PDA

View Full Version : Majesco Game Gear needs recap?

Virtua Hunter
09-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Hello

Since I have to get a new Game Gear, I'm looking around to all the options available.
During the years I read about the Game Gear from Majesco, some people said that it had a better screen and better capacitors.

Can you confirm these two statements?
And if it's true, does it need new capacitors like the original GG?

Thank you

redsox2013
09-03-2019, 12:17 AM
I have a Majesco GG, and I've had many over the past few years. I've never come across one that needed new capacitors. Every one I've had has worked perfectly.

As far as the screen goes, the Majesco screen is better because it has a faster refresh rate. Because of this, there is a noticeable reduction in motion blur on the Majesco screen compared to the older Sega models.

Virtua Hunter
09-04-2019, 10:25 AM
So it is true after all, thanks for the confirmation.
Ill try to get a Majesco unit if I find one at decent price.

xelement5x
09-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I've heard the same with GG caps but at this point if I got a Majesco unit I'd probably recap it all the same.

TmEE
09-11-2019, 03:14 PM
They are newer but still have shit capacitors and a recap is eventually necessary, the sooner it is done the better.

GohanX
09-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the Majesco ones are less likely to need capacitors, but they still go out. I have one that I bought new back in the day that needs the recap done on it now. Remember, most capacitors have an expected life of 20 years, so everything is going to need caps sooner or later.

TheGreyGhost
03-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Hello,

late to the party but wanted to my knowledge. Ive recapped at least a dozen Game gears by now. Although Majesco is the newer model, I haven't seen any difference in issues with them. My mantra: replace all caps no matter what