PDA

View Full Version : Are there any breakthroughs for getting replacement lasers for Dreamcasts?

vintagegamecrazy
11-28-2019, 09:06 PM
I have several systems that I want to repair and sell but have dead lasers. Everyone says to install a GDemu SD card but I can't do that to everyone that comes through my hands. All of the replacement lasers so far are China made trash and are DOA. What do I and others do now or for the forseeable future?

Virtua Hunter
12-19-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm interested in this too.
Any news about some companies that could make good quality replacement lasers?

Domrez1
07-29-2020, 11:25 PM
You could always switch to a Yamaha drive. Those lasers are easier to find than the R48.

Virtua Hunter
07-31-2020, 06:04 PM
can you even switch between samsung and yamaha drives?
I always knew they had different screws.

Domrez1
08-03-2020, 04:19 AM
You can as long as the voltage is the same on the drives. For example if the original is 3.3V make sure the Yamaha drive is 3.3V too. You can verify with the Power PCB if it's a 3.3v or 5v as well. Not sure if every drive came in 3.3v and 5v just stating the examples.

Domrez1
08-03-2020, 04:20 AM
I switched my Samsung for a Yamaha on a VA1 and it was a direct bolt in.

Virtua Hunter
08-04-2020, 10:47 AM
My Dc are all VA1 with 3.3v samsung drives.

So they Yamaha and Samsung are switchable after all as long as they are both 3.3v of course.
But what about the misaligned screws? Is it true?
Do you need some modification to make the screws to align?

Domrez1
08-04-2020, 09:37 PM
It was the same bolt hole placement. It was a direct fit. No modification done.

Virtua Hunter
08-05-2020, 10:05 AM
It was the same bolt hole placement. It was a direct fit. No modification done.

Thanks, I'll try with the yamaha then, I heard thay're bit quieter too compared to samsung.

Team Andromeda
08-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Thanks, I'll try with the yamaha then, I heard thay're bit quieter too compared to samsung.

No, they are far worse. My launch Japanse DC is so much louder than my USA DC and it's not all down to the Liquide cooling system on early Japanese systems. The drive it's self is very loud. Get a MODE if I was you mate :)

Virtua Hunter
08-05-2020, 10:48 AM
No, they are far worse. My launch Japanse DC is so much louder than my USA DC and it's not all down to the Liquide cooling system on early Japanese systems. The drive it's self is very loud. Get a MODE if I was you mate :)

I read there were two revision of the Yamaha drive, the 5v on the VA0 and the 3.3v on the VA1, maybe they are different for noise level?

In any case, gd rom drive noise is part of the charm of the dreamcast :D