PDA

View Full Version : Fave Saturn games?

Leynos
10-02-2018, 03:33 AM
I have to admit. I may own like 40 or so Saturn games. Most of them are RPGs or fighting games as those are the most affordable. Sadly so many Shmups I'm just not able to buy. So I might have picked something else if I had a larger selection. That said despite my avatar and sig and I do own Assualt Suit Leynos 2 on the thing, least liked the game in the series. I love Virtual On sure but I like the DC game a lot more. So my fave game on the system for similar reasons as Strider 2 on PS1 is Bulk Slash. The main character is a 2D sprite with 3D environments and a fun action game I can always replay. I look at the game as a primitive sorta prototype for games like Zone of the Enders. Music again has that 90s feel of synth/midi whatever it's called. My fave era of gaming music. Like the PS1 topic if this takes off I have more games to mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJK8mJKnbo&t=60s

Guardian Heroes is my other favorite game on the system. I won't post the OST since you all know it. It was Treasure at their peak. While we never got a full-blown worthy sequel, Code of Princess is as close as we got. Such an addictive game and I don't know how many times I played it on Saturn and Xbox 360. Not much I can say about GH that's been said before but it's easily one of my fave game son the system.

Blades
10-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Has anyone played anything from the Japanese launch?

Team Andromeda
10-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Has anyone played anything from the Japanese launch?

Still, have my launch Saturn with the 2 Launch games I got with it (Tama and VF) VF was off the chart amazing in Nov 94 and even Tama was ok: Just think of it as a very primitive precursor to Moneyball

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1933/43242193880_86f67a12e0_o.jpg

Team Andromeda
10-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Anyone I have over 300 Saturn games and these would be my Saturn top 10 titles

1). Panzer Dragoon - My fav game of all time. I love the game setting the use of Dragons and the sense of companionship with the player and his Pet Dragon, how it was just you and the Dragon against the whole world (well the Empire) . The best art direction in the series, the best boss battles, the best intro to any game ever and an amazing soundtrack to boot

2). Soukyugurentai - The best shooter ever made, for the shooting GODs that were RAIZING. Its my most played game of all time and I still love it and play it on a monthly basis.

3). Exhumed - The best FPS ever made, still to this day. With Mario IV levels of level design perfection and a brilliant mix of Platform, Metroid and FPS style of games. Such a shame, still to this day many class it as just 'A Doom clone set in Egypt'

4). Decathlete - The best 2 player sports game of the 32Bit gen and the best ever track and field game. Plus it looks and runs like a Model 2 game too

5). SEGA Rally - No other game will ever match or beat this game perfect car handling.

6). Panzer Dragoon Saga - The best RPG of the 32bit gen, with most prob the best music score to any game ever

7). Radiant Silvergun - The best showcase game ever made and a true 2 finger gesture, to those who said the Saturn couldn't do 3D, couldn't match the PS and the Saturn was hard to programme for. This game was just the work of 6 staff, using modelling 3D tools downloaded off the internet for free.

8). Duke Nukem 3D - The best version of one of the best FPS's ever made. SEGA really should have added Lobotomy to their In-House teams after this game

9). Resident Evil - Plays and controllers better than the PS version and the extra content was just fab

10). Panzer Dragoon Zwei - The writing on the game disc said it all 'Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of the best 3D shooting games available Presented for your pleasure'

Bloodreign
10-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Puyo Puyo Sun (have these on PS1 as well, because I love Puyo Puyo) - because 2 great puzzle games with an insane cast, and high difficulty is quite fun

Magical Drop 3 (also on PS1, it's a tad different, and great there too)- more great puzzle action

Elevator Action Returns - nothing like playing spy, gunning down enemies out to kill you, while diffusing bombs. Plus it comes with the original EA as well.

Liquid Kids- absolutely perfect home port from the arcade. Fantastic game.

Bubble Symphony - arcade perfect, plus it can be played in English via code, if you love Bubble Bobble, you'll love this. This same code also works on Liquid Kids, and Elevator Action Returns (unlocks the original game without beating EAR).

King of Fighters 97 - if you can live with slightly higher pitched audio for the voices, the game itself is quite solid.

Samurai Spirits 4 Amakusa Kourin - great samurai action, everyone knows what the series is about by now. The Saturn port is pretty amazing, other than slightly lower quality voice audio.

Pocket Fighter - Though there's a better emulated version on alpha Anthology on PS2, this version is quite solid. Sadly creeping up in price these days though.

Rockman 8 - the game gets flack, mostly due to the US voice acting on the US PS1 version, but the Japanese version has a more natural sounding voice cast. Having 2 optional older bosses in the game, Wood and Cutman give it a bit more oomph over the PS1 version. Avoid Super Adventure Rockman on the Saturn though, there's a big batch of bad press discs that are still floating out there. I had one a friend got me, but he found the error first, and told me to send him back the Saturn copy, and he traded it for a PS1 version for me.

Layer Section- simply one of Taito's best shoot em ups for the Saturn. The game feels, and looks like a work of art, and is simply marvelous to look at and play.

