PDA

View Full Version : Good Saturn games under $100

AlexKidd
01-13-2020, 02:11 AM
Hey guys, I was a fool and sold my Saturn and games for peanuts years ago. I was avoiding buying another one since the prices of games have gone up so much and I prefer cartridges to cds in general.

However, it was the only Sega system I didn't own and I missed the system and some of the games I enjoyed on it in the past. Also still intrigued about some other ones I've never played. I just gave in and purchased a Saturn, Nights Into Dreams and a pro action replay cartridge. I know my wallet will hate me later. Just wanted some opinions and suggestions on good games for the system that still typically go for less than $100.

My favorite genres are generally platformers/sidescrollers, shmups and fighters. I like racing games too. I'm open to any games that are decent though.

ComradeOj
01-13-2020, 02:30 AM
Darius Gaiden is one my my favorite SHMUPS. It's been creeping up in price over the years, but should be easy to find under $100. This was one of those games that made me regret selling my Saturn when I was a kid.

Other cheap(ish) picks:

Daytona USA

Virtua Fighter 1 & 2

Virtua Cop

F1 challenge

Tomb Raider

Croc

Bug 1 & 2

Clockwork Knight 1 & 2

TrekkiesUnite118
01-13-2020, 03:27 AM
If you can play imports look into the following as these all have fully playable English patches available now:

Sakura Wars
Grandia
Policenauts
Dragon Force II
Linkle Liver Story
Shining Force III Sc. 2
Shining Force III Sc. 3

Last I checked all of those can be had for ~$10-$20.

Bloodreign
01-13-2020, 08:58 AM
Samurai Shodown 3 and 4 double pack
Real Bout and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special double pack
Puyo Puyo Tsuu
Puyo Puyo Sun
Layer Section last I checked
Japanese version of Saturn Bomberman (the best Bomberman ever created)
Tokimeki Memorial Taisen Puzzle Dama
Tokimeki Memorial Taisen Tokkae Dama
Virtua Fighter Remix
Puzzle Bobble 2X
Puzzle Bobble 3
Magical Drop II
Magical Drop 3
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Vampire Savior
Vampire Hunter
King of Fighters 96
King of Fighters 97
World Heroes Perfect
Fighters History Dynamite (this one is creeping up though)

These are ones I managed to get for cheap, I managed to get a couple others cheap by sheer luck ($20 Elevator Action Returns, $25 Kingdom Grandprix), but can't recommend them because luck like that doesn't tend to strike twice.

zyrobs
01-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Shanghai Triple Threat

gamevet
01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
You probably should have bought the PAR 4M plus. That way you could enjoy the 4MB Capcom Fighters like X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Cyberbots and Vampire Savior.

SEGA Rally 95í is a must own.
Manx-TT Superbike
Virtua Cop
Wipeout
Hang-on GP

I donít know if you like pinball, but if you do, I highly recommend picking up Last Gladiators Pinball, and itís sequel, Necronomicom.

Leynos
01-13-2020, 04:37 PM
You can find the Japanese version of Guardian Heroes for about $40

I got Panzer Dragoon Zweii for cheap. Same with Azure.

Many RPGs are mega cheap. Like less than $10.

Last Bronx
Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty
Snatcher
Policenauts
Shining Wisdom
Area 51
Assault Suit Leynos 2
I got Astal for $40
Virtual On was cheap for me.

I have not kept up on prices so some of these I got a couple years ago.

gamevet
01-13-2020, 06:35 PM
I never bought Japanese RPGs, because I donít speak moon language. Kind of defeats half the purpose of playing them.

Leynos
01-13-2020, 08:24 PM
I never bought Japanese RPGs, because I donít speak moon language. Kind of defeats half the purpose of playing them.

Shadows if the Tusk is in English. Also, I have played so many RPGs and Grandia so many times I was still able to finish it. Plus there are some fan translations I can just follow online for what is what.

gamevet
01-13-2020, 09:39 PM
Iíve played Grandia on the PS. Still, itís such a large game, that having to look up what people are saying would just suck the fun out of it. I would probably do it for a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga, since the story is pretty simple and the game mostly focuses on riding your dragon, but I already have the North American version.

I need to get that modified 4M+ cart so I can pick up the English fan patched version of Policenauts. Iíve been dying to play it.

Lync
01-13-2020, 11:12 PM
I need to get that modified 4M+ cart so I can pick up the English fan patched version of Policenauts. Iíve been dying to play it.

I really didn't get Policenauts.

Snatcher was great, but Policenauts just infuriated me... it's a bastardization of Lethal Weapon in space, with more sexual harassment than any actual plot or game play, and even more doo-doo-doo-do-do-do than you will ever know what to do with.

I'd play Nextech's Linkle Liver Story.

Team Andromeda
01-14-2020, 04:39 AM
Most of the better Saturn games can be got for less than $100

Die Hard Arcade
Darius Gaiden
Soukyugurentai
Bug II
Virtual Cop
Mass Destruction
The Game Paradise
Thunder Force V
Fighters Mega Mix
Last Bronx
X Men: COTA
Panzer Dragoon 1 and II
Clockwork Knight II
Samurai Shodown III
Sega Rally
Dead or Alive
The King of Fighters 96
Out Laws of the Lost Dynasty

AlexKidd
01-14-2020, 06:28 AM
Darius Gaiden is one my my favorite SHMUPS. It's been creeping up in price over the years, but should be easy to find under $100. This was one of those games that made me regret selling my Saturn when I was a kid.

Other cheap(ish) picks:

Daytona USA

Virtua Fighter 1 & 2

Virtua Cop

F1 challenge

Tomb Raider

Croc

Bug 1 & 2

Clockwork Knight 1 & 2

Darius Gaiden is probably the one I regret selling the most. One of the best games I've played on the system and on my list for sure. It has gone up in price a lot (I think I only paid $20) but still not quite $100.

AlexKidd
01-14-2020, 06:34 AM
You probably should have bought the PAR 4M plus. That way you could enjoy the 4MB Capcom Fighters like X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Cyberbots and Vampire Savior.

SEGA Rally 95í is a must own.
Manx-TT Superbike
Virtua Cop
Wipeout
Hang-on GP

I donít know if you like pinball, but if you do, I highly recommend picking up Last Gladiators Pinball, and itís sequel, Necronomicom.

That is the version of the Pro Action Replay I got so I should be able to play those games. Vampire Savior looks like a great fighter. I've never really got a chance to play that series.

Thanks for the pinball recommendations too. I didn't realize there were a bunch of pinball games on the Saturn. They all seem to be cheap too. I already scooped a copy of Last Gladiators.

Team Andromeda
01-14-2020, 06:51 AM
I already scooped a copy of Last Gladiators.

If you like Pinball games be sure to get the overlooked and underrated Fantastic Pinball on the Saturn and also the amazing Digital Pinball: Necronomicon.

AlexKidd
01-17-2020, 01:34 AM
Figured this wasn't worth making it's own thread for but was wondering if Christmas Nights is import friendly? Seems like the Japanese version is a lot cheaper.

SegaDreamcast
01-22-2020, 05:24 PM
The most common U.S. title on eBay used to be that 3 game promotional pack-in. From what I see, it still sells for under $100.

Leynos
01-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Attachment doesn't work but last I bought it a few years ago it was $20 new on Ebay. I think the Arcade stick new in box is still cheap.

SegaDreamcast
01-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Attachment doesn't work but last I bought it a few years ago it was $20 new on Ebay. I think the Arcade stick new in box is still cheap.

Odd, works for me even when not logged in. But yeah, it's just a photo of the box/cover. Price on the Arcade Stick likely hasn't increased too much unless it's factory sealed since there's so many custom ones people use. The Virtual On Twin Stick might run a lot more though.

redsox2013
01-23-2020, 01:41 AM
First, I'll assume you have the $30 Action Replay which region unlocks your Saturn and adds 1/4MB RAM cart compatibility. No Saturn collection is complete without it - it does so much for so little.

Christmas Nights (I think the Japanese version is the same as the U.S. but much cheaper)
Fighter's Megamix
Fighting Vipers (Japanese version with Pepsiman character)
Sega Rally
Marvel Super Heroes (Japanese version is much cheaper than U.S. version) & Marvel vs. Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Outrun (Japanese stand alone version which adds remixed music tracks)
Galactic Attack
Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 (the U.S. versions are getting more expensive but Japanese versions are still cheap)
Virtua Cop 2
World Series Baseball 97 (best sprite based baseball game ever) & 98 (some ugly polygons but plays great)
NBA Jam TE - you've probably played it numerous times elsewhere but the Saturn port may be the best home conversion. Always a fun game.

If you want disc only, you can probably pick up most of the games I've listed for around $100 - $150 total. Most Japanese games are still in original cases as they used CD style cases which didn't break very often compared to U.S. longboxes.