PDA

View Full Version : Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Greg2600
04-17-2020, 10:31 PM
I suppose this could be posted to Saturn topic as well, but......Fully compatible with ALL revisions on both systems! Full 21st century menu GUI!

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpnjd8QVks&t=200s

Pre-order (Currently estimated to ship in late-June/early-July)

Introducing MODE (Multi Optical Disc Emulator) for SEGA Saturn & Dreamcast!

•Auto region patching (loads games from different regions without patching games)
• Auto detects the console it's plugged into. No jumpers to configure.
• SATA 2.5 HDD compatible with exfat (works with both hard drives and SSD drives)
• MicroSD
• USB for USB thumbdrives and powered USB hard drives

100% compatible with all Saturn and Dreamcast games!

• Compatible with Redump and Tosec images (for both Dreamcast/Saturn)
• Compatible with CDI, GDI, CCD, MDF, bin/iso+cue images
• Plug and play, no soldering required!
• 2 User interfaces: Simple list view and Advanced Cover Art
• Supports multiple Disc games
• Zero seek times providing faster load times
• Supports Mpeg card, ActionReplay/PseudoSaturnKai, Saturn RAM cart compatible
• DC Digital, DreamPSU and PicoPSU compatible

Black_Tiger
04-17-2020, 11:13 PM
I'll buy one to use for Saturn for sure and later get one for Dreamcast.

It's priceless to be able run proper DC game images. Hopefully it will encourage more fan translations.

Team Andromeda
04-18-2020, 05:46 AM
I'll buy one to use for Saturn for sure and later get one for Dreamcast.

It's priceless to be able run proper DC game images. Hopefully it will encourage more fan translations.

Same here. Already put the order in for one and if its works and runs as it does in the vids. Shall be getting another one, worth it alone to cut the noise of the DC disc access

roce
04-18-2020, 06:05 AM
182 eur + customs + taxes, kinda a lot for an ODE. Though they do promise good features.

Black_Tiger
04-18-2020, 12:54 PM
182 eur + customs + taxes, kinda a lot for an ODE. Though they do promise good features.

I keep seeing people post comments like this with each of their new products. Every time there is either nothing remotely like it or the only similar products are unobtable because resellers control the market and they're products that prople have complained about up until that point.

The best example I always give is if you are a collectard or someone who still buys physical copies of games, how is the price of 4 games too expensive?

roce
04-18-2020, 01:28 PM
Saturn's Fenrir is ~100e, PSIO ~90e.

Leynos
04-18-2020, 02:26 PM
Expensive and I have no idea how to install it. Oh well. Cool tho

zyrobs
04-18-2020, 03:15 PM
I keep seeing people post comments like this with each of their new products. Every time there is either nothing remotely like it or the only similar products are unobtable because resellers control the market and they're products that prople have complained about up until that point.

The best example I always give is if you are a collectard or someone who still buys physical copies of games, how is the price of 4 games too expensive?

It's competing with the price of a modchip/pseudosaturn cart, stack of CDRs, and a new optical pickup.

As it stands right now, a Fenrir or Satiator + chink gdemu clone will be cheaper.

edit: not sure if it was pointed out, but the current price for the terraonion ode is right now a Preorder price - final device price could be different, perhaps even more expensive.

Black_Tiger
04-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Saturn's Fenrir is ~100e, PSIO ~90e.

From what I understand Fenrir is so hard to get that you can't even pay a gouger for one. If it weren't for MODE, Fenrir would have been destined to realistically only be available on the secondary market for hundreds of dollars. Doesn't it also only support one model of Saturn?

PSIO has warnings that it requires an "intermmediate" level of modding of hardware. Even if it was plug 'n play, the potential market is 100+ miillion. The return on investment is unlimited.

MODE is the kind of product for people who buy Everdrives instead of crude flashcarts which require file and folder customization.

Something else to keep in mind is that the only fully functional SNES and N64 flash carts are around the same price as MODE, even though they also have a massive potential market.

Black_Tiger
04-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Expensive and I have no idea how to install it. Oh well. Cool tho

Looks like you unscrew some screws, unplug the cd drive, plug in the MODE and screw the screws back in.

Gryson
04-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Price might be high, but yeah, I think it is justifiable given the product. I mean, nothing else comes close to the support and functions that it has at (presumably) the level of quality.

For what you get, I don't really even feel that the price is that high.