Battle Garegga - great game, stupidly expensive price tag though. But for what it is, one of the best horizontal shmups on the the Saturn, right next to Layer Section of course.

Darius 2 - if you can get over the weird zoom in/out feature, and not go blind by the zoom out, you'll find a fantastic horizontal shmup.

Darius Gaiden - one of the cheapest Saturn shmups still out there, amazing game.

Metal Black - another hori shmup from Taito, very dark atmosphere, and a bit difficult to get through.

Moirai
10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Panzer Dragoon, on WIZARD MODE

Blades
10-03-2018, 08:18 PM
3). Exhumed - The best FPS ever made, still to this day. With Mario IV levels of level design perfection and a brilliant mix of Platform, Metroid and FPS style of games. Such a shame, still to this day many class it as just 'A Doom clone set in Egypt'

Well, now I have to try it. Wasn't it originally on PC?

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon, has anyone heard this CD? It is fantastic.

https://rpuheg.by.files.1drv.com/y4meE6q62O1Vx_Zak0h1w03GzKaTGeWG0tWJyKD96a-0SgwSQZh7vwFoNQFG4Oo0ce8WoOJV0gadq-gGTcNyXEel0wBcEf79GlbsNVsFOZETEL1KcFlxheWJ4ufiRbii-x3KIo03l38h_xI3mJda4QK9gUDMGbJFufCQTnCndeK1vwRIwf6 U9dkIxLR7mcl_D02qTaq_v6OYVSMfzrG73jkgw?width=351&height=351&cropmode=none

ComradeOj
10-03-2018, 08:28 PM
In no particular order:

Darius Gaiden. The first shooter I ever player. I still adore the music, design, and crazy graphics.

Virtua Cop. RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD. Short, but fun.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. I especially enjoy the sort of alternate timeline/post apocalypse setting. It sort of reminds me of Nausicaa.

Metal Slug. Great port of the Neo Geo classic.

Sonic R. Half honestly, half ironically. It's juuust goofy enough to enjoy.

Blades
10-03-2018, 10:17 PM
My problem with the Saturn was that all the games were short. Gone were the days-long RPGs of the 16-bit days with a few exceptions (mostly in 2D). The PSX/N64 suffered from this too.

Panzer Dragoon Saga stands alone, but it's a very late title.

Leynos
10-03-2018, 10:22 PM
My problem with the Saturn was that all the games were short. Gone were the days-long RPGs of the 16-bit days with a few exceptions (mostly in 2D). The PSX/N64 suffered from this too.

I prefer longer RPGs.

Moirai
10-03-2018, 11:12 PM
I just love the saturn

It has FENG SHUI like none other

bultje112
10-04-2018, 07:56 AM
In no particular order:

Darius Gaiden. The first shooter I ever player. I still adore the music, design, and crazy graphics.

Virtua Cop. RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD. Short, but fun.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. I especially enjoy the sort of alternate timeline/post apocalypse setting. It sort of reminds me of Nausicaa.

Metal Slug. Great port of the Neo Geo classic.

Sonic R. Half honestly, half ironically. It's juuust goofy enough to enjoy.

nausica. yes but much darker and the storyline is purely based on quantum mechanics, which is revealed by the absolute shocking ending. it's my favorite storyline in all of gaming and perhaps in any form of media except game of thrones.

bultje112
10-04-2018, 07:58 AM

is this serious? panzer dragoon saga was a super short rpg so I don't understand your argument at all. yet countless saturn rpg's are at least 40-80 hours long like all the shining force 3 scenarios, the holy ark, dragon force 1 and 2, mystaria and pretty much every rpg. in fact name me any saturn rpg shorter than 20 hours? only panzer dragoon saga is.

Team Andromeda
10-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Well, now I have to try it. Wasn't it originally on PC?
[/IMG]

Yes, but its not the same game. Forget Prime, Lobotomy perfected mixing jumping and Metroid style gameplay in an FPS with Exhumed years before Prime and the level design is better too.

zyrobs
10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Thunder Force V
Digital Pinball Necronomicon

Both with the volume maxed out.

Moirai
10-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Thunder Force V
Digital Pinball Necronomicon

Both with the volume maxed out.

Hyper Duel > TFV

cleeg
10-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Back from the era:

VF2, Panzer Dragoon Ein und Zwei, Virtual-On, Soviet Strike, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Daytona, Tomb Raider, Sega Rally. Also Virtua Fighter, my brother's and my mind were blown by that game! We had a blast with Theme Park and Nights too.

All the classics really.

Since my love for old games was rekindled...

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Battle Garegga, Soukyuu Gurentai and Street Fighter Zero 3. That last one is a blast to play. PD Saga was absolutely captivating.

Cafeman
10-04-2018, 04:56 PM
SEGA Rally Championship 1995 is my favorite. The driving itself is a pleasure to experience. Love the sounds and music. I even love the menus and initials entry screens.

All the Capcom fighters, but mostly SF Alpha 2 and Marvel Super Heroes Vs SF. I also enjoy the unique Infinity Gems gameplay in Marvel Super Heroes, but too bad the game is on the slow side with a bit too much loading. The Saturn smaller game pad is the perfect controller for these games.

