PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast documentary. Sega Dev interviews

Leynos
10-29-2020, 02:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7JYqty8aE&t=2350s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXSZTk-J8A&t=2s

Apologies if posted before and esp if I have before. I don't remember if I did.

SegaAMD
10-29-2020, 05:03 PM
very good documentary shows the devs viewpoint . the sales part wasn't their concern, their goals were to make good games but among those who interviewed only the guy from Crazy Taxi produced a game that worked commercially. Soul Calibur itself had very bad sales despite being a fabulous game and well rated by the critics.

I really like Dreamcast but I feel that it was a step back from everything that SEGA created on Saturn it was basically a mistake for Sega to have tried to imitate the PS1 philosophy and the worst to have tried to compete on equal terms with PS2, the best strategy for SEGA it was to imitate Nintendo with the N64 and focus only on its consumers with no intention of dominating the market, if SEGA had done this in 95, the story would have been different.

gamevet
10-29-2020, 05:11 PM
SEGA of America was following what made the Genesis big the the West, sport titles. Sony of America copied that with the PlayStation. The Saturn wasnít marketed that way in the West, so PlayStation became the console for sports gamers.

Blades
11-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Thanks for posting, this is really interesting.

SegaAMD
11-02-2020, 11:31 AM
SEGA of America was following what made the Genesis big the the West, sport titles. Sony of America copied that with the PlayStation. The Saturn wasnít marketed that way in the West, so PlayStation became the console for sports gamers.

Saturn is mainly a Japanese video game, they achieved some success with Genesis but the Mega Drive wasn't doing well in Japan, Saturn came with this objective increasing SEGA's share in the eastern market. Mission was accomplished, SEGA finished second in japan.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
11-02-2020, 01:24 PM
It makes my heart break to hear the wonderful developers of such amazing and groundbreaking games on the Dreamcast say that they think the console failed because they just didn't make good enough games. No! The Dreamcast is loved and remembered to this day BECAUSE of it's wonderful games, not in spite of them. The console failed largely down to Sega themselves making financial blunder after financial blunder in the years following the Mega Drive's incredible international success. The Dreamcast was Sega's last hurrah, and it had a criminally short lifespan due to mistakes Sega had already made in the years prior, NOT to any software or hardware shortcomings of the Dreamcast itself. The console will always be one of my all time favourites and the games I enjoy on it to this day make up some of my happiest memories in gaming. Skies of Arcadia alone is one of the greatest games on ANY platform ever, let alone being a gem in the Dreamcast's impressive library. Thank you for posting these vids, Leynos. I enjoyed them immensely.

Centrale
11-02-2020, 05:28 PM
It makes my heart break to hear the wonderful developers of such amazing and groundbreaking games on the Dreamcast say that they think the console failed because they just didn't make good enough games. No! The Dreamcast is loved and remembered to this day BECAUSE of it's wonderful games, not in spite of them.

I feel the same way. These are creative geniuses who designed incredibly original, fun games that have stood the test of time. They shouldn't feel responsible for what went wrong on the business side of things.

gamevet
11-07-2020, 02:00 AM
Saturn is mainly a Japanese video game, they achieved some success with Genesis but the Mega Drive wasn't doing well in Japan, Saturn came with this objective increasing SEGA's share in the eastern market. Mission was accomplished, SEGA finished second in japan.

At the expense of losing the Western market in North America and Europe. It was a short sighted plan.

Team Andromeda
11-07-2020, 04:37 AM
At the expense of losing the Western market in North America and Europe. It was a short sighted plan.

Trouble was SEGA Japan left it to Sega America to provide games Americans were meant to like and SEGA America in the 32Bit age didn't have a clue or couldn't even project manage games at a decent level; Most of their 32 Bit 32X or Saturn productions were of substandard quality
Thankfully Bernie knew he needed a quality dedicated In-House Sports division to sort that issue out and even under Bernie's horrible Saturn reign, he at least provided top-quality sports games in NBA 98, NHL 98 (the best 3D hockey game there is)
The issue then was it was all focused on American sports and no focus on sports that do well in Europe, with nobody in SEGA America or Japan thinking about making a quality football game for the Dreamcast for the Pal launch. You know football... the biggest sport in the entire world.

More madding when SEGA Japan already had the wonderful World Wide Soccer series under their belts, what the hell happened with SmileBits 90's minutes (which also came way too late) I don't know, even Pro Striker on my Mega Drive provided a better game of football than that crap. Never mind that French Babbon at SEGA Europe was spending millions on sponsoring every top Football club in Europe, but with no top quality to call their own and no EA Fifa to help out either.

