PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Retro Bit "official Sega" pads? Are they good?

Orchid87
04-07-2020, 01:20 PM
I mean these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Official-Sega-Saturn-Control-Pad/dp/B07P16WC6V

I'd like to get a couple but would like to know how do they compare to the original Saturn pads. Anyone tried?

IrishNinja
04-07-2020, 01:47 PM
folks online have been pretty praising, but yeah, no hands-on impressions of my own yet. build quality looks legit, and that's not a bad price to try it out either.

Silanda
04-07-2020, 02:36 PM
I haven't used the Saturn ones but I have got two of the Mega Drive USB pads and I assume the Saturn pads will be similar.

They're pretty good. They feel good, with springy buttons that don't require too much pressure and have IMO the right amount of travel. There's a bit of wobble in the d-pad that isn't there in my original pads though, and my first only lasted a year before the A button started to stick. My impression from taking the now faulty pad apart is that while they're using the same moulds as the original pads, the build quality/tolerances aren't quite as good. There were bits of plastic flash left on some parts while everything on my old Sega pads looked cut really cleanly. To be fair, that was one of the earliest ones produced though, so it's possible that they've improved (my newer second pad feels better than the first).

The initial run of the Saturn pads had a problem with the d-pad breaking, and I think some had problems with the C button sticking (probably an issue with that flash I mentioned), but AFAIK those problems were corrected after they were discovered.

CrossBow
04-07-2020, 03:12 PM
I do have one of the Saturn pads and it is currently my daily use controller. To me it feels just like the original only a bit more responsive since it is new of course. I also own one of their Genesis 6 button pads and it too has replaced my original 6-button pad as the new daily driver controller for my Genesis. I like them alot although I have seen reports from other website etc. stating that the shoulder buttons on the Saturn pad aren't good? They work for me and I don't know many games I play on the Saturn that even used them so maybe I'm not the best judge for that...but they work fine to me.

Virtua Hunter
04-07-2020, 05:21 PM
I read on multiple occasions that both Mega Drive and Saturn retrobit controller had issues with d-pad.

So this problem was addessed in the end?

Silanda
04-07-2020, 06:43 PM
I read on multiple occasions that both Mega Drive and Saturn retrobit controller had issues with d-pad.

So this problem was addessed in the end?

There are two problems that I'm aware of.

The first is that some early pads had components which were either too thin or made of weak plastic, and that caused the d-pad to break after a short amount of time. The d-pad would end up falling off IIRC. That's been fixed.

The second is that the d-pad can be pushed down, causing all four directions to potentially press simultaneously and making 360 movements trickier (I'm terrible at them on any pad TBH). AFAIK this has not been fixed, but some pads are apparently worse than others. Comparing my Retro Bit Mega Drive pad to my originals, the d-pads in the originals don't have as much travel and feel more sensitive. Although their d-pads can be pushed down too, they feel like something is stopping it going all the way. Also, the Retro Bit d-pads wobble in the housing (my first pad wobbles much more than the second), the originals don't at all (mine don't anyway). Retro Bit claim that their pads are being manufactured to the original specs, and the rubber parts and buttons are interchangeable with the original parts, but something must be different.

I'd still recommend them, and I don't have any problems pulling off fighting game moves (except those 360s). They're just not quite as good as the originals, but AFAIK they're closer than any other clone pad (except the SLS USB Saturn pads, but those were actually made by Sega).

Virtua Hunter
04-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Thank you for the info Silanda, maybe I'll try to gen one since they are cheap, hope I don't get one of the first units ^^

Wish i got one of those SLS Saturn pads or the Saturn PS2 pad back in the day... :(

MushaAleste
04-09-2020, 10:02 PM
The RetroBit Saturn pads are useless. I had two of them. With both pads the C Button would get stuck in the housing. The hard plastic parts on these pads are pretty solid. The rubber membranes are total rubbish. And that causes all kinds of issues with the D-Pad and the buttons.

Silanda
04-10-2020, 08:00 AM
The RetroBit Saturn pads are useless. I had two of them. With both pads the C Button would get stuck in the housing. The hard plastic parts on these pads are pretty solid. The rubber membranes are total rubbish. And that causes all kinds of issues with the D-Pad and the buttons.

I'm pretty sure that the membrane in my first Mega Drive pad is partially why the A button started sticking. It looks like it's started to split around the button edge and isn't pushing up hard enough. I replaced the membranes with ones from a broken original pad, but that doesn't quite feel right. Interestingly, the membranes in my new pad are different. Well, a different colour at least.

The C button issue in the Saturn pads has supposed to have been fixed. I guess the problem is that some faulty pads could still be in the supply chain if they weren't recalled.

MushaAleste
04-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Glad to hear they finally fixed that. But to be honest i am so happy with my M30's i have no need for the janky RetroBit stuff.

Dirt Ball Gamer
04-12-2020, 12:30 PM
Yeah the M30's are terrific. I have a pair of wireless saturn controllers that have given me some issues, mostly with the batteries not holding charge like they should and also trouble connecting to their receivers. They seem kind of randomly hit or miss. Could be that I just got a lousy pair. I think they were from retro bit but I'll have to check when I get home.

But I am pretty excited about the retro bit redesigned dreamcast controllers they just announced. Late 2020 they think they will be ready. Six face buttons, a better d-pad, moved the triggers a bit, and a new analog stick. If the quality is good they might be the best dreamcast controllers.

PreZZ
04-12-2020, 08:25 PM
I got 2 genesis wireless controllers and have issues with both. They keep disconnecting, and the dpad and buttons are not as good as og sega. M30 is so much better. The Land R buttons are useless and flimsy

Orchid87
04-13-2020, 06:00 AM
There is so much praise for M30ís but man, they are some of the ugliest looking 6 button pads around.

gamevet
04-13-2020, 11:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that the membrane in my first Mega Drive pad is partially why the A button started sticking. It looks like it's started to split around the button edge and isn't pushing up hard enough. I replaced the membranes with ones from a broken original pad, but that doesn't quite feel right. Interestingly, the membranes in my new pad are different. Well, a different colour at least.

The C button issue in the Saturn pads has supposed to have been fixed. I guess the problem is that some faulty pads could still be in the supply chain if they weren't recalled.

My local MicroCenter has them, but Iím afraid they might be that 1st run of bad controllers.