I love Panzer Dragoon for similar reasons mentioned above. PD Zwei has better visuals and gameplay, but the original game is more cinematic and dramatic , and has more memorable music, to me. Love them both.

In the sports category, I love World Series Baseball II , and WSB 98 too. I prefer the more 2D and arcade style of WSBII more, but the games are different enough that it's fun alternating. I actually loathe real baseball, never could sit through an entire game, but I like these unique and distinct Saturn games. You can play the homerun derby a few times with different players, all in about 15 minutes and even that is just fun stuff to me.

I love Saturn Bomberman, both single and multi player modes. Love the 2D artwork and animation.

Leynos
10-04-2018, 07:03 PM
I love Fighting Vipers and Last Bronx.

zyrobs
10-05-2018, 02:17 AM
Hyper Duel > TFV

Good joke man.

Moirai
10-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Good joke man.

TFV doesnt stand a chance

MushaAleste
10-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Sounds like fun, lets try... here are my personal fav 10 SEGA Saturn games. In no particular order.

Dragon Force 1 - This game is just friggin awesome. There is nothing like it on any other system. Played the crap out of this back in the day.
Magic Knight Rayearth - Awesome story, killer music and lovable characters. The sprite-work and animations are beyond cool.
X-Men COTA - First ever Saturn game for me. Back then i couldn't get enough of it. Magneto is a bitch in this one. This was the last game Akira Nishitani worked on before leaving Capcom.
Biohazard - I totally like how clean the character models are. And playing this is still a blast even today, due to the polished, timeless gameplay. I prefer this to the PSX version.
Kyuutenkai - Colourful pinball game i wish i would have discovered sooner!
Street Fighter Zero - Played the crap out of this back in the day. To me this is one of the finest moments in 90's gaming ever. And the first time a Street Fighter game made it home completely intact. Blue Shadows and all :p
Sonic Wings Special - My fav Saturn shooter. Simple but enormously satisfying to play.
Tenchi wo Kurau II - My fav Capcom beat em up ever. I was so happy when they first announced it would be coming to the Saturn.
DoDonPachi - It's not perfect and quite different from the arcade here and there. But i totally dig it. Plus the Saturn mode is really nice.
Capcom Generation 5 - Finally brought SFII home fully intact. This one even has the cps1 chain combos.

Team Andromeda
10-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Sounds like fun, lets try... here are my personal fav 10 SEGA Saturn games. In no particular order.

Dragon Force 1 - This game is just friggin awesome. There is nothing like it on any other system. Played the crap out of this back in the day.
Magic Knight Rayearth - Awesome story, killer music and lovable characters. The sprite-work and animations are beyond cool.
X-Men COTA - First ever Saturn game for me. Back then i couldn't get enough of it. Magneto is a bitch in this one. This was the last game Akira Nishitani worked on before leaving Capcom.
Biohazard - I totally like how clean the character models are. And playing this is still a blast even today, due to the polished, timeless gameplay. I prefer this to the PSX version.
Kyuutenkai - Colourful pinball game i wish i would have discovered sooner!
Street Fighter Zero - Played the crap out of this back in the day. To me this is one of the finest moments in 90's gaming ever. And the first time a Street Fighter game made it home completely intact. Blue Shadows and all :p
Sonic Wings Special - My fav Saturn shooter. Simple but enormously satisfying to play.
Tenchi wo Kurau II - My fav Capcom beat em up ever. I was so happy when they first announced it would be coming to the Saturn.
DoDonPachi - It's not perfect and quite different from the arcade here and there. But i totally dig it. Plus the Saturn mode is really nice.
Capcom Generation 5 - Finally brought SFII home fully intact. This one even has the cps1 chain combos.

Amazing post and spot on too. #respect

Moirai
10-22-2018, 01:28 PM
I think metal black is an underrated saturn game

gamevet
10-22-2018, 11:23 PM
In no particular order, except for my 1st pick:

Sega Rally 95: It's probably my most played racing game of all-time. It's car physics perfection.

Last Gladiators Digital Pinball: Kaze nailed it with this pinball game.

Galactic Attack (Layer Section): The music and combat are so well put together. It's probably my favorite Shmup of all-time. I was really disappointed with the all polygonal Layer Section 2 on the PlayStation.

Street Fighter Alpha 2: Beautiful large character sprites and backgrounds, and a really cool sounding music score.

Soviet Strike: Big, colorful explosions and missions that are much harder than Desert Strike on the Genesis.

Tempest 2000: The best version of this game, with beautiful Redbook audio. The Jag version looks so dull and slow in comparison.

Shining The Holy Ark: It's easily in my top 3 RPGs of that generation.

Wing Arms: The Japanese version is way too hard. I much prefer the North American version, though the voice acting just blows. The Japanese version has a sense of humor though; you can hear the captain of a sinking ship's voice gargle as he's saying his final words.

Gungriffon: This an outstanding mech game. It's too bad that the rest of the games in the franchise suck!

Panzer Dragoon Zwei: I have a soft spot for the 1st game, but this one just improved everything over the 1st game.

