PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo saturn cart?

Virtua Hunter
12-18-2019, 06:10 AM
I was browsing for action replay carts when I found this, a chinese "pseudo saturn" cart

What do you think of this? Any owner?
My main problem is unofficial carts has issue to be recognized by Saturn , sometimes it took 20-40 tries before make it work (but I don't have issue with official carts, so it's not a problem with saturn cart slot), is it the same with this pseudo saturn?

Team Andromeda
12-18-2019, 07:09 AM
I was browsing for action replay carts when I found this, a chinese "pseudo saturn" cart

What do you think of this? Any owner?
My main problem is unofficial carts has issue to be recognized by Saturn , sometimes it took 20-40 tries before make it work (but I don't have issue with official carts, so it's not a problem with saturn cart slot), is it the same with this pseudo saturn?

I have the white version of that cart. It works ok. it's just an Action Replay Cart. The 'pseudo' part is where someone has simple flashed the cart so one can play copies and no doubt is looking for asking for extra money for it.
You also lose the Action replay cheat functions too

SegaDreamcast
12-18-2019, 11:34 AM
I also have the Action Replay Plus version of the cart (bought it back in the day for the 4 megabyte RAM expansion). Haven't seen this red one in import stores before.

Black_Tiger
12-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Some of those red carts look different. I'm assuming that most are made in China recently and have thick pins and misc issues. It's not worth the risk to me unless I dedicate a spare console to it.

zyrobs
12-18-2019, 03:55 PM
It's safer to use a modchip if you want to play backups.

Team Andromeda
12-19-2019, 03:37 AM
I had the white version with the 1 to 4 meg switcher on it. I didn't see any major benefit being able to set the switch to either 1- meg or 4- Meg mind

https://i.imgur.com/2z4ikiR.jpg

zyrobs
12-19-2019, 04:37 AM
I had the white version with the 1 to 4 meg switcher on it. I didn't see any major benefit being able to set the switch to either 1- meg or 4- Meg mind

Three SNK games require the 1mb cart or they glitch up.

Team Andromeda
12-19-2019, 04:45 AM
Three SNK games require the 1mb cart or they glitch up.

I still had issues with SS IV on the cart, with some bad glitching and what seemed like ever more slowdown even with the switcher set to 1-Meg. Maybe the latter red ones fixed that issue
When it comes to the 1-Meg games, I'll just stick with the SEGA cart.

Virtua Hunter
12-19-2019, 06:55 AM
So it's just an action replay, I'll pass.
Just looking for a good cart to play imports, that work without issues unlike the ones I already have.

Team Andromeda
12-20-2019, 04:56 AM
So it's just an action replay, I'll pass.
Just looking for a good cart to play imports, that work without issues unlike the ones I already have.

I know it sort of defeats the point. But if you had a modded Saturn you can flash the Action replay yourself.
It's quite east and 2 of my mates & brother have done it and it makes playing back up that little bit easier

Virtua Hunter
12-20-2019, 08:49 AM
I know it sort of defeats the point. But if you had a modded Saturn you can flash the Action replay yourself.
It's quite east and 2 of my mates & brother have done it and it makes playing back up that little bit easier

I see, but I'm not interested un playing backup.
I'll wait for Satiator in future to play translated games like Sakura but as Iso, without the risk of wearing the laser with burned games.

Right now I only need a new cart to play japanese and us games on my pal Saturn.
I thought this pseudo saturn cart had a better PCB than action reaplay cart, didn't know it was just the same PCB hacked to play backups :)

evilevoix
12-20-2019, 09:15 AM

I think 1 Meg works better with SNK games like Metal Slug.

Team Andromeda
12-20-2019, 09:26 AM
I see, but I'm not interested un playing backup.

I wasn't but with Sakura Wars and Grandia being translated. I'm going to have my brother flash one of my Action Replay cards

gamevet
01-15-2020, 01:32 AM

I've heard that the Western version of Marvel Super Heroes works better with a 1 meg cart. It would be interesting to see if that is true.

zyrobs
01-15-2020, 01:54 AM
I've heard that the Western version of Marvel Super Heroes works better with a 1 meg cart. It would be interesting to see if that is true.

Urban legend, the game is slow as shit either way.

gamevet
01-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Itís only slow when you have 2 large players on screen like Hulk. X-Men COTA has much worse slowdown.

StuOhQ
03-08-2020, 05:19 PM
I haven't experienced any issues with mine. Not saying they're never coming, but so far so good :)