PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Advance

Ro Nova
09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
I recently picked up a Nintendo DS and one of the games I bought along with it was Sonic Advance 3. Before buying it I read some reviews and most writers state that the Sonic Advance games are just as good, if not better, than the Genesis Sonic games. The comparison was in almost every review I read. Well, I was skeptical of those statements but after spending some time with Sonic Advance 3 I'll have to agree with them! Has anyone else played the Sonic Advance games? Are they as good as the Genesis versions? Better? What do you think?

dementia
09-06-2005, 05:13 AM
I think they're "just okay."

I haven't played SA3, but the first two lack the traditional Sonic feel. Especially in the case of SA2, I think someone should have told Dimps there's more to 2D Sonic than holding right on the D-pad.

j_factor
09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
That's funny, of the three I thought SA2 was the most like the Genesis games. SA1 has very stiff graphics, sloppier level design, a slower pace, and is just about the easiest platformer I've ever played. Seriously, I breezed through it the first time without dying once. That's like a Kirby 64 level of challenge.

SA2 is the only one I consider rather good. I like the level design, the sense of speed, the graphics and soundtrack, and pretty much everything else except Cream. SA2's levels tend to remind me of Genesis levels like IceCap, and that music level from Ristar. Which I guess means SA2 is derivative, but it doesn't feel that way.

SA3 was alright, but I didn't think the partner system was implemented very well.

The best Sonic for a portable system, though, remains Sonic Triple Trouble.