PDA

View Full Version : New Sega Mega Drive Demo "Red Eyes"

Rockadoodle
03-14-2019, 03:13 PM
I'm wondering why this has not been posted here before. It seems that some members of Titan produced some sort of advertising demo for the upcoming Technoptimistic (https://remute.bandcamp.com/album/technoptimistic) music disk/cart release from remute.

More information and the download can be found here: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=80580

For a video just visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wPhqlB9_2w

strider1911
03-14-2019, 04:33 PM
I'm impressed, mainly by how smooth everything is.

ComradeOj
03-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Awesome! I love all the little effects added to the FMV.

Is the 3D part running live, or an FMV stream? Either way, it was really enjoyable to watch.

zyrobs
03-14-2019, 11:51 PM
How did they get such a high framerate? Fast code notwithstanding, I thought there was a hard cap on how many tiles you can upload per second. To get around that you'd have to encode each frame into separate palettes like the Sonic 3d intro does, but the polygon sequence is unlikely to be FMV given its length.

strider1911
03-15-2019, 03:01 AM
How did they get such a high framerate? Fast code notwithstanding, I thought there was a hard cap on how many tiles you can upload per second. To get around that you'd have to encode each frame into separate palettes like the Sonic 3d intro does, but the polygon sequence is unlikely to be FMV given its length.

Just imagine an entire game with the graphics and speed of the 2nd part back in 1992. Even with half of this framerate would be a game changer, looks better than both versions of Virtua Racing to me.

(I'm well aware there are probably some coding tricks involved, so actual gameplay in this way may be impossible)

Vorenge
03-15-2019, 03:58 AM
Considering I purchased remute, I'm really excited that you shared this. Thank you.

CrossBow
03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Yeap I loaded up this demo on my Genesis last night. Amazing to really see this in action on real hardware! The 3D section isn't FMV, you can tell by the fact it goes full screen during that part. But yeah the quality of the music and samples used is outstanding! Has me really pumped for the Remute cart release as well!

Rockadoodle
03-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Bought mine today, too and remute confirmed march 22nd as release/shipping date.

strider1911
03-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Is there a video or screenshots of the Remute cart GUI? I know it's silly but I do love me some cool menus.

cleeg
03-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Only watched the YT vid so far, but that was bee-rilliant.

Kamahl
03-15-2019, 05:47 PM
That 3D section... how?

Sik
03-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Same way as Overdrive 2:
https://jix.one/pushing-polygons-on-the-mega-drive/

Though it has a newer take on the renderer that runs faster.

netpredakonn
03-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Looks like Flashback on steroids. Very, very impressive.

Kamahl
03-16-2019, 07:14 AM
Though it has a newer take on the renderer that runs faster.
Well this new renderer achieved a crazy smooth framerate, the old one was fast and smooth in parts but still choppy.
This level of smoothness is crazy.

Mad Moham
03-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Looks like Flashback on steroids. Very, very impressive.

I have a feeling that Flashback and Another/Out-of-this World used a similar technique, I seem to recall Burger Heineman talking about it in the video about the SNES conversion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding her video though.

Its very impressive to see such a high framerate, every time I think I've seen everything from the hardware a new demo blows me away again.

cleeg
03-16-2019, 12:13 PM
How likely is it that a game could be made with that technique? Like a really simple arcade slalom racer or something?

DreamCarts
03-16-2019, 04:21 PM
They put that in a cartridge? It does look amazing!

That 3D section... how?

I think because that part doesn't have any textures, so it uses the memory to just place numbers to render the 3D. Would like to really interact with that scene to be honest. Maybe they would do that for a later release seeing that it has just been released.

Sik
03-16-2019, 04:29 PM
How likely is it that a game could be made with that technique? Like a really simple arcade slalom racer or something?
The polygonal part is about 1MB and it lasts about 1 minute so… even if you treated it like FMV, you'd be looking at 4 minutes worth of footage before resorting to mappers. I suppose you could try letterboxing it and halving the framerate to try to cram in more stuff tho (disclaimer: it's also possible the stream itself is unoptimized size-wise and there are ways to make it more efficient that don't hurt the speed too badly, that could help too).

cleeg
03-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the answer Sik, I wish I understood it! I think I get from what you've said is that it would be almost impossible.

Mad Moham
03-16-2019, 06:54 PM
I thought there was a hard cap on how many tiles you can upload per second

This might be a stupid question, but what is the limit on the number of tiles that can be transferred? I'm genuinely interested, I also would have thought that the limit would have been exceeded during the demo.

maxi
03-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Looks like the 3D segment only has the objects rendered. The stage they're running is all 2D. On the Titan tech demo all the scenario is 3D, so this is why it's still choppy.
On Resq, at the pod going inside the base you can see how it's a lot faster than the flying segment and the ship above the base:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sXgFmZ-tM0

Sik
03-17-2019, 04:11 AM
Um guys, did you miss the part where I said this renderer was better optimized in general?

Also note that one of the things being done is that large solid areas are replaced with solid tiles instead of being rendered. That's a significant contribution to the high framerate as it reduces the amount to render (and tiles to load) drastically (the downside is that it's only worth it when you know ahead of time what will be rendered, i.e. would be counterproductive in practice if you're computing new scenes on the fly).

matteus
03-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Um guys, did you miss the part where I said this renderer was better optimized in general?

Also note that one of the things being done is that large solid areas are replaced with solid tiles instead of being rendered. That's a significant contribution to the high framerate as it reduces the amount to render (and tiles to load) drastically (the downside is that it's only worth it when you know ahead of time what will be rendered, i.e. would be counterproductive in practice if you're computing new scenes on the fly).

It's a precalculated scenario. So am I right in saying it would be fab for cutscenes but not so great if an attempt was made to combined it with game logic?

Kabuto
03-28-2019, 09:31 AM
We've just released a write-up about the tech behind this demo:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17pX_PS5uXSWoaS71JurC-DSKIV8ZAzlaP4o1jXbJ9CA/edit?usp=sharing

CrossBow
03-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Also the entire demo for "Red Eyes" is included in the actual cartridge release along with QR codes for 2 more additional bonus tracks (though I haven't tested that part out yet).

cleeg
03-29-2019, 02:51 AM
Can't say I really understood any of that but it was really interesting.

EPSYLON EAGLE
03-30-2019, 12:48 AM
We've just released a write-up about the tech behind this demo:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17pX_PS5uXSWoaS71JurC-DSKIV8ZAzlaP4o1jXbJ9CA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks! It's very cool that you shared this content, never thought that Genesis could run 3D graphics so smooth, you guys are superb programmers!

Thunderblaze16
04-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Am I doing something wrong, every time it reaches that part of, "I THINK I NEED A BREAK". The music just loops on a single tune, "beeeeeeeeee...."

I'm using an everdrive on my model 1.

EDIT: ahhh, should have known. The rom isn't overclocked friendly. Had my Model 1 switch on 10MHz, rom works fine now on stock 7MHz. That explains the random black spots appearing and the music just going on an annoying, 1 tune loops.

cleeg
04-06-2019, 11:46 AM
I watched this on my Nomad the other night, just brilliant.