Marvel Super Heroes: It has some slowdown issues, but who doesn't love fighting games in the Marvel Universe? (I could probably put Marvel vs Capcom here as well)

Magic Knight RayEarth: Beautiful, colorful sprites and an overall pretty cool action RPG.

Dark Savior: A really excellent isometric 3D (adventure?) RPG.

Iron Storm: The best turn based WWII strategy game I've ever played. I had to turn off the weather effects though, because it became really frustrating not being able to use my planes during a cloudy day.

There are so many more I could mention, but you have to stop somewhere.

Team Andromeda
10-23-2018, 04:14 AM
I think metal black is an underrated saturn game

Yep, very much like Batsugun, which is one of the best shooters going

Lync
10-25-2018, 12:13 AM
Fighters Megamix is my favorite game on the Saturn.

I wanted it so bad as a kid, used to go to Toys 'R Us to just watch the preview/demo on the kiosk monitors...
Makes me feel partly weird and giddy knowing now as an adult I actually own a copy.

VF2 is the best, but Megamix definitely my favorite...

MrMatthews
11-02-2018, 10:15 PM
I recently dusted off my own Saturn and discovered that i liked it more than the PlayStation. I need more games for it, so Iím making notes here.

Gamevet, I already have your number one. Gonna have to give it a try now that I replaced the system battery.

Edit: nope. I have Sega Touring Car Championship. Damn.

Leynos
11-03-2018, 01:14 AM
I know it's a SEGA forum and all so it won't sound so shocking here (and be the first place people are not shocked) I much prefer Saturn over PS1 and N64. I won't claim Saturn is better as objectively that's just not true esp of the PS1. Can debate about N64. It's just when you delve in the Japanese library of SS it has many great games that never made it to PS1. Saturn much like TG16 had an insanely great library in Japan and it's no surprise why it did well there. It's just a shame it gets seen as this terribly failed console. The only thing that is truly garbage about the Saturn is the fact it's so hard to emulate so we may never see SEGA re-release it's best games. I know they said they wanted to with the SEGA Ages on Switch but it seems they already skipped ahead to NAOMI emulation for Dreamcast ports. Doesn't even look like they are going to bother with Saturn games.

Side note anyone who prefers the US Burning Rangers song is listening to the wrong version. Takenobu Mitsuyoshi <3

FishJuice
11-03-2018, 12:01 PM
It's just when you delve in the Japanese library of SS it has many great games that never made it to PS1.
I can only imagine your amazement if you ever take a look at the Japanese PSX library...

It has thousands of extremely high quality games that never made it to SS. Most significantly, all the genres that were never popular with publishers in USA and Europe have hundreds of amazing entries each...

Of course any console is better than the N64, but if you're going to include the Japanese libraries, the PSX is still miles better than the Saturn.

MrMatthews
11-03-2018, 12:06 PM
any console is better than the N64

I often feel like, even around here, few people have more disdain for the N64 than I do, but I think I would still get more enjoyment out of it than, say, the Atari Jaguar, the 3DO, or the Game.com.

Leynos
11-03-2018, 02:01 PM
It's a decent system with some great games and not all are Nintendo or Rare. Mischief Makers is one of my faves on the system. Sin & Punishment is another and I do like the N64 version of Mega Man Legends because of analog. Honestly, Gamecube was more lame to me.

I don't even consider systems like Game.com,3D0, CDi, Jaguar and such even legitimate contenders. I will give Game.com credit for being the first touchscreen handheld 5-6 years before the Zodiac Tapwave which in itself was about a year before DS.

The Jackal
11-03-2018, 02:11 PM
My go to games on the Saturn are my Japanese Capcom fighters and Magic Carpet. Yeah, an odd one I know, but that game works so well with the Model 2 Saturn pad and I really like the atmosphere.

Eazy
11-06-2019, 04:29 AM
I only play Japanese saturn.

1. Xmen vs Street fighter
The initial reason I bought a sega saturn in the first place. I grew up on this game in the arcades. When I heard there was an arcade perfect port you bet your ass I wanted it.

2. Hyper duel
The most expensive game I have on the system and well worth it. Beautiful game and not all that hard but transforming into a mech is just too attractive. I have just about every shooter that does this. I like that so much no idea why. This game tells a story by showing you rather than telling you and Its great.

3. Megaman X4
Its Megaman X4

4. Tetris plus
I love Tetris. I like the different take on tetris this game has and the multiplayer is so fun. I can get addicted to this very easily and always pop it in now and then. Unless I'm playing tetris 99 on my kids switch but I digress..

5. Battle garegga
Radiant silvergun SHOULD have been here but honestly I have more fun with battle gareggas traditional gameplay and it just looks great. I just started playing this the past year actually and had no idea what I was missing out on.

6. Saturn Bomberman
Like the single player mode alot and is fun with co op aswell. And the battle mode is perfect. Some say the best bomberman game of all and I think so too.

7. Vampire savior
Pretty sure this is arcade perfect too. Best Darkstalkers game and plays like a dream and honestly might have the best animations on the freaking system. Gorgeous game if you look closely at it. Perfect game to play for October.

