PDA

View Full Version : SEGA announces Game gear Micro

Leynos
06-02-2020, 11:03 PM
http://segabits.com/blog/2020/06/02/sega-announces-game-gear-micro-handheld/

https://i.imgur.com/jnc3rPn.png

Black_Tiger
06-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Looks like Shining Force Gaiden(s) will be included.

It would be nice if they bring over English versions of the trilogy.

axel
06-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Wow. Well this was unexpected. At first thought "OK, it's a Game Gear" until I saw the second photo and realized just how tiny it is. This is like the iPod Nano of consoles. If I can put a band on that I could probably wear it like a watch.

gamevet
06-02-2020, 11:23 PM
There's no way I could even play anything on that. I was having a hard enough time seeing the screen when I recently took out my GBA SP. I couldn't believe how small that screen was.

cabear
06-02-2020, 11:41 PM
cool idea i guess

BonusKun
06-02-2020, 11:53 PM
There's no way I could even play anything on that. I was having a hard enough time seeing the screen when I recently took out my GBA SP. I couldn't believe how small that screen was.

Yeah I'm the same. This is a hard pass. Cute but my old fucking eyes would die.

zyrobs
06-03-2020, 12:31 AM
This is completely fucking useless.

turboxray
06-03-2020, 12:40 AM
Wow.. that's micro trash.

ComradeOj
06-03-2020, 12:51 AM
What is this, a handheld for ants?

Gotta admit though, it's pretty cool. Also probably unplayable with that size. Imagine putting one on a keychain and carrying it around with your keys though. :cool:

Leynos
06-03-2020, 01:08 AM
Unplayable at that size. Why not just make it the size of a GBA Micro? That would be playable. Near the same price as the MD Mini. Eh, no thanks. Now, where is that SEGA Nomad re-release we were teased last year?

EDIT Scratch that.

Game Gear MEGA (yes it's real)
https://i.imgur.com/HKjMQGS.png
https://twitter.com/iPlaySEGA/status/465894239411654656

Sik
06-03-2020, 01:24 AM
Each color has four games:
https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1268029643392778242

…um, yeah OK I'm not sure what they're expecting to get out of this (・_・) That's $184 to get all 16 games.
Also for extra irony: there's a micro variant of the magnifier (BIG WINDOW MICRO)

axel
06-03-2020, 01:41 AM
Each color has four games:
https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1268029643392778242

…um, yeah OK I'm not sure what they're expecting to get out of this (・_・) That's $184 to get all 16 games.
Also for extra irony: there's a micro variant of the magnifier (BIG WINDOW MICRO)

This is almost comical. The screen looks to be about 1.5" on the diagonal (at best) and a bunch of the games are RPGs. How can anyone read the text...oh wait they thought of that, but rather than make the unit a little bigger they added a magnifier!

This is a keychain novelty at best. If I can run CFW on it I would use it as a clock or watch.

Melf
06-03-2020, 01:44 AM
There has to be an option to play this on a TV or it's going to be a real problem. The small number of games is also disappointing. I was real excited at first, and now I don't think I'll be getting this unless there's something else about it that they haven't revealed.

Raijin Z
06-03-2020, 01:48 AM
Lord. This is what happens when you develop a product with your head in the sand.

Sik
06-03-2020, 02:05 AM
The most annoying part about all this is the price. Like, if each of them was so cheap to fall into impulse buy, I could see it working. One thing would have been if it was $46 for all four colors (then if you waste too much at least you can blame your lack of self-control), but nope.

Melf
06-03-2020, 02:13 AM
I think there's zero chance of this leaving Japan. They love tiny things, but this won't appeal to western gamers. A true GG micro console with HDMI out, wireless control options, and a slew of games would, but not this.

cowboyscowboys
06-03-2020, 02:21 AM
Maybe the Japanese will appreciate this? Dead in the water in the West I would say.

PreZZ
06-03-2020, 02:29 AM
https://youtu.be/nvdhBkB_68k
I was excited until i saw the size of it, a small game gear with 30 built in games would have been nice, but this is just pointless, its probably not playable because its too small, and only 4 games... weak

Black_Tiger
06-03-2020, 02:29 AM
This is almost comical. The screen looks to be about 1.5" on the diagonal (at best) and a bunch of the games are RPGs. How can anyone read the text...oh wait they thought of that, but rather than make the unit a little bigger they added a magnifier!

This is a keychain novelty at best. If I can run CFW on it I would use it as a clock or watch.

The screen looks to be proportionately the same size as the GBA Micro, only in the original GG aspect ratio. The screen should be at least ten times clearer than the original Game Gear, so text can only be easier to read.

The body looks larger than GBA Micro, which lots of people like. I bought one new bitd and tried to keep playing it, but went back to my SP because of the screen quality alone.

Team Andromeda
06-03-2020, 04:29 AM
Ill be getting the RED one

Mega Drive Bowlsey
06-03-2020, 04:32 AM
This was the big announcement? Oh dear. I'm not being funny but the Game Gear wasn't exactly a runaway success over here due to the shocking battery life. As advanced as it was in it's day it's not exactly something that people think of when you talk about Sega success stories.

Lan Di
06-03-2020, 04:53 AM
I actually thought this was a joke. But unfortunately it is not. This is absolute garbage. WTF is SEGA thinking??

ComradeOj
06-03-2020, 05:41 AM
I think there's zero chance of this leaving Japan. They love tiny things, but this won't appeal to western gamers. A true GG micro console with HDMI out, wireless control options, and a slew of games would, but not this.