It's funny to... You see Sega Europe just do everything right with the Mega Drive, you see Sega America do everything right with the DC, you see SEGA Japan do most things right the Saturn. Only for SEGA Europe and Japan to be utterly useless on DC making cock-up after cock-up. While SEGA America with limited cash and resources were doing wonderful things on the DC and really making a top fight of it.

Still, it might have only been a few years, but the DC was a far better system that the overrated crap, that is the PS2

SegaAMD
11-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Having read various interpretations and reinterpretations of what went on with the Sega Saturn honestly, I believe and I have an argumentative and historical basis for this, that SEGA was the victim of a trap designed by third parties who wanted to get rid of Nintendo
as Sega was more fragile it ended up succumbing perhaps what they did with Saturn is the biggest plot in the history of the entertainment industry, it involved everything, the media, varegistas, , a greater offer of exclusive temporary games. If we look at each other we will see that a multiplat rarely comes out at the same time on both consoles, on the contrary they arrived at Saturn with an average of 4 months, so it arrived as an old game because people were in new games.

the console market was given to Sony by third parties, namely namco, square, konami, EA, Midway some of them supported Sega Saturn but always in order to pretend an apparent neutrality but they wanted Saturn to sink quickly, Nintendo itself delayed the launch of the N64 so that the PS1 could cannibalize the Saturn market share

Sega itself isn't to blame for anything since its decisions were consequences, responses to the stimuli of the plan. The only mistake wasn't realizing in real time that they had been ambushed,
was their biggest stupidity IMHO

SegaAMD
11-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Still, it might have only been a few years, but the DC was a far better system that the overrated crap, that is the PS2

keep Calm

https://youtu.be/dVfXbLgEYOo?t=3
https://youtu.be/bPLiJYMaPbY?t=70
https://youtu.be/7BfGvmmL6J8?t=9
https://youtu.be/KZx1dSqjnX0?t=3

I don't want to compare but the dreamcast never generated games superior to these and would not do it even if it continued on the market for longer but I must admit that there are many creative and fun games on Dreamcast.

gamevet
11-07-2020, 12:35 PM
Iíve never been a fan of Tekken.

Leynos
11-07-2020, 12:57 PM
Same but Tekken Tag 2 is a great amount a fun.

TA PS2 was not crap. Has an insane library but I will admit. I don't like using that hardware.

gamevet
11-07-2020, 01:57 PM
The PS2 hardware has a lot of short comings, but thereís no denying that it has one of the best software libraries available for a single video game console.

Team Andromeda
11-08-2020, 04:13 AM
keep Calm

I don't want to compare but the dreamcast never generated games superior to these and would not do it even if it continued on the market for longer but I must admit that there are many creative and fun games on Dreamcast.

I'm quite calm. I've never understood the love for the PS2 myself. I get the love for the PS, just not the PS2. The DC and XBox were such better consoles. The only thing's I really loved about my PS2 was it played host to the best and most underrated football game there was with This Is Football 2003 and then the incredible ICO & God Of War (I never liked the sequel much) DMC (also didn't like the sequel or Par III much)

Team Andromeda
11-08-2020, 08:51 AM
TA PS2 was not crap. Has an insane library but I will admit.

It's utter crap. One of the worst consoles I've ever owned.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
11-08-2020, 10:11 AM
I was truly gutted when the plug was pulled on the Dreamcast. I bought a PS2 in the months that followed and really loved it. Not only did it double as a nifty DVD player but I lost countless hours playing Ace Combat 4, the Dynasty Warrior games, the FIFA series and GTA Vice City, to name just a few. Truly some great gaming memories for me there.

gamevet
11-08-2020, 03:15 PM
It had more RPGs than I could ever play. And just the amount of racing games it had was beyond the other consoles combined. It would take a lifetime to play through the library of the PS2, not including the PlayStation library.

My launch Dreamcast died just a month after the 1 year extended warranty expired. My Gran Turismo 3 PS2 is still going strong.

Team Andromeda
11-09-2020, 05:11 AM
My PS2 had the wost lens going even more horrid than the PS one, where just moving it from the bedroom to the living room would mean some games wouldn't work. Appalling build quality much like with the PS4 Pro. In saying that the DC wasn't much better mind and the less said about the launch 360 the better

gamevet
11-09-2020, 09:48 AM
I think this is more of a case of hating on the PlayStation brand, not just the PS2. The original Xbox had the infamous Thompson drive failures, the Dreamcast would have controller ports blow out and an estimated
2% of PS2s would have drive lens failures. Really, going by your criteria, the only console that wasnít a POS would be the GameCube.