8. Image Fight & X multiply
Hidden G... you know I hate saying that phrase. 2 games in one. One vertical and one horizontal both excellent and original, especially X multiply. That ship is just different than any other shooter and that's what attracts me. Image fight is hard nails but fun.

9. Capcom Generation 2
Ghosts and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts and Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Pretty obvious. After playing genesis ghouls and ghosts I find the arcade version piss easy. Ghosts and Goblins made me pull my f***ing hair out but was fun until that last stage with the ladders, and the trolls, and the dragons.. and the firebrands... and the 2 devils on top.. f*** them... anyway it's also the only way I can play Super ghouls and ghosts which is I game I never got to enjoy before thanks to being stuck on the SNES which I loath.

10. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Best fatal fury game available on the system. Im a Big fan of this series and saves me trying to get the neo geo version as its arcade perfect too. It's my 3rd fav Fatal Fury game. RBFF2 AND GMOTW being better but that's not a bad thing.

Honorable mentions:
Street fighter collection - because of Alpha 2'.
Radiant silvergun - I honestly had a hard time keeping this off my top 10.
Metal Black - underrated shooter love the bonus stages between each level.
Marvel super heroes vs Street fighter - huge fan of the vs series but this game obviously lacks personality that xmen vs street fighter had.
King of fighter 96
Layer section
Astra superstars - very original with the flight and the gameplay does do it well.
Astal - Astal is great man
Nights into dreams - love Nights
Soukyugurentai - I prefer this to Batsugan, crazy I know.
Gun frontier - surprisingly good hard vertical shooter. I like it.
Hot blooded family - Just a wacky beat em up game. Very fun I play this with my daughter alot.
Dungeons and dragons collection - same as above just not as wacky it is very funny though.
Waku waku 7 - neo geo port is probably better but I'm very satisfied with this version.
Last bronx - totally underrated 3d fighter.
Panzer dragoon 1 and 2 - the first games I got. Beat them both. Must have.
Fatal fury 3 - I hate real bout 1. This is a very very good port.
Virtual on - amazing with the controller.

Leynos
11-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Have you played Battle garegga on PS4 as well? There is a physical copy avail on Play Asia. My copy is LRG tho. No difference. It's where I first played it and yeah it's a great game.

Alianger
08-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Saturn Bomberman Ė Hudson Soft
Elevator Action Returns - Taito
Cotton Boomerang and Cotton 2 - Success
Bulk Slash Ė Hudson Soft
Batsugun
Darius Gaiden - Taito
Shining Force III: Scenarios 1-3
Battle Garegga - Raizing
Galactic Attack

MMX4
SoukyuGurentai Otokuyo Ė Raizing
Radiant Silvergun Ė Treasure
Hyper Duel - Technosoft
Thunder Force V Ė Technosoft
Mega Man X4 - Capcom
Keio Flying Squadron 2 Ė Victor Entertainment
​PowerSlave/Exhumed
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Keio Flying Squadron 2

Mega Man 8: AE - Capcom
Metal Slug - SNK
Sega Rally Championship Plus
Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Capcom
Assault Suit Leynos 2 Ė NCS
Bubble Symphony - Taito
Burning Rangers
Panzer Dragoon
Nights into DreamsÖ
Dragon Force

Magic Knight Rayearth
Psychic Assassin Taromaru - Time Warner Interactive
Purikura Daisakusen - Atlus
Dungeons & Dragons Collection - Capcom
Capcom Generation 2 - Capcom

Phantar
11-14-2020, 05:25 AM
I am only just re-exploring the Saturn's library - even though I originally got the console within the same month it was released in Europe, I've only really used it for a very short time and then shelved it, only getting back to it a few months ago. So I've only got a limited experience with the games available, but from within that limited scope my favorites are :

- the Virtua Cop games, in particular VC2 (still one of the best lightgun experiences ever)
- Saturn Bomberman (I did arrange for a couple of 10-player - multiplayer sessions in tournament format a few years ago, and those sessions rocked!)
-Winter Heat and Decathlete - they are vicious joypad wreckers, but they are helluva fun in multiplayer. I should review those games at some point...
-Fighters Megamix - basically the height of refinement in Segas 3D fighting game efforts during the fifth generation era.
-Panzer Dragoon 2. Mindless fun. Haven't played Saga yet, but I definitely plan to.

Sut
11-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Had my Saturn pretty much from launch (Europe).
My favourites are the staples:

Sega Rally - still my favourite racer ever
Virtua Cop 2 - Just pure light gun fun
House of the Dead - yeah it looks like a dog but it plays good
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Iím not big into RPGís but this is one I enjoyed and didnít need an FAQ !
Duke Nukem 3D - My favourite FPS of that era

gamevet
11-14-2020, 01:18 PM
If your list doesnít have SEGA Rally, youíve failed the test.

Iíve been goofing around with some burned titles, after I got a modded Action Replay Cart.