It would be pretty cool if they could pull off a handheld/home console hybrid. A lot of these console re-releases seem capitalize to nostalgia though, and the SMS and Game Gear didn't sell very well in North America when it was out. A product like that might work in Europe or Brazil though.

Alexrd
06-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Hey, Sega. My wallet is ready for a slim (not micro) Nomad. Please and thank you.

NeoVamp
06-03-2020, 08:16 AM
https://i.imgur.com/UQtRBBp.jpg

Lets hope it does semi decent and we'll get a Game gear Maxi.

GameX
06-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Yes indeed, only 4 games huh. Cute tho but you can do better haha, maybe I'll have a look tho.

EDIT: Duplicate thread: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?35108-SEGA-announces-Game-gear-Micro&p=862396#post862396

GameX
06-03-2020, 08:42 AM
"Sega announces Game Gear Micro" OH WOW really?! :O
...Only 4 games each colors.

Dude, wasted potential, do better next time <__< :D

Also, size remind me of this: 15443

BonusKun
06-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Ill be getting the RED one

Why?

SegaAMD
06-03-2020, 10:02 AM
garbage

solution here: https://faq.sega.jp/hc/ja/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000782393

send them a message asking for fire those who suggested the idea of ​​making this product, tell them you wanted, a console. say that this product shames the company's history

be polite and offer a solution, if 40 of us do this and keep repeating the message over and over, Sega will wake up, I'm doing it, do it too

Dirt Ball Gamer
06-03-2020, 10:04 AM
So this is the big SEGA news that's supposed to "rock the gaming world" or whatever? I might pick them up at a later date after this thing falls flat on it's face and the price goes way down.

maxi
06-03-2020, 10:04 AM
It's Nintendo's fault, if they had released a GB Mini by now Sega would have something to copy and give a proper release to this.

GameX
06-03-2020, 10:11 AM
So this is the big SEGA news that's supposed to "rock the gaming world" or whatever? I might pick them up at a later date after this thing falls flat on it's face and the price goes way down.

Same, I'm just waiting for the price drop on Amazon.ca @ 30$ (canadian $ not US), THEN, MAYBE, I MIGHT consider lol =P

It also has an interrupt save function, so you may be able to see the ending of that game that could not be cleared at that time?

In addition to the 4 colors of Game Gear Micro, a new model of "Game Gear Micro Smoke" has been added, and it is a luxurious DX pack that allows you to frame and decorate all 5 types of main body.

majinga
06-03-2020, 10:27 AM
They must do something who catch the originale spirit of the console. It must take at least 8 AA and don't have to last more than 20 minutes.

Gryson
06-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Uh, no, this isn't the news that was going to "rock the gaming world" (as said by a journalist, not Sega) - that is the cloud gaming arcade service that Sega just announced.

This is clearly a novelty toy collectible for fans. I doubt it's intended to be played for more than a few minutes. It's also only getting a limited release on certain online retailers, so they aren't pushing it like they did the MD Mini.

It's clear they only expect hardcore fans/collectors to buy this thing, which is why they are only including four games per unit, and to get the magnifier attachment (to actually play the games) you have to buy all four units together.

Baloo
06-03-2020, 10:31 AM
4 games? What a joke.

Team Andromeda
06-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Why?

Looks cool and features Shinobi GG

chilled
06-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Uh, no, this isn't the news that was going to "rock the gaming world" (as said by a journalist, not Sega) - that is the cloud gaming arcade service that Sega just announced.

This is clearly a novelty toy collectible for fans. I doubt it's intended to be played for more than a few minutes. It's also only getting a limited release on certain online retailers, so they aren't pushing it like they did the MD Mini.

It's clear they only expect hardcore fans/collectors to buy this thing, which is why they are only including four games per unit, and to get the magnifier attachment (to actually play the games) you have to buy all four units together.

perfectly summed up

Black_Tiger
06-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Why?

Like the MD mini that no one here actually needed, this is a collectible. The price is the same as the tiny plastic "tower of power" you can plop on top of the MD mini.

People here brag about buying multiple variants of real and fake hardware, loved the release of tiny shooter ship figurines and got so excited over a toy Megatron that transforms into a Mega Drive that we had six threads for it.

If the Game Gear Micro was just a figurine with a light-up screen but didn't play any games, we'd already have people posting that they'd preordered it.

Gryson
06-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Like the MD mini that no one here actually needed, this is a collectible. The price is the same as the tiny plastic "tower of power" you can plop on top of the MD mini.

People here brag about buying multiple variants of real and fake hardware, loved the release of tiny shooter ship figurines and got so excited over a toy Megatron that transforms into a Mega Drive that we had six threads for it.

If the Game Gear Micro was just a figurine with a light-up screen but didn't play any games, we'd already have people posting that they'd preordered it.

Yep. Everybody screaming "it's too small for my hands!!", completely missing the point of what this is. A novelty collectible.

jrdoran
06-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Was excited to hear Sega had an announcement. Still interested after hearing it was a GG mini...however after seeing that it's basically a 1 inch screen how do they expect anyone to play these. I can't imagine the experience playing it is good. I'm not a mobile gamer but this would be better suited for that. Or just release a normal sized handheld as PreZZ mentioned.... Big let down SEGA!

