enemies. I guess the tradeoff is that it keeps the pressure on.

I don't know if I suck at aiming, but some of the boss weak-points are extremely hard to manage with the stunner on my Trinitron. Aiming, I will say, doesn't feel as forgiving as it does on the Virtua Cop games, which might be an echo of the complaint above that the gun calibration on HOTD feels 'off.'

xelement5x
09-04-2019, 11:26 PM
I think they made the bosses a bit more particular in the home port. I can finished the first boss pretty easily, but as I move forward I have a harder time hitting the weak points. The final boss is just ridiculous if I remember correctly, parts zipping all over the place that are very hard to hit. Maybe there's a better pattern but I never really figured it out.

Heresy Dragon
10-01-2019, 10:02 AM

I purchased a brand new version of HotD for PC like that back in the 90s. The CD audio tracks skipped and some of the later ones were just noise. I remember the gaps in the tracks like that too. Seems like there was a bad print run.

Heresy Dragon
10-01-2019, 10:05 AM

Actually, all the music in HotD Saturn is streaming off the audio CD. Put it into your CD player and have a listen.

TheDeath
12-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Do you think i might have an obsession for this game/saga? :D
[/IMG]15213

Team Andromeda
12-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Actually, all the music in HotD Saturn is streaming off the audio CD. Put it into your CD player and have a listen.

It's not ,that's a bonus .Play it on a Model one Saturn and see that the music is off the chip as the game streams in data in-game .

zyrobs
12-07-2019, 11:18 PM

The game itself is streaming adpcm files off the data track, burn a copy with no cd audio tracks and it'll still play music fine.