Iíve been playing the English patched Grandia (originally played it on PS) and Iíve been enjoying that. I canít really say the same for Powerslave, which Iím finding to be waaaay over-rated. Visually, itís pretty good for the hardware of the time, but the play mechanics and the going back and forth between the small levels wore on me pretty quickly. Iím not so bummed about never picking it up, back when I saw it at EB games in the 90sí.

profholt82
11-14-2020, 04:51 PM
Shinobi Legions
I realize that this game doesn't have as good of a reputation as its Genesis brethren, but eff it, I don't care because I love it. The double jump handles a tad more touchily than it does in Shinobi III, but once you get the hang of it, you're good to go. This game has a more arcadey feel to it than the earlier Shinobi games as well, and while I love the Genesis games, this Saturn game does have a unique feel in that respect, and it's a welcome change to the series. What really takes this one to the top for me though, is the overall ambience and feeling of the game. You get the Shinobi gameplay experience with the addition of FMV cutscenes in all of their 90s glory. I just love it.

Sega Rally Championship
While I still enjoy playing Daytona in spite of its flaws, it doesn't hold up to the arcade. Sega Rally, on the other hand, plays as good as the arcade, and has some welcome additions which add depth to the overall gameplay experience. Sure, the graphics aren't as nice as the arcade, but everything else is. It's one of the funnest racing games ever made.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei
PDZ takes everything that is great about the first game and improves upon it. What an excellent rail shooter. It has beautiful graphics, silky smooth gameplay with tight, responsive controls. But what sets the game apart is the gorgeous universe that it inhabits. If video games are meant to be an escape from reality, there aren't many that can transport you the way the PDZ can.

X-Men: Children of the Atom
What a kickass fighting game. While I'm a huge fan of the genre, I'll admit that I'm no expert, and don't obsess over the frames of animation and such, so I'm sure that there are more technically advance fighters on the console, but this game is freaking awesome. And unlike so many of the more heralded titles that appear more frequently on these best of lists, this one doesn't require an add-on RAM cart to be great. Call it a testament to good programming. But anyway, as a big fan of the Uncanny X-Men comic series and the animated series growing up, this game really nails it for me.

Virtua Cop 2
Again, we have the theme of a great first game being expanded upon. VC2 handles smoother, has more detailed graphics, and more going on overall than the already excellent first game, so this makes it one of the best games on the console, and one of my all time favorite light gun games. It really has that feeling of the arcade coming home. It's also worth noting that if you want to play it on a newer television that isn't a CRT, it is compatible with the 3D analog controller, and it plays wonderfully. Sadly, the first game lacks the same compatibility.

profholt82
11-14-2020, 06:09 PM
All right, I've been sitting here watching the Masters on tv, and thinking about Saturn games, and I have more favorites to talk about. Whatever, deal with it, hahahaha....

Virtua Fighter 2 - This is such a well-handling fighting game, it just feels great to play. Sega really put a lot of time and resources into cooking this game properly, and it shows. I really didn't predict how good this game would be after the abomination that was VF1 on the console, but it's a classic that is still fun to play today.

Guardian Heroes - GH is a unique beat em up with a 2-tiered plane system that let's you alternate between the planes strategically, similar to Fatal Fury. But beyond that mechanic, the game has great hand drawn characters with smooth animations, and it's a fun experience with depth as you build up your character and moves via experience. It can get crazy at times with chaotic battles among tons of enemies on screen at once. It's definitely a big step above most beat em ups.

Die Hard Arcade - The title doesn't lie in this game. This is another bring the arcade home experience which is one of the things I love most about the Saturn. I'm not sure if this is a great game exactly, but it sure is fun, and I still love to play through it from time to time after all these years. And I still crack up laughing during the slow-mo sequence where you have to punch the baddie in the face while on the run.

Batman Forever - Yes, another arcade beat em up, I guess that says a lot about my taste in games. This one is jam packed with character and atmosphere though. The dark streets of Gotham look excellent and detailed, and the move sets of Batman and Robin are more varied than the average game in the genre. This one loves to through tons of enemies at you, and when you initiate some explosions and special moves, the screen can have so much going on that it is almost overwhelming. That is arcade as eff, and I love it.

Galactic Attack - This is a fun, indepth space shooter with a strategic lock-on missile mechanic that I really enjoy using. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it plays brilliantly, looks great, and is tons of fun to play.

A couple more random fun games that popped in my head as I typed the above....

Manx TT Super Bike - fun motorbike racer that plays great with the 3D analog controller. The tracks are well detailed and take place in mountains around water, so it looks just as good as it plays.

World Series Baseball II - great baseball game that has the depth of a sim with all the teams, players, full season, etc, but it has the gameplay of an arcade game, so there's a timeless pick up and play feel to it.

All right, I'm done, I swear. Well, for now anyway. Hahahaha

SegaAMD
11-14-2020, 08:56 PM
I even like the N64 but I prefer Saturn over any other video game but I confess I played little at the time and I need to rediscover Saturn and I will buy one again soon so I will post more precisely what my favorite games are. I am a player of fighting games I like different and creative games too.

gamevet
11-14-2020, 09:46 PM
Sega Rally Championship
While I still enjoy playing Daytona in spite of its flaws, it doesn't hold up to the arcade. Sega Rally, on the other hand, plays as good as the arcade, and has some welcome additions which add depth to the overall gameplay experience. Sure, the graphics aren't as nice as the arcade, but everything else is. It's one of the funnest racing games ever made.