Team Andromeda
11-09-2020, 11:30 AM
I think this is more of a case of hating on the PlayStation brand, not just the PS2. The original Xbox had the infamous Thompson drive failures, the Dreamcast would have controller ports blow out and an estimated
2% of PS2s would have drive lens failures. Really, going by your criteria, the only console that wasnít a POS would be the GameCube.

No, it just goes on what systems I've actually owned. The PS and PS2 lens was very poor, the PS 4 Pro had pretty shocking build quality and sounded like a jet engine after a few months of use. I've talked about the Thomson lens before TBH and well the lens in the Mult Mega wasn't the best either and while I love the Xbox the launch 360 was a shocker. The Japanese launch DC I had issues with it scratches discs and the left and right analogue trigger were utter pants and would break after heavy use and the noise of the disc loading was insane
I'm not a fan of Nintendo but I'll give credit to Nintendo the Game Cube was a fabulously engineered piece of kit, I've never had issues with any of my Saturns either and my Japanese 1994 launch Grey Saturn is still going strong and never fails to read or load a game, much the same for my 3DO.

Leynos
11-09-2020, 11:58 AM

Xbox also had Power Supply issues and sent out that free new power cord.

gamevet
11-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Yeah, and I canít even use it anymore, because it trips every time I plug it in. Speaking of power supplies, my 360 Elite PSU failed and gave me the RROD. It pisses me off, because they sent me an older 360 that didnít have the Jasper chipset. There was probably nothing wrong with the one Iíd sent in, but I didnít know that a bad PSU would give me the RROD.

Both of my 360s have disc read errors and I have to slid a long piece of cardboard into the tray to get it to recognize a disc. Something is strange about how they seemed to fail around the same time, even though my white arcade unit was built in 2009.

gamevet
11-09-2020, 12:18 PM
No, it just goes on what systems I've actually owned. The PS and PS2 lens was very poor, the PS 4 Pro had pretty shocking build quality and sounded like a jet engine after a few months of use. I've talked about the Thomson lens before TBH and well the lens in the Mult Mega wasn't the best either and while I love the Xbox the launch 360 was a shocker. The Japanese launch DC I had issues with it scratches discs and the left and right analogue trigger were utter pants and would break after heavy use and the noise of the disc loading was insane
I'm not a fan of Nintendo but I'll give credit to Nintendo the Game Cube was a fabulously engineered piece of kit, I've never had issues with any of my Saturns either and my Japanese 1994 launch Grey Saturn is still going strong and never fails to read or load a game, much the same for my 3DO.

Iíve moved my PS2 from an apartment to our home back in 2004. I later moved the PS2 from my living room to my office. Never had disc read problems. I often used cleaning discs to keep the lens free of dust and grime, that will eventually put a strain on the laser. Thereís one other thing that people donít know about the PS2. It has a second lens underneath the laser carriage that will need to be accessed, to be able to clean it. Thatís probably why some people think that their laser has failed.

My 1995 PlayStation worked fine, up until 2000, when it was stolen from our apartment. So, Iíll never know if it would have those issue. I always kept it well ventilated, so the chances of the heat melting the sprocket were pretty slim.

I had to grease the rails on my launch Saturn. Iíd thought that the laser was dying, but it turned out that the rails needed greasing.

Team Andromeda
11-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Iíve moved my PS2 from an apartment to our home back in 2004. .

I lost count of the people having issues with SONY crappy lens in the PS2 and PS. It used be a joke once that half all the PS2 sales were just people needing to buy a 2nd console (same was said years later for the 360). It wasn't just the lens that was crap inside the PS2 I had to replace the PS2 fuse on the motherboard which used to like to blow all the time.

When it comes to CD based systems that I've owned and had no issues with the launch PS4, Mega CD 2, 3DO, Game Cube, Xbox One Neo Geo CD (top loader) Wii U and Saturn are hard to beat

gamevet
11-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Just the 2 Xbox 360s have been an issue. Neither one has a reliable DVD drive. I could see if using your PS2 as a DVD player would become a problem, since the drive is constantly spinning and the lens is constantly reading. Thatís a lot more wear and tear than gaming. Iíve only tried the DVD feature once on my PS2, while Iíve burned out at least 5 DVD players.

*edit*

Itís actually 4 DVD players. My 1st generation Sony DVD player works with older DVDs. Itís the newer titles with updated copy protection that wonít work with it.

Team Andromeda
11-09-2020, 05:12 PM
I think went through 6 to 8 360's which is shocking..How MS allowed that to happen GOD only knows.

