PDA

View Full Version : For Collectors & Players Alike: Ultr@ R@re Games

Melf
03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Ever wonder which Genesis games are the rarest? It's a debate that rages constantly, and those out to complete their collections are sometimes left wondering why certain titles cost so darn much. Others aren't quite as expensive but can be a pain to find in complete condition. It's a good thing Sega-16 is here for ya then! To give you an idea of what games to watch out for (and which will put some serious hurt on your wallet), staff writer Zebbe has compiled a handy guide to rare games on the console and its two add-ons. For Collectors & Players Alike: Ultr@ R@re Games is a great jump on point for those wondering which games are the rarest around. Read the full article (http://www.sega-16.com/2008/03/for-collectors-players-alike-ultr-rre-games/) and start saving those pennies!

InternalPrimate
03-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Awesome feature. Twinkle Tale, Panorama Cotton, and Pulseman all make me drool. And thanks to this site, I can now claim that I'm an owner of Monster World IV (though it isn't quite official) ;)

This inspired me to get off my ass and finish a couple of features. Thanks Zebbe!

Alianger
03-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Mmm, this article is like a smörgåsbord of delicacies :)
It's great to read about rare titles from a gamers point of view, even though our opinions on some games are quite different.

I find it odd that you can 1cc Undeadline and still whine about Eliminate Downs difficulty, a much easier game in comparison!

Kollision
03-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Wonderful feature, Zebbe.
From the feature's list I got Divine Sealing, MUSHA, Twinkle Tale and Action (blergh) 52, but the article made my heart pump in excitation for future acquisitions (maybe?...........).

Question: what is this thing about games which are "optimized for 50Hz", like Alien Soldier, and others aren't, like Mega Man?

Rusty Venture
03-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I'll never feel bad knowing that someone out there remembers me

http://www.sega-16.com/Features/Ultra%20Rare%20Games/Divine%20Sealing.gif

Also:

The music was off in "MM: Wily Wars". Maybe it is the different system, or maybe the emulator I used didn't do the music right, but Metal Man's music was off.

A crime against humanity!

RedComet
03-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Does anyone know if there were plans to release Wily Wars in America? I always found it odd that it didn't come out here.

Mr Smith
03-08-2008, 03:51 AM
http://www.sega-16.com/Features/Ultra%20Rare%20Games/Divine%20Sealing.gif
That picture in brilliant!
The entire review is utterly awesome and is a credit to both Zebbe and Sega-16.
I am ashamed to say that I don't any of the ultr@ r@re games listed.

mick_aka
03-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Totally agree about Eliminate Down, it seems so overated and no matter how many times I've played it I just cant see the attraction over something like TFIII.

Great feature as always :)

McMasters
03-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Great article as far as the Genesis goes but the Sega CD and 32X section seemed tacked on at the end. Perhaps a rare Sega CD article is appropriate with not only Snatcher but Space Adventure, Wirehead, Shadowrun, Illusion City, A-Rank Thunder, and the Working Design Games. They also forgot to mention Phantasy Star MD.

But all in all a great article. Zebbe is like the William Jennings Bryan of the Sega 16 bit community.

Rusty Venture
03-08-2008, 05:39 AM
That picture in brilliant!

You only say that because it fulfills your blue-haired anime girl fixation.

Or your pixel nipple fetish.

Zebbe
03-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! :D

I find it odd that you can 1cc Undeadline and still whine about Eliminate Downs difficulty, a much easier game in comparison!

Eliminate Down is pretty much impossible for me due to its demand of always having the best weapons - if you go down to level 2 or 1, you are basically F'd in the A. In Undeadline, at least I had a chance if I was hit once or twice and the shields were much more common. But I WILL try Eliminate Down again someday and beat that bloody level 5!

Question: what is this thing about games which are "optimized for 50Hz", like Alien Soldier, and others aren't, like Mega Man?

It means that it plays at the right speed, equal to the original NTSC version, which goes in 60 Hz. Sometimes they do a half-assed conversion job and the game plays 16.7% slower. If you have a 60 Hz switch and startup PAL Phantasy Star IV in 50 Hz, it is too slow, including the music. Turn the switch and it plays equal to the NTSC versions. For Alien Soldier, which is optimized for 50 Hz, it means it will play too fast.

I'll never feel bad knowing that someone out there remembers me

The music was off in "MM: Wily Wars". Maybe it is the different system, or maybe the emulator I used didn't do the music right, but Metal Man's music was off.

Good. :)

Yeah, that comes from the half-assed PAL conversion Capcom did.

Does anyone know if there were plans to release Wily Wars in America? I always found it odd that it didn't come out here.