You've made the right choice. ;)

What a kickass fighting game. While I'm a huge fan of the genre, I'll admit that I'm no expert, and don't obsess over the frames of animation and such, so I'm sure that there are more technically advance fighters on the console, but this game is freaking awesome. And unlike so many of the more heralded titles that appear more frequently on these best of lists, this one doesn't require an add-on RAM cart to be great. Call it a testament to good programming. But anyway, as a big fan of the Uncanny X-Men comic series and the animated series growing up, this game really nails it for me.

I kind of regretted trading that game in, to get a Dreamcast, but I've always felt that Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men vs. Street Fighter filled that void.

Team Andromeda
11-15-2020, 03:46 AM

Now you're talking. For me, the best 2D fighter ever made and seeing those huge sprites be effortlessly moved around was incredible at the time. I also loved how all the characters used the same buttons for the special movies meaning all your mates could pick the game up and unleash chaos on the screen with no need to learn characters special moves

Phantar
11-15-2020, 04:44 AM
If your list doesnít have SEGA Rally, youíve failed the test.

Well, sorry to be a failure then. 😉. Thing is, I don't care much for Racing games, never was much good at them. I agree that Sega rally championship is pretty good, better than most in its day really, from a purely technical POV. But this is about personal favorites, and I simply don't favor racing games of any kind unless they also allow for destruction and mayhem, like maybe the Burnout titles.

On an unrelated note, I've recently dabbled with the fan translation of Sakura wars. It's a strangely fascinating game. I've still not even finished half of it I reckon, but if the quality keeps up, this one might also be a contender for personal favorites on the platform.

profholt82
11-15-2020, 01:48 PM
I think I'm going to have to import X-Men vs Street Fighter. I played the Playstation version back in the late 90s, and I thought it was all right, but nothing special. Apparently, the Saturn version is supposed to be near arcade perfect compared to the gimped Playstation version though. Does anyone know if the RAM feature on the Action Replay cart is compatible with Japanese games? I use the Action Replay or Game Shark for playing JPN games on my American Saturn, but I've never tried it with one that required the separate RAM cart. If it does need the official Japanese RAM cart, will that cart work on an American Saturn? If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Phantar
11-15-2020, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know if the RAM feature on the Action Replay cart is compatible with Japanese games?

Yes, it is.

profholt82
11-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Awewsome! Thanks, Phantar. :chewie:

zyrobs
11-15-2020, 04:18 PM
I kind of regretted trading that game in, to get a Dreamcast, but I've always felt that Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men vs. Street Fighter filled that void.

I wouldn't agree with that, COTA plays quite a bit differently than all the later VS games. It is one of the few fighting games where your moves have momentum to them, affecting how far they reach. It isn't limited to just "dashing dragon punch travels slightly further forward", it is entirely dynamic and always depends on your movement. It is the most noticeable with Akuma (hidden character), you can make the hurricane kick spin in place or rocket forward the entire length of the arena depending on how much movement speed you had built up. This allows you to alter the reach of your attacks, having greater control over them, admittedly it is also difficult to do and it can backfire, but it's one of the rare games where this is possible. It is quite a unique experience, especially if you compare how Akuma fights in that game compared to later titles.
You also do not have automatic super jumps on launchers, or special combo chains on super jumps, so it feels stiffer at first but you can still do those things manually, with some practice.

And unlike the later games, it actually feels like an X-men game. Not just in that it has comic-like animation, but the arenas, the character behaviours, even the fight end quotes and especially the fight with Magneto feels like something out of the comic. None of the later games in the series had any of that (to be fair mostly because they are all based on crossovers, not a single family of comics... even MSH was based on a crossover comic, but in its defense it was a far better adaptation than Avengers Endgame).

gamevet
11-15-2020, 04:21 PM
I think I'm going to have to import X-Men vs Street Fighter. I played the Playstation version back in the late 90s, and I thought it was all right, but nothing special. Apparently, the Saturn version is supposed to be near arcade perfect compared to the gimped Playstation version though. Does anyone know if the RAM feature on the Action Replay cart is compatible with Japanese games? I use the Action Replay or Game Shark for playing JPN games on my American Saturn, but I've never tried it with one that required the separate RAM cart. If it does need the official Japanese RAM cart, will that cart work on an American Saturn? If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, that's what it's there for.

gamevet
11-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Well, sorry to be a failure then. 😉. Thing is, I don't care much for Racing games, never was much good at them. I agree that Sega rally championship is pretty good, better than most in its day really, from a purely technical POV. But this is about personal favorites, and I simply don't favor racing games of any kind unless they also allow for destruction and mayhem, like maybe the Burnout titles.

I'm not being 100% serious here. Maybe I should have put a :p at the end of it.

On an unrelated note, I've recently dabbled with the fan translation of Sakura wars. It's a strangely fascinating game. I've still not even finished half of it I reckon, but if the quality keeps up, this one might also be a contender for personal favorites on the platform.

