PDA

View Full Version : HARD STUFF: NBA ACTION Ď98

Moirai
07-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Now hereís one hell of an underrated game. Impressive graphics, addictive arcade-like gameplay... this game actually gets me excited at times like getting a best time in Daytona...it has tension... strategy.. I donít normally play basketball games ever but this title may have converted me..

This game is so underrated it was difficult to find an exactly perfect disc image online... a lot of places nobodyís bothered to upload it I think..

Team Andromeda
07-08-2018, 03:26 AM
I think its a brilliant game and really looked good too. So much for the Saturn couldn't do 3D

bultje112
07-08-2018, 04:42 AM
oh man I got this game like only 2 years ago and it is by far the best basketball game of the 90s and early 2000s. better than the first 2k games as well. there's so much strategy, so many passing and playing options. very deep gameplay. the game is crazy good and also it has like the best fmv quality I've ever seen on a saturn. very impressive graphics as well of that time and based on one of the greatest nba seasons of all time: 1997.

Moirai
07-08-2018, 12:37 PM
oh man I got this game like only 2 years ago and it is by far the best basketball game of the 90s and early 2000s. better than the first 2k games as well. there's so much strategy, so many passing and playing options. very deep gameplay. the game is crazy good and also it has like the best fmv quality I've ever seen on a saturn. very impressive graphics as well of that time and based on one of the greatest nba seasons of all time: 1997.
What would you say is the main difference between this and the 2K games on Dreamcast? I always heard from people the DC ones were better

cowboyscowboys
07-08-2018, 03:11 PM
This game is also on PS1 as NBA Fastbreak 98'. Definitely a great game.

Moirai
07-08-2018, 03:17 PM
This game is also on PS1 as NBA Fastbreak 98'. Definitely a great game.

shhhhhh

Itís a sega exclusive

cowboyscowboys
07-08-2018, 04:10 PM
shhhhhh

Itís a sega exclusive

Kobe Bryant is exclusively on the cover haha

Sega Sports was pretty good in 98' with World Series Baseball 98' and NHL All-Star Hockey 98' as well. To bad they couldn't complete it with a great football game but Madden 98' was nice. Way to late unfortunately in Sega's case.

bultje112
07-08-2018, 05:57 PM
What would you say is the main difference between this and the 2K games on Dreamcast? I always heard from people the DC ones were better

in the 2k games you can only do basic passes. you have 4 buttons and can mix it up with L trigger to pass to certain positions. nba action 98 goes way further. perhaps too far for easy pick up and play. you have 6 buttons plus all buttons combined with triggers do all different things. I have everything packed way right now because I'm moving but when I have everything set up I get back to this.

Moirai
07-08-2018, 08:41 PM
in the 2k games you can only do basic passes. you have 4 buttons and can mix it up with L trigger to pass to certain positions. nba action 98 goes way further. perhaps too far for easy pick up and play. you have 6 buttons plus all buttons combined with triggers do all different things. I have everything packed way right now because I'm moving but when I have everything set up I get back to this.

Interesting they went the simplification rout with the sequel... youíd think the Saturn game would have a cult following like the DC 2K games but nobody seems to talk about Ď98

Leynos
07-09-2018, 01:28 AM
Man that era where everyone had their own exclusive sports franchise. Kobe Bryant even had his own series. NBA Courtside. Jeez, even tho they made mediocre games I even miss 989. I even miss the crappy NFL QB Club from Acclaim. So much competion. One series I miss is NFL Blitz. I know that new NBA Playgrounds is going for that NBA Jam feeling but it doesn't look that good. Not that big into Basketball but the most recent one I tried was 2k15 and I just cannot get into it. Way more sim than I wanted.

Moirai
07-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Man that era where everyone had their own exclusive sports franchise. Kobe Bryant even had his own series. NBA Courtside. Jeez, even tho they made mediocre games I even miss 989. I even miss the crappy NFL QB Club from Acclaim. So much competion. One series I miss is NFL Blitz. I know that new NBA Playgrounds is going for that NBA Jam feeling but it doesn't look that good. Not that big into Basketball but the most recent one I tried was 2k15 and I just cannot get into it. Way more sim than I wanted.

Oh god thanks for reminding me of quarterback club on Saturn... what a mess...

And I agree, the moment sports games become sims they are pretty much ruined for me. Thatís why I like nba action Ď98... It has that arcade feel but with a bit of added complexity... great fit for the saturn

Team Andromeda
07-20-2018, 05:02 AM
Oh god thanks for reminding me of quarterback club on Saturn... what a mess...

I didn't think it was that bad. I agree with you on the sim aspect though. Games like Madden and Ice Hockey have gotten too deep now and part of the fun been killed. I like the mix of Arcade and sim gameplay seen in 32bit sports games like NBA Action 98. Have to say as well that NBA Action is another SEGA Sports game that up to 10 players can play at the same time. That was another great feature of the Saturn and how one could use 2 Multi-Taps linked up for 10 player battles in games like this and Bomberman Ect...