Centrale
06-03-2020, 01:14 PM
garbage

send them a message asking for fire those who suggested the idea of ​​making this product, tell them you wanted, a console. say that this product shames the company's history

be polite and offer a solution, if 40 of us do this and keep repeating the message over and over, Sega will wake up, I'm doing it, do it too

Maybe you should consider going to counseling instead. Keep going over and over until you figure out what happened to you to make this seem like a reasonable thing to suggest to others.

Virtua Hunter
06-03-2020, 01:21 PM
seems pretty cool, too bad for the price :(

If it could be modded like MD Mini, it would be sweet.

Greg2600
06-03-2020, 02:03 PM
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/3/21278895/sega-game-gear-micro-games-list-price-magnifying-glass

So for $50 MSRP you get FOUR games preloaded!?!?@#?!@#?!@??!@?#!@# And of course, there's FOUR versions to collect.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/l6KXTBdoGN8cXt62zcoe63n7xXU=/0x0:740x636/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:740x636):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/20015817/img_01.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xM8qv_HEslmmhDsmcRKPDyj5O9k=/0x0:415x225/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:415x225):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/20015809/img_red.png

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/jnVp1INaO9IeULdj6_oSWtEpfcg=/0x0:416x225/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:416x225):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/20015801/img_yellow.png

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/oijdJv6AcWCgirPsFDVdgVa8AnE=/0x0:416x224/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:416x224):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/20015796/img_blue.png

Yes, Sega is going to sell a magnifier.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/aPNP4Z8R_L4ZyHqF8vDRdaSRCB4=/0x0:740x494/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:740x494):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/20015829/bwm.jpg

Gryson
06-03-2020, 02:05 PM
No, I think the magnifier is only included if you buy the limited set of all four.

Leynos
06-03-2020, 02:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5hoEkcM.jpg

GameX
06-03-2020, 02:21 PM
There's actually 5 versions (LOL):

In addition to the 4 colors of Game Gear Micro, a new model of "Game Gear Micro Smoke" has been added, and it is a luxurious DX pack that allows you to frame and decorate all 5 types of main body.

Click to enlarge.

Well, just figured it's actually a mockup according to Google Translate... Doesn't turn ON lol.

2) Game Gear Micro Smoke Model (Mockup) * Completed product. The appearance and texture are almost the same as the product, but the power does not turn on. You cannot play the game.

So still 4 versions haha.

gamevet
06-03-2020, 05:25 PM
The screen looks to be proportionately the same size as the GBA Micro, only in the original GG aspect ratio. The screen should be at least ten times clearer than the original Game Gear, so text can only be easier to read.

The body looks larger than GBA Micro, which lots of people like. I bought one new bitd and tried to keep playing it, but went back to my SP because of the screen quality alone.

I doubt the screen will be all that great on a $46 item. I have a keychain arcade of PAC-MAN and Space Invaders. Those are $20 items and the screens are pretty low Rez.

axel
06-03-2020, 06:05 PM

I don't know about that. The GB Micro was about 100 mm across with a 2" screen, this one is only 80 mm. I haven't seen the screen size listed but I opened one of the images in Photoshop, the entire unit is 327 pixels across, with the screen measuring 100 px wide by 75 px tall. So that would be a screen size of about 1.2" on the diagonal, or about 60% smaller than the GB Micro LCD.

For a quick game of Columns I might enjoy it as a novelty I just don't understand putting RPGs on it that no one will play.

Gryson
06-03-2020, 06:08 PM
Pre-orders have already sold out on most sites.

Concerning the quality of the screen: Decent LCD screens at that size are pretty common and dirt cheap these days. I think you can get a 1.5" LCD for about $2 from Aliexpress with resolution double the original GG (or so). Will be much cheaper in bulk.

Edit: And there are also lots of so-called "TinyPi" handhelds out there that will give you a sense of what this GG Micro will be like. The screen on this one is quite nice, as you can see at 1:00 (https://youtu.be/eHv7w5ioWu0?t=60).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHv7w5ioWu0

gamevet
06-03-2020, 06:41 PM
That’s like child labor cheap.

Black_Tiger
06-03-2020, 06:44 PM
I don't know about that. The GB Micro was about 100 mm across with a 2" screen, this one is only 80 mm. I haven't seen the screen size listed but I opened one of the images in Photoshop, the entire unit is 327 pixels across, with the screen measuring 100 px wide by 75 px tall. So that would be a screen size of about 1.2" on the diagonal, or about 60% smaller than the GB Micro LCD.

For a quick game of Columns I might enjoy it as a novelty I just don't understand putting RPGs on it that no one will play.

There is an official looking photo online with a GBA Micro in a hand that looks comparable to the Game Gear Micro hand pic.

Keep in mind that GBA resolution is 240 x 160 but Game Gear is only 160 x 144.

So if the GG Micro came out back when the GBA Micro did, you'd likely have more or less the same display size.

But screen size is irrelevent since budget screens today are so good that it will likely have a much better image than the GBA Micro did.

Don't forget that the original Game Gear actually exist and had terrible blurring during scrolling and static images were still super blurry compared to what we're used to today.

Everyone's tastes are different, but I think that a turn based game like Shining Force is much better suited to small portables than a real time puzzle game. I've done a lot of laps through Phantasy Star on my touch screen phones, playing mostly while waiting in lines.

That’s like child labor cheap.

As opposed to suicide net cheap?