Team Andromeda
04-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Spot on . Plus it no doubt be a better product and far easier for most people to buy . Can't wait for mine to ship and it will almost be a GOD send to no longer have to endure the DC loading sounds and it be so good , to have all my Saturn games able to all be stored on the Harddrive and all able to be played on a stock Saturn .

Leynos
04-18-2020, 05:47 PM
I'd get it if I had a credit card. I just can't seem to get one because I have no credit history. Why I miss out on this kinda stuff all the time. I was hoping for the stimulus check for the polymega but they have yet to send it and the Polymega is sold out. I heard Walmart will sell them but that is $100 more than what Poly was asking. WTF? So It just seems I will have to rely on real hardware til they all die and just move on after that.

Greg2600
04-18-2020, 07:22 PM

Terraonion are not pricing against the cheaper products. They are offering a true professionally done retail product, one that offers the most features, slickest menu's, and easiest to use. Everything they make sells out constantly.

It's competing with the price of a modchip/pseudosaturn cart, stack of CDRs, and a new optical pickup.

As it stands right now, a Fenrir or Satiator + chink gdemu clone will be cheaper.

edit: not sure if it was pointed out, but the current price for the terraonion ode is right now a Preorder price - final device price could be different, perhaps even more expensive.

Probably not that different, and may still be cheaper than the PC-Engine CD thing they sell. As I said, they're not competing with folks who want to go the cheapest route, and are welcome to. I personally can't be bothered with those routes, and I find GDEMU (i've had one forever) to be a nuisance to setup on the SD cards.

Black_Tiger
04-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Fenrir may approach the MODE down the road, but it doesn't even support games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV and I assume Sakura Wars (I haven't played through to disc 2).

They seem to be releasing tiny batches at set times the same as what led to Phoebe/Rhea gouging. If they are releasing it before it's finished and have difficulty with production, chances are updates will slow to a crawl.

I believe that Satiator is still another work in progress relying on donations.

This like people who want to wait until an upcoming console generation winds down or gets retired, so they can buy one "cheap".

It's only theoretically cheap to wait years for an alternate product to potentially reach completion or the same functional equivalent of an "expensive" device ready ship in a few weeks. Even if it ever happens you still missed out on years of actual game playing.

Joe Redifer
04-19-2020, 03:28 AM
One thing that's nice is that the MODE will play any region game on any region console. From what I've heard, many/most of the other ODEs do not do that. Hell the GDEMU doesn't even come with a GUI, you have to use a seperate app to cobble one together and then your SD card is filled with numbered folders that are hard to identify. From what I gather, with MODE you'll be able to put folders on the card/drive with real names. You can also divide your games into categories (US, JP, Homebrew, etc etc etc just like all of your other flash carts). No taking that card/drive into an app to get it ready, etc. Also it reads actual usable image formats in the case of the Saturn. I really like being able to use a SATA drive. Or rather I will once I get one. It's easier to source a large SATA drive than an SD card and for cheaper as well. I don't see many 2 TB SD cards. That's because SD cards are for wimps *hides my SD cards from view*.

roce
04-19-2020, 04:36 AM
From what I understand Fenrir is so hard to get that you can't even pay a gouger for one. If it weren't for MODE, Fenrir would have been destined to realistically only be available on the secondary market for hundreds of dollars. Doesn't it also only support one model of Saturn?

PSIO has warnings that it requires an "intermmediate" level of modding of hardware. Even if it was plug 'n play, the potential market is 100+ miillion. The return on investment is unlimited.

MODE is the kind of product for people who buy Everdrives instead of crude flashcarts which require file and folder customization.

Something else to keep in mind is that the only fully functional SNES and N64 flash carts are around the same price as MODE, even though they also have a massive potential market.

Fenrir was promised to get bigger batches, but then corona happened. PSIO does require some soldering, yes. As for Everdrive prices, nope, I paid around 70e for a Super Everdrive and 90e for Everdrive64 2.5. Still less than half of this.

roce
04-19-2020, 04:42 AM
This like people who want to wait until an upcoming console generation winds down or gets retired, so they can buy one "cheap".