I think they had it for the Sega Channel at least.

I am ashamed to say that I don't any of the ultr@ r@re games listed.

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get the best ones someday :).

Great article as far as the Genesis goes but the Sega CD and 32X section seemed tacked on at the end. Perhaps a rare Sega CD article is appropriate with not only Snatcher but Space Adventure, Wirehead, Shadowrun, Illusion City, A-Rank Thunder, and the Working Design Games. They also forgot to mention Phantasy Star MD.

But all in all a great article. Zebbe is like the William Jennings Bryan of the Sega 16 bit community.

There isn't much more to put in the 32X section actually, but the CD section could need some more games, yes. Not the Working Designs games though (they are on the high demand list), they are very easy to get if you just have some money. Phantasy Star MD is also a game to be there, maybe on the high demand list.

I have never heard of the guy, but read a little about him on Wikipedia now. I don't quite see the similarities though, could you explain them? :D

Anyone else with some ideas on how to improve the article with more games etc.?

McTom
03-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Nice article, Zebbe.

Can you also tell me how rare these games are:

Rastan II (Genesis)
Fifa '96 (32X)

?

Zebbe
03-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Rastan II - not rare.
FIFA 96 - semi-rare. I see it pop up on Tradera quite often, but it doesn't attract high prices at all. Maybe it should be on this list, maybe not.

Nunzio
03-08-2008, 07:46 AM
What a great read!

Scooter
03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey! At least I own a few games on that list! Great read.

sonicwatcher6969
03-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats for another great article Zebbe!:D

Zebbe
03-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Thank you! :)

By the way, Mr Smith, you have also a reference in one of my articles:

http://www.sega-16.com/Features/Fan%20Translations/King%20Colossus%20%20Text.gif

:D

Me and Melf also has one, I try to include forum members whenever possible :D.

ThunderForce
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Panorama Cotton is not worth owning.

Mr Smith
03-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you! :)

By the way, Mr Smith, you have also a reference in one of my articles:

http://www.sega-16.com/Features/Fan%20Translations/King%20Colossus%20%20Text.gif

:D

Me and Melf also has one, I try to include forum members whenever possible :D.
Wow! I never noticed that. I shall have to pay more attention in the future.

Collision Cat
03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
A useful and interesting to read article. Nice. :mrgreen:

j_factor
03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
You should have mentioned Wisdom Tree's Joshua: The Battle of Jericho.

On second thought, maybe it's ok to pretend that game doesn't exist.

Other games that seem pretty rare to me:

Dino Land
Double Dragon
Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama
Operation Europe
Warrior of Rome II

InternalPrimate
03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I was actually surprised with how many games I own on that list. Though only two of them are the original cart/cd (Snatcher and MUSHA). The feature made me take a quick inventory of everything "rare" I own. I'm quite happy with my collection :)

Zebbe
03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
You should have mentioned Wisdom Tree's Joshua: The Battle of Jericho.

On second thought, maybe it's ok to pretend that game doesn't exist.

The Wisdom Tree games were briefly mentioned under the unlicensed games text. I don't think they deserve more than that.

Other games that seem pretty rare to me:

Dino Land
Double Dragon
Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama
Operation Europe
Warrior of Rome II

Yeah, some of those could definitely be on the list, especially Normy.

Noiman
03-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Excellent work, Zebbe! Have read it twice already :)

Zebbe
03-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Thank you, Noiman. All this great feedback from everyone strengthens my motivation to continue writing. :)

segagamer
03-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes, a good article overall, but like others have said, the Sega CD and 32X had other rare titles besides the titles mentioned in the article that should have been included.

An error I found: Yu Yu Hakusho. The title font you used is for the adventure game Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden, not the fighting game.

I am a collector and have every rare JP-only game mentioned in this article, except for Tetris.

Genesisdoes
03-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't own any of the games on the genesis list. But I do own a lot of sega CD gems like Shining Force CD. Ugh, need to get Snatcher.

ThunderForce
03-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Own Alien Soldier, JP Contra Hard Crops, MUSHA Aleste (JP MD), Pulseman, Undead Line. Had Twinkle Tale (meh to me I guess), had Eliminate Down (really want to purchase it again).

Might purchase Vampire Killer, but I own a loose copy of Bloodlines. :P

KenshiroX
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't have rare stuff. I have Warsong, which is under "high demand". I got mine cart only for $5. What does this game normally go for?