I guess I need to burn a copy of the translated version. I've always heard good things about the game.

zyrobs
11-15-2020, 04:37 PM
X-Men vs SF was very impressive back in its day due to having the full-screen giant super moves applied to the SF cast, plus you could do TWO of those at the same time, and of course the tag team action and free flowing combos were very novel at the time. But it's not as impressive if you have played any of its half dozen sequels. Still, pretty good show for the Saturn, especially the loading times (or lack thereof).

Personally I prefer Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, it has a somewhat more mixed bag cast, but it has more moves, better visuals, assists, new music, etc. It is much closer to its sequels.

Team Andromeda
11-16-2020, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't agree with that, COTA plays quite a bit differently than all the later VS games. It is one of the few fighting games where your moves have momentum to them, affecting how far they reach. It isn't limited to just "dashing dragon punch travels slightly further forward", it is entirely dynamic and always depends on your movement. It is the most noticeable with Akuma (hidden character), you can make the hurricane kick spin in place or rocket forward the entire length of the arena depending on how much movement speed you had built up. This allows you to alter the reach of your attacks, having greater control over them, admittedly it is also difficult to do and it can backfire, but it's one of the rare games where this is possible. It is quite a unique experience, especially if you compare how Akuma fights in that game compared to later titles.
You also do not have automatic super jumps on launchers, or special combo chains on super jumps, so it feels stiffer at first but you can still do those things manually, with some practice.

And unlike the later games, it actually feels like an X-men game. Not just in that it has comic-like animation, but the arenas, the character behaviours, even the fight end quotes and especially the fight with Magneto feels like something out of the comic. None of the later games in the series had any of that (to be fair mostly because they are all based on crossovers, not a single family of comics... even MSH was based on a crossover comic, but in its defense it was a far better adaptation than Avengers Endgame).

Simply fabulous post and so spot on #Respect

Sut
11-16-2020, 04:14 PM
Does anyone else prefer Panzer Dragoon 1 over 2 ? Or is it just me :lol:

Leynos
11-16-2020, 05:03 PM

Not just you.

gamevet
11-16-2020, 05:21 PM
Tres!

zyrobs
11-16-2020, 09:56 PM
If PD1 had the same framerate and allowed for berserk attacks like PD2, I'd perhaps prefer it over its sequel.
There's a 60fps cheat but it doesn't just make the framerate higher, it speeds up the game too - plus then the slowdowns are more noticeable.

Team Andromeda
11-17-2020, 03:08 AM

No. The 1st game is much better. I like the bosses more, the art direction, intro and music more too. The 1st game captured perfectly the feeling of it's you and your faithful pet up against the whole world.
IMO It's the best game SEGA ever made and my old-time favourite game. For sure there's games I played and play far more, but no other game had the impact on me like Panzer Dragoon, very much like Blade Runner in films. I was just memorised by the world

Bloodreign
11-17-2020, 01:11 PM
Games like Magical Drop 3, Magical Drop 2, Puyo Puyo Tsuu, Puyo Puyo Sun, and Cleopatra Fortune are some of my favorite puzzle games on the Saturn, but I like those series on whatever consoles they happen to be on as well. Now the SNK stuff on the Saturn I like, I've gone out of my way to have everything SNK made and put out on the Saturn (including Metal Slug). I am a fan of many arcade ports on the console, besides those puzzle games I listed, stuff like Liquid Kids, Bubble Symphony, Elevator Action Returns, Metal Black, Pulirula, Night Striker, Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter, Pocket Fighter, Vampire Savior, and several more games. I own 57 games for the console, a majority of them are imports, many purchased while they were cheaper years ago, though I still pick up the occasional Saturn game, like Hanagumi Taisen Columns, that are at a fair price, and not overly expensive.

Out of all the Saturn games I own, or have played, Bubble Symphony, Elevator Action Returns, and Liquid Kids are my top 3 games, with Sexy Parodius being a distant 4th.

SegaAMD
11-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Well, today is the 26th anniversary of the launch of the SEGA Saturn in Japan, time goes on.

Fave Saturn games?

Team Andromeda
11-22-2020, 07:35 AM
My fav Saturn game is Panzer Dragoon and my most played Saturn game is Souky. Still after all these years the best console and Souky is still the best shooter

Hairlesswookiee
11-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Mine in no particular order:
Sega Rally
Resident Evil
Deep Fear
Legend of Oasis
In the Hunt
Virtua Fighter (all of them)
X Men Vs Street Fighter (first game that I ever imported from Japan and got me hooked on Saturn games)

gamevet
11-29-2020, 10:52 PM
Mine in no particular order:
Sega Rally
Resident Evil
Deep Fear
Legend of Oasis
In the Hunt
Virtua Fighter (all of them)
X Men Vs Street Fighter (first game that I ever imported from Japan and got me hooked on Saturn games)

You need to check out Vampire Savior. That is my favorite Capcom fighter, just because of the visuals and sound.

Hairlesswookiee
12-01-2020, 09:58 PM
You need to check out Vampire Savior. That is my favorite Capcom fighter, just because of the visuals and sound.

I have it and enjoy playing it but it doesn't stick with me the same way XMen Vs does.