Sik
06-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Don't forget also that a lot of people have shitty vision, especially the target demographic who have grown older (since I doubt they're aiming to sell it to kids). And honestly it's a pain even when you have good vision. And let's not forget that the buttons are so cramped that it looks like long term use can hurt your hands, so you want to keep any gaming sessions short.

RPGs are like the polar opposite of what you'd want to play in that context. Sure, I can get people who want to play them on portable hardware, but that usually still involves something a bit larger than this :​P

Pre-orders have already sold out on most sites.Gotta give it to them, they know how much they can get away with.

PreZZ
06-03-2020, 08:02 PM
If they made it the same size as a gameboy micro with a decent screen, pre loaded with 30 games, i would have bought it even at 100$, this is ridiculous. Could have been awesome

axel
06-03-2020, 08:03 PM
There is an official looking photo online with a GBA Micro in a hand that looks comparable to the Game Gear Micro hand pic.

Keep in mind that GBA resolution is 240 x 160 but Game Gear is only 160 x 144.

So if the GG Micro came out back when the GBA Micro did, you'd likely have more or less the same display size.

But screen size is irrelevent since budget screens today are so good that it will likely have a much better image than the GBA Micro did.

Don't forget that the original Game Gear actually exist and had terrible blurring during scrolling and static images were still super blurry compared to what we're used to today.

Everyone's tastes are different, but I think that a turn based game like Shining Force is much better suited to small portables than a real time puzzle game. I've done a lot of laps through Phantasy Star on my touch screen phones, playing mostly while waiting in lines.

Yeah you have a point it's probably about the same pixel density as a GB Micro. But it's still tiny. A turn-based RPG might be easier I just can't imagine looking at that screen for hours.

The closest I've owned to this was a Zelda watch, that was cool because even when I wasn't playing it would display Link and Aquamentus, like a little screensaver (in addition of course to displaying the time). I don't think I played through the game more than a couple times but you could finish all the levels in about 15 minutes.

I'd actually rather have the GG Micro function as like a little picture frame, show me screenshots and gameplay from classic Sega games when I'm not playing, I would get some amusement out of having that on my desk.

Genesis Knight
06-03-2020, 09:26 PM
It's not built to play. It's built to be bought, toyed around with for an hour or two, and then put on the shelf with the other collectibles

Gryson
06-03-2020, 09:35 PM
It's not built to play. It's built to be bought, toyed around with for an hour or two, and then put on the shelf with the other collectibles

Yep. Even for the MD Mini, I think that is probably what happened for 95% of the people that bought it - plug it in, play around for a bit, and put it on the shelf.

The GG Micro is just cutting straight to the point.

Leynos
06-03-2020, 10:54 PM
Size comparison
https://i.imgur.com/y6LuuVF.jpg

Off Twitter from SEGA Bits

gamevet
06-03-2020, 11:02 PM
T

As opposed to suicide net cheap?

Apple certainly didn't pass those savings on to customers.

Baloo
06-03-2020, 11:07 PM
If it charges through microusb, then someone will find a way to mod it. Only way it would make this thing worth buying is through a mod.

That being said, Game Gear games have terrible resolution, better off playing the Master System alternatives for the most part, since TecToy ported every worthwhile GG game to the Master System.

axel
06-04-2020, 01:25 PM
If it charges through microusb, then someone will find a way to mod it. Only way it would make this thing worth buying is through a mod.

That being said, Game Gear games have terrible resolution, better off playing the Master System alternatives for the most part, since TecToy ported every worthwhile GG game to the Master System.

This is so true, I almost never play the GG versions anymore. The higher color count is nice but not at the expense of halving the resolution. I'd wager that even Sega would have just made a portable SMS 30 years ago if costs had been lower, NEC showed it could be done with the Turbo Express.

Black_Tiger
06-04-2020, 02:02 PM

Tec Toy didn't come close but fans have in recent years. The resolution doesn't make a difference though. The assets in all but a handful of games were made the same as they are for SMS. Tec Toy didn't redraw everything, they only extended the viewing area. The pixelart remains the same, just like all those Genesis games with frames and borders.

There's no reason to play classic portable games on their original screens other than nostalgia. If you play Game Gear games on a 27" TV it's like a fullscreen 20" TV.

axel
06-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Tec Toy didn't come close but fans have in recent years. The resolution doesn't make a difference though. The assets in all but a handful of games were made the same as they are for SMS. Tec Toy didn't redraw everything, they only extended the viewing area. The pixelart remains the same, just like all those Genesis games with frames and borders.

There's no reason to play classic portable games on their original screens other than nostalgia. If you play Game Gear games on a 27" TV it's like a fullscreen 20" TV.

The extended area makes the games easier to play. Try any platformer where you can barely see the enemies or jumps ahead of you. The best games on GG (or GB/GBC) tend to be those where the artwork and levels were redesigned for the smaller screen versus using the same assets as the console version.

axel
06-04-2020, 05:52 PM
By the way -- I'm now getting ads for this thing on Facebook, so it's clearly being marketed for Americans. The comments were predictable, "WTF is this, a Game Gear for ants", "only four games?", "no SD slot?" etc. Nobody seems to understand what Sega was going for.

GameX
06-04-2020, 06:57 PM
According to this Famitsu interview that was just posted Sega was originally considering 1 game per color variation for the Game Gear Micro.

Afterward, they decided to expand the number of games per variation. But they felt like it was unreasonable, so they decided to expand it to 3 games per Game Gear Micro. Then they decided to expand it further, and add another color variation, making it 4 and 4.