It's only theoretically cheap to wait years for an alternate product to potentially reach completion or the same functional equivalent of an "expensive" device ready ship in a few weeks. Even if it ever happens you still missed out on years of actual game playing.
Lol, this is me. I'd never pay over 100e for a console, hard limit. Indeed I get years late to game X, but my backlog is so huge it doesn't really matter. I mean I'm only up to Wii U right now in my backlog, even if I bought a new console on release day, I'd get around to actually playing it several years after in every case haha.

cleeg
04-19-2020, 03:49 PM
Wow. If I hadn't jumped on the Rhea and GDEmu boat I'd have been all over this one. Looks like a good, faff free upgrade.

Greg2600
04-19-2020, 06:08 PM
One thing that's nice is that the MODE will play any region game on any region console. From what I've heard, many/most of the other ODEs do not do that. Hell the GDEMU doesn't even come with a GUI, you have to use a seperate app to cobble one together and then your SD card is filled with numbered folders that are hard to identify. From what I gather, with MODE you'll be able to put folders on the card/drive with real names. You can also divide your games into categories (US, JP, Homebrew, etc etc etc just like all of your other flash carts). No taking that card/drive into an app to get it ready, etc. Also it reads actual usable image formats in the case of the Saturn. I really like being able to use a SATA drive. Or rather I will once I get one. It's easier to source a large SATA drive than an SD card and for cheaper as well. I don't see many 2 TB SD cards. That's because SD cards are for wimps *hides my SD cards from view*.

Those were the points I was making.

Fenrir was promised to get bigger batches, but then corona happened. PSIO does require some soldering, yes. As for Everdrive prices, nope, I paid around 70e for a Super Everdrive and 90e for Everdrive64 2.5. Still less than half of this.

Well the Super Everdrive is how many years old? Ditto ED64 2.5 and you likely got board only or just a generic case. Both of those have been replaced by Krikzz with more advanced features and compatibility, and the price went up like 75% on those. If you get something "deluxe" that say Stone Age Gamer offers, like I do, the price gets pretty high. But again, Terraonion is priced at the higher end. You're getting a complete product.

Black_Tiger
04-19-2020, 06:58 PM

The Super Everdrive doesn't play or do everything that a fully functional flashcart does. The budget Everdrive 64 requires reseting to save and doesn't support games with clocks.

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/snes/carts/fxpak-pro/

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/nintendo-64/carts/everdrive64-x7/

A 15 year old tototek flash card that holds one game at a time is not equal to something like the MegaSD, but it is cheaper.

roce
04-20-2020, 05:12 AM
The Super Everdrive doesn't play or do everything that a fully functional flashcart does. The budget Everdrive 64 requires reseting to save and doesn't support games with clocks.

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/snes/carts/fxpak-pro/

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/nintendo-64/carts/everdrive64-x7/

A 15 year old tototek flash card that holds one game at a time is not equal to something like the MegaSD, but it is cheaper.
You are cherry-picking; the N64 library includes exactly one game with a clock. ED64 2.5 has merely 99.99% compatibility, the one clock title (Animal Forest Japan) and Pokemon Stadium 2 excepted every single title works. For you to keep that attitude constant, you'd need to blast this product if even one title fails with it, given you blast ED64 for two titles.

Fxpak/ex-sd2snes supports some expansion chips, but not all. So I wouldn't call it "fully functional" either. It supports a couple dozen more titles.

@Greg2600
Both came with a good-quality case, and both are still actively produced and sold. There are higher-end options for people who want such; however comparing those Everdrives to MODE is both apples and oranges, and even then they are still cheaper. I would put PSIO at the same quality level, and the price difference is massive - there are far cheaper methods for PS1, PSIO *is* the deluxe option there.

Gryson
04-20-2020, 10:22 AM
I would put PSIO at the same quality level, and the price difference is massive - there are far cheaper methods for PS1, PSIO *is* the deluxe option there.

This PSIO?

https://www.retrorgb.com/psio-re-reviews.html

The PSIO that requires soldering a board to the console? And a lot of games require patching before they work?

Sure, it might be $75 cheaper than Terraonion's MODE, but it seems that the MODE is a much better product.

turboxray
04-20-2020, 02:11 PM

Not really. For the list of features, it's perfectly reasonable. And it's not like this break the bank or anything.

roce
04-20-2020, 02:33 PM
Hm, looks like there are 24 US titles that would need copy protection patches, until they add sub-channel support. Certainly a downside if you like those specific games and don't want to go to the hassle.

Sut
04-20-2020, 04:58 PM
Any suggestions for the Hard Drive ? I’ll be using this for Saturn predominantly.