PDA

View Full Version : what is the best Saturn from Japan?

Mordan
11-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Hello,

Question is in the title.

Looking to buy a Japaneese version to play Jap games without mods.

1)best of the best

2)good quality/price ratio.

Cheers.

zyrobs
11-02-2018, 03:23 PM
They all get yellowed and look like shit. The hardware inside is the same as US consoles too, except for the boot rom. In fact all models have identical hardware, with the only difference being some extra jumpers and the boot rom (and PAL units changing C-Sync output to +12V on the a/v connector).

Just get a US machine and give it a region free bios, and it'll work the exact same. There are maybe two games that check the internal region and won't work as expected, but that's about it (from memory: first release of Soukyugurentai displays a broken localization on US machines, and Die Hard Arcade runs in Japanese on a Japanese console - even if you play an US copy of the game). If you live in Europe, getting a PAL unit works too, you just need to do a 50/60hz mod - or replace the main oscillator if you need exact 59.94Hz output for your scalers.

If you want the best of the best with no regard to price, get the Hitachi Hi-Saturn NAVI. It's the only actual custom unit.

Mordan
11-02-2018, 03:57 PM
ty..

ok so there isn't that many different models like with the Genesis/Mega drive.

For practical purposes there is basically 1 right? (compared to the dozen of mega drive models)

zyrobs
11-02-2018, 04:05 PM
In my experience the later units (VA6+) are more likely to need their caps and EMI filters replaced to prevent various issues with crashing and to make the image more stable and the colours more vibrant, while earlier units tend to have problems with the power supply (specifically the TOP PWM chips are going bad).

But you don't have silliness like the audio chip sounding completely different between models.

Oh, VA10+ Saturns use an integrated 68k and two or maybe three games lock up with those (Outrun and Space Harrier), but both of those games got second revisions that fixed the issue.

Team Andromeda
11-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Not all white Sega Saturn's get yellowed and look like crap, Mine is still in mint cond and I hate the USA and Pal Sega Saturn's you get the terrible Boot sequence (not a patch on the Japanese boot up sequence) and then the God awful menu screens when going in to the various CD and sound options.

I say get a Japanese Grey Saturn, it looks so much better, its runs like a work horse, it plays every game one will ever throw at it and also you get the better boot sequence and option menu too. Falling that go for the White Saturn or the lovely JVC Model 2 V-Saturn (love mine and it looks stunning)

zyrobs
11-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Reminder that Team Andromeda is on the ignore list of many of the regular posters here, for spouting non-stop BS.

Team Andromeda
11-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Really don't get the negatively or attitude, very uncalled for imo. This is my launch white Saturn, that is still white and lovely to this very day.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4870/30746663557_d8a65805e4_o.jpg

https://youtu.be/wkh_N-iX2nY

Find it all better looking than the Western Saturn myself.

Leynos
11-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Reminder that Team Andromeda is on the ignore list of many of the regular posters here, for spouting non-stop BS.

Can't rep lol.

That said I do have a broken US Saturn. It was my main Saturn but alas it finally died. Bought a Grey Japanese Saturn since most of my SS games are imports. Love it. I have the Action Replay 4MB cart to play US games so all is well. The grey one looks so nice. Easily my personal fave of all the models when it comes to aesthetics.

zyrobs
11-02-2018, 08:07 PM
You can actually see the outside of the plastic being slightly yellower than the cd lid area on that pic.
The CD player menu is literally the same between all units too. The only differences is that US/EU units have a better looking slider on the pitch control (standard left/right, not a pink diagonal mess), and that the memory manager is just 1 option of 4 in system preferences (on JP units, system preferences can be accessed FROM the memory manager).
The hardware is the same. A US unit or a PAL unit will be an equal work horse.

The boot animation is entirely down to personal preference, and if you put in a region free bios you can pick whichever you want, since all the boot roms are compatible with all models. Hi-Saturn one has a better bootup, btw.

Team Andromeda
11-03-2018, 04:11 AM
You can actually see the outside of the plastic being slightly yellower than the cd lid area on that pic.
The CD player menu is literally the same between all units too. The only differences is that US/EU units have a better looking slider on the pitch control (standard left/right, not a pink diagonal mess), and that the memory manager is just 1 option of 4 in system preferences (on JP units, system preferences can be accessed FROM the memory manager).
The hardware is the same. A US unit or a PAL unit will be an equal work horse..