Dirt Ball Gamer
03-09-2008, 12:37 AM
I own most of these, except that damn snatcher! I keep getting sniped and just can't pay top dollar for some reason. I want it cheap! Great job Zebbe. So you can one credit undead line, very impressive. How do you do on the crazy difficulty, I can't do shit on crazy, it just rapes me right away. Still one of my favorite games though

VinnyT
03-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Awesome job! I had no idea this was going on under my nose when I made that other list.

This is a great reference. If this is mostly PAL games I guess I could take my list and turn it into a few (25) paragraphs.

Dirt Ball Gamer
03-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Panorama Cotton is not worth owning.

I didn't really think it was that great at first, but I really think it is a fun game and a mind raper, it just had to grow on me a little. Beuitiful graphics. I love space harrier style games though I could see how some might not like it.

Joe Redifer
03-09-2008, 05:44 AM
u forgot tha first Sonic tha Hedgehog and some john madden games u suk pleez die ok bye.

Dirt Ball Gamer
03-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Yor speling sukz

Zebbe
03-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Yes, a good article overall, but like others have said, the Sega CD and 32X had other rare titles besides the titles mentioned in the article that should have been included.

Do you have any suggestions?

An error I found: Yu Yu Hakusho. The title font you used is for the adventure game Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden, not the fighting game.

Blame Melf. I sent in the correct one >_<.

I have Warsong, which is under "high demand". I got mine cart only for $5. What does this game normally go for?

Cart only: that sum I think. Complete: at least $30.

How do you do on the crazy difficulty, I can't do shit on crazy, it just rapes me right away. Still one of my favorite games though

I haven't tried that one yet.

u forgot tha first Sonic tha Hedgehog and some john madden games u suk pleez die ok bye.

omg lolzor wtf ur right madden 93 limited edition and sonik non-not 4 resale shood b there yo!

TmEE
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Excellent article, I had quite a few laughs :D

and Panorama Cotton is a very good game... the first time I played it, I got to 5th stage... which on the second play turned out to be the last stage !!! I don't own the cart though... but I've played most of the games mentioned in the article, on real HW (I can't otherwise).

megabomberman
03-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Zebbe you are a god! This article needed to be done... and my god (zebbe) did you do it with such class, so thorough, so extensive, big thumbs up...

I was lay to a load of the joys of the megadrive a year or so ago when I started using this site, but it really is an education and this is another thesis that is essential in my degree.

Thank you!

Zebbe
03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
You're welcome :). I'll name my first son after you. I'll call him Jesus megabomberman :D.

108 Stars
03-09-2008, 11:17 AM
All in all a nice feature!
Some minor critics though:

I believe Fatal Fury 2 is the most expensive PAL game that is common elsewhere...

And you only rate Duke 3D THAT bad because you did not find the door in level 1; itīs a pretty fun game imho.

ThunderForce
03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I didn't really think it was that great at first, but I really think it is a fun game and a mind raper, it just had to grow on me a little. Beuitiful graphics. I love space harrier style games though I could see how some might not like it.

I tried many times to like Cotton. No, just no.

Then again I don't like the Cotton shmups either.

You want to know what sucks, I have a urge to buy Vampire Killer when the US release there's no diference.

Edit: Spend $52 shipped for Ex-Ranza when I have a loose copy of Ranger-X in the box. Wow.

In the last week:

Chelnov (Atomic Runner): $65 shipped.
Crude Buster (Two Crude Dudes): $40 shipped.

Zebbe
03-09-2008, 11:34 AM
All in all a nice feature!
Some minor critics though:

I believe Fatal Fury 2 is the most expensive PAL game that is common elsewhere...

I don't get your point. It is on the "Rare in the Region" list.

And you only rate Duke 3D THAT bad because you did not find the door in level 1; itīs a pretty fun game imho.

Honestly, that bloody door has nothing to do with it. I'm not used to FPS games so identifying a door is pretty hard for me. Since real life is pretty similar to FPS, except that you don't normally shoot people in it, it usually takes a ten minutes or so for me to get out of the house when I go to work, school etc.

ThunderForce
03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Honestly, that bloody door has nothing to do with it. I'm not used to FPS games so identifying a door is pretty hard for me. Since real life is pretty similar to FPS, except that you don't normally shoot people in it, it usually takes a ten minutes or so for me to get out of the house when I go to work, school etc.

And yet you brought it.

Zebbe
03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
But it's R@@@@RE !!!!!!101010101011elevenzero

TmEE
03-09-2008, 11:58 AM
it is a fun game... just someone went little crazy when turning the difficulty knob in dev process...

ThunderForce
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
But it's R@@@@RE !!!!!!101010101011elevenzero

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG.

SUUUPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Hehe.

David J.
03-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I have ROT3K 4 for the Saturn in English... too bad the 32X version never was in english. AWESOME game, but the game has a huge save file in the Saturn version.