LOL

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1268036882379632641

redsox2013
06-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Should have been one unit with all 16 games and removable face plates, ala GB Micro. Not sure if anyone suggested this earlier in the thread.

chilled
06-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Should have been one unit with all 16 games and removable face plates, ala GB Micro. Not sure if anyone suggested this earlier in the thread.

you'd make less money with it and would be less collectible

Centrale
06-06-2020, 05:17 PM
By the way -- I'm now getting ads for this thing on Facebook, so it's clearly being marketed for Americans. The comments were predictable, "WTF is this, a Game Gear for ants", "only four games?", "no SD slot?" etc. Nobody seems to understand what Sega was going for.

All five SKUs are currently #1-5 in sales for mini consoles on Amazon Japan, so it seems Sega knows the market better than the comment section outrage mob... again.

Gryson
06-06-2020, 05:54 PM
All five SKUs are currently #1-5 in sales for mini consoles on Amazon Japan, so it seems Sega knows the market better than the comment section outrage mob... again.

Sega's Yosuke Okunari also said on Twitter that initial sales were so good that Sega will consider doing more stuff like this.

Meanwhile, the "comment section outrage mob" will continue to be outraged that Sega does not cater to their every whim. It's 2020, just buy an RG 350 (https://obscurehandhelds.com/2020/03/rg350m-now-officially-released/) if you want to play a well-designed handheld with every retro game ever on it.

Sik
06-06-2020, 07:54 PM
The angry mob will keep finding excuses to get angry until they die of old age.

Though I do admit that Sega was quite daring by pricing them at $46 each, considering what each of these are on their own.

axel
06-07-2020, 12:56 AM
I'm happy they're making money on this but I can hardly call it a console. Actually it's good if a lot of people buy it, maybe that will prompt Sega to build other hardware.

Baloo
06-07-2020, 11:47 AM

To be frank...not too many Game Gear exclusives that are worth playing in 2020. Off the top of my head:

Ronald McDonald in Magical World
GG Aleste
GG Aleste II
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Tails Adventure

Black_Tiger
06-07-2020, 01:57 PM
To be frank...not too many Game Gear exclusives that are worth playing in 2020. Off the top of my head:

GG Aleste
GG Aleste II
Tails Adventure

What about:

Shining Force Gaiden
Shining Force Gaiden II
Shining Force Gaiden III
Madou Monogatari I
Madou Monogatari II
Madou Monogatari III
Megami Tensei Last Bible
Megami Tensei Last Bible Special
Crystal Warriors
Royal Stone
Eternal Legend
Moldorian
Sylvan Tale
Lunar Magic School
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth 2
Godzilla Monsters Attack
Head Buster
Aleste GG
Aleste GG II
Fantasy Zone Gear
Galaga '91
Halley Wars
Drop Zone
Griffon
Magical Taruruto kun
Tail's Sky Patrol

Baloo
06-07-2020, 04:18 PM
What about:

Shining Force Gaiden
Shining Force Gaiden II
Shining Force Gaiden III
Madou Monogatari I
Madou Monogatari II
Madou Monogatari III
Megami Tensei Last Bible
Megami Tensei Last Bible Special
Crystal Warriors
Royal Stone
Eternal Legend
Moldorian
Sylvan Tale
Lunar Magic School
Magic Knight Rayearth
Magic Knight Rayearth 2
Godzilla Monsters Attack
Head Buster
Aleste GG
Aleste GG II
Fantasy Zone Gear
Galaga '91
Halley Wars
Drop Zone
Griffon
Magical Taruruto kun
Tail's Sky Patrol

I already mentioned GG Aleste I and II.

Better versions exist on other platforms of these games:

Shining Force I
Shining Force II
Galaga '91
Fantasy Zone
Lunar Magical School
Dropzone - (See: Defender, Stargate/Defender II)

Games that arent great:
Tails Sky Patrol

Every other game you mentioned is a Japanese RPG save for Halley Wars and Godzilla, some of which havent even received fan translations yet. Personally I think there is under fifteen exclusive games total on the Game Gear that are really worth playing in 2020.

So if we expanded the list out a little bit. These are probably the only must plays on the Game Gear

GG Aleste
GG Aleste II
Halley Wars
Royal Stone
Godzilla
Tails Adventure
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict

Then GG Exclusives that are good:
Legend of Illusion
Land of Illusion
Eternal Legend
Crystal Warriors
Moldorian

Sik
06-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Not a single mention of the two GG Shinobi games? Seriously?

Gryson
06-07-2020, 11:38 PM
Isn't "worth playing" really, really subjective?

I'm sure more than a few of us here enjoy certain games that many would find not worth playing.

Black_Tiger
06-08-2020, 10:49 AM

The library is large. I don't have time to post them all. I started with some of the genres I enjoy.

Baloo: I believe that I only listed RPGs and war sims that have English translations. I guess that 2020 means different things to different people. I'm not interested in current consoles but love <16-bit games and it's never been easier and more convenient to play them, especially portable games.

Here are some English translations:

https://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=12&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

And here are some Game Gear to SMS conversions:

https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GameGearToMasterSystem

I don't view radically different versions of a game to be "better" or cancel them out and I don't consider new entries or sequels in a series to be "the same game".

I also love chiptunes (especially SMS sound) and the signature visuals of unique gaming hardware. Shining Force CD will never replace the games it mimics and you're losing out on skipping them if you enjoy the classic series.

I guess you don't play many Genesis games any more and rarely on Genesis hardware, since most games are better/newer elsewhere and there are technically superior alternatives?

Centrale
06-08-2020, 11:43 AM
So if we expanded the list out a little bit. These are probably the only must plays on the Game Gear

For you, I guess! :D You could ask each person what their must-play list is for any console, and you'd have some titles that commonly repeat across everyone's list, and some unique titles on each person's list, too. Also, there are a lot of people who enjoy playing the different versions of a single game because it's just fascinating to observe the different capabilities in hardware and the various approaches different coders took in adapting the titles. For example, I like playing every version of Out Run. Obviously technical capabilities have expanded by leaps and bounds over the years but (at the risk of stating the obvious on a retro-focused forum) the old stuff still stands on its own terms and is worth playing... not only to observe a technological evolution, but also because it's still fun.

Baloo
06-08-2020, 02:16 PM

I think my tastes are just different from everyone here on the boards, nothing wrong with that either. I'm glad more people are finding fun with the Game Gear. I just went back this week and tried a bunch of the lauded games, like Donald Duck in Deep Duck Trouble, Shinobi I and II, Streets of Rage I and II, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, The Lucky Dime Caper, Gunstar Heroes, and honestly just didn't find that they held up well for the most part. I thought Ristar played considerably well and looked nice, but when compared to the Genesis version which is also easy to emulate, I just didn't see the appeal for a lot of these games in 2020. Not that they were terrible back in the day or anything, I played a lot of Game Gear when I was a kid. But I just don't think too many of these games have aged considerably well.

I still play a lot of Genesis games, because I think that the colors are vibrant, screen is far larger, and the music is much better. Not that these games are objectively horrible, but sometimes when you're accustomed over the years of playing games in a different fashion, that you'd rather take the better version. but I will say taking Streets of Rage II for example that I think the sound chip is just quite superior on the Genesis that I would prefer playing it that way. Gameplay is a little bit tighter to. Not that Streets of Rage II for Game Gear isn't an impressive port for a time when that was the only portable way to play Streets of Rage. Same thing goes for the Sonic games I wrote about in another thread.

Technology aside, if I have a limited amount of time, I'm taking the more tightly developed version, regardless of platform. For example:

Streets of Rage Remake over the original 3 Streets of Rage games, particularly Streets of Rage 1 on Genesis which i think has very poor hit detection.
Sonic 1 on Genesis over Sonic 1 on Master System or Game Gear.
Outrun on the Sega Saturn over Outrun on the Sega Genesis.
Space Harrier on the Saturn or 32X or Arcade over Space Harrier 2.
Gunstar Heroes on Genesis over Gunstar Heroes on Game Gear.
Ecco the Dolphin for Windows over Ecco the Dolphin on Genesis.

That's not to say a lot of these games are horrible, but I'm going to take the technologically superior and tighter playing version if I can.

Sik
06-08-2020, 07:16 PM
The 8-bit Street of Rage games are awful and I don't know why anybody would think they're good, it's not just the collision detection that's off, the physics in general are (・・) Maybe it looks nice on screenshots (maybe) but that's it.

PreZZ
06-09-2020, 12:27 AM
I have to agree that a lot of the game gear games are crappier versions of the genesis games, gunstar heroes is amazing for an 8 bit port but i would never play it when i can play the genesis version. If nintendo bitd had made the same games for both gameboy and snes, i would never play the gameboy.

chilled
06-09-2020, 03:00 PM
I have to agree that a lot of the game gear games are crappier versions of the genesis games, gunstar heroes is amazing for an 8 bit port but i would never play it when i can play the genesis version. Couldn't the same be said about Arcade vs most MD ports ?

Black_Tiger
06-09-2020, 10:55 PM
Couldn't the same be said about Arcade vs most MD ports ?

As well as some NES, SNES and PCE games. But MD versions are worth playing for the sound alone, except the rare exception that it's terrible.

Whenever it comes up that some people only play what they believe to be a definitive or best version of a game, the common denominator is always how technically advanced the platform is, not the actual merit of individual versions.

Like when some people here said that they wouldn't touch any previous versions of SFII after SSFIIHDR was released. I believe that some admitted to not even owning a quality street fighting controller to play it.

"Crude" is also a poor measure as it is too often used to dismiss fantastic classic games that someone either never understood or because they're simply on the wrong side of an imaginary line in history, before which they insist all games aren't playable.

Some of the most rewarding and engaging games aren't super complex in what is immediately accessible or full of endless content. Too many games with a laundry list of actions available to excute or overly complex stage design are celebrated for being "deep" when the actual play experience is very shallow.

To me it seems like you aren't really a fan of classic gaming if you only play a select number of games spanning history from a list that is contantly being updated by the new "best" versions. You're just playing random games. Which is fine, but classic gaming forums shouldn't be of much interest in that case.

Which is why classic gaming forums are full of people who spend most of their time talking about current and upcoming generations or just random non-video game talk.

Gryson
06-10-2020, 12:30 AM
I see the "kusoge" popularity movement as being a bit of backlash against this idea of only playing "perfect" games or whatever.

Intentionally seek out awful games and enjoy them for what they are. It's similar to watching bad movies for fun.

You don't approach it with the mindset of "I'm going to beat this game" (because that would be torture), but instead it's an exploration of how fucked up the design of the game is.

Sik
06-10-2020, 01:35 AM
Couldn't the same be said about Arcade vs most MD ports ?Pretty sure that most people will beat you up nowadays if you admit to playing a version that isn't the arcade one (unless the port is significantly improved in other ways).

BrianC
06-10-2020, 02:00 AM
Legend of Illusion and Land of Illusion aren't GG exclusives. Both are on SMS. The former is one of those odd Brazil exclusives, though the latter is a nice version of the game. While the GG versions of SoR don't hold a candle to ty he Genesis versions, they still have some of the better music on GG thanks to Yuzo Kushiro. Then again, so do both GG Shinobi games, which are both among the best games on the system.

I like playing multiple versions of games myself. Genesis has some nice arcade ports and I especially like it when they include extra content like with the port of Mercs. There are also cases like Columns and Puyo Puyo 2 where the Genesis version is very similar due to the arcade using Genesis based hardware. There's also the odd case of Thunder Force AC that is a port of Thunder Force III to the arcade.

PreZZ
06-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Couldn't the same be said about Arcade vs most MD ports ?

Most of the time, arcade conversions have been adapted for console gameplay, with a set number of lives to finish the game. Arcade games have no sense of accomplishment im many cases, its pay to play. I’ll takecontra on nes vs arcade

axel
06-12-2020, 12:03 AM
The problem with the early portable consoles is that a huge percentage of the games were ports, so while that was cool back in the day today there's no point when you can already play a superior version. My favorite way to play on the go is on the New 3DS, it can emulate lots of older systems and the output is still 240p.

I think it would be great if Sega would release a Game Gear style handheld, but give it the SMS versions of the games, most of which were not well known here in the US. Since it's emulation they could change the color palette, remove the sprite limit and add FM support. That would be cool to see and it would be something different than always focusing on the Genesis games.

Baloo
06-12-2020, 11:29 AM
As well as some NES, SNES and PCE games. But MD versions are worth playing for the sound alone, except the rare exception that it's terrible.

Whenever it comes up that some people only play what they believe to be a definitive or best version of a game, the common denominator is always how technically advanced the platform is, not the actual merit of individual versions.

Like when some people here said that they wouldn't touch any previous versions of SFII after SSFIIHDR was released. I believe that some admitted to not even owning a quality street fighting controller to play it.

"Crude" is also a poor measure as it is too often used to dismiss fantastic classic games that someone either never understood or because they're simply on the wrong side of an imaginary line in history, before which they insist all games aren't playable.

Some of the most rewarding and engaging games aren't super complex in what is immediately accessible or full of endless content. Too many games with a laundry list of actions available to excute or overly complex stage design are celebrated for being "deep" when the actual play experience is very shallow.

To me it seems like you aren't really a fan of classic gaming if you only play a select number of games spanning history from a list that is contantly being updated by the new "best" versions. You're just playing random games. Which is fine, but classic gaming forums shouldn't be of much interest in that case.

Which is why classic gaming forums are full of people who spend most of their time talking about current and upcoming generations or just random non-video game talk.

I grew up playing these games, been on here for 10 years now. And frankly when you grow up eating Chef Boyardee and then go to a restaurant and try good food, you don't really want to go back to the old stuff. Looking back on all these games I used to play as a kid with my Game Gear, they haven't stood up well. Street Fighter II is another excellent example. Who wants to play the Genesis port when its so easy to play an arcade-perfect edition of the game?

You can still be a classic gaming fan and not think that everything that was good back then is good now. What developers have realized with games like Shovel Knight, Ducktales: Remastered, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, Undertale, etc. is that you can blend the best part of the 2D games that were great with more modern technology and make a really good game. You don't need to gatekeep classic gaming to "only people who want to play 8-bit ports on the Game Gear."

There's still plenty of games on the Genesis that are worth playing in 2020, but that doesn't mean all of them are playable. But I think, just like there's a huge jump from Atari to NES in terms of playability, there's also a huge jump from the 8-bit to 16-bit era in a lot of respects. The Mario games to me are still infinitely playable, but I have never played anything on Atari that is fun, but I didn't grow up with it either. I think there's a lot of matters of taste with old games. Some are good for nostalgia, some are good across generations, some are somewhere in between those two mediums. And some games are just bad.

axel
06-12-2020, 01:42 PM
I grew up playing these games, been on here for 10 years now. And frankly when you grow up eating Chef Boyardee and then go to a restaurant and try good food, you don't really want to go back to the old stuff. Looking back on all these games I used to play as a kid with my Game Gear, they haven't stood up well. Street Fighter II is another excellent example. Who wants to play the Genesis port when its so easy to play an arcade-perfect edition of the game?

You can still be a classic gaming fan and not think that everything that was good back then is good now. What developers have realized with games like Shovel Knight, Ducktales: Remastered, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, Undertale, etc. is that you can blend the best part of the 2D games that were great with more modern technology and make a really good game. You don't need to gatekeep classic gaming to "only people who want to play 8-bit ports on the Game Gear."

There's still plenty of games on the Genesis that are worth playing in 2020, but that doesn't mean all of them are playable. But I think, just like there's a huge jump from Atari to NES in terms of playability, there's also a huge jump from the 8-bit to 16-bit era in a lot of respects. The Mario games to me are still infinitely playable, but I have never played anything on Atari that is fun, but I didn't grow up with it either. I think there's a lot of matters of taste with old games. Some are good for nostalgia, some are good across generations, some are somewhere in between those two mediums. And some games are just bad.

Couldn't agree more. Games, like everything else, have gotten better with time. We had awhile there where I felt like classic 2D gaming was neglected, but in the past decade there's been a resurgence. I can't get into the 2600 library either, it's just too primitive. I did enjoy it back in the day but today there's no point. I also find very few 5th gen games that I want to play in their original format, that era just hasn't aged well at all.

gamevet
06-16-2020, 02:13 AM

I grew up in the Atari VCS era and I can admit that alot of it is just really bad. That being said, games like Warlords, Missile Command, Pitfall, Breakout and Asterioids can provide a pretty decent gaming experience.

Sik
06-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Maybe it'd be worth pointing out that the Atari 2600 generation ended with a market crash…

Centrale
06-16-2020, 06:48 PM
I grew up in the Atari VCS era and I can admit that alot of it is just really bad. That being said, games like Warlords, Missile Command, Pitfall, Breakout and Asterioids can provide a pretty decent gaming experience.

Yeah man, 4-player Warlords is a blast, and not something that has really been expanded or improved upon. It also might be the earliest example of a home game that received a port to the arcades. The 2600 homebrew scene is also quite active and has been consistently producing games once thought impossible. It's a remarkable console, really.

But for everyone saying that 2600 or whatever is too primitive to be enjoyable, just know that your time will come when, bafflingly, some new generation of gamers will come along claiming that what you currently think is great and perhaps even groundbreaking/foundational to the future evolution of gaming itself, is unplayable. And all you can do is shake your head about it because you know that they are the ones who are missing out. It's not really for everyone to understand the entire continuum, but you'll notice that among the actual creators and developers, it is a common thread. They recognize why [insert whatever, pre- your personal cutoff date] is fun and playable and important, just as a novelist understands why an 'unreadable, outdated' book like Don Quixote is important in the present.

Leynos
06-17-2020, 01:54 AM
I began on Atari 2600 but can never go back to it. 8-bit is as far as I can go and even then it can be difficult. 16-bit era has held up rather well and we see so many indie games emulating that era in look and gameplay. 2600 is like the Silent Film era at this point.

Centrale
06-18-2020, 12:15 AM
I can agree with the silent film parallels in some ways... that's a useful analogy. Although on the other hand, storytelling advanced, matured and diversified much more rapidly in film than it has in video games. But regarding eras in video games, it doesn't work to refer to them by bit values because the 2600 was an 8-bit console and the Intellivision was the first 16-bit console in 1979! It was really largely a marketing gimmick that Sega took advantage of in promoting their 16-bit console and 32X, followed by Atari's (supposedly) 64-bit Jaguar. It only partially tells the story of what a console is capable of.

axel
06-20-2020, 09:57 PM
Yeah man, 4-player Warlords is a blast, and not something that has really been expanded or improved upon. It also might be the earliest example of a home game that received a port to the arcades. The 2600 homebrew scene is also quite active and has been consistently producing games once thought impossible. It's a remarkable console, really.

But for everyone saying that 2600 or whatever is too primitive to be enjoyable, just know that your time will come when, bafflingly, some new generation of gamers will come along claiming that what you currently think is great and perhaps even groundbreaking/foundational to the future evolution of gaming itself, is unplayable. And all you can do is shake your head about it because you know that they are the ones who are missing out. It's not really for everyone to understand the entire continuum, but you'll notice that among the actual creators and developers, it is a common thread. They recognize why [insert whatever, pre- your personal cutoff date] is fun and playable and important, just as a novelist understands why an 'unreadable, outdated' book like Don Quixote is important in the present.

For me that's already happened. My first console was the NES. I still like the graphics and sound today, judging by the number of retro-inspired titles that have come out in recent years I'm not the only one. Unfortunately many of the design choices have not aged as well. Today if I want to play Metroid I'll take the GBA version with the map, save rooms and lower difficulty even though I prefer the look of the original. Other times I'll use cheats to make the games easier, like for Wizards & Warriors II I'll freeze the RAM address of the life counter to 3 so I can always continue (like in the original) otherwise it means writing down and entering a long password each time. Games, like everything else, have gotten better with time. But I still appreciate the 2600 for being the first successful home console and having an incredible variety of games considering the limitations.

Leynos
10-02-2020, 12:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/orA6Qit.jpg

axel
10-03-2020, 01:51 AM
https://i.imgur.com/orA6Qit.jpg

Wow it's so close in size to the VMU.

Raijin Z
10-03-2020, 11:16 AM
You're now imagining a Game Gear-styled VMU, and wishing you had access to the alternate reality they were sold in.

axel
10-03-2020, 01:03 PM
You're now imagining a Game Gear-styled VMU, and wishing you had access to the alternate reality they were sold in.

Yeah they totally should have done that. If there's ever a Dreamcast Classic that would be cool to see.

Black_Tiger
10-06-2020, 03:53 PM
The Micro is finally reaching consumers and sure enough the screen quality is not only infinitely better than Game Gear, but also looks better than GBA.

https://youtu.be/MnSnEpiNRMo

axel
10-09-2020, 09:25 PM
The Micro is finally reaching consumers and sure enough the screen quality is not only infinitely better than Game Gear, but also looks better than GBA.

https://youtu.be/MnSnEpiNRMo

The GBA screen was nothing special, Nintendo's first "good" LCD was on the DS. But yeah that looks surprisingly playable for its size.

Genesis Knight
10-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Wonder what that internal button does?