A lot of that is down the lighting . The system is all but mint, not bad for a unit bought in 1996. The White Saturn's hold up better that you'll give them credit for.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4885/45693379391_989fc13ce7_o.jpg

The CD menu's are not the same. Yes, it maybe small, pathetic and nick picking. but you get a horrible checkboard background in the Pal/US options for the extra CD functions and the Japanese boot up sequence not only looks more impressive it sounds way more impressive with like a chorus singing for the boot up .
No idea for US systems, but early Pal models had issues (including my bothers launch Pal system) and both the Pal and NTSC-US came in that horrible black colour along with the hideous redesigned Joypads. My Launch Grey Japanese Saturn is still going strong, it will play any game one will every throw at it and imo its looks better, the boot sequence is far better and so menu system design (on the extra options)
I also like how on all the Japanese Model holding down the L&R Saturn shoulder buttons, take you directly into the Memory manager screen, not quite the case with the Pal model.

So all in all, I much rather the Japanese system and imo the best looking Sega Saturn system is the JVC two tone Grey V-Saturn Mark 2 system. Well its the best looking Saturn I got, wasn't really impressed with the This Is Cool Saturn but I do wish I still had the unit. I never liked the colour for the Pal/US Sega Saturn's or the Hitachi Hi Saturn's. The Hi-Saturn Nav unit is by far the best looking system, but my import shop only ever had one unit in and it cost over 4,000 which was way beyond my pay scale and that was back when Lee had the unit back in 2004 But for me the JVC V Saturn is the best looking unit most people can buy

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/903/28181666108_4cd5294c3c_o.jpg

IrishNinja
11-03-2018, 04:27 AM
THIS IS COOL saturn is the best one and everyone who disagrees is lying to you

hope this helps

Team Andromeda
11-03-2018, 04:40 AM
THIS IS COOL saturn is the best one and everyone who disagrees is lying to you

hope this helps
I didn't like it myself back at the time. I know it sounds silly, but being able to see the disc spinning made me worry about system failure. So that turned my off the system and got rid.
I hated the DC Seaman Model too (never owned one, but thought it looked horrible in the import shop). Not a fan of the see-though models myself, but they do appeal to many I guess

Moirai
11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
I prefer black US consoles, and i even prefer the US startup/bios screen.. i guess nostalgia wins

Team Andromeda
11-04-2018, 06:08 AM
I prefer black US consoles, and i even prefer the US startup/bios screen.. i guess nostalgia wins

The only aspect I liked better with on launch Pal/US Saturn's was the SEGA logo on the front of the unit.

Da_Shocker
11-09-2018, 12:15 PM
A lot of that is down the lighting . The system is all but mint, not bad for a unit bought in 1996. The White Saturn's hold up better that you'll give them credit for.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4885/45693379391_989fc13ce7_o.jpg

The CD menu's are not the same. Yes, it maybe small, pathetic and nick picking. but you get a horrible checkboard background in the Pal/US options for the extra CD functions and the Japanese boot up sequence not only looks more impressive it sounds way more impressive with like a chorus singing for the boot up .
No idea for US systems, but early Pal models had issues (including my bothers launch Pal system) and both the Pal and NTSC-US came in that horrible black colour along with the hideous redesigned Joypads. My Launch Grey Japanese Saturn is still going strong, it will play any game one will every throw at it and imo its looks better, the boot sequence is far better and so menu system design (on the extra options)
I also like how on all the Japanese Model holding down the L&R Saturn shoulder buttons, take you directly into the Memory manager screen, not quite the case with the Pal model.

So all in all, I much rather the Japanese system and imo the best looking Sega Saturn system is the JVC two tone Grey V-Saturn Mark 2 system. Well its the best looking Saturn I got, wasn't really impressed with the This Is Cool Saturn but I do wish I still had the unit. I never liked the colour for the Pal/US Sega Saturn's or the Hitachi Hi Saturn's. The Hi-Saturn Nav unit is by far the best looking system, but my import shop only ever had one unit in and it cost over 4,000 which was way beyond my pay scale and that was back when Lee had the unit back in 2004 But for me the JVC V Saturn is the best looking unit most people can buy

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/903/28181666108_4cd5294c3c_o.jpg

Fuckin showoff lol.

Team Andromeda
11-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Fuckin showoff lol.

Sorry lol