All I really want from that list is MUSHA. Someday...

Henry Spencer
03-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Wow, I never knew Treasure made a beat em up, hell, the only Genesis games from them I knew about were Dynamite Headdy, that McD's game with the rapist, Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier. And I call myself a big fan of Treasure. Pffft.:confused:

I'll have to pick that one up. Thanks for this article, Zebbe, it was really informative (and Pulseman is awesome). Just out of interest; how rare would you say The Punisher for Genesis is?

starphaser
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
...as for brazilian rare games, you pretty much summed up the two really special titles: duke nuken 3d and yuyu hakusho. it's also pretty easy to buy genesis games here at very low prices; just check out auction sites such as the www.mercadolivre.com.br (our ebay).

there's also two jeopardy-like games called "show do milhão" that are utter crap and need portuguese understanding so you can actually play them. i wouldn't get near them, but if you want, you can try. they probably go for less than 20 R$ ( 13 U$)

i guess we brazilians aren't that careful about our games, though... most of the games i found so far are uncased, missing the manuals or really damaged.

but hey! there are people that care about us, brazilians! don't be mean in your article, zebbe! :~

starphaser
03-09-2008, 11:57 PM
for those interested: http://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/mega-drive_CategID_10010

108 Stars
03-10-2008, 03:40 AM

Seriously, itīs not half as bad as you say; itīs really a nice game, and definately better than Zero Tolerance.

Mr Smith
03-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Not a lot is worse than Zero Tollerance - overrated, annoying tosh.

Rusty Venture
03-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Duke3D is better on the PC anyway.

"Shake it baby!"

108 Stars
03-10-2008, 05:19 AM
I wanted to write a side-by-side of MD- and PlayStation-version (which is a direct port of the PC-version), but ePSXe does not run Duke 3D, so I canīt do my comparision screenshots.:(

And Rusty, pleeeeeaaaaaseeeee get a new sig....

Rusty Venture
03-10-2008, 05:25 AM
You find me a nice picture of Sarah Carter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0141931/) that I can use in my sig and it is a done deal.

Zebbe
03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll have to pick that one up. Thanks for this article, Zebbe, it was really informative (and Pulseman is awesome). Just out of interest; how rare would you say The Punisher for Genesis is?

The Genesis version isn't rare. The EU PAL version is though.

VinnyT
03-10-2008, 02:26 PM
You find me a nice picture of Sarah Carter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0141931/) that I can use in my sig and it is a done deal.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_ojfdVHBvsATRajzbkF/SIG=132uh0njk/EXP=1205259939/**http%3A//pelaajalehti.com/wordpress/wp-content/sarah-carter-dead-or-alive-02.jpg
Like that?

Wesker
03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
The exclusive Brazilian releases (Duke Nukem 3D and translated Yu Yu Hakusho Sunset Fighters mostly, because Nightmare Circus is a crap playability-wise) are the ones that kill me most. They appear very little on eBay, and when they do, they are in very shitty condition and/or incomplete, added to the fact that I cannot buy in the MercadoLibre thing. The same goes with the exclusive Brazilian Master System releases, which are far more.

I actually got the Japanese Monster World IV cheaper than I'm now getting the Bratwurst translated release. I don't see it being specially rare or expensive.

I also got PAL copies of Mega CD versions of The Adventures of Batman and Robin and Samurai Showdown for very little, but that's another story, as it's true they are usually very rare and expensive. In that case, the seller didn't actually know what he was selling.

PS: I like Spider-Man Web of Fire, and it's also notable for being very import friendly (specially for the European 32X) because, unlike most of 32X games, it hasn't regional lockout. Too bad this isn't the case of another game unreleased in PAL as Tempo.

The Genesis version isn't rare. The EU PAL version is though.

True. The USA release is common, but a PAL copy of Capcom's The Punisher can match the price of a PAL Megaman The Willy Wars, or even going higher. These two are definitely the rarest PAL Capcom games and were not even released in most of Europe (the reason they have only English, German and Spanish languages in their package and booklet).

starphaser
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
The exclusive Brazilian releases (Duke Nukem 3D and translated Yu Yu Hakusho Sunset Fighters mostly, because Nightmare Circus is a crap playability-wise) are the ones that kill me most. They appear very little on eBay, and when they do, they are in very shitty condition and/or incomplete, added to the fact that I cannot buy in the MercadoLibre thing. The same goes with the exclusive Brazilian Master System releases, which are far more.

even though nightmare circus is quite crappy playability-wise, the game concept is actually pretty interesting and it's worth a buy if you can find the game in mint condition for less than 10 dollars.

and if you want something from mercado livre, we can speak - i can buy them here and send it to you, no prob. :)

Kollision
03-11-2008, 12:31 AM
When I restarted collecting I began - obviously - through "Mercado Livre", as I had no knowledge at all on buying games online.