I liked my Brothers PS a lot , but would have issues with the lens and the PS 2 was poor and well never impressed me as gaming system from day one.

I have to give it to Nintendo with the Cube , that system is more or less bullet proof and also a fabulous piece of engineering IMO

gamevet
11-09-2020, 09:15 PM
Yeah, but where else can you play Gradius V, or R-Type final?

SegaAMD
11-10-2020, 12:11 AM
To understand what happened between DC and PS2, Xbox, GCN and PS2 you need to understand the historical moment, when DC was released in 1998/1999 PS1 was receiving some of its best games, Dreamcast is launched with an incredible lineup , but the idea that people could run PS1 games like FF8, MGS on the PS2, the idea of ​​the DVD and the idea that the continuation of Metal Gear would be there, that the continuation of Silent Hill would be there that excited the players, today we are in the future but at that time nobody dared to say that Dreamcast had better tech than the PS2, so as the Soul Calibur producer said in the documentary, the PS2 added more value by attracting the audience, but the situation of Dreamcast became even more complicated when Sony redesigned the PS1 and this console was the best seller of the year 2000 more than the PS2

PS2 had Dead or alive 2 Hardcore us release the game had light effects, motion blur, 8 exclusive levels, more costumes, more secret areas where the characters fall, in some cases even better textures than the Dreamcast version, leather looks like leather, metal parts look like metal.

Unreal Tournamant and in the exclusive games people were jaw-dropping with Tekken Tag that received a filter in us version was amazing Onimusha Warlods amazing too best seller, Re Code veronica was a bit blurry but it came with more CGI and a Devil May Cry demo, people already had a preview of Gran Turismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 before the PS2 actually came out, so it all created the idea that the PS2 had better technology, although some disagreement was the opinion of the general public. Then, four months after the ps2 us release, SEGA decides to pull the plug from the dreamcast.

When the xbox and gamecube arrived in November 2001 the PS2 received them with a kick in the stomach. The 2001 PS2 lineup was very strong and helped to cool the new competitors, see in March 2002 about 4 months Sony cuts PS2 price to 199 and that makes sales go up by 700% announces Onimusha 2, GTA vice City and Kingdom Hearts, after this movement the new competitors never recovered even making cuts, who suffered the most in this dispute was the xbox, microsof doesn't make a penny they lost billions,

stu
11-10-2020, 12:24 AM
All the disc based consoles I've bought from new have always worked flawlessly, my original Playstation from 1996, OG Xbox, PS2, Wii and Xbox360 all run like they just came out the box. The some of the second hand systems I've picked up over the years are a different matter tho..lol

To understand what happened between DC and PS2, Xbox, GCN and PS2 you need to understand the historical moment, when DC was released in 1998/1999 PS1 was receiving some of its best games, Dreamcast is launched with an incredible lineup , but the idea that people could run PS1 games like FF8, MGS on the PS2, the idea of ​​the DVD and the idea that the continuation of Metal Gear would be there, that the continuation of Silent Hill would be there that excited the players, today we are in the future but at that time nobody dared to say that Dreamcast had better tech than the PS2, so as the Soul Calibur producer said in the documentary, the PS2 added more value by attracting the audience, but the situation of Dreamcast became even more complicated when Sony redesigned the PS1 and this console was the best seller of the year 2000 more than the PS2

PS2 had Dead or alive 2 Hardcore us release the game had light effects, motion blur, 8 exclusive levels, more costumes, more secret areas where the characters fall, in some cases even better textures than the Dreamcast version, leather looks like leather, metal parts look like metal.

Unreal Tournamant and in the exclusive games people were jaw-dropping with Tekken Tag that received a filter in us version was amazing Onimusha Warlods amazing too best seller, Re Code veronica was a bit blurry but it came with more CGI and a Devil May Cry demo, people already had a preview of Gran Turismo 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 before the PS2 actually came out, so it all created the idea that the PS2 had better technology, although some disagreement was the opinion of the general public. Then, four months after the ps2 us release, SEGA decides to pull the plug from the dreamcast.

When the xbox and gamecube arrived in November 2001 the PS2 received them with a kick in the stomach. The 2001 PS2 lineup was very strong and helped to cool the new competitors, see in March 2002 about 4 months Sony cuts PS2 price to 199 and that makes sales go up by 700% announces Onimusha 2, GTA vice City and Kingdom Hearts, after this movement the new competitors never recovered even making cuts, who suffered the most in this dispute was the xbox, microsof doesn't make a penny they lost billions,

The history of those 6th gen systems has been beaten to death over the years, I don't think its really necessary to regurgitate it again.

SegaAMD
11-10-2020, 12:34 AM
All the disc based consoles I've bought from new have always worked flawlessly, my original Playstation from 1996, OG Xbox, PS2, Wii and Xbox360 all run like they just came out the box. The some of the second hand systems I've picked up over the years are a different matter tho..lol

The history of those 6th gen systems has been beaten to death over the years, I don't think its really necessary to regurgitate it again.

it was just to give context, it is worth mentioning that this thread has as its central subject something historical.

Team Andromeda
11-10-2020, 12:55 AM
Yeah, but where else can you play Gradius V, or R-Type final?

I actually have Gradius V on my PS3 via download, but yeah it's an utter classic on the PS2. I'm not the biggest fan of R Type final mind I still have my PS2 for the odd classic game mind . I'm on my own, but I also really like the Getaway games on my PS2

Mega Drive Bowlsey
11-10-2020, 05:21 AM
Did people really have so many hardware issues with the Dreamcast? I don't remember that. My Dreamcast is the same one I got brand new back in 2000 and it's worked perfectly ever since for 20yrs.

Team Andromeda
11-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Did people really have so many hardware issues with the Dreamcast? I don't remember that. My Dreamcast is the same one I got brand new back in 2000 and it's worked perfectly ever since for 20yrs.

The launch DC hardware in Japan wasn't the best at all. I mean my actual Japanese launch system still works but had issues with it reading and marking discs and also the launch joypad was of shocking quality. I bought a USA model in 2001 and it was so much better build wise and the Drive made less noise too

gamevet
11-10-2020, 09:02 AM
Iíve heard that a 3rd party controller can blow out the fuse on the controller board, making all 4 controller ports useless. The internal clock eventually stops working, for some odd reason. The graphics chip flaked out in my Dreamcast.

Team Andromeda
11-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Iíve heard that a 3rd party controller can blow out the fuse on the controller board

Yes that happened with the early launch models, wisely SEGA changed it for latter DC models. The left and right triggers on launch JP pad were of shocking quality too.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
11-10-2020, 01:54 PM
The launch DC hardware in Japan wasn't the best at all. I mean my actual Japanese launch system still works but had issues with it reading and marking discs and also the launch joypad was of shocking quality. I bought a USA model in 2001 and it was so much better build wise and the Drive made less noise too

Oh OK. My Dreamcast is a PAL model circa 2000. Must have been a much better build than the original Jap models.

Leynos
11-13-2020, 04:30 AM
I just found out none of my PS1's work nor my PS2 just all the sudden. Can't replace them as it's too expensive. PS2's going for stupid money untested units. So I may as well toss out the PS2 collection and my PS1 imports. Not a lot of good they do me now.

Blades
11-13-2020, 05:22 AM

Sounds like you experienced the two drive manufacturers. Yamaha and Samsung both made drives for DC, and it was mostly luck of the draw which one you got for all generations. Supposedly the Yamaha ones are better and quieter. That said my launch DC with the Samsung drive still works great and loud as ever.

I just found out none of my PS1's work nor my PS2 just all the sudden. Can't replace them as it's too expensive. PS2's going for stupid money untested units. So I may as well toss out the PS2 collection and my PS1 imports. Not a lot of good they do me now.

Orrrrrrrrr you can give them to me.

How did all your Playstations break simultaneously.

Leynos
11-13-2020, 05:33 AM
I have no idea. My luck I guess. Tho I think I figured out I can maybe fix the PS2. It reads discs with a Gamecube on top of it. So going to take it apart and see if I can fix it. Never tried but what can it hurt. My PSone disc drive makes a buzzing noise and won't spin. PS1 I got at a thrift store ages ago and never used it til now becuse I used my PS3,PS2 or PS1 to play PS1 games but I want to play imports. Boy I wish the Polymega was real and was shipping this week as they promised despite Walmart charging me...ugh anyway. If I clean the PS2 maybe will work again. I can play US PS1 games on it and PS3. Japanese PS1 games tho, not sure what to do without buying hardware. PS2 slim even with the Gamecube on top will not read the Gameshark disc. Dunno if shitty PS2 or it can't read those. Why was Region locking ever a thing?

Leynos
11-13-2020, 12:59 PM
HA! I fixed the PS2. Easy to take apart. Cleaned it inside. Tightened some screws on the inside and it's humming like normal again! Dunno about the PSOne but PS3 and PS2 play PS1 games anyway. Still ondering a Japanese PS1 to play imports. Will have to figure some money around but might be worth it to play some imports. It was for Saturn.