PDA

View Full Version : My Game Gear is becoming unplayable

Leynos
03-05-2020, 05:50 PM
I don't play it that often but in January I did get a new game for it for the first time in forever. Ninja Gaiden and I don't remember my screen being so washed out. I knew it wasn't great but it used to look better. This Game Gear is sentimental to me as well. What are my options for someone who is limited on budget (also no CC) and no modding skills? I see these consoles all the time for 80 bucks that play old console games. Anything cheap like that for handhelds or even play on TV? I don't care either way. I know of that analog thing but it's $200 plus attachments with insane shipping.

Why not repair this GG is it means so much? I never did get a power adapter and it would be nice to play these games on something that looks nicer. If getting the screen replaced is my only option I'm still down for it. Tho I think I am ready to finally dive into these clone systems. Only used genuine hardware.

MrMatthews
03-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Does one of the Retrons play Game Gear?

Raijin Z
03-06-2020, 04:41 AM
If you have a fondness for the system, nostalgia, then see about getting the screen replacement mod done. My Game Gears will forever gather dust, as I didn't have one as a kid, and thus, formed no attachment to the system.

SegaDreamcast
03-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Does one of the Retrons play Game Gear?

There was actually a 3-in-1 adapter for the Game Gear, Master System cartridges, and Master System Cards. It's around 60 dollars new. Don't own the adapter myself though, so can't comment how it is.

Assault9
03-08-2020, 12:42 PM
There was actually a 3-in-1 adapter for the Game Gear, Master System cartridges, and Master System Cards. It's around 60 dollars new. Don't own the adapter myself though, so can't comment how it is.

I have the Retron 5 Adapter and it's terrible for playing Game Gear games. The biggest problem is compatibility with some games being unplayable (Ax Battler) to screwed up color palettes (Castle of Illusion, Outrun Europa, etc) and some games with graphical glitches (Surf Ninjas). About a third of my Game Gear games won't work or won't work properly with this thing even though they work perfectly on normal hardware. The Retro Freak system had a GG adapter and not surprisingly it has all of the same problems as the Retron 5 one does, probably due using the same emulator/software.

TheGreyGhost
03-08-2020, 03:30 PM
If you're on a budget, hunt for another one somewhere. I know absolutely no one who keeps them these days. Of course, you'll have to search for a while since you mostly find broken ones.
Alternatively, dive in and do the sobering. All the fixing I've done in the past has turned out just fine. I learned from scratch and don't feel like I've ever done and outstanding job and yet that little brick bastard is robust and works.

Because of the nostalgia, I still prefer playing on the original. Next best thing would be to install the TV out mod, although you said you're not really into that.

Leynos
03-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Thanks all. I am just down for a better picture TV or Handheld. We are supposed to get a new SEGA Nomad this year so maybe they will do a GG next? Who knows. If it really comes down to it I will have to find some way to get that analogue portable system.

SegaDreamcast
03-08-2020, 05:24 PM
I have the Retron 5 Adapter and it's terrible for playing Game Gear games. The biggest problem is compatibility with some games being unplayable (Ax Battler) to screwed up color palettes (Castle of Illusion, Outrun Europa, etc) and some games with graphical glitches (Surf Ninjas). About a third of my Game Gear games won't work or won't work properly with this thing even though they work perfectly on normal hardware. The Retro Freak system had a GG adapter and not surprisingly it has all of the same problems as the Retron 5 one does, probably due using the same emulator/software.

Thanks for the insight, I personally didn't want to invest further in the Retron 5 after discovering how tightly cartridges get stuck in it. Feels like you're gonna break the cart or the system almost anytime you take a game out. Not worth damaging potential rare carts on it imo. I know some people use SD cards on it which sidesteps the issue but I legit got mine just to replay Pac Man 2 and TMNT again. Not sure if things have changed for the cart slot's snugness since the initial launch batch in that regard. I was an early adopter, pre-ordered it back when it was announced.

TheGreyGhost
03-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Thanks all. I am just down for a better picture TV or Handheld. We are supposed to get a new SEGA Nomad this year so maybe they will do a GG next? Who knows. If it really comes down to it I will have to find some way to get that analogue portable system.

Sega Game Gear Mini! ;) please....maybe...hopefully.....

StuOhQ
03-29-2020, 02:14 PM
I don't play it that often but in January I did get a new game for it for the first time in forever. Ninja Gaiden and I don't remember my screen being so washed out. I knew it wasn't great but it used to look better. This Game Gear is sentimental to me as well. What are my options for someone who is limited on budget (also no CC) and no modding skills? I see these consoles all the time for 80 bucks that play old console games. Anything cheap like that for handhelds or even play on TV? I don't care either way. I know of that analog thing but it's $200 plus attachments with insane shipping.

Why not repair this GG is it means so much? I never did get a power adapter and it would be nice to play these games on something that looks nicer. If getting the screen replaced is my only option I'm still down for it. Tho I think I am ready to finally dive into these clone systems. Only used genuine hardware.

Just got a Game Gear and while it's playable, I can certainly understand the popularity of the McWill mod. Mine might just need some new caps, though. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-U57bEFgq8/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

profholt82
03-30-2020, 12:46 AM
I've been playing a lot of Star Wars and Shinobi on Game Gear lately. My buddy hooked me up with an adaptor for the Mega SG, works pretty well (it's the updated 1.1 version). I've found that Outrun Europa and Road Rash are not much fun sadly. But dang, I wish they had released Star Wars for Genesis, that could have been great.

StuOhQ
04-04-2020, 08:41 AM
I've been playing a lot of Star Wars and Shinobi on Game Gear lately. My buddy hooked me up with an adaptor for the Mega SG, works pretty well (it's the updated 1.1 version). I've found that Outrun Europa and Road Rash are not much fun sadly. But dang, I wish they had released Star Wars for Genesis, that could have been great.

I wish I had someone to hit me up with one of those! Waited forever for the release and then missed it despite checking the site multiple times a day for months lol

profholt82
04-04-2020, 12:00 PM
I wish I had someone to hit me up with one of those! Waited forever for the release and then missed it despite checking the site multiple times a day for months lol
Yeah, it seems their stuff often goes out of stock within days, and then takes months to come back into stock. Surely they'd make tons more money if they manufactured more units. But I'm no businessman, and they seem to be doing quite well, so they're doing something right.

As far as my unit, I've got a buddy who buys everything Analogue puts out whether he wants it or not. He's like that with many limited release items from all sorts of companies (and hobbies beyond videogames). He actually bought two because another buddy of his wanted the adaptors for one of the earlier systems (SG-1000 and or Mark III I think), so I told him I'd take the Game Gear adaptor because that's the only one I was really interested in. I ended up picking up a few rare vintage Bluegrass records for him in trade, and he was happy (Tony Rice if you've ever heard of him). But basically I got lucky, I mean, it's not like I was able to go on their website and order it.

profholt82
04-04-2020, 12:26 PM
And it's much easier playing these games on a television. I'd actually been looking for something like this for years. How does Sega not have an answer to the Super Boy? It's unconscionable! Hahahaha

Here she is in action, Star Wars is a great game btw...
https://i.imgur.com/Nk9EdMN.jpg

Blades
04-04-2020, 01:10 PM
The Game Gears are dying from old capacitors. Pretty simple fix. Washed out screen, bad sound, etc.

Leynos
04-05-2020, 02:28 AM
That adapter looks sweet. I wish a cheap clone console would make a slot. Why can't retron just make a console for Game Boy, Game Gear, Lynx, and Neo Geo Pocket for like 80-100 bucks?

StuOhQ
04-05-2020, 05:50 PM
And it's much easier playing these games on a television. I'd actually been looking for something like this for years. How does Sega not have an answer to the Super Boy? It's unconscionable! Hahahaha

Here she is in action, Star Wars is a great game btw...
https://i.imgur.com/Nk9EdMN.jpg

The beauty of GG graphics on large screens just makes me happy :) https://www.instagram.com/p/B4tNqv7FNOX/

I've been playing some games from ROMs with the SG jailbreak until I can snag an official adapter.

profholt82
04-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Looking at that pic now, I should have checked the dither blending box. I forget to turn it on sometimes, and should really just save it in the settings at this point (just on its lowest setting helps a lot). It's just that on some games, that feature doesn't look right, but most of the time it helps tremendously. I was playing Xmen 2 Clone Wars over the weekend, and dither blending was a necessity.

But looking at Obi Wan's face, you can see the cross hatch pattern. That blends together nicely and looks much better with the dither blending mode turned on.

Baloo
06-03-2020, 10:18 PM
I didn't realize Star Wars on GG was kind of a Zillion clone. Pretty neat.

Moirai
08-15-2020, 01:58 AM
First thing i would do is get your gamegear recapped. Itís not exactly a beginner project, but iím sure someone here could do it at a reasonable price.

cabear
11-06-2020, 10:45 PM
rg350 and a game gear rom set and you'll have a very similar experience, with a better screen and controls.

eeplox
12-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Yeah they need to be recapped so often that I've just given up on playing mine.

My original Game Gear when I was a kid had a weird problem where the dpad constantly pressed right, so I could only play certain sidescrollers like Wonder Boy. If I played a racing game, the car would just go right into the ditch, and if it was a sidescroller that needed you to go both left and right, it wasn't playable. I still played Wonder Boy on it for years after the problem developed tho. Probably could fix it easily today if it hadn't been stolen.