Let me put it this way: it S-U-C-K-S. People here don't care about games, which are always beaten up. I'm really sorry to say this, but the majority of Brazilian sellers are not realiable when it comes down to product description and conservation. They might even sell bootlegs!
And finally - believe me - you WILL find BETTER and CHEAPER games in eBay.

You should only rely on ML when you have no other option.

------------------
:D BTW - I'm glad to know there's another Brazilian fellow around here! :D

Rusty Venture
03-11-2008, 04:10 AM
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_ojfdVHBvsATRajzbkF/SIG=132uh0njk/EXP=1205259939/**http%3A//pelaajalehti.com/wordpress/wp-content/sarah-carter-dead-or-alive-02.jpg
Like that?

Worked better as an avatar.

starphaser
03-11-2008, 01:42 PM
it's just like i said before...

i guess we brazilians aren't that careful about our games, though... most of the games i found so far are uncased, missing the manuals or really damaged.

BTW - I'm glad to know there's another Brazilian fellow around here!

é bem legal mesmo :D

108 Stars
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
@Rusty
Thank you!!!:D

@Mercado Livre
Indeed, most games are loose there, but itīs about the only way to get TecToy-stuff.
I was lucky my buddy Tulio ordered Street Fighter II for MS for me; the seller declined to deliver to Germany because the shipping costs are not worth it; although I was to pay for shipping anyway. So he bought it, it was delivered to his house in Brazil and from there to Germany.

VinnyT
03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Worked better as an avatar.
I figured it could edit well into a sig, but what you have now is cool.

playgen
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I find it easier to just get Tectoy games from ebay, whether its from the few Brazilians who sell on ebay or collectors who have imported mint games and are selling up. Most sms games on Mercadio Livre are just trashed, then even if you find anything the chances of the seller accepting paypal are slim, too much hassle for me.

108 Stars
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Problem is I hardly ever see them on eBay, and if I do, they seem somewhat overpriced. To this day, the only TecToy-games I saw on eBay Germany were Duke Nukem 3D, Virtua Fighter Animation, Sonic Blast and Mortal Kombat 3; and I have seen each only once, although eBay Germany is usually has a large selection.

playgen
03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I've had all of my 18 tectoy exclusive sms games from ebay all at good prices too. Sure not all the games pop up on ebay frequently, but then they don't on Mercadio either, well not in decent condition anyway. If Mercadio was fully intergrated into ebay like all the other various countries ebays sites are, and paypal was is in general use it would be a whole different matter.

Kollision
03-12-2008, 12:26 AM
One of the most cherished Tectoy items I own is my CIB Raiden Trad.
The cover art is just beautiful, not like that horrible Genesis one.

Wesker
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
and if you want something from mercado livre, we can speak - i can buy them here and send it to you, no prob. :)

Check your PMs. ;)

tomitomou
03-30-2008, 03:09 PM
What the Mega-CD / 32X games ? (There's only four titles I think.)
Any rare ?

Splattervania
11-08-2009, 01:53 AM
What an awesome feature..i relished every part!

I am feeling sick and stoked at the same time because i have just forked out $760 (New Zealand $)for what could be the greatest single package of games i will ever get. I have bought of a reputable guy (and friend)who is selling his collection. Next week in the mail i will recieve (all complete and mint / near mint): Undeadline, Twinkle tale, Gleylancer, Slap Fight, Battle Mania 2, Gunship Gomora, V-V, (Jap version of Grind Stormer) and Pulseman.

Will only need 6 more shmups to have the complete MD shmup collection.

The Coop
11-09-2009, 02:44 AM
I'd like to point out that Eliminate Down wasn't Japan-only. There was a Korean version released by Samsung. That's the version I own.

Nobi
11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
on a scale of 1 to 10 just how rare is a cart only jmf 93 ce

The Sports Guy
11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I would say 6 or 7. I've never seen it in person, but it does pop up occasionally on ChasetheChuckWagon.

chessage
11-29-2009, 06:14 AM
on a scale of 1 to 10 just how rare is a cart only jmf 93 ce

I would say 6 or 7. I've never seen it in person, but it does pop up occasionally on ChasetheChuckWagon.

8 (http://www.rarityguide.com/genesis_view.php).

Markss
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
are tectoy games for mega drive rare i have techno clash

Jesse813
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
This was indeed a really good article :ok: